• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

There will be no daily & flash deals in the upcoming Steam Autumn sale (25/11)

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
This is more consistent, so I prefer it. No more of this waiting for dailies/flash sales crap.

kionedrik

I believe a lot of people are overreacting. Just because there's only one discount doesn't mean the sale as we know ended or there won't be any high discounted games.
Perhaps instead of having a -50% normal discount and a -80% daily discount a tittle can have a -60%/-70% discount throughout the sale.

That's great news.
Now i will be able to get the games on my wishlist as soon as the sale starts,instead of waiting for dailies\last day of the sale.

If it's just the autumn sale then I don't mind. I actually hate the Thanksgiving sale because it's so close to the Winter sale that I don't know if I should pull the trigger now or later.

Featured sales were so pointless and anti-consumer. Those who didn't know the 'rules' got screwed, those who did had to pointlessly sit to the end. Why? What's the point having two big sales so close together also? Are games going to be cheaper in the winter sale?

PaulLFC

This is likely good for my wallet. Past Steam sales have conditioned me to wait for at least 66% off if not 75% unless I really want to play a game right now.

If a game has to have one discount for the duration of the sale, the likelihood is we won't see many newer games at these discount levels, so looks like I'll be spending less.

Atwa

Banned
There was never any point buying games that weren't on daily/flash anyway.
The basic rule of steam sales were, WAIT FOR FLASH SALE.

So its fine.

Jimrpg

I believe a lot of people are overreacting. Just because there's only one discount doesn't mean the sale as we know ended or there won't be any high discounted games.
Perhaps instead of having a -50% normal discount and a -80% daily discount a tittle can have a -60%/-70% discount throughout the sale.

I agree with your first point.

There's no evidence though they will scale back their discounts because there's no dailies. The discounts are supposed to drive number of copies sold. I'm sure somewhere they'll have worked out, $10 sells this many copies and $5 sells this many copies etc. Not getting the revenue they need will hurt even more in terms of reduced share price and investors. It's like a Dutch Auction - they have one shot so there's no low balling.

People are just assuming its the 'normal discount' every day, but they could easily put that big discount on every day.

Besides who really purchased the game at the normal discount without waiting for the daily/flash - i bet nobody. The system was crap - you had to wait and sometimes you bought other things instead and had no money for what you wanted to buy in the first place.

RobNBanks

Banned
This is more consistent, so I prefer it. No more of this waiting for dailies/flash sales crap.

Yep.

I only look for certain games during sales so if what I want isn't at the price point I'm willing to pay, I can stop paying attention. I don't have to keep checking hoping it shows up in a daily or flash deal

Also now you don't have to deal with forumers asking "should i buy this now!?" and met with "wait for the dailies!"

DMiz

Not sure how I feel about this. On one hand, it'll make shopping during this season incredibly easier - on the other hand, this is one of the reasons why I switched to things like GMG a while ago.

sprinkles

The best sale was the Summer 12 one where they introduced flash deals and community votes and those ran for different durations so you had to check at least every 6ish hours to not miss any deals.

Berrigal

Neo Member
I'd rather have to put in the effort and go through the (unless you're really into it) inconvienience of checking Steam daily for better discounts than getting worse discounts but having ages to check them.

Blitzhex

I still miss those sales where you had to earn game achievements to earn prizes. Discounts felt steeper back then aswell.

Bliddo

I have a fond memory of a winter sale where you had to collect a bunch of achievements to collect coal pieces. It forced you to play some really cool games, it was a lot of fun. It all went downhill from there.

Anno

They'll probably get more sales from me if anything. I always see one or two good deals on the first day, hold off on buying them in case they come on to a daily sale then forget about it later or just talk myself out of it entirely.

Curious though what data Valve is seeing to make this change.

I've bought games I normally wouldn't have during those daily deals, because I was on the fence and it was such a good deal. I've also discovered new games when coming back to see what new deals there are. So in my mind this is bad for the developers/publishers who used to get the great daily deals. However, I could see how developers/publishers whose games are NOT featured as daily deals were suffering, because most people were only buying the deals.

Next thing you know Valve is going to bring out a dialogue wheel for purchasing.

Do you want to buy a game?
A. FPS
B. RPG
C. RACING
D. Sarcasm?

This kind of does take out the mini game fun out of the sale. I liked voting and refreshing every once in a while.

Silver lining, basically this will guarantee me not adding to my backlog because "hey it's 80 percent off, why not?!"

Bittersweet moment.

Stitch

Gold Member
The best sale was the Summer 12 one where they introduced flash deals and community votes and those ran for different durations so you had to check at least every 6ish hours to not miss any deals.

oh god no. voting and flash deals were terrible.

the best sale was the one where you actually had to play your games to get achievements and earn prices.

That was my first Steam sale and it was truly amazing - all the changing deals kept me hooked from start to finish.

This change is more likely to mean I will not visit the store all that much unless I am in gaming mode and going on Steam any way. Having a reason to come back often made me buy games, not in a flash or daily, but just because I was on Steam having to check those new deals.

That was my first Steam sale and it was truly amazing - all the changing deals kept me hooked from start to finish.

This change is more likely to mean I will not visit the store all that much unless I am in gaming mode and going on Steam any way. Having a reason to come back often made me buy games, not in a flash or daily, but just because I was on Steam having to check those new deals.

Exactly, now just check day 1 and you don't have to go on Steam for 2 weeks.

Banned
Good. I don't want to wait for my game to hit the daily or flash sales and then wait till the last day if they weren't. I want to know what the deepest discount will be from day one so I can pick and choose what I want to buy.

RobNBanks

Banned
So you prefer to save less money? Do people really find it difficult to check Steam on their PC/Phone/Tablet once every 8 hours?

or you could just not buy the game until it gets to the price point you want it at.

If it never gets to that price point you probably never really wanted the game anyway. Either that or you had unrealistic expectations like how some people wanted GTA V and Witcher 3 to be 25-33% off in the summer sale

CHC

I'm fine with this. These things were getting way too complicated.

Kinda feel the same way, after the first one or two I got tired of "playing the game" to save like 80 cents, or whatever.

This is fine given the duration of the sale, as long as the discounts aren't too stingy.

georly

So this guarantees I check steam once, pick up next to nothing, and then stop checking it.

Maybe it'll work out for them? They can always go back if this flops.

Black friday sales are a big deal because it's so steep for such a short amount of time.

Valve doesn't care anymore.
Here's the scoop, they never did. Their plan was to suck you in, convince you that a monopoly( when you hold a significant advantage that essentially locks out competitors that makes it a near monopoly) is good. Get your fans to actually say how they will never use a competing product. Then those fans still expect things to be different from all other monopolies in history.

Same thing with AMD and Intel

Who calls it an Autumn sale on November 25th. Autumn is over 2/3rds over. If you're going to have an Autumn sale then plan it around September 20th. Valve, do you even know how seasons work?

Wait,I remember this year's update, with the introduction of Curators, the renewed portal...those sounded like good changes

They were not.

I'm fully expecting that the discounts games get stay exactly the same as before, we just no longer get the more steep discount of daily/flash sale.

This is definitely what is going to happen. Everyone has to remember the mechanism that this pricing is based on -- individual developers filling out a form that says "what's your base discount" and "what higher discount will you offer in exchange for greater promotion during the sale." If you take out the second box most people aren't going to fill that number into the first box, they're going to fill in the same baseline discount and be done with it.

Just based on the information we have about how Steam sales have operated in the past, it's very difficult for me to imagine this playing out in any way other than higher prices across the board and lower sales for mid-tier-to-small titles.

I would be fine with this. It sucked having missed out on a daily and the gulf between the daily and the normal discount made purchasing kinda pointless.

Also now you can buy what you want day 1 instead of waiting for a week hoping it goes on a daily sale.

Mivey

If it does generally reduce the number of games bought across the board, Valve will stop it and go back to the old and true method. They are the ones that lose the most, after all.

patapuf

More than the price it's the discoverability tied to the dailies that i liked.

With this, i'll take a look at my wishlist and be done with it. I don't understand how that helps sales.

If it does generally reduce the number of games bought across the board, Valve will stop it and go back to the old and true method. They are the ones that lose the most, after all.

You're neglecting that they would make more money per game sold in comparison to the previous approach (dailies and flash sales and whatnot).

Drakhyrr

I don't like this either. I don't have a wishlist, but I will just run through the entire collection, put what I like in a spreadsheet and make a final selection later.

No emotion, no excitement, just boring work. Also expecting lesser discounts, which to me means less purchases, as anything below 75% off is a no go, and with my backlog, even 75% off is a no in most cases.

With that said, as a cheap bastard, my opinion probably isn't worth much to developers anyway.

RM8

That's too bad :( The upside is not having to wait, you can buy your games during the first day of the sale, I guess.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Honestly it doesn't surprise me. With PC gaming getting bigger and Valve trying to become more of a platform holder, it wouldn't surprise me that they try to de-emphasize these 75% off a 6 month old game sale.

Also having to check the site 3 times a day and hoping to get a good sale is annoying.

Top Bottom