• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

There are too many shows starring neurotic white guys

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goodstyle

Usually I'm against the arbitrary trashing of "white males" as practiced by some corners on the internet, but this is a thing I've been seeing way too often on TV shows.

Santa Clariat Diet
Trial and Error
Dirk Gently
The Grinder (which was cancelled before its time)
Love

And those are just newer shows I've been trying to watch recently, look at TV history to see way more. Watching the first 2 back to back is grating as hell. Listening to Olyphant in SCD, and then watching the main lawyer from Trial and Lawyer play the exact same character in a different setting is annoying.

There's too many of these white guys who are super squeamish, whine about everything, and then gather confidence to do something super ballsy out of nowhere which impresses their standoffish female love interest, only to return to being whiny weirdos. The worst part about them is that they seem so much like author self-inserts, probably the creator directing his fantasies and making them into a TV show.

And I'm not saying these shows are bad. I enjoyed SCD, and The Grinder should have never been canceled, but holy shit tv writers, find another type of character to centre your shows around. We don't need the same awkwardly talkative white dude whining about his non-problems every two seconds.

If this topic offended you, I'm sorry. I just feel like I've had it. Watching the first 2 eps of Trial and Error, and the main character is making me so mad. I've seen him a million times before, enough is enough! Find new ways to write this character. The Good Place did it with Chidi (I can't say more without giving it away), other shows can too.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Well​, why are you watching all those shows then? There are plenty of other shows starring characters who are nothing like that.

Trouble

Banned
Here, I'll list some shows people have actually heard of.

- Seinfeld
- Curb Your Enthusiasm
- Scrubs
- Chuck
- Silicon Valley

Goodstyle

Well​, why are you watching all those shows then? There are plenty of other shows starring characters who are nothing like that.

I'm not watching all, there will be drops. I watch a lot of TV in general, and these characters don't ruin the show as a whole as I said in my opening post. It's just a trope that shows up way, way, way too often.

Fuchsdh

I don't think some of the shows you listed, such as Santa Clarita Diet, actually fit into the mold of neurotic white guys.

That said, more broadly, I do think the neurotic characters (usually the white guy, but honestly it seems to crop up with other ethnicities just in supporting roles) is pretty annoying. I don't deal with those people in real life, why would I watch a show featuring them?

Goodstyle

Do you want a medal or something.

You could add "Big Bang Theory", "Monk", any police procedural starring a cop and someone who isn't a cop, and so much more.

It's a thing, I suppose.

Ya, a huge amount of tv shows are like this. I mostly listed newer shows to demonstrate the point that production of them is not slowing down one bit.

ZOONAMI

Do you want a medal or something.

You could add "Big Bang Theory", "Monk", any police procedural starring a cop and someone who isn't a cop, and so much more.

It's a thing, I suppose.

Big Bang theory is terrible and Monk I've never gotten into.

The point is I watch a lot of tv and I don't really think this is some kind of prevailing issue. It's the golden age of television. There is a ton of stuff to watch.

And yeah I agree with Seinfeld and curb (Larry David is probably the definition of a neurotic white guy so it isn't surprising) but both are pretty dated now.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I'm waiting for the show just called "Neurotic White Guys". It'll get 12 seasons

Gorillaz

The only show I know on that list OP put up was Love and that's beause Netflix always has that big ass spread for their new shows they sponsor on the main page and Love was there for like 3 weeks

ZOONAMI

I guess. At least he's got a legit reason for being neurotic, though.

He's not actually schizophrenic.

Yeah I know, but it's a hell of a lot more interesting than generally distressed white guy.

That's the other thing here, neurotic isn't a psychologically accepted term any more.

I don't necessarily see what the problem is with a white guy, or anyone else, being generally distressed. Usually all the other characters in a show with a "neurotic" white guy could also be described as neurotic.

Out of every show named in this thread, Seinfield is the only one ive seen more than one episode of (curb being the only other one ive seen at all).

Maybe you just like shows about neurotic white guys! ¯_(ツ)_/¯

Dear Neurotic White Guys.

But yeah maybe just find some other shows out there, OP. Don't keep ingesting kinds of TV shows you don't even enjoy.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
It's the writers.

Love Olyphant but you couldn't pay me to watch another second of Santa Clarita Diet. Found it to just be obnoxious and not even remotely funny.

I know exactly what you're talking about. This video nailed it when it lampooned how similar some of these shows are: https://youtu.be/nNRNCD-Xm5c

I like You're the Worst and Casual. But it's so true.

Hubbl3

Unconfirmed Member
Love is an incredibly annoying show and I hate its protagonist.

It really is.

It's a shame too because I really like Gillian Jacobs and I'd like her to find success after Community, but my god can I not stand her character in that show or the fuckstick protagonist. I tried watching season 2 and quit after the first episode.

Shredderi

Male sitcom leads are universally terrible human beings.

I don't think I've ever seen one that I didn't want to punch in the face.

I have a really hard time trying to come up with a male sitcom lead that wasn't annoying/whiny/jerk/insecure and jerk because of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom