• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This year's best mid-shelf games?

Drizzlehell

Banned
Or "double-A" as some people like to call it.

With all the talk about GOTY awards for all the big budget mainstream games and indie critical darlings, I wanted to pour one out for those mid-budget titles that usually bridge the periods in between bigger releases, and often tend to be better than many triple-A releases.

Probably the most notable 2023 game in this category was Robocop Rogue City, but what else was there? For me personally, I enjoyed Wanted: Dead and Scars Above quite a bit.

bender

What time is it?
Remnant 2 was one of the bigger disappointments for me this year. I have a lot of complaints about Jusant but that's mostly due to wasted potential and I think it's well worth experiencing especially with its' budget price.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Lies of P. Thought it was gonna be doo doo. Tried it on gamepass and insta bought to support.

Otherwise a game that came out of nowhere that was great this year that likely wasn’t on anyone’s radar is Dredge. Fun little game.

Kupfer

Is Dead Island 2 a contender for that title?
I don't know about its' total budget but I know devs did a great job considering the clusterfuck all around the games past.
To me it even is my GOTY. I had so much fun with it and played from start to platinum in a couple of days which doesn't happen often these days.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
Atlas fallen.
Many might disagree and it flew under the radar, but I truly enjoyed it very much. Fun combat, good graphics, reasonable voice acting and production values.
Definition of AA too.
Others like Lies of P, Lords of the fallen etc have already been mentioned.

Hudo

As of recently, "Pioneers of Pagonia". And to the surprise of no one, it absolutely fucking curb stomps Ubisoft's "The Settlers: New Alliances".

Edit: Also shoutout to Advance Wars 1+2 on Switch.

Last edited:

MarkMe2525

"We Are One" is stunning, mechanically sound, clever, and overall just punches way above its weight. Sadly, only a few dozen thousand will ever play this as it's a VR game. If you have the hardware, it's worth checking out.

P.s. PM me if you want to check it out and want a referral discount.

Drizzlehell

Banned
A lot already listed so I'll add Exoprimal.

I dunno about this one tbh. I don't know how well it did commercially but it seemed like a pretty big new game for Capcom this year. Feels kinda on the same level as Lost Planet 1 and 2 was back in the day.

Agreed and good idea. Time to highlight, celebrate and applaud the AA games of the industry that get little to no word of mouth.
Yeah, that's actually a good point. I didn't wanna generalise in the OP, but it kinda does feel like most conversations are focused on triple-A or indie studios, and those mid-shelf releases usually get their own OT but then the conversation about them mostly fades away.

Atlas fallen.
Many might disagree and it flew under the radar, but I truly enjoyed it very much. Fun combat, good graphics, reasonable voice acting and production values.

Definition of AA too.
Others like Lies of P, Lords of the fallen etc have already been mentioned.
Looked at some footage of this. Doesn't look half-bad. Will add it to my consideration list. Have to do some additional research. Thanks for the heads up.

Last edited:

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
Looked at some footage of this. Doesn't look half-bad. Will add it to my consideration list. Have to some additional research. Thanks for the heads up.

Just one more thing. The opening of this game is pretty bad. Stick with it for an hour or so and it will click.

Fbh

I really enjoyed my time with Fire Emblem Engage.
81JJ-9rB0vL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

Don't know if it's considered AA but it's definitely a significant step below stuff like FFXVI or Tears of The Kingdom in terms of production values.
While I still don't like the art direction (the character design in particular) , in every other way it's the Fire Emblem I wanted since the launch of the Switch, bringing the focus back to the combat instead of the relationship stuff. I thought the "engage" mechanic with the rings and heroes from previous games was pretty cool, the weapon breaking/disarming mechanic also added a new strategic layer which I enjoyed.

Sadly it reportedly didn't sell as well as three houses so with the next one it's probably back to highschool simulator, relationships and bonds.

FeralEcho

Lies of P by far, It's better than 90% of AAA releases nowadays. It's incredible how amazing and polished it turned out.

Had it on my radar,played on Gamepass for 2 hours,then bought on PS5,and it became my current Game of the Generation,even though I think BG3 is a better game,but I still prefer Lies of P in terms of the impact it had on me.It is the Bloodborne of this generation for me.

Top Bottom