• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

There is now a Bethesda.net launcher (a la Origin, Steam, uPlay, Battle.net, etc)

What's your favorite PC game launcher client/store?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
oh fuck off bethesda. I really hope we don't need a special login/account just to play future bethsoft games.

I had to create a new account to register for the Elder Scrolls Legends beta (which also uses this).

Hilariously it's not the same as your Elder Scrolls Online account.

They are not leaving Steam, so this argument doesn't really work.

Sure it does. The portion of sales going through this launcher gives them higher margin. There's no other reason to start a new service like this unless it's for margin and/or additional revenue streams.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
The thirst to keep that 30% cut 3rd part distribution services takes is real.

And for a company that sells as many copies as Bethesda, that 30% is fucking HUGE.

Hell, I'd go for it too. How is this a stupid move, business wise?

I don't need launchers that run perfectly. Honestly there's a certain charm that comes with the jankiness of a non-perfect launcher that nobody else in the industry can replicate.

Tecnniqe

Banned
I had to create a new account to register for the Elder Scrolls Legends beta (which also uses this).

Hilariously it's not the same as your Elder Scrolls Online account.

shakinghead_zpsca7dccc3.gif

RedSwirl

At best, I could see Bethesda needing to have this as a cross-platform portal for DOOM SnapMap and a PC-to-console portal for Fallout mods.

I honestly don't expect Bethesda to deliberately try to cut out the Nexus mod community though.

Kevin

It won't be long before Steam has nothing but Indie titles and that sucks. I've been using Steam since it was in beta with of course only Valve titles available. Absolutely love Steam and it's a real shame that it seems that all major game publishers are trying to do their own platform now.

Setsuna

It also saves you having to download patches from Ubi's dodgy servers. Also if you're like me, you just buy single player Ubisoft games on Steam, then download a crack so you don't have to install Uplay at all. Worked fine for Splinter Cell Blacklist, Far Cry 3 etc.

Did we go back to 2007?

A-V-B

At best, I could see Bethesda needing to have this as a cross-platform portal for DOOM SnapMap and a PC-to-console portal for Fallout mods.

I honestly don't expect Bethesda to deliberately try to cut out the Nexus mod community though.

What would it cost them, I wonder? Surely they wouldn't try and say removing "free" modding is losing potential sales.

Corpekata

Banned
I think ya'll might be going a little too chicken little. If they were really pulling something big they would have done it when F04 launched. The only game they're going to be able to pull this with is the next Fallout and the next Elder Scrolls, which are both far away.

I mean, Bethesda releases like 2 games a year, and ones that are frequently single player focused. Guess it will be 3 this year with Doom, Dishonored 2, and Elder Scrolls Legends.

Corpekata

Banned
Did we go back to 2007?

No? Uplay's still shitty with downloading updates. It just barely got "download while I'm idle" patching in 2015. Nintendo figured it out before they did. Nintendo.

Even then I find it often requires launching a game to check for patches.

Guess I'm not gonna buy Bethesda games unless they are heavily discounted just like Ubisoft and EA games. And even then only if it is a must have which EA and Ubisoft don't make much of for me and Fallout 4's streamlining (downgrading) kinda made me cynical about Bethesda's games.

Of course. And they won't offer Steam codes through third party sites like everyone else with a launcher, oh joy.

Now that I think about this, it's kind of funny to me how uPlay and such actually wind up strengthening Steam since they push a larger number of people to buy their games there.

D

Deleted member 144138

Unconfirmed Member
Cynical Prediction Time!

It's a client that will be forced to run whenever their games are started on your PC. Maybe not their already-released games, but definitely going forward.

It will also be used to "subscribe" to mods like with Steam Workshop.

At some point in the future, only mods that go through this system will be allowed to alter the games. This will be justified by the argument that "players get the same experience across consoles and PC", and that it stops "pirated" or "copyright infringing" free versions of paid mods to protect users and creators.

7384102.gif

sflufan

Banned
This was announced at Bethesda's E3 event last year in conjunction with the SnapMap features of DOOM and Fallout 4 mods for the consoles.

Olli128

Ew, the insane amount of launchers and accounts to remember is one of the reasons I do most of my gaming on playstation. Looks like I'm gonna have to deal with this shit for the next elder scrolls and fallout 4 mods though :(

MUnited83

For you.
Sure it does. The portion of sales going through this launcher gives them higher margin. There's no other reason to start a new service like this unless it's for margin and/or additional revenue streams.

It doesn't, because they could already open a store that sold steam keys and get 100% the revenue. The higher margin excuse never really made any sense if they dont leave steam entirely. Which they won't.

Nere

Why do they release those shitty launchers all the time? If they don't like steam why don't they just release the game on it's own like the good old times?

Ozium

um.. where is the launcher anyway? I am looking all over bethesda.net and see no download links or anything..

searching the web I only see people talking about it on steam forums regarding fallout 4, and it makes it seem like any other launcher, like Kalypso Launcher for Tropico, to launch a specific game w/ a login for DRM purposes, I haven't played FO4 so I don't know...

no where am I seeing it is a client like Steam/Uplay/Origin

maybe I'm blind, can someone show me?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
It doesn't, because they could already open a store that sold steam keys and get 100% the revenue. The higher margin excuse never really made any sense if they dont leave steam entirely. Which they won't.

I think Queso is thinking, as well, of the 30% of add-on content, which in Bethesda's case will include paid mods. Even if you can sell your main games on your site without giving Valve a cut, there'll be limits when you start trying to take their 30% across the board.

I don't really think so. You can generate and sell Steam keys as you wish. They could simply open up a web store and sell Steam keys for 100% revenue. Also I imagine copies of uPlay/RockstarSocial/whatever games are still probably 95%+ sold through Steam since they give users the option to do so. It is hard to believe that anyone actually buys games directly through these awful store fronts unless they have to.

These launchers/stores are power plays by big publishers so they don't have to be explicitly attached/dependent to a third party service like Steam. Also by doing this they lock users access to their games to themselves (for more of a sense of control perhaps?). This is definitely one of the worst trends in PC gaming. I don't think I have ever heard any normal person say they enjoy this shit.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
I really have to wonder about the analysis that goes into the decision to launch one of these. Can anyone make a convincing case that uPlay has been a worthwhile endeavor for Ubi once you account for opportunity cost?

CRM program. Huge retention and remarketing program. You don't make the money selling games on it, you make the money RE-targeting users in the database to up sell them on future games and DLC. You learn a shit ton about your users too through cookieing and behavior analysis of their web usage, to build models for programmatic media targeting. It's efficient. It's why everyone has one, and most companies do.

You can thank My Coke Rewards really

Not the best of news I must say, I've been a fan of Bethesda for a long time, and if they take games off steam into some shitty uplay type clone then my love affair with Fallout and Elder Scrolls will die. I want one hub for all my games, excluding Battle net for obvious reasons not loads of clients for a few games.

By having a launcher, you have complete control over the user and the experience.

You also don't compete directly with your retail partners by setting up a store that literally does nothing other than sell keys.

And once that control is established, you can utilize the business intelligence that goes along with tracking usage, building databases of customers which includes identifying, profiling and targeting users of different levels and then marketing to these people directly.

So yeah, it is about margin and revenues. There is literally no other reason to invest in the infrastructure and people to set it up.

EDIT: what Harker says.

This is the one thing that really pisses me off about PC gaming.
Updates, drivers, patches, no problem.
Multiple accounts, launchers, different passwords tied to games all over the place is a huge and unnecessary pain in the ass!
Steam is fine with me, origin I can tolerate but the rest are garbage!
I don't want to jump through hoops! I just want to buy a game and play it. It is really that hard for publishers to grasp.

Top Bottom