• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Thunderbolt Fantasy |OT| From the writer of Madoka & F/Z, Sword Travels from the East

Status
Not open for further replies.

Narag

v1zCe5d.jpg

Occasionally something comes along in the anime thread that we feel deserves a little more exposure so we’ll end up making a more focused OT in the OT for people who want to discuss a particular show without the extraneous stuff normally found within a community thread. This is one of those cases and I’m not even someone that likes making threads but Thunderbolt Fantasy left such a great impression on me that I figured it should be shared.

What is it?
Well, it’s not anime. It’s actually a puppet show using a form of puppetry called Potehi. It’s not stop-motion animation either, the puppetry is filmed and effects are added later to give the action some real intensity. I know this sounds a bit out there but bear with me as I let the PVs do the talking. They illustrate the concept far better than I could ever articulate.
The first episode is about a travelling swordsman becoming embroiled in a local conflict that he’s unable to escape. There’s an emphasis on action which carries the episode as one’s eager to see what kind of crazy fights are next. Urobuchi's a big wuxia nerd and the production company has been making this stuff for years in Taiwan so it should be in great hands.

Who’s making it?
Per Crunchyroll’s news post -
Gen Urobuchi is serving as scenario writer, screen writer, and supervisor for Thunderbolt Fantasy - Dōng lí jiàn yóujì ("Sword Travels from the East") a Japanese / Taiwan co-production in the form of a Wuxia fantasy puppet show. The staff announced includes:
Series composition, screen writing, and supervision: Gen Urobuchi (Nitroplus)
Puppetry, camerawork: Pili International Multimedia
Character design: Nitroplus
Modeling advisor: Good Smile Company Production: Thunderbolt Fantasy Project
Music: Hiroyuki Sawano

hlwrnsMl.jpg

Kōsuke Toriumi as the voice of Lǐn Xuě Yā.

VCnuPlHl.jpg

Junichi Suwabe as the voice of Shāng Bù Huàn.

hswSg2Jl.jpg

Mai Nakahara as the voice of Dān Fēi.

5a5HGnKl.jpg

And Tomokazu Seki as the voice of Miè Tiān Hái.

Where can I watch it?
Crunchyroll licensed it and itstarted airing yesterday for Premium members who will get a new episode every Friday at 12:00 EDT. Free members will get the show on a week delay. The pre-broadcast special episode 0 is available for everyone. It features some behind-the-scenes looks at how this type of show is made and some staff interviews.
Not a member but want to check it out? I have a couple guest passes I need to get rid of so here you go. I assume they’ll go fast so don’t be disappointed if they don’t work late.

V6XTVNWKP7Q
UTC6YZ66ESW

But is it any good?
Well, don’t just take my word for it.
Thunderbolt Fantasy 01 - Good stuff. The lead characters are cool and the action is great. Sawano's music may be a bit overblown, particularly if you already don't like him.

EDIT: Also
the villain of the episode decapitating himself so his boss could use his severed head to retrieve his final memories was cool as hell

Thunderbolt Fantasy 1
JjnYtlxl.png
yBV3PuGl.png

Ft856nil.png
Sg2JhTdl.jpg

VycEjwFl.jpg
Ge4D6SWl.jpg

Everything I wanted it to be. Sawano's perfect for this shit too and that comes from someone usually annoyed by his work. :lol I hope people give this a chance!

Thunderbolt Fantasy #1

Damn some good action here with these puppets. The puppets so nicely done too, especially with the two I saw personally at AX.

Thunderbolt Fantasy #1

YESSSSS. This was awesome.
Badass fights and Sawano is fucking perfect for this.

Thunderbolt Fantasy - 01

I love it [sound]

As my mind was trying to digest this previously unknown art form, I'm pretty sure I had a big dumb grin the entire episode

Woah, lots of interesting things today:
Thunderbolt Fantasy

Who knew that a show with puppets on this day and age could be so entertaining. Great action..

Thunderbolt Fantasy 1

Holy shitballs this is amazing

Thunderbolt Fantasy 1

This is total nonsense.

The best total nonsense.

Thunderbolt Fantasy 1

When anime has a puppet show
b3Dv4ej.gif

Meanwhile in America
N0CDoV4.gif

I take back any doubt I had over this masterpiece. This might be anime of the forever. Only downside is the fucking Attack on Titan S2 soundtrack sneaking into the show.

Thunderbolt Fantasy 01

Holy crap the budget and sakuga are so high it looks real. Someone tell off topic.

This was fuckin' awesome. I'm so into this, even with the Sawano which is somewhat hilarious. The sound effects are extremely goofy, I can't tell if that is on purpose or not. The dude cutting his own head off was some amazing bullshit.

Thunderbolt Fantasy episode 1

I think the only thing I didn't like was the CG for the skeleton dragon things. Those reminded me way too much of Godzilla (2000). But other than that, It was shockingly entertaining. Everything else had really good looking effects, the fights were super energetic, and the puppetry was handled super well.

Anime might just be saved by puppets and fantastic fighting effects.

Thunderbolt Fantasy 1

That was good, so entertaining and over the top.

Thunderbolt Fantasy

I'm glad I lived long enough to see this.

Thunderbolt 1
I had no idea what to expect, but damm that was good. The sword play was some dope shit. If like all of the fights are going to be like that I'm going to be so happy.

Thunderbolt Fantasy - 01

Is this some kind of meme show? This better be go-

Oh my god.

Narag

And for a bit more insight, haly did some work for the rest of us:

Why I'm doing this? Here, have a Thunderbolt Glossary.

I don't speak Chinese natively and I felt the harsh, withering gaze of my ancestors as I looked up the hanzi and tried to put together my own interpretations of the vocabulary. One thing you should know about wuxia, and medieval China in general, is the variety of names every person has. You have the given name, which everyone is familiar with, but also a style name, which is a mark of adulthood. Sometimes it's given by the parents, or the teacher/sifu/sensei, sometimes it's self chosen. Liu Bei's style name was Xuangde. The official page calls it "street name" in Japanese but I don't think that's very epic. I've included a literal translation and a poetic one, using all my knowledge of mono no aware. I err on the side of hanzi but I looked up the definitions in kanji as well to get a sense of what Butch and gang were going for when the Chinese didn't make sense. I don't know of any idioms that I might've passed over by doing it like this, although I caught one in Mie Tian Hai's name.

p_rin.jpg

Given Name: 凜雪鴉 (Lǐn Xuě Yā) -
Austere Snow Crow
Style Name: 掠風竊塵 (Lüè Fēng Qiè Chén) -
Sweeping Wind Secret Dust OR Wind Skimming over the Secret Earth
Pseudonym: 鬼鳥 (Guǐ Niǎo) -
Ghost Bird

p_syou.jpg

Given Name: 殤不患 (Shāng Bù Huàn) -
Early Death Do Not Suffer OR Do Not Suffer an Early Death
Style Name: 刃無鋒 (Rèn Wú Fēng) -
Bladeedge Without Point OR Tipless Blade

p_tanhi.jpg

Given Name: 丹翡 (Dān Fěi) -
Cinnabar Kingfisher OR Rust-colored Kingfisher

p_tankou.jpg

Given Name: 丹衡 (Dān Héng) -
Cinnabar Weight (as in measurement) OR Rust-colored Scale

p_betu.jpg

Given Name: 蔑天骸 (Miè Tiān Hái) -
Belittle Sky Bones OR Ignore the Bones of Heaven
Style Name: 森羅枯骨 (Sēn Luó Kū Gǔ) -
Joined Together Dried Bones OR Endless Chain of Withered Bones

p_zankyou.jpg

Given Name: 殘凶 (Cán Xiōng) -
Leftover Disaster OR Evil that Remains

Keywords:
窮暮之戰 (qióng mù zhī zhàn) -
Poor Sunset's Battle OR The War of the Last Destitute Days (Apocalypse? End of the World?)
神誨魔械 (shén huì mó xiè) -
God Instruct Magic Machine OR Machine that Teaches Evil Magic
護印師 (hù yìn shī) -
Protect Engrave Teacher OR Protectors of the Teacher's Seal
丹輝劍訣・飛霞行月 (dān huī jiàn jué・fēi xiá háng yuè) -
Cinnabar Radiance Sword Secret・Fly Red Clouds Journey Moon OR Secret of the Rust-colored Radiant Sword・Fly through Haze to Journey to the Moon
丹輝劍訣・流陽凌日 (dān huī jiàn jué・liú yáng líng rì) - Cinnabar Radiance Sword Secret・
Flow (as with water) Sunlight Approach Sun OR Secret of the Rust-colored Radiant Sword・Flow through Sunlight to Surpass the Sun
玄鬼宗 (xuán guǐ zōng) -
Black Devil Sect (see: Black Turtle)

Sources:
http://www.thunderboltfantasy.com/
https://www.mdbg.net
http://tangorin.com/
my ass

Feel free to add anything to this to help educate the rest of us about something this cool.

jonjonaug

Please watch "episode 0" as well before watching the first episode, it's a mini-doc of sorts that aired before the premiere of the first episode in Japan. It goes into detail on how the series came about and also how it was filmed. You can skip the episode 1 preview at the end of it since the actual episode 1 is already out.

EDIT: And yes, this was awesome as heck. I was expecting this because Urobuchi at his worst still produces "good" work, and he's been extremely enthusiastic about this on twitter and in interviews. It's his first completely original work since he started writing screenplays instead of novels and visual novels. All of his anime and tokusatsu work was contracted with varying degrees of freedom allowed to him.

This show is legit as fuck.

I mean, I'm an Urobutcher fan but still, I was not expecting the quality of the puppets, the choreography of the fights and the effects to look so good.

This surpassed all my expectations.

jonjonaug

To give a little more detail on the involved parties:

Gen Urobuchi is a writer who got his start working on visual novels in 2000, writing titles such as Phantom of Inferno and Saya no Uta. In recent years his name has become very popular among anime fans with critically and commercially successful works such as Madoka Magica, Fate/Zero, Expelled From Paradise, and Psycho-Pass. He also served as the head writer for the recent tokusatsu show Kamen Rider Gaim, which featured a large departure from the monster of the week style plots the franchise is famous for, instead focusing on an intricate plot that moved at a breakneck pace from week to week. Basically he's one of the very few writers involved in the anime industry who's name is worth knowing. He's won multiple awards from both fan-driven and critic-driven outlets for his screenplays (Madoka winning basically every award it could qualify for in 2011 and Psycho-Pass earning a few as well). Thunderbolt Fantasy is the first project he's worked on that isn't a novel or visual novel where he's credited as the original creator and has complete creative freedom.

Nitroplus is a company founded in the year 2000 that started out publishing visual novels, but has since expanded in various directions. In addition to their own original work including various visual novels, Super Sonico, and Tokuen Ranbu, they've also worked with various other companies on various other projects including anime, manga, tokusatsu, visual novels, light novels, and so on. The Science Adventure series (Chaos;Head, Steins;Gate, etc.) was developed by 5pb in conjunction with Nitroplus, for example. Their artists have contributed to various other works such as Space Dandy, Valvrave the Liberator, Muv Luv, and others. Their writers have also contributed to other projects in addition to their own works. In addition to Urobuchi writing the scripts, designers from Nitroplus provided the initial deigns for the characters in the show that were later adapted into puppet form.

Goodsmile Company is a company that produces various anime goods, but is mostly known for their work producing posable figures. They'll be producing merchandise based on the show and apparently helped with some of the design elements.

Pili International Multimedia is a Taiwanese company that produces puppet shows using hollow puppets and a mixture of CGI techniques and traditional filming. They have their own pretty basic English website, I recommend taking a look. You can also find examples of their work pretty easily on Youtube, if you want to know what to expect for this series.

Alric

So I went into this blind thinking I was just about to watch another random anime from this season. First 10-15 seconds I was thinking "man, I can't believe there is a weird CG anime". Then it dawned it was puppetry and I couldn't stop watching. It was like meshing Anime with The Dark Crystal.

Mokoi

Banned
I watched this on a whim, and was thinking lmao puppets some team America shit. However, dam I was completely surprised how good this ended up being. There was action going on in the very beginning, and was blown away at how cool the shit looked with puppets. The special effects are great especially when the dirt blows at explosions. Totally didn’t expect puppets to blow up like that. It was an action packed episode, and dam the sword fights are really cool. I’m so glad this was made.

That's some slick production I've gotta say.

But fuck me if it isn't deserving some proper, unique OST over this generic Sawano rehash. That guy is working like clockwork but surely also sounds like that.

jonjonaug

That's some slick production I've gotta say.

But fuck me if it isn't deserving some proper, unique OST over this generic Sawano rehash. That guy is working like clockwork but surely also sounds like that.

Comparing the soundtrack of Thunderbolt Fantasy so far to Urobuchi's other wuxia work, Kikokugai, is pretty disheartening.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fb-0wldFwA4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Abvd553-_Z4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YP-2PwmX7rA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yx52EOHt280

shaowebb

Wait...THE Madoka Magicka guy did this? The same guy who did Kamen Rider Gaim?

Holy shit I'm sold. Dude took magical girls, and a Kamen Rider show themed on dancing and fruit themed samurai and somehow made BOTH into incredibly dark and twisted stories. Its like this guy creates insanely dark and deep stories then tries to find the oddest package to wrap them in just to show that you can tell a good story in spite of any aesthetic trapping.

If the dude who did Gaim and Madoka says they can make something incredible with puppets I believe it.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Thunderbolt fantasy 1
Way cooler than my expectation. the puppet choreography was awesome, and Sawano music fit right in with how every cast ham their every dialogue. My only complaint was seriously bad cg everytime a monster appear. Other than that, it' a solid show.

Holy there is a Taiwan 臺灣話 version . My grand mother will be please if she was still alive as she is Hokkien and 臺灣話 is similar . Now not sure which one i should watch .

qcf x2

I just finished the first episode. It was amazing. Same writer as Madoka and Fate Zero? Now it all makes sense.

Thunderbolt Fantasy 01

This was quite the pleasant little surprise! And just what I needed to cheer myself up after all the exhausting news this week in America.

I am one-hundred percent down for watching this. Great action, great dialogue, and intriguing characters. I hope Lǐn Xuě Yā will be part the main group, even if he doesn't do anything besides lay back and throw shade at villains during battles.

Aki-at

Wasn't even my radar.

Now every week is going to seem like a drag whilst I wait for some more sweet sweet puppet sword fighting action.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
When I saw Shāng Bù Huàn go past those dudes with his umbrella I knew he was going to do the umbrella thing, and he did the umbrella thing, and it was awesome.

Narag

No one has claimed the second guest pass in the OP if somebody out there is still curious about the show.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
I watched this last night. Its stunning in every way. The concept, the execution. Butch is the best. Even Sawano was somehow good for this.

Also the first time in my life where I wished I was as badass as a puppet.

Urobuchi is doing this? I wonder what the partway through gut-punch of a a story twist will be. Honestly they could just play this completely straight on the strength of the concept and execution alone.

They really seem to be taking advantage of this not being animated to give the characters some crazy elaborate costumes. If you don't have to redraw mad retails every panel or frame why not?

Whooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooa

This is the best puppetry since this guy:

jGQiGOh.gif

Also: TA:WP was the greatest comedy of the last decade and that fight scene is about 5% of why.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom