• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This week on Why Keanu Reeves is Fucking Awesome..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ultima_5

That looks awesome. Can't wait to see it implemented in more movies

Also, I think Keanu would work as Spike...

Also, Speed was great.

Also, where the hell is Bill&Ted 3

colt45joe

Banned
He actually does I believe. They were all trained in martial arts for the Matrix and I believe he kept with it. I might be wrong.

i thought i remember him saying something along the lines of "fake kung fu" .. like, he doesnt really know kung fu, but he knows some moves that he rehearsed just for scenes/training.

That rig was incredible. I really enjoyed watching that small snippet. Hopefully the tech becomes more widespread because it just moves around SO incredibly smooth and some movies could definitely benefit from it.

And yes, I'd be interested in a movie by Keanu. I wonder what sort of ideas that man has floating around in his head.

That rig was incredible. I really enjoyed watching that small snippet. Hopefully the tech becomes more widespread because it just moves around SO incredibly smooth and some movies could definitely benefit from it.

And yes, I'd be interested in a movie by Keanu. I wonder what sort of ideas that man has floating around in his hair.

fixed

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
I'd give him money just to make quick-cuts and ultra zoom GTFO out action movies.

Totally ruins things like Batman... and, well, yea, most action flicks. When's the last time we got one shot still takes? At least this fight looked organic, distant, and consistent. yah.

Esch

Banned
Does anyone know the Kung Fu style used in that clip? I don't recognize it at all.

The guy in the chinese attire is using choreographed taijiquan/ tai chi. The bald dude, i dont know. It looks like some kind of shaolinquan, but i cant be arsed to spend more time looking at it.

Plus its all choreographed anyway.

Tokubetsu

I'd give him money just to make quick-cuts and ultra zoom GTFO out action movies.

Totally ruins things like Batman... and, well, yea, most action flicks. When's the last time we got one shot still takes? At least this fight looked organic, distant, and consistent. yah.

Yea, this is why everyone is hoping this tech takes off/he puts it to good use to show it off in "Man of Tai Chi." His heart seems to be in the right place. I believe in Keanu~

Ruze789

Keanu is the man! I had no idea he was helming a movie but I'm very interested. I've liked him since I first saw Bill and Ted.

Ultima_5

We don't get them because they take an incredible amount of talent.. I can't see the majority of hollywood celebrities being able to pull of a full fight scene without tons of cuts.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
We don't get them because they take an incredible amount of talent.. I can't see the majority of hollywood celebrities being able to pull of a full fight scene without tons of cuts.

thank you. that was great. I loved how when he jumped on the first floor the camera did not zoom, but stayed on the ground till he kicked the man down, and then went up the stairs and you missed a few quick fights... THATS what I'm talking about, it feels so much more real when there's action going on constantly and the camera acts as your 'eye', trying to follow it constantly but not always catching everything, not always cutting and missing, but staring, straight, wide-eyed, grasping to understand but hovering outside a bottle field and not trying to 'produce' one

Ultima_5

thank you. that was great. I loved how when he jumped on the first floor the camera did not zoom, but stayed on the ground till he kicked the man down, and then went up the stairs and you missed a few quick fights... THATS what I'm talking about, it feels so much more real when there's action going on constantly and the camera acts as your 'eye', trying to follow it constantly but not always catching everything, not always cutting and missing, but staring, straight, wide-eyed, grasping to understand but hovering outside a bottle field and not trying to 'produce' one

Youre welcome! I highly recommend The Protector to anyone. Easily one of my favorite movies. Ong Bak is also excellent and involves many of the same people. They still make great action movie scenes... just not so much in hollywood

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
So you're showing a video that is probably 14 years old to show how awesome Keanu is this week?

Considering how he's aging, this actually makes sense.

Wiktor

Youre welcome! I highly recommend The Protector to anyone. Easily one of my favorite movies. Ong Bak is also excellent and involves many of the same people. They still make great action movie scenes... just not so much in hollywood

Westerners can still make excellent martial arts movies, just look at Undisputed 3, but it seems they can pull it off only in low budget movies.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
keanu-list.jpg

SRG01

The guy in the chinese attire is using choreographed taijiquan/ tai chi. The bald dude, i dont know. It looks like some kind of shaolinquan, but i cant be arsed to spend more time looking at it.

Plus its all choreographed anyway.

That's Tai Chi? Which style? I was trained in Tai Chi too, but what I do is totally different.

edit: Oh wait, I see it now! I had to slow the video down to see it :)

Esch

Banned
That's Tai Chi? Which style? I was trained in Tai Chi too, but what I do is totally different.
I don't know. Given the lack of fajin in the expression and just on sheer probability i would make a guess and say Yang.

Jimothy

Keanu sounds like the best guy in the world. That story about him buying the entire stunt team on The Matrix motorcycles was awesome.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
I saw another robot arm controlled camera for a HD slow-mo production company. Is this really a relatively new thing? Why'd it take someone so long to come up with that?

sphinx

the piano man
it's at times like this that I hate it when people question whether GAF has a mancrush on keanu reeves or not. It's so damn clear.

keanu is the coolest guy ever and deserves GAF'S love and bromance as much as Bale/Fassbender.

Ryaaan14

Banned
I love Keanu, but what does this have to do with him?

Just looks like him giving a basic explanation of why he decided to use some camera tech.

Munin

In the restaurant that's downstairs where I live in HK there's a big picture with Keanu and the owners...he must have been to HK quite a few times now.

noah111

Still Alive
Love this guy, but that video was pretty amazing too. Robotics/automation where it counts, makes sense and looks so fluid as well.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
I'm really for this. Follow the flow of energy; dance with the motion and angles according to the movements. I would go ape-shit with a setup like that and would probably take a loooooong ass time for a 3-5 minute fight scene.

Mad respect and admiration for Keanu.

I like The Raid more than the Tony Jaa or other asian martial arts movies where you can tell it's a dance and enemies are cannon fodder.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom