• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This year marks the Street Fighter II series' 25th anniversary

coy

I am old enough to have played Karate Champ, Yie Ar Kung Fu, and Fighting Street, but Street Fighter II was the one that became my world. I played it in convenience stores, laundromats, pool halls, and airports any chance I could. All of my closest friends (over 20 years and counting) were met from playing SFII together.

I remember exactly where I was when I played each new iteration, using Ryu the first playthrough every time. Before playing my very first game, I asked my cousin how to pull off special moves as I planned on playing at the arcade. I lost but spent whatever I had because the competition was exhilirating.

The flood of memories just reading this put a big smile on my face at midnight. Thanks OP and I cannot wait for another quarter century of Street Fighter!

Solaire of Astora

Death by black JPN
What a great op. street fighter 2 was the first game that really got its hooks in me. Got it with my Amiga and played it every day for years. The fact that the Amiga version was terrible didn't even phase me.

Despite the amount of time I've spent with the game and it's sequels, I'm still a terrible player. But that doesn't stop me from enjoying it.

Fun fact; street fighter 2 technically saved my life. The version I had only let you play as the original 8 fighters. Eventually, another Amiga version released with all characters playable.

Anyway, one time my mother and older sister were going out to do some shopping. Usually, I would get dragged along and complain all the time because I was bored, but this time I actually wanted to go so I could look at the video games in the store as my birthday was coming up.

Fearing their girls day out would be ruined, my mum offered to buy me the new version of street fighter 2 for the Amiga if I stayed home with my dad.

Anyway, when they were driving home, the car was rear ended at great speed. Fortunately, my mum and sister were okay, but the back of the car completely caved in and the back seat (which, as the youngest of the family, I would have been occupying) was destroyed.

True story.

Anyone else own this cheap piece of crap growing up?

ZHlxHgt.jpg

Good times...

Yep! I see someone else mentioned it earlier in the thread as well.

I had the SNES version too thankfully, but I remember playing this on car rides etc as a kid and getting some mild enjoyment out of it despite how abysmal every aspect of it was. I still remember how unresponsive the controls were haha.

Gono

Banned
Great OT.

Regarding Famicom pirate SFII bootlegs... Of all the hilarious and awfully done pirate clones this is the best one:

Super Fighter III (aka Master Fighter VI')
1192724026_f.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9dmUmNz0Vc

Game has nice hitbox and you can do some wicked combos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvL3SGR5P3I

Super_Fighter_III_(Unl)_-!-_002.png

sf3-3.gif

sf3-4.gif

Another one that deserves to be mentioned is the first SF2 Bootleg on the Famicom/NES, the master of all fighters!

Master Fighter 2
9ddbd4329056e883566ba705afc43947.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RX-aOSTih8Y

streetfighter2-nes.jpg

Don't even bother with this one, It was... a fucking pain in the ass. BUT..
You knew pirates were serious about bringing the Street Fighter craze to the Famicom/NEs when they release the game with a cool packaging which even included a manual!!!

There's also a Game Gear korean bootleg game, which IMHO it's the most obscure SF 2 bootleg of any popular console. (later ported to Master System/Mark III)

Jang Pung II
JangPungII_SMS_KR_Box-214x300.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxbG1iduLrE

jangpung2-4.png

jangpung2sms-3.png

jangpung2sms-1.png

Try it at your own risk and prepare for maximum pain because it's even worse than the first SF2 bootleg on the NES.

Anyways, seems Jang Pung II did so well (?)... that these nice korean developers made a sequel, exclusive for the Master System with new characters! And it rules!

JANG PUNG III...

jangpung3ada.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYiNdRpELps

jangpung3-12a.png

jangpung3-11.png

jangpung3-5.png

jangpung3-9.png

It's probably the best fighter on the Master System. Only Masters Of Combat comes close (it was ported as Buster Fight on the Game Gear)

Finally, there's a licensed version of Street Fighter 2 released in the late 90's by Tectoy Brazil on the Master System, Yes, this one has the Capcom logo.

Official Street Fighter 2 release bros.
eis-a-capa-de-street-fighter-ii-para-master-system-nascido-da-iniciativa-da-tec-toy-1374190732443_956x500.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5H7bR7wzBo4

street-fighter-ii-master-system-elenco-460x345.png

street-fighter-ii-master-system-detecci%C3%B3n-de-colisi%C3%B3n-460x345.png

street-fighter-ii-master-system-radiograf%C3%ADa-460x345.png

Redesigned Tectoy logo looks cool (it doesn't have anything to do with SF2, but I just wanted to show it to you) :p
tectoy-logo.png

Some would think that an official port on a 8bit console would've been great, but it's quite poor. It looks like a legit Street Fighter 2, cause it has original artwork and sprites/backgrounds ripped directly from the Megadrive games.
But nobody would even care to try it if it was a bootleg. Game is not a game, is torture.

And. well, that's all, for now.
Maybe someday we can talk about crappy (and the few good ones) pirate bootleg games on its own thread.
Famicom/Nes pirate world is pretty interesting

Ludens

Banned
I dunno how many hours I burned on this when I was a kid.
I didn't own a SNES (only a NES with two games, actually, Super Mario Bros/Duck Hunt and Gunshot, or something like that), so a friend of mine had one and we literally only played this. I remember we always lose facing Balrog.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Awesome thread

Have they ever explained why Chun-Li's outfit is yellow/orange in the original SF?

drBoLQT.png

Also, Boxer is totally crying in this, right

maxresdefault.jpg

pizzacat

Banned
That matador video was great until that window scene lol

Also it would have been great to show dictator speaking Portuguese

The least TIGER Electronics could do is put Sagat on the front art.

going by that set of art, it would be pouty Sadgat:
MkbrYGy.jpg

The Tiger handheld art was also made into trading cards that came with the Gamepro SF2 guide that probably had combo lists full of combos that weren't actually combos. I seem to remember a lot of those in game mags back in the day.

Zee-Row

Banned
Was Chun-Li originally supposed to have an orange dress in World Warrior? Did Capcom change it in the last minute but forgot to change the color on the portrait?

Blueingreen

Next to Doom this was possibly the first game I ever played, 4-5 years old I was on holiday in Uganda, in a village on the outskirts of Kampala.

They had one of those makeshift arcades with a SNES hooked up to a big screen TV, all the kids were crowed around awaiting their turn, I remember seeing a round between Ryu and Guile, it was unlike anything I ever saw. I played as Ryu and got my ass handed to me by some older kid playing as Chunky Li, it was magical.

The GOAT fighting franchise, nothing else comes close.

Street-Fighter-GI-Joe-1-Cover-1.jpg

i wouldn't mind a SF vs GiJoe game Either with SFV engine or like the Vs game.

As for SF2 man....

The amount of money i spent at the arcades....

As a kid saving my allowance to go play this everyday back in the mid 90s.

Young Magus

So first off great OT. Have a lotta memories of playing this over my friends house waaaaay back on snes. This and megaman x hold a special place in my heart for my love of capcom and the snes.

Second was there a canon winner of this tournament or at least a good summery of important events?

Tizoc

So first off great OT. Have a lotta memories of playing this over my friends house waaaaay back on snes. This and megaman x hold a special place in my heart for my love of capcom and the snes.

Second was there a canon winner of this tournament or at least a good summery of important events?

IIRC
Ryu never fought Sagat
Chun or Guile reached the finals
Dictator's body is destroyed by Gouki
Gouki very likely never fought the winner of the tournament
Blanka reunited with his mother
Cammy discovers she was a member of Shadaloo

EDIT: Oh god, Ken's ending in OG SF2
7yfWr4k.png
tRLJXp9.png

rg0QWJ2.png
2Ay9vBj.png

They actually fixed it up in the next games
BYGmTxh.png

http://www.vgmuseum.com/end/psx/b/sf2col_nken.htm

EDIT2: Blanka's mother
EF3QIbI.png

http://www.vgmuseum.com/end/psx/b/sf2col_nblank.htm

Tizoc

Oh yeah IIRC, Guile's friend who died because of Shadaloo (revealed in SFZ to be Nash) was unnamed, it was Capcom USA that named him Charlie.

EDIT: Also Guile is Ken's brother in Law if anyone didn't know.

Syril

I really like Bengus' original Ryu and Ken designs from Street Fighter 1. It sets up their archetypes before anything in the actual games had even started to. Funny how they weren't straight head swaps in SF1.

jhmostyn

Neo Member
I'm seeing between 4 and 6 SF themed threads on the homepage at any one time this weekend - hype, and love for the series, is clearly reaching a crescendo!

PureYeti

IIRC
EDIT: Oh god, Ken's ending in OG SF2
7yfWr4k.png
tRLJXp9.png

rg0QWJ2.png
2Ay9vBj.png

They actually fixed it up in the next games
BYGmTxh.png

I just finish Ken WW playthrough few days ago to compare if there was any changes from the Hyper Fighting. Then I was laughing at how lazy Eliza look at the ending. Looks like a monster ready to get that shoryuken in the face.

Aske

Guile's wife is Elisa's sister.

Oh! Okay, then they're not technically brothers-in-law. Eliza's sister would be Ken's sister-in-law, but her husband doesn't become his brother-in-law, and vice versa. A sibling of your spouse becomes your in-law, but an in-law of your spouse doesn't become anything specific to you.

Still a super interesting connection though!

Tizoc

Oh! Okay, then they're not technically brothers-in-law. Eliza's sister would be Ken's sister-in-law, but her husband doesn't become his brother-in-law, and vice versa. A sibling of your spouse becomes your in-law, but an in-law of your spouse doesn't become anything specific to you.

Still a super interesting connection though!

Ah thanks, as English is my 2nd language I mix that term up XP

lazygecko

Funny detail in the Game Boy port of Street Fighter 2. This was one of those games that included custom border graphics when played with the Super Game Boy apparently. Each stage would have its own custom color borders. Almost as if the game is taunting you by helping you pretend just a bit that you're playing the SNES version.

supergameboyq9pv1.png

I really like Bengus' original Ryu and Ken designs from Street Fighter 1. It sets up their archetypes before anything in the actual games had even started to. Funny how they weren't straight head swaps in SF1.

Bengus made those? My, what happened with his SF5 art lmao

CZmxvzVWEAA_DYt.jpg

Oh yeah IIRC, Guile's friend who died because of Shadaloo (revealed in SFZ to be Nash) was unnamed, it was Capcom USA that named him Charlie.

EDIT: Also Guile is Ken's brother in Law if anyone didn't know.
I'm still wondering why Capcom USA couldn't just change M. Bison to anything else without the need to confuse the entire world with swapping around three character names.

It just goes to show you either how much they didn't care or how little faith they had in the success of the franchise moving forward.

Lesson to take from this is don't take liberties to add or change if you ain't the original creator. You'll always screw things up in the long run.

Warxard

Banned
I'm still wondering why Capcom USA couldn't just change M. Bison to anything else without the need to confuse the entire world with swapping around three character names.

It just goes to show you either how much they didn't care or how little faith they had in the success of the franchise moving forward.

Lesson to take from this is don't take liberties do add or change if you ain't the original creator. You'll always screw things up in the long run.

Capcom USA is wholly responsible for the Street Fighter 2 expansions, so saying Capcom USA didn't care is fucking bullshit.

Seyavesh

IIRC
Ryu never fought Sagat
Chun or Guile reached the finals
Dictator's body is destroyed by Gouki
Gouki very likely never fought the winner of the tournament
Blanka reunited with his mother
Cammy discovers she was a member of Shadaloo

you also forgot that ken beat the shit out of ryu in sf2 and then fucked off to the beach to bang his girlfriend
it's true

Capcom USA is wholly responsible for the Street Fighter 2 expansions, so saying Capcom USA didn't care is fucking bullshit.

seriously- it cannot be stated enough how integral capcom USA and the american competitve scene were to the development of sf2's expansions and fighting games as a whole
imo the polygon article about the development of sf2 (it's in the OP too) is probably the best piece they've ever produced and it actually makes me understand why sf4 and 5 are so molasses vs. st

(the reason is because turbo mode is 100% an american invention and the original designer hated it)

Syril

Bengus made those? My, what happened with his SF5 art lmao
I don't know maybe he had a really tight deadline or something? That's honestly the first art of his I've seen that wasn't awesome.

They couldn't make new assets. All they could do was make use of the name graphics that were already in the game.

(Street Fighter II’: Champion Edition released on March 1992. Commonly known as CE, this game allowed players to use the 4 boss characters, and introduced an element that was mind-blowing for the time: You can do mirror matches. The apostrophe is pronounced as Dash.

What in the world? I never heard of this let alone noticed the mark in the title. Crazy.

When I was a kid I called Guile, "Gully" since I never knew the word guile. I still think it sometimes.

I remember seeing Street Fighter 2 in the arcades. There were so many people crowding the machine the arcades attached TVs because all the people in the crowd couldn't see the screen.

But the 6 buttons! The character models seemed so huge. The mechanics and special moves flashy and fun. I wouldn't play the game for some time after that. I was too intimidated to try to play it when there were so many people packed in at all times and most knew the moves already

Great game and franchise

Simo

Thanks to this thread I rented Street Fighter last night given I hadn't seen it in years...

...What a blast. LOL I had forgotten the whole "Change the channel!" and "Tuesday" scene that it caught me off guard and had me rolling.

I also missed this in the OP and Capcom retweeted it but I just started reading Polygon's oral history of Street Fighter 2 and it's a great read so far!
http://www.polygon.com/a/street-fighter-2-oral-history

Well they weren't very smart, how about that. There were much better and easier ways to rename the character and avoid a lawsuit.
I don't know maybe he had a really tight deadline or something? That's honestly the first art of his I've seen that wasn't awesome.

They couldn't make new assets. All they could do was make use of the name graphics that were already in the game.
They added the name Charlie to the end and added US font to the endings but they couldn't rename a single character?

Tizoc

Well they weren't very smart, how about that. There were much better and easier ways to rename the character and avoid a lawsuit.

Keep in mind that game development back then wasn't necessarily the same as it is now.
Because all the audio was done and completed the most they could do is change existing things around.
Consider also communication between CoJ and Capcom USA.

lazygecko

Keep in mind that game development back then wasn't necessarily the same as it is now.
Because all the audio was done and completed the most they could do is change existing things around.
Consider also communication between CoJ and Capcom USA.

Announcer voice calling out the character names wasn't added until Super AFAIK.

I was about to back down but lazygecko came in the assist.

But I do understand the communication part of it all. Same thing was going on with Sega (and other companies) back then as well.

Top Bottom