• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This year marks the Street Fighter II series' 25th anniversary

Syril

Well they weren't very smart, how about that. There were much better and easier ways to rename the character and avoid a lawsuit.

They added the name Charlie to the end and added US font to the endings but they couldn't rename a single character?
The text in the winquotes and endings wasn't the same as the graphics for the character names. It all depends on whether it's stored as a font set or each name is stored as its own graphic.

lazygecko

Actually I'm not even sure if they added spoken character names at all to any iteration of SF2... The only thing the announcer calls out is country names.

I really like Bengus' original Ryu and Ken designs from Street Fighter 1. It sets up their archetypes before anything in the actual games had even started to. Funny how they weren't straight head swaps in SF1.

I love those, but these are from when they were originally going to make SF Alpha a straight up SF1 remake. That's where this art is from (circa 1994-ish). This is what the real OG SF1 art looked like:
latest

Tizoc

Announcer voice calling out the character names wasn't added until Super AFAIK.

Ah true, then in that case, go back and read the first few paragraphs of my post:
Nobody expected this game to become the sensation that it is today.

At the time, the name swapping made sense mainly because how would anyone outside Japan even know of the original Japanese names?
Would anyone care for that at the time? Going by that and just following on on its popularity Capcom saw no reason to change the names from what was known at the time.

Seyavesh

I was about to back down but lazygecko came in the assist.

But I do understand the communication part of it all. Same thing was going on with Sega (and other companies) back then as well.

you could also just read the polygon article which directly addresses this
[Capcom USA executives] believed they could get sued. But at that time, all the name graphics had already been done, so there was no way to create another graphic just to replace it. ... So whatever fit with the character graphics was OK. I mean, it was not the best choice. There was a lot of argument that "Vega" — that doesn't fit with the character, with the clothes. But there was no other choice. It was a reluctant decision, but getting sued is a much bigger problem.

your statement about original intention and whatnot is dumb anyways because CE and turbo and every single expansion to SF2 wouldn't have happened if capcom USA didn't straight up go behind capcom japan's back to produce them. hell, the original design team literally did not understand why people would want to play as the bosses or mirror match
see:
James Goddard:
We were shot down the first time we pitched Champ Edition. [The team in Japan] said, "Why would anyone want to play the same character, and why would anyone want to play the bosses? We don't think that will be popular here." And that was because they weren't playing head-to-head hardcore. Oh sure, they had tournaments, but it was not their culture. It was not like our culture where it was like, "Man, I'm so tired of your Guile."

edit:
Actually I'm not even sure if they added spoken character names at all to any iteration of SF2... The only thing the announcer calls out is country names.
super and st have them for sure, because "barlog wins" still makes me laugh today
also, the entire "guile wins" youtube series

PSqueak

Banned
Well they weren't very smart, how about that. There were much better and easier ways to rename the character and avoid a lawsuit.

They added the name Charlie to the end and added US font to the endings but they couldn't rename a single character?

Frankly, look at it, they renamed a spanish character "Vega", which makes sense with Vega being an actual hispanic last name, they renamed the final boss "M. Bison" which taken away from the boxer sounds like the impossing head of a militar organization, and they just dumped the remaining name on boxer. So im guessing they just realized that switching around the names was more fitting for each character (except boxer) rather than just making up new names.

ShutEye

Because I don't know much about it :3 Plus I treat it as any other 90s console port of SF2.

The 3DO version had an aura about it. It was the only console version available for some time after release I believe.

My friend's dad had a 3DO, it was a special experience to have had access when it was first released.

Tizoc

The 3DO version had an aura about it. It was the only console version available for some time after release I believe.

My friend's dad had a 3DO, it was a special experience to have had access when it was first released.

Interesting, I have little knowledge about the 3DO so it's impressive to know about this.

Sanctuary

How could the op not mention 3DO super turbo?

I purchased the 3DO just for that game when it was released. Also bought two of these...
Capcom-pad-3DO.jpg

For some reason, a lot of people bitched, and bitched about the music, because it was so radically different from the arcade version. I personally thought it was the best SF music of all up to that point. Much of the music in SF5 actually reminds me of the 3DO version of the game too.

i.e.
Vega's 3DO theme
Vega's SF5 theme < probably my new favorite SF track.
The best Guile theme of all time

Dude, it has the best arranged soundtrack!
p9sjh1vbfdh7yz2dgm9v.gif

RAIDEN1

Makes you wonder why the 3DO version was the only console to get these versions of the revised soundtracks, why couldn't they port it to the PSX and Saturn with the exact same music sets?

Tizoc

Makes you wonder why the 3DO version was these only console version to get the revised soundtracks, why couldn't they port it to the PSX and Saturn with the exact same music sets?

Could be a special contract thing?

Hmm seems the 3DO ver. had a few issues
3D0
The most glaring problem with the 3D0 version is that the Old characters are completely missing. It also has lots of missing animation. For example, all of Zangief's ducking punches are the same animation in the 3D0 version.
Other known differences :
- All characters get CPS1 chains
- Gouki/Akuma's Red Fireball has lesser recovery and can throw another fireball again at the 2nd hit !
http://wiki.shoryuken.com/Super_Street_Fighter_2_Turbo

Sanctuary

Gouki/Akuma's Red Fireball has lesser recovery and can throw another fireball again at the 2nd hit !

Haha. I discovered a cheap as hell corner trap with his red fireball. If you knocked them down in the corner and tossed one as they were rising, they would be forced to block if it was meaty (easy enough to do). The block stun on it was so fucking high (in conjunction with his ridiculous recovery on it), that you could toss another one before it ended and chip them to death that way. I never bothered using double air fireball shenanigans, but I would do this crap if anyone let me put them in the corner. Also, not sure if this was doable in the arcade version, but I came up with a crossup dizzy/redizzy with Ryu.

And yeah, the game wasn't arcade perfect, but it was the closest to arcade quality that had been done on the consoles up to that point. The system that really nails it though is the Saturn. That was the Capcom machine.

There's actually a glitch that a friend and I witnessed on the 3DO version of this game that we only ever saw once, and never again, but we didn't imagine it. It was when playing the computer to fight against Akuma. Instead of facing Bison, Akuma warps in, does the raging demon and knocks him out, where he lies unconcious in the background. We have no idea what animation this is from, but when the game glitched, he actually sat up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGgERboVsXM

Seyavesh

Haha. I discovered a cheap as hell corner trap with his red fireball. If you knocked them down in the corner and tossed one as they were rising, they would be forced to block if it was meaty (easy enough to do). The block stun on it was so fucking high (in conjunction with his ridiculous recovery on it), that you could toss another one before it ended and chip them to death that way. I never bothered using double air fireball shenanigans, but I would do this crap if anyone let me put them in the corner.

this is actually doable in st's arcade version too lol
akuma has a red/shakunetsu fireball blockstun inf using the fierce version- by the sound of it's even easier on the 3do version but still that is a hilarious detail to carry over

Tripon

One thing I always found odd that SNES did get a port of Super, but not ST. And the SNES somehow got a port of Alpha 1. It's not like Alpha 1 was an easier game to port than ST was.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Some pretty sweet concept sketches from Polygon's article on the anniversary.

full-width-sketches.jpg

They should totally bring back the knight/templar looking dude.

EDIT: AHAHAHA

Yoko Shimomura said:
Chun-Li has big thighs, right? So back in the day, I asked Mr. Yasuda, "Why does she have such big thighs?" And he started shouting and went off and was like, "I can't believe you don't understand the appeal." And he started explaining the attraction. And you know, I'm a woman and I asked the question but it kind of got awkward when he started explaining his fetishes. I mean, he has really strong feelings toward his creations. There's a reason for everything being the way that it is. When I heard that, I thought maybe that's something that everybody thinks, but everybody doesn't go out telling everybody. But he just told me.

PSGames

My favorite game as a kid. I received the SNES version as a Christmas gift and it just sat under the tree mocking me. After a day or so I couldn't take it any more and would carefully unwrap and rewrap the gift before my mom came home to play. Fighting games are still my favorite genre to this day.

z1ggy

Best memories i have from SF 2 is getting into real fights after a 1 vs 1 at the arcades. Fun times.

Blanka was my first character. I still play some SF 2 Turbo because the gameplay is flawless and timeless.

Neoxon

The Super Smash Bros. rendition of the original japanese cover is obligatory. It was redrawn by Akiman himself.

Gyj0Xwe.jpg
Weird how they used Street Fighter V Ryu in the artwork (notice the padding around the knuckles), yet it's Street Fighter IV Ryu who's actually in Smash 4.

IronLich

I've been playing a lot of SF2 today to mark the occasion.

Special Champion Edition on Genesis, SF2 WW on SNES, SF Anniversary Collection on PS2...

Street Fighter has been very good to me. I'm certainly far from the best, but it's just a magical franchise on its own.

Characters, music, iconic sound and motions... Street Fighter is an institution in the world of video games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7oTZ9bWDEI
Hold your Dreams, Capcom. Here's to Street Fighter V.

Aske

One of my favourite childhood SF2 memories was this British Street Fighter 2 player's guide video that came with an issue of Nintendo Magazine System (like if a Nintendo console wasn't designed for 'entertainment', and was instead designed for 'magazine').

http://youtu.be/zZ2E2wcU_TE

To my shame, I still remember it word for word. I had the tape years before I had my own copy of the game, so I watched this over and over and over because it was almost kind of like having my own Super NES.

Seyavesh

One of my favourite childhood SF2 memories was this British Street Fighter 2 player's guide video that came with an issue of Nintendo Magazine System (like if a Nintendo console wasn't designed for 'entertainment', and was instead designed for 'magazine').

http://youtu.be/6n2k1nXxog8

To my shame, I still remember it word for word. I had the tape years before I had my own copy of the game, so I watched this over and over and over because it was almost kind of like having my own Super NES.

oh man this just reminded me of this incredible video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9q0s8eny3SY

if you wanna get to the meat aka horrific fake accents, skip to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9q0s8eny3SY#t=5m48s
the craziest part is that the combos are actually real as fuck and practical

Tizoc

Rather off topic but to my surprise, tmnt tournament fighters released on the snes in 1993 had a super meter @o@
This is mind blowing because only snk utilized supers and a 2ndAry meter between 1992 and super turbo's release

joecanada

Ken and RYU same? Blasphemy! Burn the witch!

Lol great arcade game spent hundreds on quarters and I remember people arguing about one of these many myths

" Ken is slightly faster but Ryu is more powerful "

haha I never found out if that was true but I know in the snes version it wasn't

linkeh

Neo Member
Like everyone else, hours and hours of memories playing SF2 and all the spinoffs. Although I went on to prefer the Alpha series, there will always be something about SF2 that keeps a special place in my life.

Top Bottom