• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This is the Police |OT| Woop! Woop!

Nillansan

U2LVv01.png

About

Dive into a deep story of corruption, crime and intrigue. Take the role of gritty Police Chief Jack Boyd, and come face to face with the ugly underbelly of Freeburg, a city spiraling the drain. Will Jack reach his retirement with a nice stack of bills, or will he end up broken or worse? Manage your staff, respond to emergencies, and investigate crimes in a city on the brink of chaos. The mafia underworld maneuvers behind the scenes, sinking their claws ever deeper into the city, even as the mayor is ready to exploit every situation to his political advantage. Choose your approach to each situation as it unfolds. Sometimes you’ll be responding to a developing crisis at a crime scene, or negotiating with Freeburg’s crime bosses. Sometimes you’ll find yourself dodging questions in the press room, or even the occasional cross-examination in the witness box. Can you keep this pressure cooker from exploding, at least for long enough to stash away a nice retirement nest egg?

Features

• Your mission is clear: make $500,000 in 180 days, before Jack Boyd reaches retirement. How? That’s up to you!
  • Decisions, decisions! This Is the Police is all about a dark story and how you react to it. Whatever you decide, your choices will influence the game – and the fate of Jack Boyd.
  • The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly? The Chief of Freeburg's Police Department deals with all kind of people. It is up to you to find the bad guys, and decide how to deal with them.
  • Carry out your duties. As head of Freeburg PD, Jack deals with all sorts of challenges every day: responding to emergencies, managing his officers, defending the department against City Hall and a corrupt mayor, and much more.
  • Solve Investigations and gather evidence against the criminal gangs of Freeburg.
  • Deal with the competing powers of the city. Everyone offers you favors, and each one comes at a price.
  • Rich and fully voiced story. Jack Boyd is portrayed by Jon St. John, the voice of Duke Nukem.
Screenshots

General Information

Official Site: This is the Police.
Steam Store Page: This is the Police on Steam.
Humble Bundle Store Page: This is the Police on Humble Store.
GOG Store Page: This is the Police on GOG.
Platforms: PC, Mac OS X, SteamOS and Linux.
Release Date: 2nd August 2016.
Developer: Weappy Studio.
OT Subtitle by: pantsattack - Thank you.

Reviews

ACG Review (Youtube).
Cosmic Engine Review (Youtube).
Eurogamer Review (Youtube).
Destructiod Review.
Kill Screen Review.

Videos

A Lot of Vices Trailer (July 2016)
So Barbaric Trailer (April 2016)
Gameplay Trailer (October 2015)
No Good (July 2016)
This Is The Police First Moments Quick Look by ACG (July 2016)

Windows Requirements
Minimum
Processor: Dual Core CPU.
Memory: 2 GB RAM.
Graphics: Geforce 7800, AMD HD 4600, Intel HD3000 or similar.
DirectX: Version 9.0.
Hard Drive: 5 GB available space.
Sound Card: DirectX compatible.

Recommended
Processor: Quad Core CPU.
Memory: 4 GB RAM.
Graphics: GeForce 560 or higher, AMD Radeon HD 5800 or higher.

Mac OS X Requirements
Minimum
Graphics: GeForce GT 330M, AMD Radeon HD 5750M, Intel HD 4000 or similar.
Sound Card: Soundblaster compatible.

Recommended

SteamOS and Linux Requirements
Minimum

Recommended

Ashtar

Wow never even heard of this game but looks really interesting will watch some videos on it, heck might even buy it on Mac just to never play it!

Inumbris

Wow, I have no idea how this flew under my radar but this looks great! So many different systems stacking on top of one and other in those trailers, plus I love the art style and music.

Have the developers worked on anything prior to this? Or is this a debut?

Karak

Fantastic title. My stream was a total hit lol because this thing is so fun to watch hahaha. Some great moral choices and great gameplay.
Few games have me return after reviewing it but man this one did.

WaterAstro

So my comments on this game as I probably won't bother finishing it.

The gameplay isn't that interesting, it actually is pretty shallow, and the forced story choices really killed what I thought I could be doing in this game,
which was to fight against corruption and the mafia.

The story, at least in the beginning, really drags gameplay moments down because they are so long and drawn out for the sake of drama, that you don't feel excited when getting back to the gameplay.

I was also expecting tension between the chief and the staff, and you had to get to know them better and earn their trust, but they are basically just lifeless names and faces. It's actually even worse
because you're forced to fire staff for the sake of meeting these dumb city hall requirements like "fire all black people" or "hire more woman".

Not liking it.

Corpekata

Banned
This game is in desperate need of a fast forward button. Feel like I'm waiting around a helluva lot around day 30 now.

And a copy editor. Many events regarding officers will always refer to them as male.

Fuz

Banned
Playing it.
Loving it.
It's really, really great.

And, guys, despite what the idiots at kotaku say,
you're not forced to violently repress the feminist protest. You're not forced to fire all black cops. I did neither and right now I'm just fine at day 90+. Yes, you're forced to work with the mafia. But you can have your revenge.

I like all the "minigames", the interface is clean and simple, the story is great, amazingly written and delivered. Biggest flaw is the game is often so, so slow. There's a huge amount of "nothing" time and little things you can't skip (the car start scene, music selection...). Can bother some people (also, can't alt tab away from that because the game autopauses. Hate that.), but it's not a huge deal.

aravuus

No idea what this game's really even about, but whatever, it's cheap and everyone who's played it seems to love it. Downloading now.

I remember this game being talked about on Offworld so I decided to pick it up. I can't get past day 11 or 12. I keep dying. Do you have to help the mafia in order to get past day 11? And, despite sending swat and my best cops to the feminist rally, I still fail that mission because I'm not using violence.

It doesn't feel like there is any choice in this game, only the illusion of it.

And, doing this for 180 days when I've now replayed the first two weeks twice, I don't know if I'll ever see the end. Kind of a bummer.

Corpekata

Banned
Around day 100 and I'm really souring on the game.

Police officers are just stat cards with seeming no real actual assigned personality. It makes it SEEM like they might be early on, but it seems like RNG determines if they want a day off to go do something silly or serious, and saying No doesn't seem to have any consequences. This would have been a way to give the game some personality. Give them some unique traits like they will only work solo, or maybe some old timer that won't partner up with women cops, that sort of thing. Finding out these things would also make the "Snitch" thing feel more useful.

The things that the game makes seem like are important things you have to do are quickly resolved by other mini-events, and so hardly feel like hard choices once you realize that

There are so many slow gaps with nothing to do. A lot of the "affairs" stuff seems useless besides the Police Academy and the picnic to restore energy, but I've rarely needed to have anyone work double shifts to get them low in the first place.

Maybe the last act will bite me in the ass and these things WILL have consequences I'm just not seeing yet, but right now the game just feels slow and incredibly easy. And also weirdly balanced. Like why is the mafia offering me 800 dollars to not respond to a call this far in? I've got like 300 grand at this point.

Corpekata

Banned
Got a couple in the 1000s, most are in the 400-600 range, with a few lowbies in the 200 range to replace some deaths and whatnot.

Around day 100 and I'm really souring on the game.

Police officers are just stat cards with seeming no real actual assigned personality. It makes it SEEM like they might be early on, but it seems like RNG determines if they want a day off to go do something silly or serious, and saying No doesn't seem to have any consequences. This would have been a way to give the game some personality. Give them some unique traits like they will only work solo, or maybe some old timer that won't partner up with women cops, that sort of thing. Finding out these things would also make the "Snitch" thing feel more useful.

The things that the game makes seem like are important things you have to do are quickly resolved by other mini-events, and so hardly feel like hard choices once you realize that

There are so many slow gaps with nothing to do. A lot of the "affairs" stuff seems useless besides the Police Academy and the picnic to restore energy, but I've rarely needed to have anyone work double shifts to get them low in the first place.

Maybe the last act will bite me in the ass and these things WILL have consequences I'm just not seeing yet, but right now the game just feels slow and incredibly easy. And also weirdly balanced. Like why is the mafia offering me 800 dollars to not respond to a call this far in? I've got like 300 grand at this point.

I'm only on day 60, but your views are close to mine. This is just turning into tedium and time wasting with the animations and other things. I am interested in where the story goes and about some of the other mechanics I've not yet seen (I've had no need for snitches, so I don't know what they do, and I still don't know why "political views" is important for my cops). However, I just can't imagine doing the same things over and over and over again for another, what, 10 hours (at least; this game feels way too long). Oh, and for the story centering around the chief wanting to get half a million dollars, money really isn't an issue in this game.

All that, and I'm kind of tired of the constant "feminist" and "the blacks" as the bad guys. I can maybe see what is being attempted, but it is not being done well at all.

Oh well. Maybe I'll just see if someone puts up the cutscenes on youtube or something.

Corpekata

Banned
Snitches, at least early on, allow you to see how the police station feels about you in the little reputation meter (that can be easily missed that you see toward the bottom right on the newspaper screen). Without a snitch it just shows up as a ?

I'm not really sure how I decrease that in the first place though. I don't think it's ever been below full for the police station. Will dip with city hall and the mafia when I refuse to do stuff but quickly goes back up.

*stares at screenshot*

4 cops and a SWAT Team for 50 feminist protesters in a park?

The fuck they doing, setting fire to the place?

But srsly, this is actually a pretty damn good game to start. it gets friggin grindy after a while tho.

I just saw this on the playstation store and the trailer really intrigued me. Reviews seemed pretty all over the place. So wondering what people who have played it here think.

Corpekata

Banned
I just saw this on the playstation store and the trailer really intrigued me. Reviews seemed pretty all over the place. So wondering what people who have played it here think.

It starts off okay.

However it's one of the primary examples of a game that goes on too long, and the "management" aspect of it is way too simple and doesn't get enough variety or new aspects very often. The game pretends like characters have personalities, but really if an employee doesn't show up or comes to work drunk are totallly random.

By the end I was pretty disappointed.

It starts off okay.

However it's one of the primary examples of a game that goes on too long, and the "management" aspect of it is way too simple and doesn't get enough variety or new aspects very often. The game pretends like characters have personalities, but really if an employee doesn't show up or comes to work drunk are totallly random.

By the end I was pretty disappointed.

That's a shame! Sounds like a really cool idea that could have been great, but falls quite short.

This is one of the most confusing games I've seen this year, what exact kind of game is this? I've seen a couple of reviews, watched a couple of videos, but it seems like a genre mix of strategy, CYOA, visual novel and city building... like... what are this game's limits? How far does the strategy go with sending officers out? How linear is the narrative of the story? Are there side quests?

Switch date release:
Very, very soon. We ourselves can't wait already.

How was the experience porting the game to the Switch? Is it easier than porting to the PS4 or Xbox One? Was anything particularly hard to do?

Porting to Switch was more challenging because of the hardware restrictions but the toolset, documentation and review process made up for it. We had to do a lot of optimizations to make the game run smoothly on Switch, but red tape for publishing on PS4 and XB1 and other issues took a lot of time and energy from us. I would say the experience was: Switch > PS4 >> XB1.

Haha, thanks for the answers! Also forgot 1 more question: Physical copies for Switch version is confirmed too, correct?

Yes, you already can preorder it on Amazon.de :)

https://www.reddit.com/r/nintendo/comments/72sf9m/we_are_weappy_creators_of_this_is_the_police_ask/

Switch version preorder:
https://www.amazon.de/dp/B075V8125C/

English, french, deutsch, italian, spanish.

Top Bottom