• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

There sure are a lot of 90's nu-metal/alt-metal bands still at it

Status
Not open for further replies.

cj_iwakura

I don't care what anyone says but System of a Down is a great band, up there with Deftones. Serj Tankian is an amazing vocalist and quite the political activist as well.

He's really come into his own as a soloist, too. One of the few really worthy of the name, since he can do it all.

Khrno

Would you say it's more on the "softer" side like AHIG was? Well as soft as Slipknot get at least

.5TGC soft? lol no

It's the second heavier after the original, probably a toss up with Iowa.

Custer is my favourite second song from them just after Surfacing

gimmmick

Damn all these bands I loved / enjoying listening to back in HS (98-02). I'm still happy incubus is still putting out music and touring .

I don't care what anyone says but System of a Down is a great band, up there with Deftones. Serj Tankian is an amazing vocalist and quite the political activist as well.

They get a lot of hate(much of the time because they are outspoken) but 20 years from now, they will be remembered.

dcassell

Banned
System of a Down still holds up to me for sure, but going back through some of this makes it hard for me to understand how it got so popular in the early 2000's. Even in early college years, people took Disturbed, A7X, and Slipknot very seriously until just a bit ago (like 2010-ish).

I'm currently revisiting a lot of this music. Most hasn't held up as well as I thought it would, but SOAD and Deftones are still prime, as stated in this thread.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
People consider Rise Against metal? I've never thought of them as anything but punk.

SOAD was the only nu-metal I ever bought. I actually stopped listening to a certain local radio station when they put Linkin Park on their playlist.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Can anyone name a new rock band, like ROCK, not death metal, not alt rock, hard rock, that's worth a damn.

I'm constantly looking and I keep coming back to bands that have existed for at least 10 years.

Don't group Godsmack in with Crazy Town, please...they are still doing good stuff, Oracle was excellent...godsmack was never numetal or whatever its called.. I'd even argue newer Papa Roach is better than mid career PR.

Seriously, please name me a new band to explore, I was trying to dig through bands on Spotify and couldn't find any new shit that really "rocked" without a screeching screaming singer.

Side note, recently Spotify said that they play more rock than top 40, radio stations have abandoned rock and its forcing us online, which I'm fine with, just thought that was intrrsting .

You might be into Ghost. Fits your description pretty well.

I had almost given up on liking any new rock acts until I happened upon Ghost. Best new rock music I've heard since the 90s.

Granted, a lot of the reason I like them is probably because they're pretty derivative of older rock acts.

Not quite, but they were definitely grouped in with other nu-metal acts at the time. They did collaborations with Fred Durst, Corey Taylor, etc. which didn't help.

The last Sepultura record he did was pretty Nu-Metal, so I'd definitely call Soufly that. (Roots is a garbage record)

ThisGuy

A thread based on my guilty pleasures. Every once in awhile I'll play some of the hits to reminisce.

Hed pe - renegade is a good one for those of you using this thread and the limpbizkit thread to scour youtube.

Can anyone name a new rock band, like ROCK, not death metal, not alt rock, hard rock, that's worth a damn.

I'm constantly looking and I keep coming back to bands that have existed for at least 10 years.

Don't group Godsmack in with Crazy Town, please...they are still doing good stuff, Oracle was excellent...godsmack was never numetal or whatever its called.. I'd even argue newer Papa Roach is better than mid career PR.

Seriously, please name me a new band to explore, I was trying to dig through bands on Spotify and couldn't find any new shit that really "rocked" without a screeching screaming singer.

Side note, recently Spotify said that they play more rock than top 40, radio stations have abandoned rock and its forcing us online, which I'm fine with, just thought that was intrrsting .

Graveyard, Valkyrie, Ghost, Clutch, Ty Seagall, FIDLAR, Hark, newer Baroness, Ides of Gemini, Band of Skulls, and Royal Thunder have all put stuff out in the past few years that might fit what you're looking for.

funkypie

Banned
What happened to linken park? After their 3rd album they went shit, like really shit.

Finch are finally back together after a long break, I missed seeing them in my city recently.

I liked that fear song will check out some more.

MilkLizard

This is why I can't listen to modern rock radio stations anymore, because most of them haven't moved past this time frame, and if they have they play garbage like Five Finger Death Punch.

I went to an amazing festival last year that had a bunch of amazing bands (NOFX, Lagwagon, Strung Out, Meshuggah, The Gaslight Anthem... the list goes on) but Five Finger Death Punch was there and they were greeted with a chorus of boos. It made me so happy. What a terrible band.

That break-up song...So bad.

This thread made me listen to Linkin Parks Hybrid Theory right now. The memories...

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Why do people hate Nu Metal / Alt. Rock so much? Slipknot, Disturbed, Staind, etc. were actually pretty decent back in the days... Same for Linkin Park and Limp Bizkit (around 1999-2003)

I think for some reason they try to associate it with emo rock or something. in other words teenage angst music.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
I was 15-18 when nu metal peaked so it was my favourite music for a while. But I was constantly looking for more, better music so eventually became a fan of what music elitists would refer to as "proper" metal.

I figure that nu metal will come back into fashion soon (or already is back in fashion) as my generation enters middle age and we start pining for the good ol' days of crawling in our skins and rollin' rollin' rollin.

big_z

I wouldn't really call orgy nu-metal, especially not the new stuff which sounds more like jays club material than original orgy.

I really liked that song from Orgy. Bought it on itunes. Thanks for the recommendation!

Check out the rest of the EP, theres better songs on it. Theres a second EP coming later in the year as well. I really hope the lyrics improve and become obscure again. Not a fan of the sex focus on the ep.

No problem. I really feel like Orgy would be in a position similar to Deftones today had they not taken that huge hiatus through most of the 00's. Jay Gordon's a hell of a musician and it says a lot that Orgy still sounds great today despite him being the only original member left.

well the other guys were kicked out by jay because he got tired of them being busy with julien-k and other side projects. every now and then they express interest in reforming the original orgy but its hard to say if it will happen. might depend on how the two eps do.

btw that hiatus was largely due to legal issues with warner music. I agree waiting it out hurt them long term and it sucks that they lost the third album in legal hell.

Regarding Rammstein, they were my favorite band from like 1998 to 2006, and they're still pretty high up there on my list even today. I hope they get a new album out soonish. It's already been six years since Liebe ist für alle da. Although I do feel like their next one could be their last. This is the longest hiatus from recording they've ever taken and none of them seems to be in a hurry to get back to it.

I also like rammstein. they took a long break after mutter and came back with a different sound and tons of material. I wouldn't be surprised if the sound changes again on the new stuff and we get another batch of albums out of it. They recently announced they'll be in studio recording by September.

EDIT: is spineshank still alive? they've been quiet since ADA which wasn't a great comeback.

KeRaSh

Kittie, Ill Nino, 36 Crazyfists, Spineshank, Nonpoint, all still around. Fucking POD is about to release a new album apparently. Ridiculous.

I think the first Static-X album is also more industrial rock than nu metal. It certainly stands apart from their jumpdafuckup peers at the time. IMO, anyway.

Two of the biggest factors are probably it's being perceived as juvenile as well as sort of lowest common denominator kind of music.

Holy shit I totally forgot about 36 Crazyfists and Spineshank. I know what I'm going to listen to for the rest of the day. :D

What happened to linken park? After their 3rd album they went shit, like really shit.

Well Linkin Park changed their style because they didn't want to put out 8 albums that all sound like Hybrid Theory or Meteora. They grew up and the record label didn't have that much power over them like it did at the beginning. I respect that but I personally don't enjoy their output as much as I did back in the days.

God, I thank the people around me and my own good taste I never ever listened to most of this crap. I can do some slipknot Iowa level or the third album and that is about it. The occasional early Korn song or something.

System of a Down I don't generally regard as Nu Metal but okay they still hold up pretty well.

Half of these bands split up, entered the real world for a few years, completely shat it then reformed and started touring again ASAP.

Number_6

Does 311 count here? They're still actively touring and releasing albums. They have a fuckin' cruise trip every year for fans where they perform on the ship lol http://www.311cruise.com/

Their music has been bad for a long time at this point, but I unironically loved a few of their 90's albums growing up.

Nah, 311 blended several genres and pretty much played whatever they felt like since 1988.

Their popularity peaked around the height nu-metal's popularity, but I've always considered them their own thing, both for musical style and lyrical content.

They've grown older and softer and their albums have been pretty shitty for the past decade or so, but none of that matters because 311 is a band focused on live performance, not records. They're not nu-metal tryhards past their prime--they're doing what they've always done: bring it live.

What's wrong with Nu-Metal? So many people like to bash it it, but I've never heard anybody explain why
The worst thing about it to me is just how little any of them do with their guitars. There's nothing to the playing, and there's so much crunchy distortion over it that it doesn't even have any tone.

The new Coal Chamber cd blew me away. It's easily their best cd. Also I didn't know Orgy and Dope put out new cds! Holy shit! Here's a little known secret, the band Dope is actually fucking awesome. Felons and Revolutionaries is good, but probably what most people heard and dismissed them for though, but the cd Life is fantastic, full of anthems for believing in yourself, not giving a fuck, and having the best life you can and not letting others bring you down.

Now that all the hot topic kids have grown up and have jobs, you gotta reunite and keep going to get that sweet nostalgia crash.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
My god that Papa Roach song is so fucking bad, did a 15 year old write the lyrics?

Fjordson

Nah, 311 blended several genres and pretty much played whatever they felt like since 1988.

Their popularity peaked around the height nu-metal's popularity, but I've always considered them their own thing, both for musical style and lyrical content.

They've grown older and softer and their albums have been pretty shitty for the past decade or so, but none of that matters because 311 is a band focused on live performance, not records. They're not nu-metal tryhards past their prime--they're doing what they've always done: bring it live.
Yeah, you're probably right. They had some reggae influences and other shit in all their music from the start.

I really love some of their albums, though. Grassroots, blue album, Music, etc. I still enjoying listening to them actually. But yeah, can't stand anything they've put out since like 2001. And not even just because it's softer, it's just really boring (and my taste in music has changed a bit from when I was growing up).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom