• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

They're on Obamacare, they voted for Trump, and they're already disappointed - but...

E-Cat

...they're still voting Republican.

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2017/6/7/15674380/obamacare-kentucky-trump-ahca

CORBIN, Kentucky — There have been no marches against the Republican bill to repeal and replace Obamacare here. No raucous town halls. There was only one protest rally anywhere in the region. Photographs captured a solitary woman holding a sign.

In an area that stands to lose a lot of health coverage under the GOP's American Health Care Act, the silence does not equal endorsement. It is a sign, instead, of disappointment setting in among a group of conservative voters who only months ago were bubbling with hope for Donald Trump's health care plan.

The uninsured rate here in this rural swath of southeastern Kentucky has plummeted faster under the Affordable Care Act than any other area in the country. I visited the area last winter and talked to Obamacare enrollees who voted for Trump. They expected the president to repeal the law and replace it with something much better. ”That man has a head for business," one enrollee told me. ”He will absolutely do his best to change things."

You know, thinking about it, I'm not even sure what I expected. I just thought it would miraculously work out wonderful for everybody," Bobbi Smith, a 62-year-old Obamacare enrollee who voted for Trump, says. ”So I guess maybe I didn't put enough thought into what I would expect from a health care act."

In southeastern Kentucky, the Obamacare enrollees I interviewed were disappointed — but they also weren't mad that their Congress member, Hal Rogers, voted to pass it. They talked about all the other good things he had done for the area in his decades of service. They gave him the benefit of the doubt, expecting that he must have cast his vote to improve the economy or solve a budget issue.

This includes Kathy Oller, an Obamacare enrollment worker who supported Trump in the 2016 election. She feels let down by the Republican health care plan — ”If they take the expanded Medicaid away, it really, really is gonna kill Kentuckians because they won't have health insurance," she says — and she's already seeing other ways that Trump health policies are hurting Kentucky. Obamacare sign-ups, she said, were slower this year, as people in Kentucky were confused about whether the health care law still existed.

But Oller doesn't regret her vote for Trump — ”I don't have regrets," she says plainly — and she trusts that Rogers, whom she has also voted for, knows what he's doing. She gets most her news from his weekly emails to constituents; she cites his arguments for why the law needs to be repealed.

Hoskins had been reading a lot about the bill the House passed. He mostly reads things on the internet, starting at the AOL homepage, ever since he canceled his cable service a few months ago to save money. He doesn't like what he's seen.

From what I've read on it, it's not going to be good for anybody," he says.

This all got him frustrated. He didn't vote in the 2016 election — he was still in the hospital recovering from ankle surgery. There were certainly parts of the Trump agenda he liked, such as the president's immigration policy. ”I've not got anything again the wall," Hoskins says. ”I've got nothing against protecting our borders."

Lots more at the link.

Mr Swine

Banned
Well they shouldn't complain and suck it up. Really don't get it why they vote for the same party if they whine and complain that they aren't getting affordable healthcare

I have about as much sympathy for these people as I would someone who lost their life by playing a recreational game of russian roulette. Which is to say none.

That said it's almost impressive how stupid these voters are. Making their own lives worse vote by vote just because the TV box told them to. I can only dream of being so blissfully unaware.

Well they shouldn't complain and suck it up. Really don't get it why they vote for the same party if they whine and complain that they aren't getting affordable healthcare

If only democrats wouldn't get in Republicans way then the republicans could make the whole world run better!!!??!!!!!??!!!!!!!!

liquidtmd

Banned
“You know, thinking about it, I’m not even sure what I expected. I just thought it would miraculously work out wonderful for everybody,”

70oa2QB7yIgaQ.webp

E-Cat

"Because it's good for the economy! Gotta pull yourself up by your bootstraps," etc...

lush

Yawn, another one of these "articles". Journalist visits Nowheresville to check in on uneducated/ignorant morons that voted against their own interests and they'd do it again in spite of that. Wow! Thanks for the the new insight.

What is the point? How many times can we write the same article?

Lain

What's the word for a dumb idiot who admits s/he is a dumb idiot but has no regrets and will keep being a dumb idiot? cognitive dissonance?

Maledict

These articles have become a weekly bore now.

We get it. People are stupid and racist.

You won't ever persuade them to change their mind. Accept that and move on.

RinsFury

I would feel nothing if each and every one of these morons have their lives utterly destroyed by Trump. They're dragging the rest of the country into their right wing hell , fuck them.

captainpat

This. Dems should worry more about energizing their base than trying to appease people stuck on their ways.

_Ryo_

I have lost all empathy for those that refuse to think logically or who go against their own livelihood, just so they can further their campaign of hatred.

So fuck them, any harm done theyve did it to themselves.

Beartruck

It would take Trump walking from door to door with a hit squad through their town before these people would go "If this keeps up, I'm voting independant next election."

E-Cat

"Voting for this party has made my life dramatically worse, but I'll still do it again next time because immigrants!"
"As long as others will be worse off, I'm willing to suffer. I'm not one of those lazy 'urban' moochers living off of food stamps. I'm a real 'MURICAN!"

They'd vote to kill themselves before voting Democrat or doing minimal fact checking. This is practically a cult following at this point.

At best we can hope many conservatives will just be less motivated to go to the polls to cast votes.
This is the issue of FPTP voting and a two party system. Had you had multiple parties there would be ample opportunity for a different party more palatable to Republicans than their traditional "enemy" to hammer them on the issue and punish them by stealing voters.

FreezeSSC

If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you

Kentucky is doing fine. The wife of a Kentucky billionaire has just been named ambassador to Canada. Her salary will certainly recover the one million dollars her husband gave to the Trump campaign (minus tax credit I figure). Everything is balancing out.

Yudoken

It's so sad and depressing to read and imagine this.

They literally rather choose getting screwed over, pain, misery and even death than to change their ways and admit they fell for a notorious liar and asshole combined with a completely screwed up party.

There's nothing redeemable about the republicans and Drumpf if you actually research what they've done and still doing now.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Man truly is the only animal who trips over the same stone twice and still blames the rock. Zero sympathy for these people, they don't want to learn or see the consequences of their actions.

RPGCrazied

Republicans always vote against their own interests. This is nothing new, they been doing this since forever.

And yeah, to make the liberals mad.

He mostly reads things on the internet, starting at the AOL homepage, ever since he canceled his cable service a few months ago to save money

So is this the real reason Fox News' ratings have been slipping? Their loyal viewership can't afford cable anymore?

At best we can hope many conservatives will just be less motivated to go to the polls to cast votes.

All these articles about Trump or Republican voters still sticking to their guns despite reservations are pointless. It's been six months, no one's going to admit regret to themselves at this point, much less in public, and maybe not ever.

It's about de-motivation on Election Day.

E-Cat

I think the problem also lies partly with the Blue Dog Democrats in these deeply red states. There is a common wisdom that in order to even have a chance against the GOP incumbent, you absolutely must be a centrist corporate sellout. However, that common wisdom has probably never been challenged, and I think the Democrats are shooting themselves in the foot and alienating the working class base. I'd wager an earnest character like Bernie could do surprisingly well in these areas.

I think the problem also lies partly with the Blue Dog Democrats in these deeply red states. There is a common wisdom that in order to even have a chance against the GOP incumbent, you absolutely must be a centrist corporate sellout. However, that common wisdom has probably never been challenged, and I think the Democrats are shooting themselves in the foot and alienating the working class base. I'd wager an earnest character like Bernie could do surprisingly well in these areas.
If you honestly believe that then you haven't been paying attention to what's happened in the red parts of the country. There was a time when you could appeal to their interests and get them to vote for democrats but this is no longer about helping themselves, it's about harming the "others". The candidate that best reflects the will to cause harm to the people that they don't like gets their votes now. So unless Bernie's platform in 2020 is going to include putting darkies/gays/liberals in their proper place don't count on them feeling the Bern.

You're suffering, but still voting for the same party that is making you suffer....gaggle of fucking morons they are. Have fun putting yourself in the same situation again when voting time comes around, you Neanderthals!!!

IISANDERII

I think it's a concerted effort to keep people stupid. Public education in the US seems terrible and higher education is insanely expensive. So you're left with a man holding a bible telling you what to think. And fox news.

Top Bottom