• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Third Party Wii Games

Vinci said:
My questions are these: Why is Nintendo's marketshare on the Wii a cause for concern when it appears directly related to them having little to no competition on the system? And why is it not concerning when a 3rd party publisher (EA in this case) commands nearly the same marketshare on the PS3 and 360, despite it facing far greater competition on those platforms? And if EA were facing less competition from other 3rd parties on those platforms, thus likely raising its marketshare to Nintendo's Wii level or higher, would he feel compelled to create a thread to discuss it?

Because they're apples and oranges. Nintendo literally owns the platform. EA does not. It would only be a fair question if Microsoft or Sony had 50% of the marketshare on their respective platforms.

Rhindle

I think publishers *have* figured out what works and what doesn't at this point. What works is the exercise/sports stuff, minigame collections (if they're cheap impulse buys) and name-brand licensed content.

What we went through over the past year was a period of expirimentation to see if they could get anything else to work. Nothing did, so publishers are cutting back on the experimenting.

Now GAF thinks the experimentation was substantially deficient, and that the games would have sold if publishers had only put in more effort, if only they had advertised more, if only they fostered the community better, etc.

Bottom line is that it doesn't matter, the cake is baked for the platform. Third parties can build successful franchises within the established genres (see EA Sports Active and all the Ubisoft exercise franchises), but if you try anything else you're swimming upstream and the current is strong.

boiled goose

good with gravy
TwinIonEngines said:
I don't think that there's a lot of software sales power to the Nintendo brand, but Nintendo has done rather well at cultivating several individual product brands that are very powerful. Mario, Pokemon, Wii ___, Zelda, etc. It's fair to describe this success as a "marvel of branding and marketing", as long as one remembers that the primary reason these brands have such selling power is due to hard-earned public perception of high product quality.

It's as much about the games that they don't release in these brands as the ones that they do, by the way. That's why Wii Music is rightly considered such a large failure - it jeopardized the strength of the brand.

Third parties, by comparison, have done little to build the strength of their brands in the eyes of the Wii audience, and arguably much to tarnish them

yes

BigNastyCurve said:
Because they're apples and oranges. Nintendo literally owns the platform. EA does not. It would only be a fair question if Microsoft or Sony had 50% of the marketshare on their respective platforms.

Dude.
Are you serious? Of course that is the difference between first party and third party. From the perspective of a publisher that is neither EA nor Nintendo, why the hell does it matter who holds 30% of the market as long as it is not you? It is about competition.

Unless you think that if EA is selling Madden on 360 it means that it will be easier for Konami to sell SH homecoming on it. The same way Nintendo selling Mario on Wii means nothing for SH SM's sales.

What you could argue is that the genres that nintendo cultivates on wii differ more from what third parties want to sell than what EA cultivates on 360 relative to what the rest of what third parties want to sell. Which could be a fair point. It is not about first vrs third party though.

mantidor

Rhindle said:
I think publishers *have* figured out what works and what doesn't at this point. What works is the exercise/sports stuff, minigame collections (if they're cheap impulse buys) and name-brand licensed content.

Is this true? because besides EA Active or the carnival games all the exercise/sport/minigame collections on the wii that are not Nintendo are failing, hard.

boiled goose

good with gravy
Rhindle said:

What we went through over the past year was a period of expirimentation to see if they could get anything else to work. Nothing did, so publishers are cutting back on the experimenting.

Now GAF thinks the experimentation was substantially deficient, and that the games would have sold if publishers had only put in more effort, if only they had advertised more, if only they fostered the community better, etc.

Bottom line is that it doesn't matter, the cake is baked for the platform. Third parties can build successful franchises within the established genres (see EA Sports Active and all the Ubisoft exercise franchises), but if you try anything else you're swimming upstream and the current is strong.

The problem is also publishers keep expecting wii sales to suddenly stop. It is a fact that they have not built an audience for quality third party games at the moment. Why try to build an audience, if the thing will suddenly stop selling?

Any predictions for Wii's final install base?

Money has been left on the table. How much more will be left?

Rhindle

mantidor said:
Is this true? because besides EA Active or the carnival games all the exercise/sport/minigame collections on the wii that are not Nintendo are failing, hard.
yeah it's true - read through the OP again. Ubisoft has been doing VERY well with Dance Party, Jillian Michaels and their other exercise games, Game Party has been Midway's biggest seller for the past couple of years, Wii is Lucasarts' best platform for the Lego and Star Wars games (and the same is generally true of other movie tie-ins and other licensed content).

Eteric Rice

It's just that I recognize that these games don't sell on the thing.

How do you know this? I mean really, I don't see anything in the Wii's library outside of Nintendo's own games with the quality of the high end HD games.

They haven't tried. You really can't argue that they have.

The only game with real quality and talent behind it for the hardcore audience is Resident Evil 4. Everything else has been spin-offs in unpopular genres.

boiled goose

good with gravy
Rhindle said:
yeah it's true - read through the OP again. Ubisoft has been doing VERY well with Dance Party, Jillian Michaels and their other exercise games, Game Party has been Midway's biggest seller for the past couple of years, Wii is Lucasarts' best platform for the Lego and Star Wars games (and the same is generally true of other movie tie-ins and other licensed content).

Publishers should no by now that fitness games, quality tie ins or known IPs, music games , etc. sell well on wii.

I think the problem is that they really havent properly explored other spaces. A third person shooter still hasnt been released. The best FPS on the system is a two year old port.

These are the some of the biggest genres in the generation, yet they remain unexplored on wii. The wii has more light gun shooters and guided FPS than traditional FPSs or TPSs.

Rhindle

amtentori said:
The problem is also publishers keep expecting wii sales to suddenly stop. It is a fact that they have not built an audience for quality third party games at the moment. Why try to build an audience, if the thing will suddenly stop selling?
See the problem with that is that it usually is not up to 3rd parties to "build an audience" for games on a platform. It's almost always 1st party development that defines a platform. The 360 and PS3 have a "core audience" because that's where 1st party development was concentrated. Sony's 1st party development used to be a lot more diverse, so PS2 had a much broader base. Halo was Microsoft's flagship, so Xbox became the dominant FPS platform.

Nintendo defined the platform based on Wii Fit, Wii Sports and Mario. So stuff with Mario and fitness does well, because that's what people bought the platform for, and not much else does.

Effect

Rhindle said:

The problem I have with this is there was no need for experimentation though. Look at the launch games and the games that came out several months after that. From what I recall they did decently enough. Some more then others but no different then last generations and several of them were even ports. EA, Capcom, and Ubisoft had games and even franchises they could have fostered so that the next entry would sell even better. However they choose not to. EA themselves showed how an open world GTA like game would work with the Wii's controls in The Godfather: Blackhand Edition. Then there was Scarface: The World is Yours that also showed that. Both were simply released with no marketing from what I recall though so of course they didn't do well but they were resources that could have been reused by EA and Vivendi. Then there is Rockstar's Bully.

Where was the follow up from EA to SSX Blur? Why did EA changed the design for the Wii version of Madden NFL 09 when NFL 08 (which was exactly as the other versions and true to the how the series has always been) did well? Why the design change from Need for Speed Carbon to the cartoony look in Nitro when last I heard Carbon did well on the Wii? Why did Konami put the Elebits sequel on the DS instead on the Wii where the first one had established itself? Why did Ubisoft ignore the sales of Red Steel 1 and not bother with a sequel until now? Then there is Capcom ignoring the success of Resident Evil 4 (not only on the Wii but on the Cube as well)?

These questions aren't directed at anyone but ones that should be asked and should have been asked long ago. These games sold to varying degrees. They were foundations that could have been built on. They showed there was a market for these games early on and some of them were back when it was very hard to even get a Wii. There was never any need for any experimentation or "test" games. These publishers/developers have always had the information in front of them. Yet "analyst" seem to want to act as if these publishers have made all the right decisions.

Agnates

Banned
That's a pretty dumb double standard posed here. Third parties can't/don't copy Nintendo's first party efforts by making amazing 3D platformers (honestly, 3D action adventure titles basically) because they can't have Mario, Samus or Link, so that just leaves fitness games for them, but it's fine to copy Microsoft and make FPS games that aren't Halo with Master Chief? No, third parties aren't trying at all on Wii, even though there's plenty to take from Nintendo, not that every 3rd party on the other systems copied MS/Sony, but anyway. There's plenty more than just Wii Fit to Nintendo's succesful output. Heck, De Blob did good showing that approach could pay off but even THQ dropped the ball afterwards. Where's De Blob 2? Other success stories didn't get follow ups of the same philosophy, if not IP, either. Where's a high budget 2D platformer after NSMB Wii's (lazy :lol !) showing? The system does have many platformers, but it's all low profile stuff from small developers (bless them!). None of the industry's giants can develop something in that vein with a decent budget and marketing push? People claim they're actually trying? :lol

Oh, and Just Dance isn't copying anything Nintendo made either. Wtf? Sorry but nobody tries to copy Wii Music. It's trying to be the new hot music game like the Guitar Hero type games which performed extremelly well on all systems, not just the Wii, so don't spin it like that just to reinforce such views. Besides, out of the fuckton of such games Ubisoft puts out, only a handfull sell, and mostly those with some more effort than usual. That only reinforces that all it takes is effort, not the opposite. The Lego games also sell good everywhere and if I'm not mistaken some of the recent ones show less effort in the Wii versions, possibly by different teams.

As for people saying it's too late, eh, that doesn't stop Sony and Microsoft from trying now, does it? Clearly 2 of the major players think there's time left in this gen.

KamenSenshi

nintendo has left entire genres open for 3rd parties, such as rpgs but that hasnt produced any large influx. we know developers complain when they have a game in a similar category as nintendo, they say they cant compete and all. theres no end to the excuses they can use.

the only games they seem to want to attempt to copy are fitness and mini game collections. nintendo has made other well recieved games such as galaxy, tp, and even prime 3 yet we dont see alot of platformers, adventure games or fps games. they cant possibly be waiting for nintendo to be leading the way in every genre. if 3rd parties want to pump out lame no effort games or spin-offs thats their mistake, they just shouldnt complain when no one rushes out to buy them.

mantidor

Rhindle said:

And the OP mentions how all this big publishers are frustrated because they can't sell big numbers, what is it then?

If they are doing so great, why are third parties bailing out?, their recent statements are that they are cutting back wii support, if they are doing great cutting support is completely absurd.

Unless you mean they are the top third parties on wii, which is, well obvious. That doesn't mean they are doing great.

And are you putting the lego games and licensed content in the same line as sports/exercise/mini games collections?

Sipowicz

Banned
i like pachter but this sounds like he's trolling a bit

i do agree that the hardcore market on the wii is smaller, you only need to look at the threads for wii games on here. but i still think it's there. there's quite a few people who bough mario galaxy and zelda. even punch out and metroid sold a million or something.

a lot of it i think stems from the terrible games press in america. shitty sites like gametrailers/ign/gamepro/kotaku just hate the system and everything about it. edge and eurogamer just treat it like a normal system that plays games and has some decent ones

what do you think third parties should do Michael?

you're an analyst so i'd hope you have some sort of idea. but at the same time you've been pretty negative about it for the past few years and you're constantly talking about how the bubble is going to burst.

i'd also like to ask what you think "gamer games" that have sold well have in common? no more heroes, hotd 2+3, re 4, red steel, sonic and the secret rings etc

KamenSenshi

Effect said:
The problem I have with this is there was no need for experimentation though. Look at the launch games and the games that came out several months after that. From what I recall they did decently enough. Some more then others but no different then last generations and several of them were even ports.
this. there was no need for any test games. red steel sold a million, res 4 sold well, and cod 3 out sold the ps3 version all while the wii was constantly supply constrained. imagine if they would have followed up on any one of those once the supply issue was gone.

mugwhump

There's no hope of a turnaround in Western support, definately.

But what about Japanese support? MH3 did well and DQX is coming too.

Agnates

Banned
You mean over a year ago. And yeah I seem to remember De Blob games being in THQ release lists ages ago. Then disappearing for good. Wasted opportunities.

Eteric Rice

mugwhump said:
There's no hope of a turnaround in Western support, definately.

But what about Japanese support? MH3 did well and DQX is coming too.

That's the one that confuses me. What the fuck happened there? :lol

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Rhindle said:
But those games are the islands in a sea of poorly selling games - Ubisoft has a ton of games that have sold poorly, Game Party 2 shipped half of what the original did and I am pretty certain sold much less, Carnival Games:Mini Golf sold poorly, Deca Sports 2 sold poorly - in the same way that RE4:Wii, COD:WaW, RE:UC, Red Steel are the islands in a sea of Conduits, Madworlds and Muramasas. If third parties really had it figures out then they wouldn't be struggling to sell games, the problem is they know even less about how to sell to the casual audience, hence why there aren't really any 3rd party casual franchises, beyond maybe the Rabbids titles. Because even when they make a game that resonates with the audience they have no clue why.

Indyana

Gamasutra said:
"The holiday Wii sales boost was primarily attributable to a $50 gift card promotion offered by Wal-Mart," he asserts. "While we expect similar promotions at holiday next year, we expect the other consoles to be lower-priced by then, further eroding the Wii’s competitive price advantage."
So, by Pachter explanation, Wall-Mart gift card is the main reason for the Wii sales boost in Europe and Japan too. NSMBW or the cheaper price are just minor details. And 360 Arcade has never been cheaper than the Wii. I can agree to some extent with his concerns, but this reasoning is beyond me.

By the way, where is the Sony and Microsoft doom-analysis? If Wii and DS are going to have a hard time, Pachter should have been yelling for years: Stay away from PS3 and 360! Only gloom and sorrow await you on those consoles! :lol

BowieZ

Banned
GAF needs to form its own game publisher's focus group.

Design a bunch of fleshed out game ideas, proposals, marketing/advertising plans, offer them, and just be done with it. Enough with the endless discussion.

jrricky

Banned
Stumpokapow said:
Except that Sony was very vocal about the fact that they spent 2008 and 2009 walking around to developers and publishers begging with their hats in hand and knees on the floor to return to the PSP and work on games there, and that begging almost certainly came with an enormous quantity of publisher-favourable initiatives including free or discounted dev kits, free or discounted licensing and platform fees, comarketing initiatives.

Also, I dare say that Sony revealing that they had a game-changing new piece of hardware that would revitalize software sales (sure, they failed utterly at delivering that) probably helped reassure developers that software sales were turning a corner.

I'm not saying this is a big "The Producers", but if you want to reconcile why a hardware platform that is apparently a utter failure at selling software gets more support than a platform that nominally does better, I'd start looking at this angle.
Interesting take, though I would assume psp devkits are going for pennies at this point in time. Plus I would assume Ubisoft has PSP devkits already. (unless they sold them back).

KamenSenshi

Eteric Rice said:
That's the one that confuses me. What the fuck happened there? :lol
in japan isnt it that they are way more handheld centric? that at least is something in a way. they arent just ignoring the wii its all home systems get the same treatment to a degree. wii is best selling so it gets dragon quest. ps3 is next and way over 360 so it retains ff. 360 gets everything else. what do you guys think would happen if square pulled its ff13 tactic on agito or birth by sleep? thats to say, it stays ps exclusive in japan but everywhere else its on wii also. lets even say it only outsells the psp version by 2 million worldwide. is it a victory and we get nothing else or do they write it of as a fluke since "of course it'll sell its ff"?

KamenSenshi

Stumpokapow said:
Except that Sony was very vocal about the fact that they spent 2008 and 2009 walking around to developers and publishers begging with their hats in hand and knees on the floor to return to the PSP and work on games there, and that begging almost certainly came with an enormous quantity of publisher-favourable initiatives including free or discounted dev kits, free or discounted licensing and platform fees, comarketing initiatives.

Also, I dare say that Sony revealing that they had a game-changing new piece of hardware that would revitalize software sales (sure, they failed utterly at delivering that) probably helped reassure developers that software sales were turning a corner.

I'm not saying this is a big "The Producers", but if you want to reconcile why a hardware platform that is apparently a utter failure at selling software gets more support than a platform that nominally does better, I'd start looking at this angle.

"Throw good money after bad" might sometimes work, but it's not good business to follow as a rule.
why should the market leader need to go around begging for games and cutting deals when it hasn't worked that well in the past if at all? didn't they give ubi a deal on dev kits and have part of retro help them out on red steel? seems like if 3rd parties want to make money its in their best interest to want to make the games themselves. like with conduit.

hokahey

Nintendo gamers are either extremely savvy or extremely casual. Publishers can't do in between bullshit. It either has to be AAA or scream "Buy Me Soccer Moms!!!"

KTGarda

BowieZ said:
GAF needs to form its own game publisher's focus group.

Design a bunch of fleshed out game ideas, proposals, marketing/advertising plans, offer them, and just be done with it. Enough with the endless discussion.

While such an idea has appeal, it would require a fairly large amount of money as well as strict organization. More than could be mustered by an internet fourm at any rate.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
hokahey said:
Nintendo gamers are either extremely savvy or extremely casual. Publishers can't do in between bullshit. It either has to be AAA or scream "Buy Me Soccer Moms!!!"
Do you actually believe this or is this supposed to be ironic?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
doomed1 said:
Do you actually believe this or is this supposed to be ironic?

Not like it's 100% wrong though. Of course, publishers themselves created this situation.

hellclerk

Andrex said:
Not like it's 100% wrong though. Of course, publishers themselves created this situation.
Well, I don't believe in this whole segmented market bullshit in the first place. It presents too much room for error and it's bad policy to try and pigeonhole the market. Because of the reality of individualism, the best, most objective way, in fact the only way to break up the market is via objective demographics such as age group and sex, and even that doesn't do much to actually sell the game other than vague sociological patterns. Making, marketing, and selling games is pretty much a spray and pray, it's just that different combinations of each present different rates of fire(sales). Companies need to optimize their sales strategies for better effect on the Wii, and that includes marketing and having a polished product. It's worked for games like EA Sports Active, but only because those are the games that get that kind of optimization. No one's really tried giving other Wii games that kind of treatment. I'd like to see how it goes over.

Dragmire

Kinda late, but....

11w8rb6.jpg

I think its honestly too late to salvage the situation. The only thing for publishers to do is not miss the boat next time when Wii's successor comes out.

Eteric Rice

KamenSenshi said:
in japan isnt it that they are way more handheld centric? that at least is something in a way. they arent just ignoring the wii its all home systems get the same treatment to a degree. wii is best selling so it gets dragon quest. ps3 is next and way over 360 so it retains ff. 360 gets everything else. what do you guys think would happen if square pulled its ff13 tactic on agito or birth by sleep? thats to say, it stays ps exclusive in japan but everywhere else its on wii also. lets even say it only outsells the psp version by 2 million worldwide. is it a victory and we get nothing else or do they write it of as a fluke since "of course it'll sell its ff"?

When the 360 has more RPGs than the market leading console in Japan, something is very, very wrong.

Hellsing321 said:
I think its honestly too late to salvage the situation. The only thing for publishers to do is not miss the boat next time when Wii's successor comes out.

I'm honestly starting to think that even if Nintendo has a high powered system with online, with a huge user base, they'll be looked over next generation too.

With all the illogical decisions made this generation, I'm honestly starting to believe there is a huge resistance to make games on Nintendo home platforms. It may be by publishers, developers, or both. But I'm really starting to think it's there, and that they'll make as many excuses as possible to avoid making games on a Nintendo platform.

robjoh

Rhindle said:

Why can't they make a new Lego Racers then :)

Penguin

Hellsing321 said:

I think if I were a third party, and Nintendo fans/owners showed so much "loyalty" I would try and build a brand to carry over to the next generation.

Sort of like the Rabbids series.

Jackson

KamenSenshi said:
why should the market leader need to go around begging for games and cutting deals when it hasn't worked that well in the past if at all? didn't they give ubi a deal on dev kits and have part of retro help them out on red steel? seems like if 3rd parties want to make money its in their best interest to want to make the games themselves. like with conduit.

Do you even know what you're talking about? Conduit was a sales failure.

Agnates

Banned
I know that wasn't the point but I'm pretty sure The Conduit made a good profit. It was hardly an IW caliber studio working on it, how much are those guys paid? They're a third rate studio at best mostly doing licenced crap. That they made every effort to overhype the game doesn't mean it was ever possible for it to be a Wii best seller, you know. How were the sales compared to their past games? That co-op shooter on PS2? How were the sales compared to studios of comparable size (but not scope!)? it almost did No More Heroes numbers, didn't it? If that was Grasshopper's greatest success yet, then surely that was pretty damn good for HVS also, especially with no licences attached on it. If it was such a failure then The Grinder would have moved platforms or been cancelled right there. Hopefully that ends up better, and hopefully it actually deserves to end up better. But yes, he should have picked a better example to make his point.

Faxanadu

Penguin said:
I think if I were a third party, and Nintendo fans/owners showed so much "loyalty" I would try and build a brand to carry over to the next generation.

Sort of like the Rabbids series.

Yeah, especially since Nintendo does have the most momentum going forward. Hell with all the cash they made they will probably have a powerful console + whatever new innovation they want to introduce. I'm not an HD whore but I can't wait to see Zelda or Metroid in higher resolutions.

Jackson

Agnates said:
I know that wasn't the point but I'm pretty sure The Conduit made a good profit. It was hardly an IW caliber studio working on it, how much are those guys paid? They're a third rate studio at best mostly doing licensed crap. That they made every effort to overhype the game doesn't mean it was ever possible for it to be a Wii best seller, you know. If it was such a failure then The Grinder would have moved platforms or been cancelled right there. Hopefully that ends up better, and hopefully it actually deserves to end up better.

No, I'm pretty sure it didn't. There's no way HVS made back whatever investment they put into it due to the royalty structure unless they sold the IP to Sega for the dev cost and I doubt Sega has broken even with the game (cogs, marketing, overhead).

The grinder doesn't even have a publisher. Why? Because no one wants a "more mature/bloody" version of The Conduit. Why? Because the Conduit didn't sell well. Will they get a publisher? Possibly, but it won't be anyone big.

Agnates

Banned
How much did it cost to HVS, and how much did it cost to SEGA as they entered the game close to the development's end? Seriously, how much should it sell to justify its development? As much as Killzone 2, like any investment HVS could even afford can be close to Sony's? :lol

What, you don't know? So it's just your negative attitude and speculation and my positive attitude and speculation? God damn. What now?

Maybe you should call me a junior?

Faxanadu

Jackson said:
No, I'm pretty sure it didn't. There's no way HVS made back whatever investment they put into it due to the royalty structure unless they sold the IP to Sega for the dev cost and I doubt Sega has broken even with the game (cogs, marketing, overhead).

The grinder doesn't even have a publisher. Why? Because no one wants a "more mature/bloody" version of The Conduit. Why? Because the Conduit didn't sell well. Will they get a publisher? Possibly, but it won't be anyone big.

It has to be at least 300K units by now. I found this article, not sure how reliable but it was 270k in september. Seems to be the most "up to date" info I could find for now.

http://gamerblips.dailyradar.com/story/the-conduit-has-sold-270-000-units-through-september/

So let's assume that maybe 200k copies sold at full price of $50 (rounding)
Thats: $10,000,000

And then assume if that extra 70 thousand sold at a discount, say $30 bucks.
Thats: $2,100,000

So 12 million ish in sales up to september as a guesstimate. Who knows what the game cost but it might be around break even or just under. Who know? I'm not a mathmatician or analyst.

Jackson

Agnates said:
How much did it cost to HVS, and how much did it cost to SEGA as they entered the game close to the development's end?

Who knows. 5 million total? 3 million total? HVS didn't make that back in sales, and Sega, like I said, is somewhere north or south around break even.

hellclerk

Jackson said:
Do you even know what you're talking about? Conduit was a sales failure.
That's not entirely true. Both the critical and sales reception of the game was lukewarm, much like the actual game. It wasn't a failure I don't think, since I think it covered its bill. I remember a figure of about 300k units worldwide. That would be about $15million in raw revenue for the game. assuming retailer and licensing costs would take $10 away from the price (you can correct me if I'm wrong on the retailer prices), that would still be about $12 million in return revenue, which is likely above what they spent on making and marketing the game. The Conduit wasn't a runaway hit, but for what it was, it did well enough to justify its business existence.

But again, the Conduit is a bad example, since it was a game even I traded in within a month.

Jackson

Faxanadu said:
It has to be at least 300K units by now. I found this article, not sure how reliable but it was 270k in september. Seems to be the most "up to date" info I could find for now.

http://gamerblips.dailyradar.com/story/the-conduit-has-sold-270-000-units-through-september/

So let's assume that maybe 200k copies sold at full price of $50 (rounding)
Thats: $10,000,000

And then assume if that extra 70 thousand sold at a discount, say $30 bucks.
Thats: $2,100,000

So 12 million ish in sales up to september as a guesstimate. Who knows what the game cost but it might be around break even or just under. Who know? I'm not a mathmatician or analyst.

So where is Nintendo's cut? Where is retailer's cut? Where is Sega's cut? Where is HVS's cut? How many units did Sega produce (if they produced more than they sold that's cash gone). How much money did they spend on marketing? how much does it cost to make? How much did Sega pay HVS for the IP (if anything?)

It's not 12m, even if retail it is.

doomed1 said:
The Conduit wasn't a runaway hit, but for what it was, it did well enough to justify its business existence.

I disagree, which is why you won't see a Conduit 2 and which is why The Grinder doesn't have a publisher and which is why Sega won't be publishing it.

Faxanadu

Jackson said:
So where is Nintendo's cut? Where is retailer's cut? Where is Sega's cut? Where is HVS's cut? How many units did Sega produce (if they produced more than they sold that's cash gone). How much money did they spend on marketing?

Oh, I know that. I was more getting at the retail sales. Then if someone know the actual costs to subtract them from that.

hellclerk

Jackson said:
So where is Nintendo's cut? Where is retailer's cut? Where is Sega's cut? Where is HVS's cut? How many units did Sega produce (if they produced more than they sold that's cash gone). How much money did they spend on marketing?

The game was still at full price in September. I remember because I traded it in that month for Phantom Brave, a game I really need to work on, so that would be about $13.5million in raw revenue. What would you say the general retailer/licensing cut would be?

I disagree, which is why you won't see a Conduit 2 and which is why The Grinder doesn't have a publisher and which is why Sega won't be publishing it.
I'm not so sure. Just because we haven't seen a Conduit 2 YET doesn't mean we won't. Similarly, the Grinder doesn't have a publisher because what we've seen so far seems about as lukewarm as the Conduit. I have no excuses for that game, but I'm pretty sure they broke even with it.

Jackson

doomed1 said:
I'm not so sure. Just because we haven't seen a Conduit 2 YET doesn't mean we won't. Similarly, the Grinder doesn't have a publisher because what we've seen so far seems about as lukewarm as the Conduit. I have no excuses for that game, but I'm pretty sure they broke even with it.

I never said Sega didn't break even, I assumed they're right around it. I said HVS didn't break even, unless Sega paid them upfront for their IP and paid out the dev budget they invested, which is possible. Otherwise if Sega didn't pay them and fronted the bill on the game, I doubt HVS has earned out thier advance from their royalty. Remember HVS was looking for a publisher when they announced, that tells me they couldn't finish it themselves.Game deals are always very different and dependent on a lot of factors. I would assume HVS didn't front the full cost of the Conduit though, and Sega had to foot a few million to finish it at least. Also the market is different when that deal was made, was the Conduit a 8million dollar budget game? When Wii had promise? Or a 3 million dollar game when Wii didn't have promise for 3rd parties and pubs weren't willing to spend cash. Did Sega put in 1m for advertising and marketing? or 5 million? I remember seeing tv commercials, so I assume it was a decent marketing budget for a Wii game.

And the Grinder is way more lukewarm than The Conduit buzz was. Reggie ain't calling out the Grinder like he was The Conduit.

The bottom line for a publisher is... is the ROI worth spending money and resources on? And with Conduit the answer I conclude is no. The margins are too slim to focus more/secondary effort on. It's better to try something with a larger margin than a smaller margin. That same money and effort could return more potential profit on a different game than on Conduit 2 or The Grinder.

Could I be wrong and they're making the Conduit 2 and The Grinder is being published by EA? Yes. But I doubt highly it.

hellclerk

For the Conduit I'll wholeheartedly agree with you, but I don't consider it meaning anything more than the reception of TimeShift on the 360. It was a pretty blatantly average game that had some advertising, but it wasn't well received at retail was well as was hoped. Meanwhile there were other FPSs that did better than it before because of better gameplay and IP, i.e. World at War. There's really nothing that can be done about what happened to the Conduit, but every game has to be taken on a case by case basis. The Conduit didn't really do that well, but World at War sure did, and with much less. It just all really depends on a solid core concept, polish, and marketing. That's what sells games. The Conuit lacked the first of the two, and while it had the most important, marketing, that's never a guarantee.

Top Bottom