• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Thoughts on Mass Effect Media (Book, Comic, Movie, Mobile)? When to read/watch each?

So I just finished the first Mass Effect yesterday and I'm interested in the expanded media of the franchise.

When is the best time to read/watch each one?

Apparently the first novel was released before the game. Did I make a mistake not reading it before playing? For the novels I understand Deception is non-canon nonsense but I still want to read it for fun anyway. So should I read the first two novels before Mass Effect 2 and the final two novels after 2?

Revelation, Ascension, Retribution and Deception:
Novelas.jpg

Do the two Mass Effect Omnibuses have all of the comics? Once again read order compared to games would be appreciated. Should some be read at specific points in the games?

Omnibus 1:
cKzHcOW.jpg

Includes: Redemption, Incursion, Inquisition, Evolution, Conviction, Invasion, and Homeworlds.

Omnibus 2:
1018280573.jpg

Includes: Foundation, He Who Laughs Best, and Blasto—Eternity is Forever.

The animated movie should be watched before 3 right?

Paragon Lost:
show_image_NpAdvSinglePhoto.php

I know that both the mobile games are unavailable. For Infiltrator since it was released on android is it still possible to get the APK and play it on my phone? Otherwise I guess I'll YouTube both. Galaxy before 2 and Infiltrator before 3.

Mass Effect Galaxy:
800px-10.jpg

Mass Effect Infiltrator:
450_1000.jpg

Also should I read Nexus Uprising before, after or during Andromeda?

Nexus Uprising:
388067_0.jpeg

An overall order would be greatly appreciated.

Also what thoughts do you have on the various extra pieces of media? What's the best and the worst? What do you think they did well and what did they offer that the games didn't.

Thanks for any responses.

Somewhere in GAF is a thread that has a comic form re-enactment of the book that came out just before Mass Effect 3. That's worth reading.

Fruitster

I enjoyed Revelation for what it was ,it has a good insight into Saren and how he operates. I've not caught any of the other books as yet though. Varying quality i'm told.

Phamit

You didn't make a mistake, by not reading the first book before the game. I would read it after it, because it doesn't have a lot of connection with the other two in the trilogy.

Malyse

DON'T FUCKING READ DECEPTION.
I'm more angry about that book than the way Andromeda was released.

Also, there are two more Andromeda novels coming.

iiicon

I tend to think a lot of tie-in media is pretty disposable, but BioWare managed to contract Catherynne M. Valente and N.K Jemisin, two of the finest writers in spec-fic with an eye (ear? hand?) for lovely prose, for two upcoming Mass Effect novels. So I'd say those two are worth looking forward to at the very least.

kcp12304

Banned
The first book features Anderson and leads right into ME1. Its been a while since I read the first 3 books but they're mostly short prequeals/side stories to the main games. Nothing that you have to know. They don't really expand on the lore or plot that much. OK books as far as video game books go. I only recommend it if Mass Effect got its hooks deep into you and you're craving for a bunch of Mass effect.

The comics are ok. Don't really like the art. Short side stories that fill in a bit of plot. Again, nothing important. They do feature companion characters and that's fun.

Don't bother with the mobile games.

Read the above posted rage comic of the fourth book.

Andromeda seems to have put Mass Effect on hiatus so I wouldn't really bother with that extra content. I'm personally disappointed with the new Universe they created.

The first three novels are okay. I'd say give them a read, as some of the novel characters do appear in ME3. Fourth novel is good for a laugh.

The comics are all over the place. Found most of them to be mediocre, honestly.

Jawmuncher

First off infiltrator is worth playing. You might need to grind at a spot for some money or something (Can't remember exactly). But it's really fun. Was hella impressed to be playing an almost console quality ME title (In terms of the combat it is linear).

I read the first 2 books and thought they were good. Also didn't think the movie was bad though at the same time it wasn't anything special.

Grisby

Revelation to Returbution are pretty decent and I haven't checked out Deception due to the negetive reaction (Kai-leng and that cereal).

Uprising reveals some stuff about Sloan and is an ok lead in to Andromeda but it's not as well written as Drew's stuff. Plus, Sloan isn't a huge part of Andromeda.

I played both games and the first with Jacob was a little diversion that was ok. Don't even remember the second IPhone game (story wise, gameplay is loads better than the first).

Top Bottom