• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Third Democratic Debate tonight (Thur) on PBS. 9 ET/6 PT

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can't answer anything in 30 seconds with any substance. They should just keep the same format and answer a lot fewer questions. I don't think most people would have a problem with that. Debate should have been two hours also instead of 90 mintues.

JohnTinker

Limbaugh Parrot
Stoney Mason said:
You can't answer anything in 30 seconds with any substance. They should just keep the same format and answer a lot fewer questions. I don't think most people would have a problem with that. Debate should have been two hours also instead of 90 mintues.
Newt Gingrich poised the idea of having a 90 minute sit-down debate between the two Presidential candidates every week in order to fully and properly answer questions. Nearly impossible to do now with the field so wide, but once the nominations are done I would love to see it become reality.

npm0925

Triumph Dolomite 1300cc said:
I love Gravel and everything, but a retail sales tax ****s over the poor way more than it does the rich.
I buy all of my stuff on Amazon, so I'm all for it!

JohnTinker said:
Newt Gingrich poised the idea of having a 90 minute sit-down debate between the two Presidential candidates every week in order to fully and properly answer questions. Nearly impossible to do now with the field so wide, but once the nominations are done I would love to see it become reality.

I like that every candidate gets to answer questions here. The mods can't tilt the debate how they see fit. Of course with that format you aren't going to have to breath of questions but that's why you schedule a lot of debates and have them themed.

Dreamfixx

I don't know shit about shit
JohnTinker said:
That would be wonderful

JohnTinker

Limbaugh Parrot
Stoney Mason said:
I like that every candidate gets to answer questions here. The mods can't tilt the debate how they see fit. Of course with that format you aren't going to have to breath of questions but that's why you schedule a lot of debates and have them themed.
Yeah, thats essentially what he said when expounding it. There'd be a theme to all the questions per week. Examples he used were one week for foreign policies, one week for tax and fiscal related issues, another week for moral issues, etc. I'm so sick and tired of 20-second sound bites in order to find out someone's stances.

JohnTinker

Limbaugh Parrot
holy cow :lol :lol

has Sharpton smiled at all when shown tonight?

Bill Richardson talks slower than my neighbor with Alzheimers

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Stoney Mason said:
The debate is mainly geared toward African Amerian issues. That's the focus.

Like Busta Rhymes said "One month of black history means eleven months of white history".

JohnTinker

Limbaugh Parrot
Stoney Mason said:
I think he took some downers tonight.
He read his polling numbers?

Oh for God's sakes there was millions and millions of dollars raised for Katrina relief but its all tied up in bureaucratic red tape on the local level in New Orleans.

This format is more fair for everyone time wise.

But, its boring as hell. All the question have been softballs and everyone can do nothing but agree with each other.

Ripclawe

Banned
federal law to make sure United Nations right to return for New Orleans? How did the Palestinians get mixed up in this?

JohnTinker

Limbaugh Parrot
Ripclawe said:
federal law to make sure United Nations right to return for New Orleans? How did the Palestinians get mixed up in this?
Oh I'm sure theres a blog out there somewhere comparing "the plight of the Palestinians to the plight of the black man" and I've seen crazier

Man, whenever Barack is talking and they show the crowd's faces and they're absolutely captivated.

Oh snap, major dig at the Clinton's right there.

JohnTinker

Limbaugh Parrot
They just keep adding on each other's ideas.

As they go down the row its nothing but "anything you can do, I can do better!"

Well I'll grade this debate in who helped themselves with the base.

Kucinich, Hillary, Obama, and Edwards all helped themselves in the eyes of the base. The rest didn't.

It was really a tie between Hillary and Obama although I would probably give it to Obama.

Obama was smooth tonight in a way he wasn't in that last debate which is kind of surprising. He has to maintain that level and speak to the broad mainstream of the democratic nation and the party in a similar manner if he wants to unseat Hillary.

I don't think there's anyway to say who helped themselves. It just looked like one nine-headed candidate up on stage. IMO, it was an utter waste of time. The REPs should seriously reconsider their scheduled PBS debate in September.

Mii

Banned
Obama severely disappointed me by saying only the most general points. He tried catching more support by keeping to broad points everyone likes hearing, but it really didn't work for me. Probably works for the average viewer, though, as he certainly presented himself well.

I loved Gravel. Too bad none of his proposals are feasible.

Clinton gained my (temporary) support among Democrats.

I feel sick.

siamesedreamer said:
I don't think there's anyway to say who helped themselves. It just looked like one nine-headed candidate up on stage. IMO, it was an utter waste of time. The REPs should seriously reconsider their scheduled PBS debate in September.

I disagree with the bolded portion but I do think they flubbed the format. If you're only going to ask 8 questions. ( Which I actually don't have a problem with) You have to thematically target them and make sure they are 8 great questions that cover a broad range. That wasn't that debate. There really was a question there that targeted the black middle class. As an African American I can guarantee those aren't the eight burning issuses that cover the gamut of the black experience. It should have been 2 hours and honestly a lot more informal. They could have had them sit all at one table. It should have been more like a conservation instead of having the pretense of pomp. I think the audience would have appreciated it more and it would have actually been more constructive.

Or you could have gone the other direction but you would have needed a more active moderator. There was no need for the panel and Tavis. One or the other.

It's also pretty clear it's Obama, Edwards, and Hillary. They really need to cut away the deadweight but it's so long until the actual primaries they can't yet.....Sigh.

Humphrey Bogart said:
would anyone mind letting me know what Gravel's last comment was? i didn't get to hear it due to random noise in the house.

He said I love your people's intoxicating jungle music and thanks for inviting me tonight.

Gravel, when asked about Darfur, said that dealing with it comes to moral judgment, and he said that his opponents on the stage don't have it.

Ketchup Boy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom