• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Things you enjoyed about FF X-2

Inspired by my thread on XIII, what are some things you enjoyed about Final Fantasy X-2? This game receives a lot of hate, but it also has some very passionate fans that really enjoyed playing it–not to mention it's one of the best selling FF games ever.

Let's share some of the things we liked about this game. It'd be nice to have a serious and positive discussion, so please don't post "I'm happy it's over!11!" and clog this thread up with your poop.

NOTE: Do not discuss the 2.5 audio drama in this thread. This thread is to discuss X-2 + The Last Mission. That's it.

Story–
X ended on a very interesting note, but the teaser at the end was too much for me to handle. I needed to know what happened to Tidus. Where was he? How did he come back to life?

I loved the backstory of Lenne and Shuyin (shedding more light on the summoner's war), and I thought that the fayth rewarding Yuna's continued commitment to make Spira a safer place by bringing back Tidus was particularly touching. That "good" ending was just so sweet :')

It was also nice to have a Final Fantasy that didn't take itself so seriously for once, jfc.

Characters–
X-2 really excels when it comes to the writing of its characters. Yuna's change in personality, her growth, seems very real. The writers did an excellent job of challenging Yuna to live in a world where she no longer has to die, but can finally make "selfish" decisions and put herself and her needs first.

Paine is a badass and her history with the three faction leaders made for a great tangled web of drama. Rikku's redesign was really cute too! I loved her Pirates of the Carribean look.

I LOVED LeBlanc. I thought she added excellent comic relief to the game (the massage minigame is legendary) and I thought it was very clever that they put her in the Lady Luck dress sphere.

Gameplay–
Oh boy. That's where this game really shines. To this day, SE has yet to make an FF game that is as fun or rewarding as this one. X-2 perfected the job system, added so many cool abilities to unlock, made every battle fast and exciting...this game really knocked it out of the park with the combat mechanics. I really can't stress just how much fun it is to play this thing.

GAF, your turn :)

lLpwobrWP0aje.gif

LordKasual

Banned
Everything but the story.

I mostly appreciate the choice of giving Yuna weapons but not changing her personality too much. She comes off as a nice girl desperately trying to be tough and that's how she should be.

rhandino

Banned
The Music

The Tone of the world

The characters

THE JOB SYSTEM IS THE BEST THING EVER AND I HATE S-E FOR NOT MAKING ANOTHER GAME WITH IT alskjda;lskjd;salkjda;slkjd;lsakdj;lsak

raven777

-Combat was probably my favorite in the entire FF series, or very close to it. I liked the combat a lot more than FFX's combat.

-While I really disliked the aesthetic change to Yuna from FFX, I really like the 3 main girls party and them having interaction.

-I like the music and vocal songs in the game (Japanese version)

-It has one of the best title screen music

It has the best turn based gameplay ever.
The job system is awesome.
The story is dumb, but entertaining. Like its characters.
It's pretty lengthy and includes plenty of content to play it multiple times.
Very lighthearted in a way most rpgs aren't.
The music is pretty good.
I kind of like the whole thing.

I guess the combat was fun. It was like a cooler FFV. I actually wish to revisit this system again.

Battles had a hell of a lot more strategy and difficulty than X did.

....um....it looked nice for it's time!

Some of it's songs were good.

That's all I got, OP. I'm trying my best not to post sarcastic "Rikku and Yuna ('Yunie') saying 'oh poo' all the time"-like comments, but this game has bested me.

I must take my leave now.

killatopak

Combat and traditional leveling.

Graphics were amazing at the time as well as the soundtrack.

Everything else was meh for me cause I barely understood the story since I actually played X-2 before X so I have no emotional attachment whatsoever to the character development introduced early in the game as well as Tidus himself.

So basically I was in it for everything but the story.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
I like the story quite a bit. It is basically like... so what happens when the evil that has been terrorizing us for as long as we can remember is no longer here.

Second, game play with class system is still bar none, the best I've played

LiK

Just seeing what happened to the world after the first game was interesting. It was oddly bittersweet to see certain places become tourist attractions.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Via Infinito

I can't lie I did enjoy the game a lot. Outside of the opening cinematic portion...which was just ugh...everything else was good. The whole Dress Sphere thing I liked as I like the option of jobs.

MartyStu

Almost everything.

Including the story.

There are only four truly bad things about FF X-2:

-The game is WAYYYYYY too easy.
-The chapter structure is garbage when it comes to missables.
-It is a sequel to X and thus has god-awful character design for everyone except Suiyin, Paine and Rikku.
-Yuna's gunner outfit is really poorly designed and ineptly exploitative. If you are going to fanservice, at least try not to suck at it.

DR2K

Banned
All of it. The job system and battle system stand out the most. Tons of depth and options to play around with.

kromeo

Main theme, rebuilt Kilika port, Yuna (not the other two), job system

It's nowhere near the quality of X but I still enjoy replaying it

Many things. Game is awesome. It was received somewhat poorly in 2003 because everybody was an edgelord. It had the best combat in the series until FFXV came around.

Teletraan1

Banned
One of my favorites, probably #2 after tactics. Best combat system in the entire series. I enjoyed the story for what it was. I am always interested in seeing what happened to the worlds that these games leave behind.after you save them. Never agree that they ruined Yuna. If you think that you didn't play this game past the opening CGI or get her character at all in the first place.

Would love for SE to ape that combat system and put it in some other game. If I am Setsuna or WoFF had a variation of this combat system they might have been good.

Monocle

The combat system is one of the best in the entire series, easily.

Also the whole tone was fun. It was enjoyable to revisit Spira from a totally different angle.

I really enjoyed my first playthrough.

Just wondering what others think of its age, I tried to play again earlier this year and felt like it didn't age very well.

The x-2 HD remaster on ps4 just looked off to me.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Music

Battle system

Paine

Everything else was an embarrassment and a spit in the face for FFX. Yuna, Rikku dressing like strippers, going on their giant space ship being charlies angels glam rock stars and shit..

That game was a disaster and should never have existed in that form. If they wanted to make an FFX2, it should have been a down to earth non overtly sexualized Yuna going out into the world actually solving problems and trying to unify a divided world after a millennia of doing things a certain way and being bound by fake religious traditions.

Pejo

For me? The battle system and Rikku.

Also "what can i do for you" (sung) was a great one-liner in my group of friends when the game came out because of how unexpected and stupid it was.

Talax

The job system alongwith how these jobs levelled up. Was pretty addicting collecting them all and levelling them up.

Combat is excellent--one of Square's best-ever battle systems.

I really enjoyed the non-linearity and the incredible wealth of little checkboxes that contribute to 100% completion. I love games with hidden secrets, i.e. doing X and Y in Chapters 2 and 3 causes a few lines of dialogue and a small reward in Chapter 5.

rebuilt Kilika port

Oh yeah, I loved seeing that!

MartyStu

One of the surprisingly great things about the game is how all the factions sort of shake out in a surprisingly realistic fashion in absence of Sin and religious pressure.

120v

Never really understood the hate... thought it was a fun little side attraction to FFX. Battle system in particular was great.

I guess it's biggest 'downfall' was being billed as a sequel to FFX when it was really just a silly one-off. everybody came in with certain expectations

I guess it's biggest 'downfall' was being billed as a sequel to FFX when it was really just a silly one-off. everybody came in with certain expectations

Yeah, that whole "-2" thing is really misleading. Oh, Square.

Everything else was an embarrassment and a spit in the face for FFX. Yuna, Rikku dressing like strippers, going on their giant space ship being charlies angels glam rock stars and shit..

That game was a disaster and should never have existed in that form. If they wanted to make an FFX2, it should have been a down to earth non overtly sexualized Yuna going out into the world actually solving problems and trying to unify a divided world after a millennia of doing things a certain way and being bound by fake religious traditions.

Yeah, they really dropped the ball on having Yuna develop into a strong world leader, by having her be a pop idol instead. It was like they didn't play FFX.

Never really understood the hate... thought it was a fun little side attraction to FFX. Battle system in particular was great.

How is it not a sequel? It takes place directly after the first one and the driving factor of the team's actions is their attempt to find the main character of the first game. It's a sequel.

Combat was fun.

Changing outfits was neat.

New characters other then Paine were...uh...extant is the nicest term I'd use, I suppose.

Story was...not...the worst story ever.

Yuna becoming an idol was fucking awful and stupid.

And then the secret ending just made me vomit into a shoe.

FFX's ending was perfect and they tried to ruin it.

A lot of things, actually. The gameplay is great, I like the "Post-Apocalyptic.....but in a good way!" setting, I like the Dresspheres, they are a ridiculous concept, but a lot of fun and feel less skeezy than Lightning Returns.

The reuse of Spira and the FFX characters was nice. Not really fond of most of the new ones except Paine and Brother took a sharp left turn to awful but it's nice seeing how everyone got on with their lives after the threat of the end of the world was lifted.

The only things I can say I really didn't like, honestly, were the main story and the relative lack of new environments (most of the screens are lifted wholesale from FFX with no changes).

Jennipeg

Almost everything.

Including the story.

There are only four truly bad things about FF X-2:

-The game is WAYYYYYY too easy.
-The chapter structure is garbage when it comes to missables.
-It is a sequel to X and thus has god-awful character design for everyone except Suiyin, Paine and Rikku.
-Yuna's gunner outfit is really poorly designed and ineptly exploitative. If you are going to fanservice, at least try not to suck at it.

I quite like the gunner outfit, well except for the low cut top. All they needed to do was cover her chest and make the shorts a couple of inches longer. I can accept Yuna in a more revealing outfit, but they went too far. Love the songstress costume though.

Nottle

Job systems are the coolest. Shame there I'd no Ninja or Dragoon.

I like Yuna WAAAYY more than Tidus so having her as the actual MC is cool. I also like it's more lighthearted tone. The world of Spira while sort of dumb, is pretty interesting. Having a chance to see what happened to the world and characters is a fun idea that if handled right I'd like to see more FF games do.

-The combat
-The non-linear story progression
-The improvements to the job system

That's it. I hated that they brought back Tidus. It ruined the beautiful ending of the first game.

Top Bottom