• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Third Democratic Debate tonight (Thur) on PBS. 9 ET/6 PT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Between Chris Benoit and the Paris Hilton news our media is all over, you may not realize there is a presidential debate tonight.

You can catch it on your local PBS station info at:

http://www.pbs.org/kcet/tavissmiley...es_1_allamericanpresidentialforums_2007-06-28

Live Link:http://www.pbs.org/kcet/tavissmiley/special/forums/video_live.html

WASHINGTON — The struggles of the nation's blacks, a loyal Democratic voting bloc, topped the agenda Thursday as the party's eight presidential candidates gathered for their third primary debate.

The debate at Howard University was scheduled to begin just hours after the Supreme Court ruled against public school programs aimed at achieving racial diversity, a certain topic for the event.

The Democrats decried the ruling, saying it turned back the promise of integrated schools that the court laid out 53 years ago in its landmark decision in Brown v. Board of Education.

New York Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton said as president, she would "fight to restore Brown's promise." Illinois Sen. Barack Obama said it was "wrong-headed." Connecticut Sen. Chris Dodd said the decision "will add to the resegregation that is already occurring in our nation's schools."

John Edwards said the decision showed what is at stake in the presidential race.

"The Supreme Court is on the ballot in this next election, and the American people can stop this radical shift or lock it in for years to come," the 2004 vice presidential nominee said.

Also scheduled to participate in the debate were Delaware Sen. Joe Biden; New Mexico Gov. Bill Richardson; Ohio Rep. Dennis Kucinich and former Alaska Sen. Mike Gravel.

Moderating the debate is Tavis Smiley, who says he wants to steer the conversation to issues raised in his book, "The Covenant with Black America." The 90-minute event was being broadcast live on public television.

The debate is an opportunity for Obama, who got mixed reviews from his first two debate performances, to stand out and share a bond with the audience. But he's in a tight contest for the black vote with Clinton, who benefits from goodwill for her husband in the community.

Edwards is trying to make gains. His campaign put out a memo Thursday showing how he is addressing Smiley's 10 covenants, including health care, education, criminal justice, police accountability, housing and voting rights.

Massachusetts Gov. Deval Patrick, the country's only black governor, was to make opening remarks and introduce the candidates. He has yet to endorse a candidate but many are seeking his support.

rudygiuliani-sticker.jpg

HomShaBom

Banned
Karma Kramer said:
I just checked my TV and I don't see anything concerning a Debate on PBS. I have directTV btw... does that mean anything?

Do you have two PBS channels? I have two, debate is on one of them.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
The Democrats decried the ruling, saying it turned back the promise of integrated schools that the court laid out 53 years ago in its landmark decision in Brown v. Board of Education.

You have GOT to be kidding me... :lol

it's on my PBS channel. im watching it as i type this.

pretty shitty, but hey, atleast you have the internet. it'll be up in due time.

whoa, it looks like atleast 95% of the audience is black. looks like obama will get the spot light, i hope he makes good use of it.

no offense, but it feels like im watching live at the apollo.

get on with the debate already!

i can't wait to see Hiliary act like she's down. but from what im seeing, this totally looks like it's gonna be Obama fest.

Humphrey Bogart said:
no offense, but it feels like im watching live at the apollo.

get on with the debate already!

i can't wait to see Hiliary act like she's down. but from what im seeing, this totally looks like it's gonna be Obama fest.

thats_racist.gif

kidding

That Obama answer was better and more coherent than anything he said in the entire last deabte. He has to keep his game up in those other debates.

Is it black history month or something? I don't understand...

Just started watching.

— The struggles of the nation's blacks, a loyal Democratic voting bloc, topped the agenda Thursday as the party's eight presidential candidates gathered for their third primary debate.

The debate at Howard University was scheduled to begin just hours after the Supreme Court ruled against public school programs aimed at achieving racial diversity, a certain topic for the event.

edit: nvm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom