• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This just hit me. My mom is the worst possible media consumption console

Status
Not open for further replies.

RulkezX

Cam you put the gamepad in sleep mode when your watching Netflix yet or does it still have to stay on killing the awful battery?

Berg

Its definitely the best console for browser video streaming.
Edit: are mods the only people who can change a title? Fucked up.

jholmes

I believe it is a simple joke using the opposite end of the hyperbole spectrum as did the equally objectively wrong OP.

I don't think it's objectively wrong -- I don't agree with it because there are a lot of fundamental things the Wii U can and should do better -- but I can see where the OP says it's perfect, at least for him: it does a bunch of things rather well and handles them intuitively, and if you're a single guy using Netflix and you would use, say, YouTube a lot and don't own DVDs or Blu-rays, and don't want to stream sports or use HBO Go, and you already had a Wii U in your house and didn't want to buy a Chromecast and tablet or whatever, that's pretty well perfect, I suppose.

Also, if a mod makes a shit joke I'm not going to pretend it's funny just because a mod made it. If the idea was to mock every thread that used hyperbole in its title, absolutely nothing of substance would get discussed here.

Vire

Yes

I used the wrong choice of words. Its even in the OP that I was talking about streaming.

But even, then it's not very good.

The Netflix app is laggy and unresponsive... and it doesn't have DLNA support nor HBO Go support.

JamesAR15

When I first got my Wii U we took it on vacation with us for the kids to use in the hotel room. I was shocked that I couldn't even play a DVD on it.

Peltz

Mods are kind of pushing it with that threat title change. "Worst"?

You guys do know that playing Wii/Wii U games is a form of media consumption right?

Why can't you just let it die its quiet death? Why must all these straws be grasped at to justify this paperweight you bought? Why the outrage over cancelled games? Just let it go. Wait for the NX. I'm sure it'll be better.

You're trying too hard.

To the OP, it's not a good media player, but I do think it's about the best "remote" out there. I love being able to switch hdmi inputs on the controller and have a keyboard. Plays HTML5 video well too. It's only console you can effectively browse Giant Bomb on.

ElRenoRaven

Yea Media will never be the WII U much less Nintendo's strong suit. You can't even change profiles in Netflix for Christ's sake. You'd think that this would have been fixed by now but nope. Netflix and Nintendo don't seem to give a shit.

johnsmith

remember me
The wii u browser is better than the PS4 browser for watching web videos at least since you can set it to be detected as an iPhone, letting you see the nonflash version of the video. PS4 just tells you you must have flash installed with no way to watch it.

I love the web browser (the best on consoles), And the streaming services do their Job, only need to add a good media player that support MKV files.

Big Nikus

I agree with OP.
I use Netflix on my Wii U everyday, Youtube is better on my Wii U than on my (crappy) PC, and watching the Treehouse Live on TV while browsing GAF on the Gamepad is great. I watch the E3 confs on my Wii U since last year and it's really good.

Silvard

Seeing the progression of thread and the increasingly contrived category in which the Wii U is the "best" media* consumption console** is hilarious.

*streaming only, limited to a handful of native apps and the Web browser

** games console only, disregarding devices that are 1/10th of the price of a Wii U that are more media capable, and completely ignoring local and physical media playback and much wider app support of other game consoles.

Garou

Wtf at the title change? Shouldn't that happen when someone is objectively wrong? Not just because the mod disagrees with it?
On top of that not a single post by a mod in the thread. Way to go :-/

igor

Yup.

I binge watched the entire House of Cards in front of my TV with Wii U. It was amazing. And then I would go play bayonetta 2. The browser sucks ass though.

bomblord1

Banned
Seeing the progression of thread and the increasingly contrived category in which the Wii U is the "best" media* consumption console** is hilarious.

** games console only, disregarding devices that are 1/10th of the price of a Wii U that are more media capable, and completely ignoring local and physical media playback and much wider app support of other game consoles.

Both were in the OP one was more implied though.

Wtf at the title change? Shouldn't that happen when someone is objectively wrong? Not just because the mod disagrees with it?
It is objectively wrong though, on every level.

The Wii U is a lot of things, but the best media center console it is not. It lacks too many required features to meet that label.

Yes

I used the wrong choice of words. Its even in the OP that I was talking about streaming.
If it's so good as a streaming console, where's the DLNA? Where are all the media apps? Does the Wii U have HBO Go? How about all the sports apps I can run on my PS4? Where's MLB? NBA? WWE? NHL? NFL?

Let's see how narrowly we can define "perfect!"

bomblord1

Banned
If it's so good as a streaming console, where's the DLNA? Where are all the media apps? Does the Wii U have HBO Go? How about all the sports apps I can run on my PS4? Where's MLB?

No, it doesn't have HBO GO but as I said in the OP you can get most big shows. What is DLNA?

jholmes

I'm not really sure what you want here, some mod decided the world should think the Wii U is the worst thing ever designed in terms of watching video and so the conversation went from taking down the hyperbole of it being the best to it taking down the hyperbole of it being the worst.

Blame the hilarious mod.

EDIT: Also next time someone comes out and says the administration of NeoGAF isn't pathologically anti-Nintendo I'll remember this thread, not sure what the fuck was supposed to be accomplished here.

All the people aging its terrible are being really hyperbolic, and the title change is just straight up immature. Probably the worst title change I've seen this year. Yeah it lacks some basic features like disc playback, but it still is pretty good in other ways. Especially internet. The off TV seamless switching is really handy, and the way you can play videos on the TV while browsing the internet on the game pad is pretty cool for events like E3. Its also handy if you want to watch youtube videos while browsing the internet at the same time. Also just using the game pad as a remote is handy.

Garou

It is objectively wrong though, on every level.

The Wii U is a lot of things, but the best media center console it is not. It lacks too many required features to meet that label.

It's debatable on terms of what the user needs/wants. Stuff like TV-remote and Off-TV play are simply not done the same way or at all on the other ones. That's why mods shouldn't be pushing agendas through title-changes, but rather participate in the discussion.

Acerac

Banned
I enjoy my Wii U for media consumption.

*Shrugs*

The remote feature is more handy than I'd expect. If I weren't a cable cutter it prolly wouldn't be as nice as it is.

Converse

Banned
Can't take a joke?

I don't intend to call you out specifically, but I think what's irksome about it is that it comes across as fanboyish and encourages console warring. I mean, it's already led to a lot of "haha, Wii U" drive-by responses.

In my opinion, the title change is directly counterproductive to accommodating either "a neutral ground" or "civil, inclusive discourse."

FLAguy954

I think you mean lmao because OP is objectively wrong.

bomblord1

Banned
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom