• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Those Windows drivers for the Xbox One controller would be nice

Grief.exe

Even though I am a proud owner of a PS4 I would still buy an Xbox one controller to use on my PC. With Wolfenstien and watchdogs coming out I've been using Steam big picture and PC has always been next to my TV, so right now I have a 15ft USB cord running across my living room with a wired 360 pad attached. Since its impossible to track down the Microsoft branded adapter for wireless pads I just use this solution for the time being. While the DS4 is a semi-vaiable option, it is still quirky in some games like the souls series, and I just really don't feel like screwing with it every time I play a controller friendly PC title. Where are those drivers they said they would be putting out for the xbone pad? I'd love a PC branded one that comes with a USB adapter, or some sort of WiFi solution. Can this be that hard? Or is Microsoft keeping on with that "commitment" to the PC.

You need to use the DS4 Xinput wrapper http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-DS4Windows-yet-another-DualShock-4-driver

The reason you think it is 'wonky' is your computer is detecting the DS4 as direct input which isn't always compatible.

It won't recognize it, at all. It works fine in other games and in big picture but Dark Souls just won't see it.

Thanks for the response major nelson, PC gamers are still here, and we do care about Microsoft products and games.

Make sure you have every other controller unplugged from your computer. Better yet, post a picute of control panel > hardware > printers.

Jesb said:
I'm in the same boat as the OP. I use a xbox 360 razr controller and I despise the long cord across the room. I can't find anyone selling the xbox 360 wireless adapter so I'm also sol until someone releases a controller. I'll buy an xbox one controller if drivers ever come. I don't know why Sony can't do it too. I'm also keeping an eye on the steam controller if it ever comes.

The Chinese knockoffs on ebay work perfectly.

I was waiting for those drivers for a long time, but I couldn't wait any longer. So I just bought a bluetooth adapter and am playing with a PS3 controller wireless for now.

I still want to buy an Xbox One controller and play on PC with it. The triggers on the PS3 controller just don't go right with some games on the PC. While the Xbox controllers get the job done well. I would just use my 360 controller, but I want to try out that X1 controller.

Mechazawa

What I want to know is if it's going to be possible to grandfather in the older 360 inputs with whatever drivers they're cooking up. If developers have to start from scratch with the Xbox One drivers and I need some kind of wrapper to play games with 360 inputs, it's going to kill whatever enthusiasm I have for this thing. The 360's big draw is the plug and play and I still have plenty of slightly older games to get through.

Grief.exe

What I want to know is if it's going to be possible to grandfather in the older 360 inputs with whatever drivers they're cooking up. If developers have to start from scratch with the Xbox One drivers and I need some kind of wrapper to play games with 360 inputs, it's going to kill whatever enthusiasm I have for this thing. The 360's big draw is the plug and play and I still have plenty of slightly older games to get through.

If the drivers aren't compatible with xinput, then the entire controller is going to get left behind.

Let's be honest, the xinput standard has had a decade to build up market share. The Xbox One cannot compete with that, and developers won't always support another set of drivers.

Deitus

Lol. I'm not the port begging police, just an observation.

Well obviously not. The port begging police would clearly know that it's no longer port begging if the port has already been announced. At that point it's just normal bitching for someone to hurry up and announce a release date and/or release already.

;)

Unless you really need the rumble triggers, you could get a Logitech F710, it is wireless and works quite well. I have the older wired model (F510), it works quite well and can be used for x-input (on Windows) or direct input games (on Mac/Linux) by toggling a switch on the back.

Leb

Microsoft is the indifferent, absentee father to an entire generation of PC gamers, a father who left our mothers for a slimmer, hotter model.

Now our mother is bringing around this new guy, "Phil," and he says he wants to be our friend but after Mom's disastrous fling with "Don," we're just not as trusting as we used to be.

Banned
According to Penello it's still coming.

So don't hold your breath.

Alternatively, you can buy a third party adapter for the 360 controller. You have to do one extra step to get it to sync, but other than that it works perfectly.

A modder made drivers that allow the DS4 to work on PC

You want to download these drivers as the above instructions are still good, but the link goes to an older version.

It's coming in 3 months valve time.

How does the DPad on the DS4 compare?
It's been a while since I've used both, but I remember the DS4 feeling super-nice, especially when I was trying out my P4A moves and what not. (Obviously not playing the actual game with it.)

I feel like the Xbone D-Pad would be perfect for my Retro-Arch machine, and the DS4 for fighting games and what not.
(My arcade stick is being a bum. :/)

Grief.exe

How come it needs a wrapper, why can't it just plug in and automatically support Xinput?

Well there are no official drivers for the DS4 and the computer detects the controller as Direct Input which is a lesser known standard.

The wrapper forces the computer to detect the DS4 as a normal 360 controller.

How come it needs a wrapper, why can't it just plug in and automatically support Xinput?

X-input is a standard set up by MS for its Xbox controller. The hardware industry standard for gamepads is direct input, most controllers not manufactured by MS use direct input and a switch/software x-input wrapper. Linux/Mac PCs use direct input for gamepads. PS3 controllers can work wirelessly over bluetooth with your Mac without any need to install drivers/wrappers etc.

Tweet to game devs to stop supporting proprietary BS like xinput and have direct input support for their PC games on Windows as well (no reason not to, I can play Borderlands 2 on my Mac with a wireless PS3 controller but to play it on my windows PC I have to go back to my Wired F510 or use wrappers). This BS started with MS and I am not buying controllers made by them to support what is an extremely dubious business practice i.e. using drivers/API as a trojan horse to push hardware adoption.

If the drivers aren't compatible with xinput, then the entire controller is going to get left behind.

Let's be honest, the xinput standard has had a decade to build up market share. The Xbox One cannot compete with that, and developers won't always support another set of drivers.

You understand.

dlemarc

I hope they announce the wireless dongle simultaneously and not just wired drivers. I've already been using the controller on PC with a dongle called controllermax, but I'm tired of being tethered.

They actively told someone making fanmade drivers to stop and he agreed since Microsoft said they were making their own.

Now I kind of wonder if they did that because they're trying to delay releasing those drivers.

I'm waiting on the release of these drivers to buy an Xbox One controller. I was considering just getting another 360 controller a few months ago but I told myself to be patient.

Don't know how much longer I can hold out.

Even though I am a proud owner of a PS4 I would still buy an Xbox one controller to use on my PC. With Wolfenstien and watchdogs coming out I've been using Steam big picture and PC has always been next to my TV, so right now I have a 15ft USB cord running across my living room with a wired 360 pad attached. Since its impossible to track down the Microsoft branded adapter for wireless pads I just use this solution for the time being. While the DS4 is a semi-vaiable option, it is still quirky in some games like the souls series, and I just really don't feel like screwing with it every time I play a controller friendly PC title. Where are those drivers they said they would be putting out for the xbone pad? I'd love a PC branded one that comes with a USB adapter, or some sort of WiFi solution. Can this be that hard? Or is Microsoft keeping on with that "commitment" to the PC.

What's quirky about it?

I've used DS4 on all my PC games since January and not had any "quirks".

Tesseract

Banned
I'm waiting on the release of these drivers to buy an Xbox One controller. I was considering just getting another 360 controller a few months ago but I told myself to be patient.

Don't know how much longer I can hold out.

yup, same. microsoft where be my drivers!

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Well there are no official drivers for the DS4 and the computer detects the controller as Direct Input which is a lesser known standard.

The wrapper forces the computer to detect the DS4 as a normal 360 controller.

Direct Input isn't "lesser known", it's just not what has become the standard in PC games over the past generation. Microsoft's proprietary standard for 360 controllers is, unfortunately. Not that it's bad per se - it works great - but it means that controllers which use the "actual" standard, Direct Input, typically don't work in games without using wrapper software.

SlickVic

I got tired of waiting for these and just decided to get a wireless receiver (MS branded ones were $11 on eBay when I was looking a few weeks ago) and some eneloops (these things hold a charge pretty well). Hoping that'll last me at least a few years and maybe by then the Xbox One controller will have official PC support.

arhra

Direct Input isn't "lesser known", it's just not what has become the standard in PC games over the past generation. Microsoft's proprietary standard for 360 controllers is, unfortunately. Not that it's bad per se - it works great - but it means that controllers which use the "actual" standard, Direct Input, typically don't work in games without using wrapper software.

DirectInput is every bit as proprietary as XInput is. Clue's in the name, it's part of DirectX (semi-deprecated since XInput was introduced in DX9, but still present, and commonly used for mouse/keyboard/etc input).

What you might be thinking of is that most legacy controllers (and PS3/4 controllers, etc) will show up when connected to a PC as standard USB/BT HID devices, which are handled in Windows by the standard DirectInput driver.

The trouble is, USB HID is great in terms of flexibility (as it was designed to be a generic way of supporting any input device, from keyboard/mice, up to full-blown flight sim HOTAS setups, etc), but that very same flexibility makes it a nightmare to work with in games, as there's no standardisation of button names/locations, stick/trigger axes, etc. So you can't ship with a standard controller input profile, as it would be nonsensical on most hardware, and players have to map buttons themselves, and you can't have any kind of useful button prompt, as what looks like "button 1" to the game might be called any number of things on the pad (might be an A button in a typical ABXY diamond, could be an X on a playstation controller, might even be the start button, etc).

Nzyme32

As soon as the Steam controller gets it's official release, so will the windows drivers for the xbox one controller. Seems like the ideal point to suddenly demonstrate an interest in PC gamers

So then what exactly are the kinds of things you need to do to fix that? Just curious?

Is there a replacement for xinput? Or are you doing some compatibility testing? Both?

It's very interesting (at least to me!). Once we announce/release (which as Major said will be soon) I'll be able to talk about it. I believe (hope) people will be pleased which is why it's taken us longer.

Ovek

7Member7
They are still working on them, apparently.

Rubbish.. it's just Microsoft being Microsoft. The decision to release the drivers (and perhaps a wireless dongle for it) will be the footnote on many meetings if it's discussed at all.

It will be lost in the Microsoft meeting grind until someone from "further up" pushes for it. And as we all know Microsoft doesn't give to shits about gaming on Windows unless its a shitty free to play game pushed though the equally shit Microsoft Windows Store.

LAA

Yes...yes it would be nice.
MajorNelson's words encourage me... but soon is pretty subjective...would be awesome if drivers are released at E3, but can't see it.

Draft

I don't know shit about coding, but how many man hours for coding some PC gamepad drivers? Like, 1,000? Would anyone at MS notice if a dozen of their engineers spent a month making drivers for the pad? The only reason this takes so long is that MS doesn't want to release PC drivers.

Top Bottom