• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Theatrhythm Final Fantasy coming to iOS! [Up: New Music From FFT/Type0/More, Out Now]

Goli

What's the pricing to buy all the 3DS DLC + base game? Duckroll mentioned earlier it might be around $100, so this would be a bit more out of line than I expected (unless the new characters/songs are enough to make up the difference)

So then there's ~60 songs in the base game from the 4-pack bundles, and an additional 59 DLC songs you buy 1 a-piece for a total of around 120 tracks?

Each bundle has 4 songs, so 4 x 13 = 52 + the 59 other songs = 111 tracks.

SmokyDave

We need someone to do all the math. I'm curious if 3DS version will add up to iOS total

I wonder how regional variations will factor in. Each DLC song in the UK will be 69p presumably, compared to 90p for the 3DS versions. That's going to make a difference.

Ideally we need to know how much it costs to bring the iOS version up to parity with the 3DS version, how much it costs to 'max out' both and what the difference in content is at that point.

Crack out those calculators.

Forkball

Wait, it has no songs at the start? That's uh... something. It was pretty hard to unlock all songs and characters in the 3DS version though. I just want Eyes on Me! Also I wonder if Dark Notes are in the iOS version, that was the best part.

LiK

Wait, it has no songs at the start? That's uh... something. It was pretty hard to unlock all songs and characters in the 3DS version though. I just want Eyes on Me! Also I wonder if Dark Notes are in the iOS version, that was the best part.

I think it comes with two songs.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
I think the biggest offender is the fact we have to pay for having other characters in iOS version, while you just unlock them in the 3DS version. That's a 50 USD v.s. 0 difference.

shira

I think the biggest offender is the fact we have to pay for having other characters in iOS version, while you just unlock them in the 3DS version. That's a 50 USD v.s. 0 difference.

dat Nintendo tax. . . er savings

Vuffster

If memory serves, 3DS Theatrhythm has 52 DLC songs at $0.99 each, so that's ~$52 worth of DLC, plus however much you paid for the base game. So the 3DS version is definitely cheaper if you buy everything in each version, but it also doesn't have some of the songs and characters that the iOS version makes available. Not sure if there are any songs in the 3DS version that aren't in the iOS version, though.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
How many DLC tracks are there in the 3DS version? 50+?

Assuming there are 50 tracks as DLC and you buy them all, that is $75 AUD. I bought the base game for $50 AUD, so $125 AUD overall.

The 3DS version still seems the cheaper option no matter your region.

Ridley327

If memory serves, 3DS Theatrhythm has 52 DLC songs at $0.99 each, so that's ~$52 worth of DLC, plus however much you paid for the base game. So the 3DS version is definitely cheaper if you buy everything in each version, but it also doesn't have some of the songs and characters that the iOS version makes available. Not sure if there are any songs in the 3DS version that aren't in the iOS version, though.

All 13 EMS songs have been axed from the iOS version.

Somnid

The real travesty is that even though they have the capability built in there's a slim chance we'll see the additional songs and characters on 3DS and it certainly doesn't seem like Square-Enix is in any hurry to put it on the eShop.

Celegus

Going off of this logic, does GAF hate Rock Band too because buying all the DLC would cost hundreds (thousands?) of dollars? If you don't want it, don't buy it. Shocking!

heringer

Couldn't it be the case that characters are unlocked like in the 3DS version, but if you want them right away you have to buy it? A lot of iOS games do that.

Ridley327

Going off of this logic, does GAF hate Rock Band too because buying all the DLC would cost hundreds (thousands?) of dollars? If you don't want it, don't buy it. Shocking!

That's not the issue here; the issue is that to get on something resembling parity with the 3DS version of the game as is, as in all of the stuff it came with at no additional cost, you're spending more than twice the cost of the game than it was as a $40 game when it came out, and you'd still be missing 13 songs as a result.

Tarps

The real travesty is that even though they have the capability built in there's a slim chance we'll see the additional songs and characters on 3DS and it certainly doesn't seem like Square-Enix is in any hurry to put it on the eShop.

Why are you so certain? Surely this would be a no brainer?

I switched to my US account and now the pricing appears right.
Each song costs 0.99, each song bundle from each numbered FF costs 2.99 and each character costs 1.99 USD.
There's currently 25 buyable characters, so buying all of them costs about 50 USD.
There's currently 13 music bundles that give you more or less the same music the vanilla 3DS version comes with, so buying all bundles costs about 40 USD.
Finally, there's currently 59 single song purchases that are more or less the same offered in the 3DS versions as paid DLC, so buying all of them costs about 59 USD.
That means... that buying everything availiable right now would cost you about 150 USD.
Wow.

Feck me.

Midou

This is what I was getting at. iPad should be better, but on something smaller I honestly see it as a hassle. Battle With the Four Fiends on iPod Touch will be interesting.

Yes, also I imagine arrow directions will be a lot more annoying with a finger too, didn't think of that until I remembered how it plays more.

LuuKyK

Yes! Will buy. I am a sucker for rhythm games, and this is final fantasy related so its a no brainer. I can already see I'm going to give Square a lot of money for new songs. :|

Aeana

Bleh. I might get a couple of songs, but the 3DS version was a much better value for me since I didn't even pay MSRP.

Don't forget capacitive stylii exist! I actually bought a couple for taiko no tatsujin + (didn't really work out because you can't really use them at a steep enough angle for drumming) and if the game system hasn't been adjusted it should work really well here - my only concern is not being able to see the action if there isn't enough empty space built into the screen.

Bleh. I might get a couple of songs, but the 3DS version was a much better value for me since I didn't even pay MSRP.

This is true of every last one of Square Enix's ports to iOS. FFT is probably the worst offender here, being $18-20 on iOS vs $0-10 on PSN.

I never felt like grinding out all the characters in the 3DS game, so I really only played with the base ones. I would probably buy 1 or 2 characters in this game and a few dozen songs and come out better than the $40 I paid last time. I don't need every single song and I sure as hell don't need every character. I like this model.

Also those screens seem to indicate that I can actually listen to DLC tracks before buying them, that was a bummer in the original version

Thoraxes

Yes! Will buy. I am a sucker for rhythm games, and this is final fantasy related so its a no brainer. I can already see I'm going to give Square a lot of money for new songs. :|
If you live in the US, have a 3DS, and plan on spending more than $20 on this iOS app, the SE NA store has Theatrhythm 3DS for $20 right now, so you'll get more bang for your buck.

If not, then still enjoy the fun game!

chiablo

Not sure how I feel about a stealth release like this.

NEVERMIND! I freaking love stealth releases like this! :D

Now if only the Phoenix Wright HD Trilogy would drop today too.

Caelestis

I am sort of okay with this free + dlc model for once. Since I already own the 3DS version of the game and most of the DLC there, I can just buy whatever new songs they have here.

LuuKyK

If you live in the US, have a 3DS, and plan on spending more than $20 on this iOS app, the SE NA store has Theatrhythm 3DS for $20 right now, so you'll get more bang for your buck.

If not, then still enjoy the fun game!

Sadly, I don't live in the US and I don't have a 3DS because it is really expensive here (like everything game related). :|

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Honestly I think it's pretty obvious that the 3DS version is the superior option here, if just for the stylus control and generally more robust package (additional modes, etc). Anyone who just got a 3DS and is feeling burned, don't. The 3DS game is still an absolutely excellent purchase, the existence of this app notwithstanding.

That said, boy I sure hope some of these new songs come to the 3DS version as DLC at some point in the future. I loved Theatrhythm so much that I almost decided to buy ALL of the DLC but gladly I restrained myself only to the extra songs that sounded neat. I am sure there are a fair number of neat ones in this new selection that I can see myself wanting.

The DLC characters in this iOS version is pretty insane, though. That they cost like 2x the price of a song, specifically. The character selection is probably the least important part of the game, they're just bouncing little faces.

The DLC characters in this iOS version is pretty insane, though. That they cost like 2x the price of a song, specifically. The character selection is probably the least important part of the game, they're just bouncing little faces.

If you don't play Stoic all the time characters totally matter in the 3DS version; every character acquires different skills as they level up which become useful for killing things faster (to get shards quicker). I'm actually wondering how all the level up and item collecting stuff is going to work on this version.

Wiz

I'm probably one of the few who bought all the DLC in the 3DS game, and I don't regret it either, as I enjoy most if not all of the music. Square Enix will make a killing off this IAP model.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Does the iOS port have Dark Notes or some equivalent to the Streetpass stuff?

If you don't play Stoic all the time characters totally matter in the 3DS version; every character acquires different skills as they level up which become useful for killing things faster (to get shards quicker). I'm actually wondering how all the level up and item collecting stuff is going to work on this version.

Yeah, no item runs for score & using certain chars w/ equipment for item unlocks/hunting.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!

Sure, but you can just buy 4 (or fewer, if the base selection is good) good characters and be done with that. Maybe that's why they're more expensive, actually, since there's no real motivation to actually get them all.

Wait, so this is only up in New Zealand yet? I can't find in the app store... (just confirming)

Yes, it's up in New Zealand and maybe a few other Asian territories right now, as every scheduled launch is. It'll hit the US App Store at 11 PM Eastern.

Somnid

Why are you so certain? Surely this would be a no brainer?

It is but I'd be fairly sure that Square Enix execs look at this and think now that it's on iOS everybody will rebuy stuff to have one place with the new content. That's kinda how Japanese business models tend to work and Square-Enix is definitely not one to step out of line on that.

Sora_N

if i get an iphone or new itouch, rinoa is so mine...other than that i'll stick with my 3ds version. I never bought the dlc songs lol

Top Bottom