• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This year changed my perspective on Japanese games

Last time that happened was eight years ago, when I took a gamble on Demons' Souls and it completely reoriented my mindset on difficulty in games, action RPGs, and Japanese games

However I'm bit ashamed to say that since then I had been apprehensive to try JRPGs and Japanese games in general, usually because of the aesthetic or the seemingly anime/manga-inspired narratives. Which is definitely a pretty narrow perspective to have. Getting into manga last year certainly helped shift that view, but it was this year's incredible line-up so far that really cemented it

(Yes, EDF isn't a 2017 game, but I finally checked it out this year and it's amazing)

msKxedE.jpg
ADentT7.jpg

yFYNR10.jpg
Ms5j3Q0.jpg

enatWft.jpg
tC79No4.jpg

I got Yakuza lined up next, and I can't wait to play it after EDF surprised me so much. In some ways, these games touch upon some of the same aspects that make indie games appeal to me so much: the diverse vibrant aesthetics and unique styles, the interesting narratives, the exploration of interesting gameplay mechanics and gameplay depth, the sheer variety.

From the joy of controlled falling in Gravity Rush to the super smooth combat and compelling story of Nier, the character action-esque nature of Nioh's Soulslike design to the colorful style and mundane day-to-day life side of Persona, these games are so unique and offer such rewarding gameplay without sacrificing narrative nuance. (Or in EDF's case, compensating lack of graphical fidelity with utter gameplay insanity)

Any of other major releases to look forward to this year? I don't follow AAA games or Japanese games closely

Yakuza Kiwami, Ys VIII, and Ni No Kuni 2 are a few upcoming releases this year you could get into

Big fan of japanese games myself, glad you're enjoying!

There's also 13 Sentinles but I'm not sure if it's coming this year or not? Will need to check. Dragon Quest XI is out next month in japan but west will probably have to wait until next year

Tohsaka

Ys VIII, Tokyo Xanadu, Dragon Quest XI (import), Sen no Kiseki 3 (import), Blue Reflection, Ni no Kuni 2, Yakuza Kiwami, Danganronpa 3, Mary Skelter, The Evil Within 2, Senran Kagura Peach Beach Splash, Musou Stars etc. are just some of the Japanese games I'm looking forward to for the rest of the year.

Lichter

Yakuza 0 hit me in January so Yakuza Kiwami is one of my most wanted (japanese) games. And I've enjoyed NieR Automata (also my first game in the NieR series) and Persona 5 (first Persona that I'm going deep into).

TissueBox

It's a wonderful world. In some way, distinctly Japanese games share more of the same spirit of the experimenting, self-aware indie scene than the west. Very rich, gameplay-oriented, characteristic sensibility.

Azoor

Persona 5 and Nier: Automata are my contenders for GOTY, not sure if any game could top them.

I still need to play Gravity Rush 2.

andymcc

Banned
japanese games are always, and will always be, my favorite but even i admit that the strength and frequency of Japanese titles are back to almost PS2-era.

ShinMaruku

What has always guided me to Japanese games is how it's a systems first then everything else after set up. While some of the old Japanese tropes are played out, I always go to them for the game play they put on display.

bede-x

(Yes, EDF isn't a 2017 game, but I finally checked it out this year and it's amazing)

Considering how little it sells, it really cannot be said enough. It is so good that if someone has any interest in the genre at all, they should give it a chance. It's in the Steam summer sale and have been on sale on PSN multiple times.

SephLuis

Ys VIII, Tokyo Xanadu, Dragon Quest XI (import), Sen no Kiseki 3 (import), Blue Reflection, Ni no Kuni 2, Yakuza Kiwami, Danganronpa 3, Mary Skelter, The Evil Within 2, Senran Kagura Peach Beach Splash, Musou Stars etc. are just some of the Japanese games I'm looking forward to for the rest of the year.

You can check almost everything here.

Sen no Kiseki 3 is Trails of Cold Steel 3 and you should check this series for some great storytelling in JRPGs. Start with Trails in the Sky whenever you can.

Ys is from the same producer, Falcom, and it's an amazing ARPG series that keep's reinventing itself. I hear that VIII is one of the best of the series.

Also, remember to make a LTTP on Yakuza. I always like to read newcomers impressions on it.

Thoraxes

Looking at my list for the rest of the year, i've got on my plate:

Tokyo Xanadu and Tokyo Xanadu eX+
Final Fantasy XII The Zodiac Age
Splatoon 2
Culdcept Revolt
Yakuza Kiwami
Ys VIII
Danganronpa V3: Killing Harmony
Blue Reflection
Xenoblade Chronicles 2
Zwei: The Ilvard Insurrection
Etrian Odyssey V: Beyond the Myth
Monster Hunter Stories
Super Mario Odyssey
Ni no Kuni II: Revenant Kingdom
Layton's Mystery Journey: Katrielle and the Millionaires' Conspiracy
Yo-kai Watch 2: Psychic Specters

That's a pretty decent amount of Japanese games i'm going to be purchasing this year, spread across pretty much every platform. (I'm also importing Sen no Kiseki III)

Woodchipper

Persona 5 is the first JRPG, let alone turn based game I'm playing and I absolutely love it. Shame on me, I know, but better late than never!

You guys think Ni No Kuni 2 will be enjoyable for those (like myself) who missed out on the first one?

Persona 5 is the first JRPG, let alone turn based game I'm playing and I absolutely love it. Shame on me, I know, but better late than never!

You guys think Ni No Kuni 2 will be enjoyable for those (like myself) who missed out on the first one?
First turn-based? Man, you have so many quality games to catch up on, AAA, indie, Japanese, and Western. Never played XCOM?

Start playing older Japanese games. Get the Ys games and Xanadu Next in the Summer sale, Valkyrie Profile, Chrono Trigger, Symphony of the Night and Final Fantasy Tactics.

HeatBoost

I legit thought that Nioh picture was from Witcher 3

Game's with realistic graphics gotta try harder to be distinct, dang

EhoaVash

Ni no kuni is boring slogfest after the first hour, 2 looks wore from the gameplay i seen.

anyway get a switch. jump in on breath of the wild.

I tried liking the nier automato demo but idk it did nothing for me, especially the shooting sections which i'm not a fan of =/

Tokyo Mirage Sessions was the first jrpg I finished in a long, long time. Probably since the original DS games like Final Fantasy III remake and Radiant Historia.

Tohsaka

Yeah, you don't need to play the first one since the plot isn't related.

I'm playing Yakuza 0 right now. It is one of the best ever, in terms of story and narrative. Lots of mini games and great side quests. I can't wait for Kiwami and 6.

Aters

Sorry but you've never played stuff like FFVI, Chrono Trigger, or even Pokemon? How did you survive GAF?

Avoid ni no kuni. To me it's a Dragon Quest wannabe ends up being a child game. L5 don't have the fine touch of ‎Yuji Horii.

RSchmitz

I wish I could wipe Yakuza 0 from my brain and play it again.
I think it´s my goty so far, pretty close to Horizon. Two widely different games.
From the OP I have yet to play persona 5 and nier though. I hope I´ll get to them this year still.

I'm playing Yakuza 0 right now. It is one of the best ever, in terms of story and narrative. Lots of mini games and great side quests. I can't wait for Kiwami and 6.
It'll be my entry into the series. Looking forward to it. From what I've read, the world design sounds a bit reminiscent of Hitman, smaller but dense and lively. Which I like. Most sandboxes don't go for density. I'm the kind of player who walks across an open world to people-watch and take in the sights, and the world here looks very interesting. Hopefully, it scratches the same itch as Assassin's Creed for me;, being able to explore a different unfamiliar culture and setting

Sorry but you've never played stuff like FFVI, Chrono Trigger, or even Pokemon? How did you survive GAF?
My first console was PS1, and I've never had a Nintendo console (yes, that means I haven't played Mario, Metroid, Zelda, etc. either). I am considering getting a cheap WiiU so I can play BoTW, it looks fascinating

Nioh and Persona 5 were the big ones for me.

I stopped everything till I played them to completion.

Both games are the 3rd and 4th platinum trophies I have.

It's been crazy. Played through a lot of classic Japanese games for the first time.

Played through Shenmue 1+2
Nier+Automata
Persona 5 (Hadn't played a JRPG in 10 years)
The first bunch of Yakuza games

This may have been the best year of gaming ever for me. I also have to admit that I should have been playing these franchises years ago.

Renekton

Ni no kuni is boring slogfest after the first hour, 2 looks wore from the gameplay i seen.

anyway get a switch. jump in on breath of the wild.

I tried liking the nier automato demo but idk it did nothing for me, especially the shooting sections which i'm not a fan of =/
Is BotW a JRPG?

1upsuper

I'm basically the opposite. I adore 80s WRPGs and CRPGs and most of the indie titles I play (and I play tons of them) are western, but I really don't care for a lot of western games developed since the mid 90s or so. I love Ultima and Might & Magic but I couldn't get into Baldur's Gate or The Witcher 3. Plus, one-size-fits-all AAA western titles do nothing for me.

Aters

My first console was PS1, and I've never had a Nintendo console (yes, that means I haven't played Mario, Metroid, Zelda, etc. either). I am considering getting a cheap WiiU so I can play BoTW, it looks fascinating

A cheap WiiU is a good place to start. Also gives you access to the awesome Wii library.

Zukkoyaki

Feels like a sleeping giant finally woke up in the past 8ish months.

It took long enough but it seems like Japan as a whole finally fully adjusted to HD game development and stopped trying to go all in on mobile. Also seems like a lot of them like Bandai Namco, Sega and Koei Tecmo realized that they don't have to break the bank pursuing massive AAA development. Just stick to what they do best, target the right audiences and budget/forecast accordingly. It's been working out wonderfully for the most part. Unreal Engine 4 has also helped a lot.

You can check almost everything here.

Sen no Kiseki 3 is Trails of Cold Steel 3 and you should check this series for some great storytelling in JRPGs. Start with Trails in the Sky whenever you can.

Ys is from the same producer, Falcom, and it's an amazing ARPG series that keep's reinventing itself. I hear that VIII is one of the best of the series.

Also, remember to make a LTTP on Yakuza. I always like to read newcomers impressions on it.

Yes.

DmXvCwM.jpg

And your journey can start for 50% off for a limited time!

Opa-Pa

Haha I'm the complete opposite. I don't avoid western games, but tend to be really hard to convince by them, especially AAA due to the annoying cinematic focus and lack of depth and charm.

I grew up with japanese games mostly so I'm all about them, but I can definitely see why you'd be turned off by them nowadays. So much of the market is filled by Anime Titties™.

buy a Switch

and/or a 3DS

and then buy Nintendo's first-party releases

Seriously, do this. 3DS especially unless you're not into handhelds.

Also getting a cheap Wii U is a good idea, but if your main motivation is Zelda then I'd advice you to avoid it. I completed the game on Wii U and performance is awful, we're talking about frame drops so severe that the game can literally freeze for about 5 seconds during combat.

I got a Switch a couple of days ago and I've spent this whole afternoon playing Zelda on it and I'm honestly regretting playing it on Wii U at all. The difference is night and day, and this game really being as special as everyone claims, you owe it to yourself to play it in the best way possible.

KillLaCam

Banned
Japanese games are really weird to me. I either hate them and think whatever the game is, is super cringy. Or I think they're great and amazing. There's never really any in between for me since the ps3 came out

But recently it's been mosty the amazing games.

Syril

A Wii U is also a good way to get access to some highlights on the earlier Nintendo systems if you're interested in that with its Wii compatibility and the Wii virtual console. There are also digital releases of a few of the harder to find Wii games like Metroid Prime Trilogy or Xenoblade Chronicles.

If you have ANY Windows computer at all, you have to try The House In Fata Morgana. 30% off right now, to boot!
Still on the fence with this. On one hand, I love digital gamebooks and interactive fiction, like Inkle's Sorcery, 80 Days, and Hadean Lands. (But I read that visual novels don't tend to have much choice? Not sure how accurate that is).

On the other, I'm super picky about the kind of manga and whatnot I like. Like the only mangas I've liked so far have been Bokurano, Junji Ito's work, Berserk, One Punch Man, Blame, Lone Wolf and Cub, Death Note, Nausicaa, Parasyte, Biomega, Blade of the Immortal, and The Drifting Classroom.

So the range and style of those kinds of stories I like is pretty narrow. Realistic style, dark and violent, not too "anime" (I know, I know...). with One Punch Man being the exception.

check out all of these but ni no kuni 2. thats gonna disappoint for sure imo.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Still on the fence with this. On one hand, I love digital gamebooks and interactive fiction, like Inkle's Sorcery, 80 Days, and Hadean Lands. (But I read that visual novels don't tend to have much choice? Not sure how accurate that is).

On the other, I'm super picky about the kind of manga and whatnot I like. Like the only mangas I've liked so far have been Bokurano, Junji Ito's work, Berserk, One Punch Man, Blame, Lone Wolf and Cub, Death Note, Nausicaa, Parasyte, Biomega, Blade of the Immortal, and The Drifting Classroom.

So the range and style of those kinds of stories I like is pretty narrow. Realistic style, dark and violent, not too "anime" (I know, I know...). with One Punch Man being the exception.

I mean the house in fata morgana pretty much fits in with those styles of stories.

Top Bottom