• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This week's (Oct 3rd) Famitsu news (Etrian Odyssey 2!)

CTLance

Thanks for reminding me of something. I wanted to buy EO for quite some time now. I just did.

Let's hope it's not another Planet Puzzle League style of disappointment for me.
Meteos is way way WAY better! =P

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Al-Cid in FFTA2?

Does the game take place in Rozarria?
Al-Cid, and ya know, that entire other Empire that was involved in FF12, were totally underutilized so it be good to learn a bit more about him

John Harker said:
Al-Cid in FFTA2?

Does the game take place in Rozarria?
Al-Cid, and ya know, that entire other Empire that was involved in FF12, were totally underutilized so it be good to learn a bit more about him

We've known Vaan and Penelo were in for a while.

Let's hope it's not another Planet Puzzle League style of disappointment for me.

Don't worry, it won't be.

If you express the slightest bit of regret at your purchase, I will hunt you down. And I will cut you.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Pureauthor said:
We've known Vaan and Penelo were in for a while.

Don't worry, it won't be.

If you express the slightest bit of regret at your purchase, I will hunt you down. And I will cut you.

Yea, but not Al-Cid.
Vaan and Penelo have nothing to do with Rozarria.

CTLance

Pureauthor said:
:lol
Don't worry. I love Dungeoncrawlers. I even like Alien Syndrome for the Wii, even though the devs clearly tried to make the experience as grating and unlikeable as possible. I doubt I'll get off my DS for long enough to cry on neogaf.
10-14 days to go. If I'm unlucky it'll get caught in the customs again and delayed further. :( Customs haet CTLance.

If the unthinkable happens, give me a call when you arrive in Munich. I'd wager we could go sightseeing and hang out in a Biergarten before the cutting commences. ;)

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
What is that PSP game Jonny posted the scan of? That game looks awesome... Also Etrian 2 sounds great, but some of the graphics in the pictures look REALLY messy and it makes it really hard to tell what's going on. Still gotta finish the first Etrian tho.

Philthy

EO was one of the bigger let downs of the year for me. On the surface the game looked and played great, and was pretty tough overall. But the lack of any sort of real story, puzzles and such just made it feel like nothing more than a constant grind. I love these types of games, but they should look back on the old Xeen games and pull out some tricks that made those games so great and I think they could make the next one a fantastic game.

jarrod

Banned
Etrian 2 is hott! Why didn't Atlus show it at TGS... did they show/announce anything there actually? What happened to SMT DS/PS3/Wii?

mollipen

I missed out on Yggdra, and after being not too impressed with how Riviera is looking on the PSP, I wasn't expecting much from PSP Yggdra. But from those two pages... the game looks quite nice in its new form. If it hits the States, I may have to finally pick it up.

Fadedsun

Fio Maravilha said:
I expect EO2 to be more balanced than EO1. I gave up on it because it required too much grinding.

Not really. Each stratum you should gain about 7-10 levels going through it normally. And that's enough to beat the bosses of each stratum. There's only grinding involved if you want to keep switching your party around.

ethelred

Fadedsun said:
Not really. Each stratum you should gain about 7-10 levels going through it normally. And that's enough to beat the bosses of each stratum. There's only grinding involved if you want to keep switching your party around.

Yeah, I really never had an issue with grinding in Etrian Odyssey. I found that exploring the map fully and doing a handful of strata quests was usually enough to get me to the point where I could progress to the next area without going out and specifically grinding (which I've always defined as fighting numerous battles just for the sake of getting exp to level up).

sphinx

the piano man
Fadedsun said:

I think I know what he meant.

The game is hard and you'll surely die more than a couple of times if you play with the normal flow of the game, without grinding.

Grinding is necessary if you want to comfortably walk through each floor without fear of dying by encountering a FOE or something.

May16

Yuusha no kuse ni Namaiki da:
I have only had a minute to look at the scans, but what I can say is:
-Dungeon crawler RPG for PSP (which you could probably tell anyway)
-3 gameplay modes: story, dungeon, and training.
Can't be of more help right now though.

49167byGAF.JPG

49166byGAF.JPG

p.s. i steal the scan from gaforum.org

Takuhi

May16 said:
Yuusha no kuse ni Namaiki da:
I have only had a minute to look at the scans, but what I can say is:
-Dungeon crawler RPG for PSP (which you could probably tell anyway)
-3 gameplay modes: story, dungeon, and training.
Can't be of more help right now though.

It's actually not a dungeon crawler at all—it's a sim in which you play the villain, who digs dungeons and raises monsters in order to kill invading parties of heroes. There's also some funky multiplayer when you can make hero parties to send into your friends' dungeons.

Yggdra union for GBA was good but it did have some of those annoying parts that means me put it down for awhile. And, after beating it almost twice on the GBA, I think I'm going to buy this, like the whore I am. Also, Etrian 2 will have my money as well.

On second thought, I have too many games on my wish list right now and these two are just breaking my back.

Teasel

Takuhi said:
It's actually not a dungeon crawler at all—it's a sim in which you play the villain, who digs dungeons and raises monsters in order to kill invading parties of heroes. There's also some funky multiplayer when you can make hero parties to send into your friends' dungeons.
so basicaly this is a japanese dungeon keeper with 8-bit graphics?
THAT SOUNDS FRIGGIN AWESOME! I'M FUCKING SOLD!

Sage00

Once And Future Member
jj984jj said:
2ch -> GAF -> Internet -> GAF

Heck, all you had to do was go back a few pages, duckroll translated it in here.
Oh damn, you're right. I always laugh when this happens too. :lol

Apologies! :D

ethelred

Sage00 said:
While there's some Atlus talk going on in here, was this posted anywhere, and is it an accurate translation? (Total crap? :lol )

http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/36/atlusde9.jpg

From http://www.atlus.co.jp/ir/zaimu/pdf/22kessan.pdf

DS and Wii projects in trouble?

Correct. There's a DS and a Wii non-RPG that Atlus is unsure about. There's also one RPG (platform unspecified) that is leaning towards the same category, and another RPG (again, no platform) that is considered more stable.

It isn't some sort of "oh no, Nintendo games bombing" thing across the board. At the same time, Atlus considers the Trauma Center franchise a cash cow and considers EO one of its top potential growth series in need of future investment.

I'm more interested in the RPG stuff from Atlus anyway, so it isn't a big deal for me whatever happens. I want to find out about the two unannounced RPGs.

Fady K

Hcoregamer00 said:
Do we have a USA release for Star Ocean 1 remake?

:D

Not yet man, but I would expect an announcement after SO is released in Japan first. Im guessing Feb/March '08 for US release.

Barakov

Fady K said:
Not yet man, but I would expect an announcement after SO is released in Japan first. Im guessing Feb/March '08 for US release.

Maybe even later because I'm sure they want to get Crisis Core out in the US before SO1.

jsrv

Takuhi said:
Etrian Odyssey 30K

Not boding too well for EO 2.

I don't know what their target number was or their expected sales, but it would be really depressing if it didn't get a US release due to poor sales. :(

How much did the Japanese release sell? 200,000 or something?

duckroll said:
- New classes: Doctor Magus, Gunner and Pet. The Magus is sounds like a combat mage, which has healing properties as well as offense boosts from studying the body. The Gunner can use various elemental bullets. The Pet class is an animal class.
- Existing jobs will have brain new artwork.
- Battles will be much more visually exciting.
- FOEs will have new rules and new types.
- The director is Komori (the writer of EO1, Devil Summoner PS2 and Princess Crown), and she says they decided to make a sequel when they looked into the template and realized they could improve the balance of the calculations and skills, as well as brushing up the existing formula.
- There are two settings this time: the Sekaiju as well as the flying castle.
- You can create a total of 30 charcters this time.
- They have added a quicksave function for saving in the middle of dungeons. (YAY)
- For map creation, there are now 3 different colors you can use.
- There are also more icons and arrows to use.
- When buying equipment now, the character status is displayed so you can see how effective they are before buying. (YAY!)
- Game is 70% complete, release date will be announced soon.
- The character design, monster design and sound are handled by the same staff as the first game. (KOSHIRO COME TO ME!!!!!!!!!)
Sold

CTLance said:
Thanks for reminding me of something. I wanted to buy EO for quite some time now. I just did.

You sound crazy enough so you might like it. :p

How DARE you diss Planet Puzzle League!

Evlar

Banned
jsrv said:
I don't know what their target number was or their expected sales, but it would be really depressing if it didn't get a US release due to poor sales. :(

How much did the Japanese release sell? 200,000 or something?
It's Atlus. They're always surprised and a little irritated when they get ANY sales in the US.

Ooh those DS adventure games look really neat. Shame they may never see a release in the US. =/

Always up for new DW6 scans:
Xiahou Dun looks awesome. I'm also glad he's been given a new weapon(hell it looks like most of the cast is sporting a new weapon and a new look, it's great)

Zhou Yu looks as expected. Definitely uh..prettier. Hopefully the story mode adds a bit more to his rivalry with Zhuge Liang(Poor Zhou Yu...). I see Koei also ditched his dao(sword) for a staff(which I'm going to assume is a Rú Yì Bàng or Nyoi-bō, an iron staff that can expand and retract in length, y'know like the staff Goku uses in Dragon Ball).

Zhang Fei also looks great but holy hell look at the size of his spear in the screenshot! It reminds me of Keiji Maeda's sword from the Basara games.

Top Bottom