• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Thief | Review thread

Warren Spector had nothing to do with Deus Ex: HR, that's a pretty enormous distinction. And no, go play Deus Ex 1 again, and tell me HR had the depth, complexity and player agency of the first. It didn't.

Fact is, gamers with their irrational and idiotic obsession with "graphics and specs" have fallen into the "graphics trap" as I call it. And naturally, business saw this as a opportunity to pounce and release games for high prices, plus now DLC/subs, as well as release consoles that cost a fortune to the average person, in order to take more money from you while focusing more and more on that aspect of "visual fidelity" that fundamentally has little to do with the "quality of the gameplay" involved. So thus, the excuse nowadays from developers is, they spend so much money focusing on improving and optimizing that graphical fidelity that all forward momentum in new ideas of gameplay, pacing, innovation in mechanics big and small get pushed to the back burner, it's about creating "great visuals and worlds and atmosphere first", rather than building the gameplay and it's concepts to fit that, regardless of how much the visuals WOW or not. Narrative and story and VA spending is another example of this trap, where they become the focus and simply copy/paste viable existing gameplay methodology (Naughty Dog) to fit their agenda. And we hoot and holler about it being a "GOTY contender", this industry and even the gamers themselves have been bought off and propagandized to believe and seriously consider a sticking point these things, when before what mattered most of all was just the gameplay.

This is not to say a game can't have great visuals, story, meaingful well written narrative AND have amazing gameplay. The point is, the gameplay should always be the foremost priority of any project worth considering. And it's the complete reversal of that instance in most cases, hence the skyrocketing development costs and risk aversion that comes with it.

Marry me?
My wife and kid will be a little upset but I think we can make it work.
In other words, I agree whole heartedly friend. Well said.

codhand

But they gave that 10/10 score on all 5 platforms. Are you telling me the person bought the game on all 5 platforms and gave a review of the experience on all those 5 platforms?

i agree, sounds suspect as hell, but what do they normally do for multi-plat release reviews?

"player agency" i fear is another phrase like "ludo narrative dissonance", that makes less and less sense the more times it's uttered

pop quiz, what was the average price of a SNES game at retail?

Luis Martins

Neo Member
Looks like I'll still be playing stuff on my 360 until Titanfall comes out. I was hoping this game could hold me over for 2 weeks.

Well, on Steam purchases it seems like people like the game alot more then those who dont. Personally I find that the media reviews where quite inconsistent to say the least.

thief_on_steam1_by_xgoldenboyx-d77zfwb.png

And this goes on for pages...

thief_on_steam2_by_xgoldenboyx-d77zgex.png

Elios83

Just finished the game.
My overall opinion is pretty positive.
Both the main missions and the sidequests are great, really good stealth action, they really nailed the smooth movements of a thief, great environments and level design, tons of hidden conduits, different paths, traps, hidden machanisms and safe locks to open. The game takes off and truly shines starting from chapter 3 in my opinion.
Unfortunately there are some flaws and they're mostly concentrated in the main city which acts as a hub. Loading times (which are not present during the missions) are really annoying and they detract from the experience when you try to explore the city, the map is confusing and you have to remember by yourself where the specific places to jump from one area to the other are located. Also the dialogues between the guards in the city are really repetitive and poorly written.
The story in my opinion was nice, it's ''essential'' but it is interesting enough to keep the player motivated and willing to know more. The ending is vague and you'll probably have to watch it a few times before you get it, so at first it seems anticlimatic but it has a sense
Garrett uses the Cornelius ring on the finger of Orion to open the book and complete the ritual to free Erin from the Primal energy, at the same time he throws her the claw unlike what he did in the opening, trusting her this time...hints like the claw stucked in the wood are a sign that she's safe
Graphics are great on PS4, really impressive amosphere notwithstanding the old UE3.0.
Overall it's a really good game, a solid 8/10 in my opinion, fans of stealth games should really consider it.

Top Bottom