• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Thor 3: Ragnarok | Production Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Kree

Banned
film production is crazy laborious, imagine the hundreds of man hours it must have taken to put all that together, and it will probably only be in a handful of scenes if that..

No only that, but since it's Ragnarok, it's probably gonna be destroyed in a matter of seconds.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BHv2f2WjeCy/?taken-by=markruffalo

hulknpunr.gif

The shoehorning of Hulk into this is gonna be so weird.

Kalentan

film production is crazy laborious, imagine the hundreds of man hours it must have taken to put all that together, and it will probably only be in a handful of scenes if that..

I imagine that even for those few scenes, the people that worked on the sets feel amazing. To see these actors walking around a set you made, regardless for how long must be awesome.

dabig2

Like, we're getting a movie about Hulk in space when we never were given any backstory for that.

He's just gonna show up? Unless he's a hologram or something, it makes no sense.

The setup for how the Hulk gets entangled in Asgard shenanigans is plausible within the confines of the universe. Magic space uber combined with a pissed off god who probably harbors a Hulk grudge and who is now masquerading as the big boss is all the necessary information.

The shoehorning of Hulk into this is gonna be so weird.

I think it's almost guaranteed to make this a better movie than the previous two Thor films.

Like, we're getting a movie about Hulk in space when we never were given any backstory for that.

He's just gonna show up? Unless he's a hologram or something, it makes no sense.

Maybe there will be a reason. Maybe it will be explained via a hand-wave. Probably it won't even matter.

There's an opening for it. Hulk flew off at the end of Avengers 2 and hasn't been seen since, which is quite the feat for a nine foot tall green rage monster in a world of cameraphones. It's not inconceivable that the reason why nobody can find him is that he's been off-planet. Banner is a supergenius, after all, he could probably manage it by himself if necessary.

There's an opening for it. Hulk flew off at the end of Avengers 2 and hasn't been seen since, which is quite the feat for a nine foot tall green rage monster in a world of cameraphones. It's not inconceivable that the reason why nobody can find him is that he's been off-planet. Banner is a supergenius, after all, he could probably manage it by himself if necessary.

I'm not saying it's unlikely, I'm just saying a hand-waive off-screen bullshit explanation like this would be the most Marvel thing that Marvel Studios will have ever done.

neorej

ERMYGERD!

Just like how Loki just showed up in the first Thor movie. Just like that, not a prequel that explained his presence there, it was just like "BOOM!" there he is. Man, this franchise is a mess.

I'm not saying it's unlikely, I'm just saying a hand-waive off-screen bullshit explanation like this would be the most Marvel thing that Marvel Studios will have ever done.

Not really. I mean, Avengers 2 did have the line where Banner realized there was nowhere on the planet where he's not a threat. All they need is a bit where he says that he went ahead with that line of thinking. Or just show him figuring out how to get off planet during the opening credits or something.

Or, Loki, now being effectively king of Asgard, starts the movie off by nabbing Banner from Earth because he's still sore about getting smashed into the floor repeatedly by Hulk.

dabig2

I'm like 99% sure Hulk's disappearance from earth into space shenanigans has something to do with Loki and that it will make sense in the movie proper. No hand-waiving needed. Again, magic space uber and the authority to use it.

Hulk was integral to Loki's plan in Avengers 1 and he'll probably be integral in some way to whatever scheme Loki has cooked up now. They could do the Hulk vs Thor animated movie thing for example which was a simple but sensible setup: kidnap Hulk and magically control him to destroy shit.

Pachimari

It would be cool if Banner showed up in Doctor Strange, and he opens a portal sending him out in space where he'll Hulk out.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
I'm like 99% sure Hulk's disappearance from earth into space shenanigans has something to do with Loki and that it will make sense in the movie proper. No hand-waiving needed. Again, magic space uber and the authority to use it.

Hulk was integral to Loki's plan in Avengers 1 and he'll probably be integral in some way to whatever scheme Loki has cooked up now. They could do the Hulk vs Thor animated movie thing for example which was a simple but sensible setup: kidnap Hulk and magically control him to destroy shit.

Or maybe Thor travels to Earth, finds Hulk with the help of Heimdall, says "Banner, care to smash some things?" and off we go.

Denzar

I'm not satisfied with how Marvel has handled their villains in past MCU movies but I'm very curious to see Jeff Goldblum in such a role. They'll probably just shit the bed again, for starters. And, like someone mentioned before, all villains will be rendered useless because of Loki.

That said, I'm probably the only person that likes all Thor movies, so I'm looking forward to this one.

Blade30

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not satisfied with how Marvel has handled their villains in past MCU movies but I'm very curious to see Jeff Goldblum in such a role. They'll probably just shit the bed again, for starters. And, like someone mentioned before, all villains will be rendered useless because of Loki.

That said, I'm probably the only person that likes all Thor movies, so I'm looking forward to this one.

I have high hope that Cate Blanchett will break the villain curse (I don't find Loki that good) of the MCU movies, but we also have Mads Mikkelsen in Doctor Strange which is coming soon so I hope they'll be great.

Pachimari

Nah, I love the Thor movie as well. I can't remember much of Dark World so I'm gonna rewatch that soon. But I'm really hopeful Ragnarok will be a breakout movie of Phase 3.

tomtom94

The mere fact that they tried something different (effectively, in my opinion) with Zemo in Civil War gives me hope that Marvel/Feige/whoever took a look at the negative reception to villains in phase 2 and want improvements to be a core part of phase 3.

jmood88

Not really, since he was in the middle of an ocean.

Loki has become a bit of a cartoon villain. The proverbial "twirling the ends of my mustache" while being a dastardly fellow kind of character. He doesn't feel like someone you can take seriously.

Which is one of the concerns I had with Ultron, quite frankly.

I like the Thor movies, but then the whole Norse thing is especially interesting to me. My biggest gripe with Dark World, actually, was the complete lack of other Avengers present. Here we are with a guy about to destroy the world using this Aethir portal and while we're in a world where Cap, Iron Man, etc. all exist, none of them come swooping in to help out.

It's likely that Loki conjures a plan to have Hulk attack Asguard and destroy it. Thor comes to the rescue and has to fight hulk - with Lori's intention to simply kill Thor so there's no one really in the way of Loki not taking over Asguard. We still don't know what happened to Odin. Perhaps he's sleeping.

DeathoftheEndless

Crashing this plane... with no survivors!
Or, Loki, now being effectively king of Asgard, starts the movie off by nabbing Banner from Earth because he's still sore about getting smashed into the floor repeatedly by Hulk.

Jeff Goldblum's character is looking for arena contestants. Finds out about Hulk. Kidnaps him and forces him to fight.

JeTmAn81

Let me quote Grant Morrison to answer your conundrum:
lafzjzb.jpg

What a lazy way to hand-wave the need for consistency in fantasy storytelling. It doesn't matter how outlandish it is, your story has to make sense in the context of its setting. That means some fantastical things will make sense, and others will seem completely inappropriate. Grant Morrison should know this as well as anyone.

The director has a good sense of humor about it. That's nice.

Grant Morrison is funny too. He should know, just read his last run on Batman.

LosDaddie

Banned

I'm sure Hulk's presence will be hand waved. Like, Thor will just be walking around Asgard and be all "Hey, I know you. You're Banner!"

Something like that.

HeySeuss

I'm sure Hulk's presence will be hand waved. Like, Thor will just be walking around Asgard and be all "Hey, I know you. You're Banner!"

Something like that.

The initial reveal may be out of nowhere, but we'll get some kind of explanation afterwards. Y'all crazy if you think it won't be discussed. It'd take all of a 2 minute flashback.

Not really, since he was in the middle of an ocean.

Well... not forever.

Also, I have a funny feeling that that last Hulk transformation in Avengers 2 was more of a permanent merger than your typical Hulk transformation. I mean, following the half-completed Lullaby by Black Widow, Hulk was very un-Hulk-like for the remainder of the film. Dropping Black Widow off on the Helicarrier, tossing Ultron out of the plane without damaging anything in the plane, closing the door to the plane, turning off the communications...

We could be in for one of the more intelligent Hulk variants in Ragnarok.

What a lazy way to hand-wave the need for consistency in fantasy storytelling. It doesn't matter how outlandish it is, your story has to make sense in the context of its setting. That means some fantastical things will make sense, and others will seem completely inappropriate. Grant Morrison should know this as well as anyone.

Except the examples he listed are genuinely dumb complaints to have. He is making fun of those, not advocating for the breaking of internal logic in storytelling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom