• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

THQ and South Park Studios battling over South Park: Stick of Truth's fate/ownership

Vamphuntr

I think it has a chance to be a real success.

Really hard to guess right now as we have barely seen anything about the game outside of the fact it looks like South Park. In interviews they were saying they wanted it to be a kind of "my first RPG" too so I don't know if that's a good thing or not. I'm not sure the South Park brand is really as strong as it was before.

FyreWulff

They won't distribute it themselves. What they probably want to avoid here is being locked in a deal with a publisher not of their own choosing. For example, if Warner buys THQ wholesale, and if South Park is part of it, there could be a conflict of interest since Warner and Viacom are competitors.

They already technically did this via Lego Rock Band. A Warner / Viacom co-published game

Andrew.

Banned
Same could have been said about Batman,

I guess you've never played the original NES Batman then.

Or Return of The Joker.

Or Batman for Sega Genesis.

They were all great games. Batman went down shits creek as soon as the Batman Forever games released. Hell, even The Adventures of Batman & Robin games, while excruciantingly tough, were pretty decent.

There is no way to know how it'll play, it could have the same awful rock paper scissors turn based combat of costume quest for all we know (shudder).

How was the combat in Costume Quest anything like rock-paper-scissors? There was no guesswork involved! It was more like that other game, roshambo - you know, the one where you line up and take turns kicking each other in the nuts until someone falls over.

ThreeSixty

December 16, 2009. 4:00 AM. THE LIGHT FIELD is the force. The mind. That guides. Controls.
I can see why Matt and Trey wouldn't be happy with this. From what I've read they really enjoyed working on The Stick Of Truth and wanted it to be the definitive South Park game. Seeing that the game's publisher has gone under and watching the property be taken over by someone else can't be good news to read. I hope South Park Studios wins and take control over the property. Still also really looking forward to the game.

eggwolio

When was the last time any South Park console game was really successful? I can't think of any. The 64 game sucked, as did the Rally game for PSX. Am I missing any? How did that RTS type XBL game do?

The south park tower defense game was incredible. Some of the most fun I've ever had with multiplayer.

I think anybody who thinks this game will not be a success, at least with decent marketing, is crazy. This game appeals to a lot of people. And it should be damn awesome.

Top Bottom