• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

THQ Q3 Results: $56M Loss, SR3 = 3.8M, $47.7M Cash Left, [Stock Drops 30%]

Status
Not open for further replies.
"We intend to end the fiscal year with a cash balance of $25 million and no debt."

Its good they don't have any debt but considering they have the ability to use $50m overdraft (thats what it is effectively I think) why not... use it. They sound pretty fucked as it is, at least go out with a bang!

Do they not have a WWE title for March?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
"We have significantly increased the marketing campaign for Metro" (and delayed it to Q1 2013).

Is this really the best bet? I mean, I guess it's about as good a chance as the rest of their slate, but still.

Also:

"We're seeking a partner for our MMO."

Forever

Banned
Wait if their stock price continues dropping, aren't they at risk of being delisted?

Wouldn't that essentially kill the company?

Dueck

Banned
That's kind of sad, really. THQ is by no means a bad company. It's good to see they aren't fool, and are abandoning the shovelware industry. I can not wait for the new Darksiders!

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
THQ just noted that they're about half the size they were entering this year.

So... they've laid off about half their staff in a year.

Busty

Banned
They also bet pretty heavily on Homefront. That somehow had a production budget of 35-50m.

WHAT?!

I picked that game up for five quid the other day.

I assumed that THQ gave the sequel to Crytek to develop as a cost cutting measure.

Now I'm not so sure.

THQ just noted that they're about half the size they were entering this year.

So... they've laid off about half their staff in a year.

Also, the guy who asked about the kids games contract raised a decent point about ending the contracts.

Based on 1.5m expected sales of UFC, they are still expecting the cash to reduce to $25m... is it because they're intending to pay their way out of these contracts?

They also suggested the kids games were profitable but profitability was declining? If thats the case, why not keep making them a little longer especially if they are still in contracts.

WHAT?!

I assumed that THQ gave the sequel to Crytek to develop as a cost cutting measure.

Now I'm not so sure.

With production costs of $35 million to $50 million and tens of millions more to advertise, Homefront is the most expensive video game THQ has produced. The company must sell 2 million copies just to break even, a company executive said.

http://articles.latimes.com/2011/mar/15/business/la-fi-ct-thq-bilson-20110315

They also suggested the kids games were profitable but profitability was declining? If thats the case, why not keep making them a little longer especially if they are still in contracts.
That was about fiscal 2011. I think they aren't expecting that to be profitable for fiscal 2013 (which we'll be entering in a few months).

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
WHAT?!

Now I'm not so sure.
Homefront must have broke even; I think they needed 2 million sales to do that. The funny thing is, bad reviews for that game caused their share prices to go down by 21%. It was $4.5 something.

HylianTom

Banned
2 million? Really?

Something is very wrong when 2 million sales are needed to break-even on a project that isn't quadruple-A. It's like they haven't learned a damn thing about sustainable business modeling. Holy shit, THQ..
I feel sorry for those who lose their jobs, but damn if the decision-makers in charge aren't some kind of slow.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
2 million? Really?

Something is very wrong when 2 million sales are needed to break-even on a project that isn't quadruple-A. It's like they haven't learned a damn thing about sustainable business modeling. Holy shit, THQ..
I feel sorry for those who lose their jobs, but damn if the decision-makers in charge aren't some kind of slow.
Kaos Studios didn't do a good job with that game (they were shutdown by THQ). It didn't look like a big budget title in the first place. But luckily for them, it was marketed heavily, so they ended up selling a decent amount of copies.

JimiNutz

Banned
THQ do actually put out some really good games :(
I'll def be buying UFC 3 at (or close) to launch. Think I'll pick up Darkseiders 2 as well and prob that South Park game.
That's 3 game sales right there, I dunno what they're worried about??!!! :(

Well, it was supposed to be an AAA title. It just...wasn't.

It just wasn't a $60 game, all around.

Yeh, I got it for £5 back in August and i've given it a go. Its quite fun but theres absolutely nothing about it that suggests it was supposed to be one of the top game franchises even if the setting is intriguing.

Busty

Banned
Homefront must have broke even; I think they needed 2 million sales to do that. The funny thing is, bad reviews for that game caused their share prices to go down by 21%. It was $4.5 something.

I'm really not surprised. In fact it just showed how desperate THQ were that they had to go for broke (quite literally) and try and get some of that Modern Warfare cash pile for themselves.

And with advertising on top of that the investment in Homefront could easily have been $55-75m.

That is utter, utter insanity.

MYeager

"That bridge [uDraw] turned out to be a plank we walked off of" haha.

While that is certainly a major reason for their current situation, how they've managed the licenses they've purchased and the studios they've bought is another significant factor. They've published some great games, but then have managed to take the studios that have made those games and slash their staff or close them through inept management.

And 25 million and no debt by the end of the fiscal year? I'd be interested in seeing how exactly they plan on paying off their long term debt, or for that matter how they plan on being able to finance any higher budget game development. The change between one generation to the next console generation is always much more expensive.

They did the EXACT SAME THING with deBlob. Take moderate Wii success, port sequel up to PS3 and 360. Result?

RIP Blue Tongue.

Eh, the two big complaints about the first game were 1) the shitty Wii resolution compromised the game's visuals, and 2) the Wii remote made the game control like shit. Releasing the sequel on modern consoles was the answer to both of these and was really all they could do if they didn't want to dump the series. I think the real problem with the sequel was the horrid release date. It released the same day as Bulletstorm and Killzone 3.

Eh, the two big complaints about the first game were 1) the shitty Wii resolution compromised the game's visuals, and 2) the Wii remote made the game control like shit. Releasing the sequel on modern consoles was the answer to both of these and was really all they could do if they didn't want to dump the series. I think the real problem with the sequel was the horrid release date. It released the same day as Bulletstorm and Killzone 3.
De Blob 2 should have been a smaller XBLA/PSN/Steam release. It could have done decent. Or just a Wii title, since it fits that audience better.

FLEABttn

Banned
Yeh, I got it for £5 back in August and i've given it a go. Its quite fun but theres absolutely nothing about it that suggests it was supposed to be one of the top game franchises even if the setting is intriguing.

Yeah for like $10 you're getting your money's worth. It was a good idea with a sorely lacking execution. And a multi-player that went to waste because of significant technical issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom