• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This Sony handheld device patent looks familiar

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Hideaki Nishino talked about having the idea for this before the Steamdeck and other handhelds came out, but it also goes to show you how long it takes Sony to execute on ideas.

This was probably originally intended for the PS4, but my guess is it was too close to the launch of the PS5, but then the pandemic happened and they shelved the idea to focus on creating as many PS5s as they could.

Ah....I see. You're probably right. I'm actually glad it got pushed back to the PS5 then. What would have the PS4 Portal been like? A 720p screen with no haptics?

Ah....I see. You're probably right. I'm actually glad it got pushed back to the PS5 then. What would have the PS4 Portal been like? A 720p screen with no haptics?

Not sure that would have been very different. Would have had the standard rumble and there would probably still have been a PS5 Portal released anyways.

In fact, if the PS4 Portal had been successful, we might have already got an actually offline handheld.

Crazy to think Sony was creating the PS Portal back in 2015 LOL!!! That's nuts. Good foresight by them though. And great memory by you that this thread existed. The PS Portal is literally this patent.
Ngl I saw it on a reddit post. In the IGN article, they referenced this post and I was like damn no way

Top Bottom