• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

THQ in default with Wells Fargo over $50 million credit facility

• Thread starter Deleted member 102362
  • Start date
Relic+Valve would (probably) be a great match.
That said, it's also very unlikely, at least looking at Valve's track record.

They don't seem too fond of big purchases or publishing big budget third party products.
They usually like to hire talented small teams or modders, involving very low upfront investments with large chances of being profitable.

Valve plus relic is bad because then relic would have to use source engine. Ewww

THQ doesn't own warhammer so there is no worries there... it'll just get tossed over to another dev/publisher. All of those other titles too are money makers, they'll eventually just be bought up by a studio that can actually do something with it (and likely a lot of their developers will go with it, either through direct aquisition or from picking up employees after the fact)

They dont own Warhammer but they are currenly making good Warhammer games. Take AD&D for example, someone did great games with that license, Baldurs Gate, Ice Wind Dale, Planescape, Neverwinter Nights ,etc . Now other hands have the license and they been sucking for a while now.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Does this stuff mean that Darksiders II for Wii U may not even ship next week?

I'd think they have it printed and copies boxed at this point @_@

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Does this stuff mean that Darksiders II for Wii U may not even ship next week?

I'd think they have it printed and copies boxed at this point @_@

I'm pretty sure it'll ship, since it should be ready to go out the door by now. I doubt there'll ever be a Darksiders III though.

They will be taken over by the bank and the assets will be sold off in bits to make up for any losses. I expect that the Saints Row IP will fetch a fancy figure...

Come on Microsoft. Here's your chance to get some better 1st party support. You're about the only publisher that works in this space that has that kind of capital and the audience for the games (PC and Console). Valve would be another potential. I honestly just want Saints Row 4. :)

Sentenza

Come on Microsoft. Here's your chance to get some better 1st party support. You're about the only publisher that works in this space that has that kind of capital and the audience for the games (PC and Console).
Honestly as a PC gamer I wold prefer even infamous companies like EA and Activision to platform owners like Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo.

On the other hand, someone suggested Square Enix. I would be fine with that, judging how they handled their multiplatform games so far.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
Man THQ is in bad shape, seems their only way out now is for them to be sold to some other publisher. The latest bomcast mentioned square as a possible buyer which seems as something that could happen.

Santiako

Man THQ is in bad shape, seems their only way out now is for them to be sold to some other publisher. The latest bomcast mentioned square as a possible buyer which seems as something that could happen.
No one will buy thq as a whole, it wouldn't make sense.

4A own themselves, but the Metro IP and all their assets are owned by THQ, right?
The Metro IP is owned by Dmitry Glukhovsky, who wrote the book it's adapted from. He and 4A can likely just find a new publisher if THQ goes down. He's also in talks for a film adaptation.

_machine

The Metro IP is owned by Dmitry Glukhovsky, who wrote the book it's adapted from. He and 4A can likely just find a new publisher if THQ goes down. He's also in talks for a film adaptation.
I meant the rights to the game IP and it's technology (for now), but you're right; it shouldn't be a problem in the future because the actual IP is owned by Glukhovsky.

This.... I haven't bought a WWE game since the N64 days.

Same I think the last one I played had brock on the cover or the rock I can't remember and of course the RAW one on xbox I think all I know is I want a different developer to get a stab at it. (I also know they will probably limit the amount of CAW creation and probably have less modes like usual when a new developer creates a franchise game from the beginning)

I just hope the IPs go with the studios associated with them (Vigil with Darksiders, Relic with COH/Homeworld, Volition with Saints Row/Red Faction). Would be a shame to have them split up.

I meant the rights to the game IP and it's technology (for now), but you're right; it shouldn't be a problem in the future because the actual IP is owned by Glukhovsky.
I'm not 100%, but I believe 4A mostly self funded 2033, THQ funded 2034/LL. I'd imagine 4A holds a larger stake in this than the usual developer/publisher relationship, but I'm sure THQ would still need to be "paid out" for their part by any new publisher.

_machine

I'm not 100%, but I believe 4A mostly self funded 2033, THQ funded 2034/LL. I'd imagine 4A holds a larger stake in this than the usual developer/publisher relationship, but I'm sure THQ would still need to be "paid out" for their part by any new publisher.
Oh, I wasn't sure which is why asked, but that should be better situation for 4A if THQ goes under than if Metro and all their tech was owned by THQ.

Marche90

How is it possible for a company to get THIS bad? I mean, I knew that THQ wasn't exactly in the best position, but this? wow. They really had terrible management and/or sales projection

It's much cheaper and easier to wait for it to go under and buy the ips or talent alone, without all the debt and extra baggage.

Plus there's large parts of THQ that would be useless to other publishers, I'd say their 4 studios (they have 4 now right?) could all be sold fairly easily to publishers though

if they die will CoH 2 never happen?!

I'd imagine Relic could be sold fairly easily if they're profitable, would be a good fit for Sega

shaowebb

Im just gonna call this one early...EA will pick up the WWE license once these guys fold. They already went in on the UFC license and with the Fight Night editor I could see create a character being worth something in terms of making good looking characters. The problem is will they get that wrestling is about 3 stage movement which is

• the tie up position
  • the lift or dropping movement
  • the fall positions

THQ has been animating the whole damned move for everything and it ends up creating a lot of canned and redundant counters (if any). The truth is every tie up has a list of counters depending on your style For Example:

Hammerlock tie up would be countered by shooters with a squat and pull of the opponents leg to trip them while a technician would likely counter it into a top wrist lock

... and at any stage of the move there is a counter for each part you go through. Shooters counter more at the tie up, technicians more during the lift (along with power and brawler types), and luchas tend to counter a lot during the drop and sometimes during the lift. On top of that each type of wrestler counters differently in any of those than the others and if you made the game a long string of position based sequences each new positions has its own tree of possible counters on it for each wrestler style. Its all really organized and easy to manage this way.

If they do each move as a 3 stage set it means the move can be countered differently at any stage and honestly mash and hope for counters is BS. It should be a stamina burn or meter burn option to make it a risk reward sentiment. There are a lot of factors that need to be involved to create an accurate wrestling game experience thats fast, technical, and new every time you play it and NONE of them have been addressed due to THQ phoning it in on the license for over a decade. Plus if moves are designed in 3 stages we can FINALLY get a real create a move option as we could choose our setup position, the lift or drop style, and our landing style on any move. What we have now is create a spot because stringing together multiple moves is a highspot and NOT a finisher. Create a submission is a whole other beast to come up with later on.

Im done ranting on wrestling games I guess. Its just I am a major fan of wrestling games since the old No Mercy days were so good to me in High School and since I was a wrestler at one point. Heaven help me if I ever get the chance I want to work on a wrestling game in some point in my career.

jcm

How is it possible for a company to get THIS bad? I mean, I knew that THQ wasn't exactly in the best position, but this? wow. They really had terrible management and/or sales projection

The murder weapon:

H9aoF.jpg

If I was a bookmaker, I'll give evens on CoH 2 getting canned in the event of THQ declaring bankruptcy before its release.

CoH 2 will get released, Relic might be closed the second it goes Gold but the game is too close to release to not get picked up by someone else if THQ goes bankrupt

Grayman

This news is probably the best thing that could happen for WWE games to get good again.
No more complacency and an actual decent engine.

Just like losing some other dinosaurs <cough> Vince <cough> would be the best thing that could happen to the WWE to lose complacency in Creative booking.

THQ does not own Yukes. There is a good chance that the WWE games will go to a new publisher but keep the same developer.

Grayman

There is probably going to be a cash flow problem for these studios as THQ dies. South Park will come out for sure but the slow death of THQ, legal wrangling, and time to purchase may delay an influx of cash long enough that Obsidian cannot make payroll.

Culex

Banned
THQ should have stayed with just the Wii version of Udraw. Made them so much money, yet they just HAD to invest in a PS3 / 360 version.

Eusis

THQ should have stayed with just the Wii version of Udraw. Made them so much money, yet they just HAD to invest in a PS3 / 360 version.
Seems like an extreme example of why multiplatform =/= inherently the best option. It's great to hit as many as you can, but sometimes there just isn't ANYONE there, nevermind the compromises you may need to make (this is usually in reverse though). Though I guess if the pad were more universal and came out the same time it'd be a relative non-issue instead.

PaulLFC

Damn :( They have some very good franchises, I hope they at least get picked up and given sequels by other publishers (with the original devs working on them). Too much to hope for?

Derrick01

Banned

Bad games, bad business decisions, too many licensed games.

Ah well here's to South Park/Obsidian getting to work with a better and more stable publisher.

Shit. I have CoH2 and metro last light preordered, I wonder what's going to happen with them.

I think the only THQ game guaranteed so far is Darksiders 2 for the U. Anything else is up in the air at the moment I reckon.

I'd say it's only a matter of time before they go under and the developers and IPs are available to the highest bidders. I still say it would be a wise idea for Nintendo to buy the publisher. They could probably buy the publisher, developers and IPs in one go for 30-50m, they'd need to pay off 100m worth of debts but would gain all of their studios, IPs (including those currently in development) and distribution channels in the West.

And tying some valuable IPs and licencing deals in the process including WWE, Company of Heroes, Red Faction, South Park, Metro, Darksiders and Saints Row. Should be worth spending 150m imo, particularly to get those IPs exclusive to Nintendo platforms.

DTKT

I think the only THQ game guaranteed so far is Darksiders 2 for the U. Anything else is up in the air at the moment I reckon.

I'd say it's only a matter of time before they go under and the developers and IPs are available to the highest bidders. I still say it would be a wise idea for Nintendo to buy the publisher. They could probably buy the publisher, developers and IPs in one go for 30-50m, they'd need to pay off 100m worth of debts but would gain all of their studios, IPs (including those currently in development) and distribution channels in the West.

And tying some valuable IPs and licencing deals in the process including WWE, Company of Heroes, Red Faction, South Park, Metro, Darksiders and Saints Row. Should be worth spending 150m imo, particularly to get those IPs exclusive to Nintendo platforms.

Company of Heroes, Darksiders, Red Faction and Metro are not super valuable IPs. COH is a PC centric game with no potential on consoles, Darksiders 2 bombed, Red Faction died with Armageddon both at retail and with critics and Metro barely sold 1.5 mil during it's lifetime.

Those are not high value franchises.

Should be worth spending 150m imo, particularly to get those IPs exclusive to Nintendo platforms.

How is anyone going to bring THQ into profitability? The problem is that there is no guarantee that those IPs will cover all that debt and the buyout. The IPs also lose a lot of their value being on one platform. If Nintendo does get involved it will be to try and get a specific IP.

AHA-Lambda

Years of mismanagement best illuminated by:

1.) Sticking with a toxic licensed game business well beyond the point licensed games died.
2.) Trying to break into AAA core gaming in an increasingly polarized market without the money to actually do so.

Anyone who says "uDraw" is just looking at one of the last failures in over half a decade of problematic management.

Can I ask then, why are Activision, of all people, still in this market? o_O

Top Bottom