• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This week's (Oct 3rd) Famitsu news (Etrian Odyssey 2!)

Dascu

John Harker said:
No one's translated the Mikami and/or Suda interviews yet? :(

The first page has already been translated over at Gamefaqs. I'll bold the interesting parts.
Dans my name said:
- So how did you two meet?

M: I introduced him to the director of Tekki ( I don't know what game this is), Kouno Hifumi. "We need good creators, I'd want to be introduced to some" he said. And Suda came to Osaka. This was before Killer7.

-So before that, what kind of impression did Mikami have on you? (to Suda)

S: Mikami and Kojima (Hideo) were like above the clouds to me. I was so nervous when I met him.

M: More like weren't you disillusioned? ;) (i'll add these smiles because they're actually in the article)

S: Well, more than disillusioned, Mikami, your eyes were so big and bright, I was surprised.

M: That was it. ;) I was making Horror games, so you probably thought I was the kind of quiet and creepy type. But when we talked you even said "You really make them?"

- Haha. So when Suda came, what was your first impression of him?

M: I thought he was absolutely a businessman. That he could be careful and strict, like what a professional. That was the beginning of my mistakes. ;)

- Haha

S: I don't think thats a mistake

M: Yeah, I you're a good guy, but when it comes to making something, I cant just pass it all to you.

S: Yea, and unexpectedly you didn't, right? ;)

- So what have you been up to recently?

M: Well I havent begun development yet and am very free. I'm just in a state where I can't start moving.
When you draw out a plan for too long, it just gets messed up. Its been one year that Ive been open after Godhand and mentally, its gotten really hard. I need to move fast.

S: Its really restraining for a director to go a year without making something. For people who live just to create, its very hard.

M: Not like as much as an athlete, but when a baseball player is injured and away for a year, returning is tough. My senses have dulled, and there is a subtle change in my craft. I've become Urashima Taro. Thats no good.

-Mentally? Or your craft?

M: Its both. And I'm physically exhausted. Because its really tough being at the development studio. But latter it will slowly come back to me. It like I'm running a marathon and I have to wait for a traffic light.

- But when you made RE4, you just kept on running, rright?

M: Thats right, but while doing that the whole staff combined craft, skill and know-how all together so we could make something great in a short period, so I was abole to ride that out.

- And in the end, it was a great run

S: That year RE4 just swept all the Video Game Awards throughout the whole world.

M: But individually I couldn't take all the credit.

S: Eh, really?

M: (This is too obscured by glare)

S: Well, you were the producer.

M: Yea, but if you think of it as if I cultivated it as producer, thats terrible. I didn't really get to do what I wanted to, so it became a great game. ;)

S: hahahahahhahahahah

- So Sude, do you save?

S: I always save. ...... no, thats a lie. Sorry. In Killer7, I didn't save. Since I was allowed a lot of freedom, I packed in everything I wanted to do.

M: That game a a great scenerio. This time, No More Heroes looks like it was directed ridiculously, and that make it interesting. Killer7 was really narrowly aimed, but NMH will be wide.

S: Actually, there is a lot of inspiration from Mikami there.

- Like what?

S: Well first of all the design. I learned skill, sense and know-how from Mikami, and its all hidden in NMH. What I learned from Mikami and what I learned from a textbook called "Godhand" made this.

M: Wasn't a really hard textbook, right? ;)

S: And then there's the Major feeling ( have no idea what he means here, because he uses the english "major") Killer7's scenerio, characters, design I thought was all major. But I learned all the "underground parts" from Mikami.

M: Thats the first time I've heard that. ;)

S: In my own way, I am considerably conscious of my fans. When I made Killer7, I learned from Mikami what I should to to make the game worthwhile and easy to understand to the player.

- So do you guys talk on the phone a lot? What do you talk about?

He said he'll do the second page soon.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
That's Dascu! Interesting read, I enjoy when these two get together.
They've done a lot of interviews together over the last few months....

Can't wait for page 2.

Dascu

John Harker said:
That's Dascu! Interesting read, I enjoy when these two get together.
They've done a lot of interviews together over the last few months....

Can't wait for page 2.

Still no info on their damn collaboration project though. And now Mikami's saying he's not working on anything? What the hell...they were almost ready to announce it officially at the Hoppers event. Arghh...

Dascu

Excuse the double post, but there's a 1up interview with Suda up at GameVideos:
http://www.gamevideos.com/video/id/15235

Some points of interest:
- The next big project is the Xbox360 game. It'll be an action game, but may have some adventure elements. It might be brought to other platforms later.
- He thinks they found a good balance between buttons and Wiimote movements for the gameplay in NMH.
- He blames the lack of 3rdParty "gamer" games on the Wii because the Wii has an image of being for non-gamers.

The adventure elements and possible multiplatform-ness of the Xbox360 game give me reason to believe that it might be Kurayami. Kurayami was supposed to be more of an action-adventure and it was originally set for the PS3. Maybe they didn't get their hands on a PS3 devkit and decided to make it for the X360 instead, while keeping the option of brining it to the PS3 open?

The other part of the Famitsu Mikami/Suda interview hasn't been translated yet, sorry.

Top Bottom