• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Third Party Wii Games

Jackson

doomed1 said:
It just all really depends on a solid core concept, polish, and marketing. That's what sells games. The Conuit lacked the first of the two, and while it had the most important, marketing, that's never a guarantee.

It had PR which is free, IGN hyping it and forum fanboys going nuts. I don't know how much marketing (anything paid, like ads, or promotionals) it had, but like I said TV commercials account for something.

And ya, I agree with you (for original IP, licenses don't need any of those on the game side to sell), but trust me if anyone here on GAF gets solid core concepts, I do. :lol

Eteric Rice

Since Jackson is here, might as well ask.

Whats your thoughts on the Wii third party situation? What do you think the problem is? I mean, you're a developer, can you give us some infos? :)

Also, is there really a hatred for Nintendo among third party developers? If so, why?

Do people really think Nintendo has magic fairy potions that sell games?

Mael

Eteric Rice said:
When the 360 has more RPGs than the market leading console in Japan, something is very, very wrong.

Oh no, DS has more alright. :lol
If you think that many people make that much difference between handheld and consoles you are greatly mistaken

Eteric Rice

Mael said:
Oh no, DS has more alright. :lol
If you think that many people make that much difference between handheld and consoles you are greatly mistaken

I'm talking about in the home console space, though.

Mael

Eteric Rice said:
I'm talking about in the home console space, though.

And in Japan (and Europe probably too), nobody cares about that,
it's all entertainment.
From a consumer view, they're all video games competing for our time.
If you want RPG you go DS, it's not like there's any choice in the matter.

Eteric Rice

Mael said:
And in Japan (and Europe probably too), nobody cares about that,
it's all entertainment.
From a consumer view, they're all video games competing for our time.
If you want RPG you go DS, it's not like there's any choice in the matter.

I don't think you're getting me. I know what you're saying. What I'm saying is that when a western console that everyone in Japan hates, has more RPGs than the best selling console in Japan, you're fucked in terms of consoles.

I know the DS is the king of RPGs, I am aware. I'm just saying, the Wii should at least be second to the DS.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
Jackson said:
It had PR which is free, IGN hyping it and forum fanboys going nuts. I don't know how much marketing (anything paid, like ads, or promotionals) it had, but like I said TV commercials account for something.

And ya, I agree with you (for original IP, licenses don't need any of those on the game side to sell), but trust me if anyone here on GAF gets solid core concepts, I do. :lol
You of all people should know that forum-goers, even ones like me, are perhaps the smallest minority of gamers out there, especially on the Wii. You can never really take their suggestions on how to do one thing or another at face value. I like to think I have a good perspective on this relatively speaking, but the truth of the matter is that I lack alot of data that may or may not change my perspective on the matter. The internet is thus a very poor metric for determining a game's success, even on games the internet doesn't like.

Mael

Eteric Rice said:

I don't think you're getting me. I know what you're saying. What I'm saying is that when a western console that everyone in Japan hates, has more RPGs than the best selling console in Japan, you're fucked in terms of consoles.

I know the DS is the king of RPGs, I am aware. I'm just saying, the Wii should at least be second to the DS.

Actually a better metric would be how much rpgs were played on each one.
I mean cumulative sales of rpg games on each, I mean if you have 30 rpgs and each sell 1 copy and on the other hand you have 2 rpgs selling 600 copies, the second platform is the one the customers associate with rpg.
But I see what your point is

btw Jackson, the hype for Scribblenauts was way better than the game, never again please!

Jackson

Eteric Rice said:
Since Jackson is here, might as well ask.

Whats your thoughts on the Wii third party situation? What do you think the problem is? I mean, you're a developer, can you give us some infos? :)?

The problem is Wii is a tough nut to crack. Nintendo and 3rd party has done all the "duh" ideas and had them ready years before people knew what the Wii even was.

My opinion is that even Miyamoto couldn't keep pumping out new ideas using the waggle, they moved over to Wii Fit board. If Miyamoto can't make new original stuff on it, who can?!

Eteric Rice said:
Also, is there really a hatred for Nintendo among third party developers? If so, why??

Nintendo doesn't need 3rd party, they do fine without them. Sony and Microsoft NEED 3rd party to not only thrive, but survive. So those two are more willing to do whatever it takes. Also Nintendo is dominating so they're not willing to make nice deals, like say Sony would be since Sony needs to play catch up they're more open and willing to new developers, new ip, fostering new ideas. Make sense?

Eteric Rice said:
Do people really think Nintendo has magic fairy potions that sell games?

Yes, but I disagree... I've done 3 original, new IPs -- two of which have sold incredibly well and the 3rd still made money and did well critically.

Nintendo can doesn't take a fee for their own games nor does producing units cost as much as it does for EA. Nintendo can spend 10mill on marketing Brain Age AND sell it for 19.99 on DS, while EA could never do that. Get me?

Also Nintendo can put the word Wii in their title, 3rd party can't without some insane fee.

Jackson

doomed1 said:
forum-goers, even ones like me, are perhaps the smallest minority of gamers out there, especially on the Wii. You can never really take their suggestions on how to do one thing or another at face value. The internet is thus a very poor metric for determining a game's success, even on games the internet doesn't like.

lkzyz89efm_clap.gif

:lol :lol :lol

Now if every fanboy who I got into a debate about a game had this understanding the world would be a happy place.

I'm not calling you a fanboy per se :p

Mael

Jackson said:
The problem is Wii is a tough nut to crack. Nintendo and 3rd party has done all the "duh" ideas and had them ready years before people knew what the Wii even was.

My opinion is that even Miyamoto couldn't keep pumping out new ideas using the waggle, they moved over to Wii Fit board. If Miyamoto can't make new original stuff on it, who can?!

Huh, most of the titles that are not part of the Wii brand are actually concepts made with gamecube in mind (from twilight princess to smash bros brawl).

Wiifit was WiiHealth pack and it was being made ALONGSIDE WiiSport and Wiiplay.
That Miyamoto have no more ideas on using 'waggle' and Wiifit being proof of that is not a very good argument (and the fact that you use 'waggle' tells me you're not taking it seriously, I mean if all 3rd parties have that frame of mind it's no wonder they're not suceeding)

Jackson said:
Nintendo doesn't need 3rd party, they do fine without them. Sony and Microsoft NEED 3rd party to not only thrive, but survive. So those two are more willing to do whatever it takes. Also Nintendo is dominating so they're not willing to make nice deals, like say Sony would be since Sony needs to play catch up they're more open and willing to new developers, new ip, fostering new ideas. Make sense?

Considering how 3rd parties actually considered Nintendo prior to the Wii, I don't think it would be very smart of them to rely on them.

Jackson said:
Yes, but I disagree... I've done 3 original, new IPs -- two of which have sold incredibly well and the 3rd still made money and did well critically.

Nintendo can doesn't take a fee for their own games nor does producing units cost as much as it does for EA. Nintendo can spend 10mill on marketing Brain Age AND sell it for 19.99 on DS, while EA could never do that. Get me?

The fun part is that 3rd parties actually raised the cost of the games all by themselves, and actually they passed it on the consumers (from 50/60 to 60/70 bucks).
Heck most 3rd party games on Wii are 60€ here.

Nobody would buy them anyway when they're costier for the consumer than the latest Nintendo game that is ALSO way better.
I mean do you really think that people would prefer to buy Tomb Raider at 60€ or Wario Land at 50€?
Heck now we're seeing lower priced games, Capcom's latest rail shooter was actually retailing at 50€ (with the Zapper).
And lastly for your example Brain Age, that game cost nearly NOTHING to make. So indeed it can be sold at half price.
Their latest touch generation game is Style Savyy and it's selling at the usual price of 40bucks, so it's not like it's in their habit to sell games at half price.

Jackson said:
Also Nintendo can put the word Wii in their title, 3rd party can't without some insane fee.

If you want to use somebody's else IP there's chance it's gonna cost you :-/
They're not a charity after all (and neither are you I guess)
Nothing is stopping a 3rd party from making a franchise of quality titles that is well marketed after all (which Wii Series IS).

Eteric Rice

Jackson said:

I can see that with the original Wiimote, maybe. With WM+, I could come up with some new, original stuff, though.

Yeah, I suppose. But even if Nintendo did go to third parties, I still get the feeling they wouldn't listen. There just seems to be a hard bias against Nintendo in this industry.

I'm still surprised they've ignored RE4. That was an obvious success, and it's obvious people want more games like it, but they won't provide them. Why? And especially DSE. Why the hell wasn't DSE a third person shooter?

Err, considering EA just spent 2.5 million on a single commercial, I'm pretty sure they're just as capable as Nintendo in terms of marketing. It might cost more to produce the units and pay off the licensing fee, but I'm quite sure EA could advertise their games with the same frequency as Nintendo.

Eh, I can kind of see why this is annoying. At the same time I can see why they do this. Just letting anyone put "Wii" in their game's name could harm the actual Wii ____ brand if the third party games are bad.

Jackson

Eteric Rice said:
I can see that with the original Wiimote, maybe. With WM+, I could come up with some new, original stuff, though.

New stuff that's awesome and going to make a larger return on investment than on a 360/PS3? I would argue no. Thus they focus their money on PS3/360. You can't port a Wii waggle awesome game to 360/PS3 (now you can with sony wand/natal in theory, but before you could not.) Putting yourself in the shoes of someone who has to justify his decisions to their shareholders constantly. Would you rather have 2 consoles selling at $60 where you KNOW 3rd party can win or 1 console where traditionally it doesn't?

Eteric Rice said:
Yeah, I suppose. But even if Nintendo did go to third parties, I still get the feeling they wouldn't listen. There just seems to be a hard bias against Nintendo in this industry.

Nintendo would NEVER go to a 3rd party nor care about a 3rd party. There was a hard bias to Sony during PS2 era from the industry because Sony was the leader. Haters gonna hate? :lol

Eteric Rice said:
Err, considering EA just spent 2.5 million on a single commercial, I'm pretty sure they're just as capable as Nintendo in terms of marketing. It might cost more to produce the units and pay off the licensing fee, but I'm quite sure EA could advertise their games with the same frequency as Nintendo.

Yes... on a 360/PS3 game that costs $60 a pop, my point was Nintendo can afford to do 10M+ marketing stuff on DS for $19.99 (where retailer and licensing fees can cost upwards of $15 dollars off retail to a 3rd party pub). Nintendo can do the same for only $5 dollars off retail. No way is EA paying 10m in marketing for a 19.99 game, Nintendo as a first party has that advantage (all 1st parties do)

Financially, I think the Wii and third-parties issue is a lost cause. Too little, too late.

But creatively? I've seen tons of great ideas (from GAF, even) on how to use the pointer and even the waggle functions. And that's not even counting Motion +. Surely, professional devs could figure out how to make a great game whether or not the waggle/pointer usage was truly revolutionary or simply just fun.

P.S. Scribblenauts was my GOTY.

Mael

Jackson said:

Then why are they making Wii games at all then?
I mean if they're so sure it isn't worth the investment why are they making the games then?
And more importantly why do they keep whinning over it?

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
Jackson said:
lkzyz89efm_clap.gif

:lol :lol :lol

Now if every fanboy who I got into a debate about a game had this understanding the world would be a happy place.

I'm not calling you a fanboy per se :p
Hey, you wouldn't be the first one. Not even the first one tonight. I'm generally very academic about my games, and my current console reflects 3 things: how broke I am, how I'm wary of the Hollywood model being applied to games, and how much I love Zelda. Everything else is just whatever.

And I swear, I'm going to buy Scribblenauts as soon as I have some extra dough.

Jackson

Freezie KO said:
Financially, I think the Wii and third-parties issue is a lost cause. Too little, too late.

But creatively? I've seen tons of great ideas (from GAF, even) on how to use the pointer and even the waggle functions. And that's not even counting Motion +. Surely, professional devs could figure out how to make a great game whether or not the waggle/pointer usage was truly revolutionary or simply just fun.

P.S. Scribblenauts was my GOTY.

Thanks man :) I appreciate hearing that! I agree there's tons of great ideas, but are they marketable? Zak & Wiki was fun as heck, Little King's Story too, but sold like poo cause it's not the Wii's market.

So many factors involved, very complicated... bottom line -- as you said, too little, too late now. :(

kinosama

Neo Member
The problem of third party games on Wii isn't the casual crowd, it's the so called "hardcore" gamers, which for the most part all own a Wii but rarely ever consider looking into third party games on the system.

So yeah, it's all you guys' fault. Talking all day about it and never putting your money where your mouth is.

"Hardcore" oriented third party games can sell on Wii. The sole proof we'll ever need is RE4:Wii Edition or Umbrella Chronicles, both selling around a million units. It's just that publishers need to take the system more seriously (hint: more rail shooters is not the answer), so that gamers can start considering those titles again, instead of complaining all day that their Wii is "collecting dust".

I mean, who here actually bought Muramasa, House of the Dead Overkill or Silent Hill? Given the critical acclaim those titles got, not enough so called "gamers" did!

Faxanadu

kinosama said:
The problem of third party games on Wii isn't the casual crowd, it's the so called "hardcore" gamers, which for the most part all own a Wii but rarely ever consider looking into third party games on the system.

So yeah, it's all you guys' fault. Talking all day about it and never putting your money where your mouth is.

"Hardcore" oriented third party games can sell on Wii. The sole proof we'll ever need is RE4:Wii Edition or Umbrella Chronicles, both selling around a million units. It's just that publishers need to take the system more seriously (hint: more rail shooters is not the answer), so that gamers can start considering those titles again, instead of complaining all day that their Wii is "collecting dust".

I mean, who here actually bought Muramasa, House of the Dead Overkill or Silent Hill? Given the critical acclaim those titles got, not enough so called "gamers" did!

I bought them.

Mael

kinosama said:

Better not go this way if I were you.
I bought a total of more than 40 retail games on the Wii.
Heck I own both House of the Dead games, both Resident Evil Chronicle games, crappy Conduit and MANY more.
I even bought Zack & Wiki on day1, and it's pretty much why I didn't buy Spyborgs
Heck I even bought (and sold) Medal of Honor Vanguard, thinking it would be so great (it's not).

I don't have Silent Hill and plan on buying it(not out here yet).

I buy way more software than I already should, I'm now sure of 1 thing after 3 years :
Avoid 3rd parties like the black plague.
After 3 years I think the training is working.

Shiggy

kinosama said:

The problem was: There were better games.

Big One

Banned
Shiggy said:
The problem was: There were better games.
Well I dunno about you but Shattered Memories would be my favorite Wii game if it wasn't for Disaster: Day of Crisis.

As for better games on the HD systems.. :lol I would say games like Uncharted 1 & 2 and Demon's Souls, maybe, but it's about the same level of quality and design in general all across this gen. For the Wii it's only limited by graphics and processing power, but really the games are hardly any different from what you'd see on the HD systems.

Taker666

Jackson said:
Thanks man :) I appreciate hearing that! I agree there's tons of great ideas, but are they marketable? Zak & Wiki was fun as heck, Little King's Story too, but sold like poo cause it's not the Wii's market.

So many factors involved, very complicated... bottom line -- as you said, too little, too late now. :(

You can't tell me a first person classic trilogy Star Wars lightsaber game, A spider-man game using the pointer to aim webs and a Harry Potter Game with a wand shell/broom stick shell...are not marketable ideas..

..and they were all suggested within days of the wii remote being announced.

and I disagree it's too little too late. If you released quality games based on those ideas with a decent ad budget..I still believe they would sell very well.

Mael

Taker666 said:
You can't tell me a first person classic trilogy Star Wars lightsaber game, A spider-man game using the pointer to aim webs and a Harry Potter Game with a wand shell/broom stick shell...are not marketable ideas..

and I disagree it's too little too late. If you released quality games based on those ideas with a decent ad budget..I still believe they would sell very well.

And we're talking 3rd parties here, I mean I lost all hope of ever seeing something competently made (and I mean something akin to RE4 or ironically Monster Hunter) from them when the director from re5 said that the people at Cavia were making a better job than he was (=> "seeing Darkside Chronicle I guess RE5 could have been made on Wii").

wazoo

Jackson said:

Do you imply they would have found a better home elsewhere ?? In my opinon, the Wii was the last chance for those games to be produced and sold.

Jackson

Taker666 said:

I was specifically talking about new, original IPs... it's really late so I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure there already was a Harry Potter Game with a Wand to cast magic using the Wiimote.

Koren

kinosama said:
I mean, who here actually bought Muramasa, House of the Dead Overkill or Silent Hill?
I did the job (except for SH which is not available here yet). And many others games, too...

farnham

Banned
kinosama said:

i bought muramasa, house of the dead overkill, mad world, klonoa remake, little king story, rune factory frontier, dead space extraction, okami etc etc....

so yeah i think i did my job

silent hill will get added as soon as its available in pal lands

robjoh

Taker666 said:

I agree with this post, I can understand why 3rd parties doesn't want to make new IP. However I can't understand why they doesn't use some of the existing IPs more than they do, specially if they have sold very well on Wii already.

1, Star Wars is one IP that have sold well, both as in Lego Star Wars and only Star Wars.
2, Lego, a well nown family IP, and Lego Star Wars, Lego Indy and Lego Batman al sold decently or really good on Wii. The funny thing is that Lego has made Lego games before that shoudl fit the "casual" audiance. Lego Racers was a great Kart game on PC, were you built your own kart from Lego bricks.

All those ideas should be somewhat safe just looking at what have sold before, so why aren't they trying? If Lego Racers Wii could reach 10% of the Mario Kart market it would be a great success.

I am not a developer nor a publisher but sometimes I think that some publisher is wasting their money on the wrong games for Wii. It is nothing wrong in doing a mini game collection, but why are you doing 5 each year? One fitness game is a good idea, one each year without much new not so. Why not make one minigame each year, one Kart game, one plattformer or similiar. Don't waste resources making a lot of games in the same genre.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Hey, now that Jackson's here, a question occurs to me. I know you guys didn't develop it, but I thought you might know anyway, did Drawn to Life Wii sell well at all? I mean, appealing concept, a solid if not exceptional platformer (if reviews are to be believed), a fair bit of brand recognition from how well the first sold, the dichotomy of Wii version vs DS version so it doesn't seem like just a yearly upgrade to consumers....I dunno how well it was marketed, but I'm curious.

Jokeropia

Rhindle said:
See the problem with that is that it usually is not up to 3rd parties to "build an audience" for games on a platform. It's almost always 1st party development that defines a platform. The 360 and PS3 have a "core audience" because that's where 1st party development was concentrated. Sony's 1st party development used to be a lot more diverse, so PS2 had a much broader base. Halo was Microsoft's flagship, so Xbox became the dominant FPS platform.
FYI, Nintendo's "core" games have outsold Sony and Microsoft's "core" games.
Rhindle said:
So stuff with Mario and fitness does well, because that's what people bought the platform for, and not much else does.
This is so ridiculously inaccurate that I just have to laugh. :lol

gamingeek

I only read the first 2 pages, but this thread has some suprisingly intelligent responses so far.

I would say it comes down to three things, ambition, execution and marketing.

Worryingly there aren't enough Wii games from third parties that have ambition. Either in scope or mechanics. Then there is excecution, there is no point hyping a game and then dropping a squib.

Lastly, marketing, do it right, invest a similar amount to an HD console blockbuster. See what happens. When all three are right as they so frequently are in HD Blockbusters, you have big sales.

Also dont make the wii audience feel like they are lapdogs eating leftovers. Instead of Darkside Chronicles let Cavia make a proper RE4 type game on Wii, call it RE6 whilst working on RE7 on the HD consoles at the same time.

farnham

Banned
gamingeek said:
I only read the first 2 pages, but this thread has some suprisingly intelligent responses so far.

I would say it comes down to three things, ambition, execution and marketing.

Worryingly there aren't enough Wii games from third parties that have ambition. Either in scope or mechanics. Then there is excecution, there is no point hyping a game and then dropping a squib.

Lastly, marketing, do it right, invest a similar amount to an HD console blockbuster. See what happens. When all three are right as they so frequently are in HD Blockbusters, you have big sales.

Also dont make the wii audience feel like they are lapdogs eating leftovers. Instead of Darkside Chronicles let Cavia make a proper RE4 type game on Wii, call it RE6 whilst working on RE7 on the HD consoles at the same time.
or just port some HD games to the wii... i think cod reflex didnt loose a lot of money...

robjoh

The_Technomancer said:
Hey, now that Jackson's here, a question occurs to me. I know you guys didn't develop it, but I thought you might know anyway, did Drawn to Life Wii sell well at all? I mean, appealing concept, a solid if not exceptional platformer (if reviews are to be believed), a fair bit of brand recognition from how well the first sold, the dichotomy of Wii version vs DS version so it doesn't seem like just a yearly upgrade to consumers....I dunno how well it was marketed, but I'm curious.

There was a Wii edition of Drawn to Life?

KamenSenshi

Jackson said:
Do you even know what you're talking about? Conduit was a sales failure.
yes i know what im talking about i just wsnt clear enough obviously i guess. i know conduit didnt sale, i was reffering to the effort hvs put into it. they set out to make the best game they could in an empty genre on wii. basically an open genre at that point anyway.

zigg

robjoh said:

I'm actually not sure I've ever seen one in stores, and I've been known to peruse the Wii aisles on a somewhat regular basis.

KamenSenshi

ok it seems like when i didnt fleshout my thought well enough a dev came in. so i have a question for you. what game would you say has had that level of devotion from the developers for the wii? not specifically the self funding but more like seeing an open genre and actively targeting it, not just dumbing it down.

Effect

I wonder what western developers think of the latest announcements from Nintendo. It seems like the best possible way for Nintendo to get decent 3rd party support is to partner up with developers. Nintendo+Team Ninja for Metroid Other M (granted it's a Nintendo IP). Nintendo+Mistwalker for The Last Story (hope this does great). Then there is Nintendo having Monolith Soft (which is a Nintendo studio it isn't 3rd party but it isn't internally made by Nintendo) making Xenoblade. No half-assed games. No "test" games. No C and D teams here it seems.

I like to see this, could be wrong, as Nintendo having had enough. These games along with SMG2, Zelda Wii, Monster Hunter 3 (Nintendo working with Capcom even so far as to advertise themselves. Makes me think they fronted a nice bit of money for this), Zangeki no REGINLEIV are Nintendo in a way doing it themselves finally. They gave 3rd parties an opening and chance, even lessening their own output but nothing came from it.

KamenSenshi

this is good. they gave a chance and got nothing. only thing is now they can complain about not being able to compete in even more things.

Sadist

zigg said:
I'm actually not sure I've ever seen one in stores, and I've been known to peruse the Wii aisles on a somewhat regular basis.
I did though.

I heard the game actually performed "good" enough.

Dave Long

Banned
Something I've wondered for quite awhile now is why there aren't more games that simply use the Wii remote as a pointer. There are countless games on the PC that play that way and the Wii Remote really does work just as well as a mouse.

Where's the real-time strategy game? More turn-based strategy? Menu-based games? Something brand new that uses pointing controls even?

I just think the bottom line is that developers at most 3rd party publishers and developers don't want to make games on Wii because they can't fathom graphics that aren't the latest and greatest. That's the bottom line.

robjoh said:

I heard about it. Never knew when or if it released.... I've seen no commercials, and no game store that I've visited in the past 9 months has had it when I've gone there.

DNF

Dave Long said:
Something I've wondered for quite awhile now is why there aren't more games that simply use the Wii remote as a pointer. There are countless games on the PC that play that way and the Wii Remote really does work just as well as a mouse.

Where's the real-time strategy game? More turn-based strategy? Menu-based games? Something brand new that uses pointing controls even?

I just think the bottom line is that developers at most 3rd party publishers and developers don't want to make games on Wii because they can't fathom graphics that aren't the latest and greatest. That's the bottom line.

Yes 3 years ago you would have thought that at this point there would atleast be one of the "bigger" rts-franchises (C&C, Starcraft, Warcraft or anything like this) on WII, wouldn't you ?

Or a Lucasfilm-Games point'n'click adventure collection. Could do well with the "expanded audiences".

WillyFive

Frencherman said:
What happened to this one? Weren't the great sales of this half-ass TFU-Port enough?

It takes time to make a game you know. Motion Plus was unveiled about a month before The Force Unleashed was going out. If they plan on using it, it will have to be until Force Unleashed 2.

Top Bottom