• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This new Boeing 787 Dreamliner Economy Class is pretty rad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amir0x

Banned
Everyone knows economy sucks ass in planes, so I was pretty surprised to read this article about the focus Virgin was putting on Economy Class for their new Dreamliner.

economy01ojuai.jpg
economy04j9u8g.jpg

economy02tcu0s.jpg
economy03xnusu.jpg

1. There’s more space.

The Dreamliner was built with more space in mind. Everything looks and feels bigger. The cabin height is several feet higher than it is on other planes, due to an impressive vaulted ceiling. The aisles are wider. The overhead bins are larger, but placed higher up to avoid those awkward head-banging incidents that anyone over 5’ 5” will have certainly experienced. The seats are designed to be thinner, meaning they take up less room, providing several inches more leg room. Plus, the seats pitch back further for a much more comfortable experience. Even the toilets feel bigger. I swear, there’s enough room to swing a cat in there, which is a serious rarity in the usually-coffin-like airplane bathrooms. Virgin has managed to provide passengers with an innovative Economy cabin that feels spacious and airy, resulting in a much more comfortable journey.

2. There’s great wireless.

People are very attached to their mobile technology, and Virgin has taken note. The plane is fully wired for wireless services that even work when you are flying over the middle of the Atlantic. For around $20, you can stay connected to the outside world for the duration of the flight, meaning you can update your Facebook status and check your email from 38,000 feet.

To coincide with the Dreamliner launch, Virgin even announced the #SkyhighSelfie, offering passengers the opportunity to update their Facebooks from the air, free of charge.

3. There’s mood lighting. Yes, mood lighting.

The new Dreamliner has been outfitted with a revolutionary new ambient mood lighting system throughout the main cabin, designed to help passengers adjust to the changing timezones—and that’s because it changes color throughout the flight. The light begins at a soft “rose champagne” color as people board, to help them de-stress and relax. It then changes into “purple haze” to make people feel comfortable and cozy, before transitioning to “amber warmth,” which is designed to feel like candlelight for when people are dining. Lastly, it morphs into “silver moonlight” to help people fall asleep.

There is then an eight-minute “sunrise” sequence, too, designed to gradually wake people up in the new time zone. Not only does it work, but it looks beautiful and completely changes the aesthetic inside the cabin.

More at this link

It's pretty crazy for an economy class I thought. I've certainly never experienced anything like that in economy.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Have just flown on one of these over to jfk, was a great plane with nice layout , legroom in economy class.

Really impressed with the plane

Norwegian airlines and was cheaper than most airlines

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.
My favorite feature is the new lightshow that sparks when the onboard batteries spontaneously combust.

Speaking as someone who's been on some pretty basic planes, I don't care what it's like as long as it's safe and gets me from A to B with relative comfort.

Übermatik;158168851 said:
Speaking as someone who's been on some pretty basic planes, I don't care what it's like as long as it's safe and gets me from A to B with relative comfort.

Yeah. I'd rather fly on a literal giant piece of feces if it was the safer choice, not kidding.

Amir0x

Banned
Übermatik;158168851 said:

It's seems at least in terms of economy class, "comfort" will now all be relative to the Dreamliner 787 standard ;P

As far as safety, there's no reason this plane wouldn't be safe. And from the article, it's much quieter inside the cabin too and the plane is way more fuel efficient.

terrisus

Why is it so colorful? >.>

EDIT: Ah, I see it's mentioned.
That's annoying. Just give me plain ordinary light.

terrisus

Changing mood lighting based on time of day or event (different color for boarding, for dinner time, for sunrise, sunset, etc). Calming effect on passengers.

Yeah, I saw it mentioned at the end and edited.
I would honestly avoid taking a plane like that >.>

jediyoshi

Way easier on the eyes. Like using flux on your computer at night. Public transport in my area uses mood lighting as well, smartest thing they've done in a while.

terrisus

Way easier on the eyes. Like using flux on your computer at night. Public transport in my area uses mood lighting as well, smartest thing they've done in a while.

Yeah, I hate stuff like that >.>

My eyes have enough problems as it is due to my stroke.
Not having any of that "playing with the lighting" nonsense.

It's seems at least in terms of economy class, "comfort" will now all be relative to the Dreamliner 787 standard ;P

As far as safety, there's no reason this plane wouldn't be safe. And from the article, it's much quieter inside the cabin too and the plane is way more fuel efficient.

Oh sure, I wasn't saying it wouldn't be safe, just that's pretty much my only requirement, so I'd certainly settle for less.

jediyoshi

Yeah, I hate stuff like that >.>

My eyes have enough problems as it is due to my stroke.
Not having any of that "playing with the lighting" nonsense.

Your eyes respond better to harsher lighting conditions though? The crux is that colder lighting temperatures, especially at night, are a shitty experience, less to do with them being dynamic.

terrisus

Your eyes respond better to harsher lighting conditions though? The crux is that colder lighting temperatures, especially at night, are a shitty experience, less to do with them being dynamic.

My eyes respond best to standard non-dimmed light - and a good amount of it.

Darker, dimmed, or off-color lighting doesn't work well at all for my eyes.
And, frankly, it was similar even before my stroke.

From the looks of it, I would have eye strain the entire flight.

I've been flying Virgin for a job I'm currently on, and I gotta say I've been pleasantly surprised even by their current standards of "economy"

blanky

I'm a little skeptical of the 787 after that Al jazeera documentary that highlighted some really shady stuff at one of the assembly factories and other similar shitty engineering practice.

Magni

Have just flown on one of these over to jfk, was a great plane with nice layout , legroom in economy class.

Really impressed with the plane

Norwegian airlines and was cheaper than most airlines

I flew on a (then) brand new 737-800 on Norwegian four years ago and was super impressed with both the plane and the airline (was my first flight with the new interior). Didn't hurt that there were only eight of us and the flight itself was beautiful (Tromsø to Trondheim via Bodø) :p

Lexxism

I wonder if 787 Dreamliner have this kind of legroom that I had with Korean Air 777-200R from Korea to Toronto? I was pleasantly surprised because I don't remember having this kind of space with A330.

It's not annoying actually. A380 has it and it's actually pretty pleasing to the eye.

Edit: FREE FACEBOOK UPDATE, and yet they can't use the same wifi to provide accurate and detailed flight plan and aircraft detail to ground control? Lol. I don't get the industry sometimes.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
The bar looks like it's for first class passengers and not economy:

c10ec8e1ee66e2fc16380ad65048680d81419533.jpg

Anyways, I flew on Air Canada's 787, it was really nice.

Seats are not as wide, which makes it even tougher for larger passengers. My Dad who is a pretty fit guy complained about how narrow seat space was already on planes.

Right, so crashed planes will be located/information on what caused the crash using people's facebook posts, rather than say, a GPS signal to air traffic control.

Right, so crashed planes will be located/information on what caused the crash using people's facebook posts, rather than say, a GPS signal to air traffic control.

Terrible joke.

I had a chance to fly a dreamliner last year with Japan Airlines but passed as I heard it was quite cramped. I would like to fly on one in the next year or so hopefully.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom