• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Thief will have a mode with online component

deim0s

Probably similar to Hitman: Absolutions user made challenges. Pick one game map... and ermm... pilfer stuff.

Every single game should have story mode coop as an option, including stealth and horror games. It is selfish to try to keep it out of games just because you don't care for it when it is kept entirely to being an option.

The only time it becomes an actual issue is when the game is built in a way that it requires a single person to use an AI partner ala recent resident evil games but that is the fault of a stupid development choice not because coop existed in the game.

There is not a single game I wouldn't get more enjoyment out of doing the story with a friend, but because barely any games have story mode coop I can barely ever enjoy that whereas people wanting to play single player have that option for practically every single game with a story campaign.

Every game should have a different set of maps/scenarios for coop as a compromise.

You can't have it both ways. A game is either designed around coop or it isn't. It'll always hurt one mode or the other no matter how optional people think it is. Tack it on? Coop will suck. Design your game around it? The atmosphere and pacing of SP will suffer.

Just like Dead Space 3 where suddenly there is two of everything and levels need to be wide enough so you don't bump into stuff.

Every game should have a different set of maps/scenarios for coop as a compromise.

You can't have it both ways. A game is either designed around coop or it isn't. It'll always hurt one mode or the other no matter how optional people think it is. Tack it on? Coop will suck. Design your game around it? The atmosphere and pacing of SP will suffer.

Just like Dead Space 3 where suddenly there is two of everything and levels need to be wide enough so you don't bump into stuff.

You don't need to design around coop to allow coop in the story mode, you just need to accept that coop wont have its difficulty balanced to the same level as single player. That is also perfectly fine since it is there simply as an option for the people that wish to use it.

Give me the ability to pull a second person into my single player game and don't change a single thing and that is exactly what I want.

Suairyu

Banned
Every single game should have story mode coop as an option, including stealth and horror games. It is selfish to try to keep it out of games just because you don't care for it when it is kept entirely to being an option.

The only time it becomes an actual issue is when the game is built in a way that it requires a single person to use an AI partner ala recent resident evil games but that is the fault of a stupid development choice not because coop existed in the game.

There is not a single game I wouldn't get more enjoyment out of doing the story with a friend, but because barely any games have story mode coop I can barely ever enjoy that whereas people wanting to play single player have that option for practically every single game with a story campaign.
To make co-op worthwhile, the game has to be designed around it.

"Options are always good" isn't a truth.

Yeah I don't understand what was so special about conviction's co op either. Me and my friend just spent most of the time silent headshotting guards with our pistols and then we'd use our gadgets in some spots. That's all there was to it, it was boring as hell.
Now, now. That "co-op" survival horror concept of trying to reach your friend sounded pretty good. I'd like someone to make that game.

Kouichi

To make co-op worthwhile, the game has to be designed around it.

"Options are always good" isn't a truth.

Chaos Theory had a good single player, multiplayer, and co-op mode and it is known as one of the best stealth games. This doesn't commonly happen definitely, but it is possible.

Edit: Though I do agree that just throwing co-op in single player does not work out well. It needs to be a separate mode.

Unless it's designed like a co-op experience, it's gonna wreck the game.

Wreck the game for who? The fun about coop is messing around with a friend, Me nor my friends need a balanced experience from coop. Take the single player exactly how it is, and allow it to be played with a second person if they choose.

Doesn't change a single thing for anyone wanting to play single player but allows people like me who just want to experience the same story / world with a friend to do so.

Suairyu

Banned
Wreck the game for who? The fun about coop is messing around with a friend, Me nor my friends need a balanced experience from coop. Take the single player exactly how it is, and allow it to be played with a second person if they choose.

Doesn't change a single thing for anyone wanting to play single player but allows people like me who just want to experience the same story / world with a friend to do so.
If I was a developer, I wouldn't want my name on such slop.

Give me actual crafted co-op experiences like RE5. There was an example of the opposite mistake - slapping a single-player mode on a brilliant co-op game.

If I was a developer, I wouldn't want my name on such slop.

Give me actual crafted co-op experiences like RE5. There was an example of the opposite mistake - slapping a single-player mode on a brilliant co-op game.

So its slop because it isn't something you would enjoy? Isn't that really selfish to deprive people of what they enjoy simply because it doesn't line up with your own personal subjective desires from a video game? Particularly when it would in no way harm the way you wish to play the game.

I'm fine with there being crafted coop experiences and crafted single player experiences but that doesn't change my feeling that there should be some form of both available for the people that want it alongside those experiences.

RE5 is an example of a bad development direction allowing the sides to harm each other, not an example of having both available being impossible to make work well.

Suairyu

Banned
So its slop because it isn't something you would enjoy?
No, as I already said (and you purposefully misread), it's slop if it's something not designed but just slapped on. Simply adding co-op to a singleplayer campaign designed entirely around singleplayer is "slop". No craftsman would want to put their name on it.

No, as I already said (and you purposefully misread), it's slop if it's something not designed but just slapped on. Simply adding co-op to a singleplayer campaign designed entirely around singleplayer is "slop". No craftsman would want to put their name on it.

The same exact damn single player experience they would have been happy to put there name on as a craftsman is still there exactly the way it would have been. If being a craftsman means that making a group of people happy at the detriment of no one else, then we need far less craftsmen in the industry cause that is ridiculous.

Top Bottom