• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tig Notaro speaks on the various Louis CK sexual misconduct allegations:

Tig Notaro speaks on the various Louis CK sexual misconduct allegations:

Louis C.K.'s presence in the opening credits carries an extra level of dissonance this season because a large part of the show's plot revolves around sexual assault. Specifically, we see a character forced to sit and watch as a man in power surreptitiously masturbates in front of her in the workplace.

But as Notaro—creator and star of the Amazon series, which begins its second season next month—tells The Daily Beast, he has ”nothing to do with the show."
”He's never been involved," she clarifies. When I tell her that most people who watch the show probably assume he plays some role since he's listed as an executive producer, she says, ”I know they do."
”It's frustrating, because he has nothing to do with the show," Notaro adds. And that frustration is apparent in her voice. ”But I don't waste my time on him or what anyone thinks. His name is on it. But we are writing the show, the writers' room. We're sitting in editing. We're acting. We're on set. We're doing press. And everyone that's directly involved in the show works very hard. They are decent, talented human beings. And I feel lucky to be surrounded by them."

”I think it's important to take care of that, to handle that, because it's serious to be assaulted," Notaro says in response. ”It's serious to be harassed. It's serious, it's serious, it's serious."
”And that's what we want to do with this show," she continues. ”We of course want to create comedy, but we also really, really feel like we have the opportunity to do something with One Mississippi, because it does not stop. And, you know, I walk around doing shows at comedy clubs and you just hear from people left and right of what some big-shot comedian or person has done. People just excuse it."

http://www.thedailybeast.com/tig-no...-misconduct-rumors?source=twitter&via=desktop

I love Notaro and generally trust her opinion on things. I love CK and my wife worships his stand-up. Rumors about this have been going around for a long while now, but Notaro saying what she's saying (particularly since CK and her used to be quite friendly) just feels off.

Edited: to better reflect the article and my current thoughts. Also deleted the Rosanne stuff because Rosanne is apparently a nut and I had no idea.

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?
It doesn't sound like Notaro confirmed anything? The only mention specifically comes from Roseanne.

It doesn't sound like Notaro confirmed anything? The only mention specifically comes from Roseanne.

Not anything specific, but, for someone who used to have a very chummy relationship with CK (He was pivotal to her finding mainstream coverage), she clearly refuses to say anything defensive of him, instead choosing to add more smoke.

Futureman

wait Louis CK is listed in the credits but Tig says multiple times that he has absolutely nothing to do with the show. How does that make sense?

It doesn't seem like Tig knows something that she isn't letting out, just that she wants Louis to clear the air instead of ignoring the issue.

Switch Back 9

Not anything specific, but, for someone who used to have a very chummy relationship with CK (He was pivotal to her finding mainstream coverage), she clearly refuses to say anything defensive of him, instead choosing to add more smoke.

Looks to me more like she's just pissed he's getting an EP credit but didn't do any work.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Louis C.K.’s presence in the opening credits carries an extra level of dissonance this season because a large part of the show’s plot revolves around sexual assault. Specifically, we see a character forced to sit and watch as a man in power surreptitiously masturbates in front of her in the workplace.

That's literally what C.K. is alleged to have done.

Looks to me more like she's just pissed he's getting an EP credit but didn't do any work.

But when she's asked about the allegations this is her response:

“I think it’s important to take care of that, to handle that, because it’s serious to be assaulted,” Notaro says in response. “It’s serious to be harassed. It’s serious, it’s serious, it’s serious.”

I'm not saying she isn't pissed about his EP credit, she probably is, but a response like this from woman who is very connected in the community but who's also held in high esteem by CK implies more against CK than it does exonerate him.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
wait Louis CK is listed in the credits but Tig says multiple times that he has absolutely nothing to do with the show. How does that make sense?

It doesn't seem like Tig knows something that she isn't letting out, just that she wants Louis to clear the air instead of ignoring the issue.
Welcome to show business.

I've directed the voice work for more than one AAA video game and am not even in the credits for that game. I've written stuff I'm not credited for too. I've had executive producers on films that literally nobody ever met in person.

It makes more sense in the middle of everything.

Damn this is one misleading thread title.

You're inferring a whole bunch from her seemingly just talking about an EP credit...

I didn't say she confirmed them. The thread title is literally: Tig Notaro speaks on various Louis CK sexual misconduct allegations. Which is true. That is literally what she does in the article.

Switch Back 9

But when she's asked about the allegations this is her response:

I'm not saying she isn't pissed about his EP credit, she probably is, but a response like this from woman who is very connected in the community but who's also held in high esteem by CK implies more against CK than it does exonerate him.

Yeah but she literally didn't say anything about him in that respect, at all. Infer all you want but your title is total clickbait for what's actually said in the article.

I didn't say she confirmed them. The thread title is literally: Tig Notaro speaks on various Louis CK sexual misconduct allegations. Which is true. That is literally what she does in the article.

Except she didn't. She doesn't mention HIM + sexual assault once. You're placing your own inference on this whole thing.

Yeah but she literally didn't say anything about him in that respect, at all. Infer all you want but your title is total clickbait for what's actually said in the article.

Except she didn't. She doesn't mention HIM + sexual assault once. You're placing your own inference on this whole thing.

The author makes clear he asked her to comment on the sexual assault situation. This is her response. I literally posted that she responded. I'm not getting the issue here.

It's incredibly passive aggressive. If she believes he did it, why not say that. If she doesn't believe he did it, why leave it on an open ended note?

I found this exchange in the article particularly weird:

Notaro says that she and C.K. had “an incident” before One Mississippi even started, but she declines to offer any specifics. “We don’t talk since then,” she says. “So as far as what he’s doing or what he’s done…” At that point she trails off and asks me if C.K. has ever “acknowledged” the sexual-misconduct allegations against him.
I tell her that the only time he has ever publicly acknowledged their existence was in an interview with Vulture’s David Marchese last June.

I'd be inclined to guess that CK was an EP on One Mississppi before any of this ever came to Tig. Tig's refusal to talk about whatever this "incident" was, along with her questions about if he confronted the allegations...it's just such a weird thing to get at.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Louis C.K.’s presence in the opening credits carries an extra level of dissonance this season because a large part of the show’s plot revolves around sexual assault. Specifically, we see a character forced to sit and watch as a man in power surreptitiously masturbates in front of her in the workplace.

word?

well that doesn't sound familiar at all.

I don't think CK will ever talk about this shit and until someone comes out with evidence or a Cosby level amount of women decide to speak out nothing will come of this. Even if everyone subs at Louis that's all it'll be until more women and people abused by him (allegedly) say something or do something about it.

Boem

Yeah I've heard stories going around about this for years. Comedy is a hard business, especially for women, and CK is one of the most influential modern comics. I hate how people in power try to misuse that and seem to get away with that so often.

It really sucks how many people immediately dismiss these stories because of CK's fame and likeability. I get it, I'm a huge fan of some of his work as well. But that doesn't excuse anything. You can appear as a reasonable and nice person on stage/screen, but this story has been growing for years now. Tig's attitude here is very telling indeed.

I wonder if anyone is ever going the legal route with this. The stories are there but nothing ever seemed to happen on that front.

It's incredibly passive aggressive. If she believes he did it, why not say that. If she doesn't believe he did it, why leave it on an open ended note?

My guess is she'd leave it open-ended because of the power position CK holds in the community, that she wasn't a victim so she didn't feel it was her place to make the comment, and the legal problems that come about in making these accusations out and out. I think there are some posters here making good points that I might be overreacting here, but the misconduct stuff around CK has bothered me for a while internally, and I was hoping if there was more light to be shed on the issue.

Fuchsdh

At some point with these allegations I feel like you should have a shit-or-get-off-the-pot moment. It's a comedian. Stop being cowards and press charges or at least publicly state your case instead of feeding gossip squads. Otherwise you're basically saying that you're fine with continued harassment and assault.

I found this exchange in the article particularly weird:

I'd be inclined to guess that CK was an EP on One Mississppi before any of this ever came to Tig. Tig's refusal to talk about whatever this "incident" was, along with her questions about if he confronted the allegations...it's just such a weird thing to get at.

Like I said .... passive aggressive bullshit. If she has a claim lay it out there. Describing an "incident" but giving no details after being asked such a question just leads to the reader filling in the blanks in the most wild ways thinkable.

My guess is she'd leave it open-ended because of the power position CK holds in the community, that she wasn't a victim so she didn't feel it was her place to make the comment, and the legal problems that come about in making these accusations out and out. I think there are some posters here making good points that I might be overreacting here, but the misconduct stuff around CK has bothered me for a while internally, and I was hoping if there was more light to be shed on the issue.

That's kinda my point. If she's unsure, not the victim and worried about possible legal actions, then she shouldn't be making open ended comments. The power dynamic isn't a great look either. "hey I KNOW he assaulted someone but I won't say it outright because I fear for my career"

At some point with these allegations I feel like you should have a shit-or-get-off-the-pot moment. It's a comedian. Stop being cowards and press charges or at least publicly state your case instead of feeding gossip squads. Otherwise you're basically saying that you're fine with continued harassment and assault.

Holy fuck.

Cool to see this argument again for the 1000th time, despite getting ripped apart in every other similar thread about sexual abuse allegations.

It'd be nice if we could at least get an understanding of what's going on on the level of what Buress did with Cosby, I'll admit. Right now it's a whole lot of people talking in hushed tones about maybe something happening while writing parallel stories into their art. If the man is a repeated sexual harasser, for the sake of everyone else, it'd be best if we knew about it sooner rather than later.

Yea possible victims of sexual assault, stop being cowards! wait what?

Trojita

Shut up about the title of the thread and discuss the topic.
I can understand where Switch Back 9 was confused.

This line:
“I think it’s important to take care of that, to handle that, because it’s serious to be assaulted,” Notaro says in response. “It’s serious to be harassed. It’s serious, it’s serious, it’s serious.”

Was her response to Louis C.K.'s assault allegations, but when I read the OP it didn't make it clear that this was the case. I thought she was talking about tackling the subject on a show.

To be honest even reading the article confused me. Specifically how this part flows together.
“I don’t care about that. That’s nothing to me. That’s not real,” C.K. said at the time. Pressed further, he then added, “You can’t touch stuff like that. There’s one more thing I want to say about this, and it’s important: If you need your public profile to be all positive, you’re sick in the head. I do the work I do, and what happens next I can’t look after. So my thing is that I try to speak to the work whenever I can. Just to the work and not to my life.”

“And that’s what we want to do with this show,” she continues

Trojita

Oh yeah Notaro was the comedian that was accusing Louis C.K. of stealing an idea for a sketch and using it on SNL. That probably helped cement why they aren't talking to each other anymore.

I'd like at least an anonymous first hand account before I'd be willing to believe this. These "I've heard stories" is like 2 people removed from the alleged incident.

This line:

Was her response to Louis C.K.'s assault allegations, but when I read the OP it didn't make it clear that this was the case. I thought she was talking about tackling the subject on a show.

To be honest even reading the article confused me. Specifically how this part flows together.

This line came before the paragraph on CK's statements, which, I felt, made the article easier to understand:

“So as far as what he’s doing or what he’s done…” At that point she trails off and asks me if C.K. has ever “acknowledged” the sexual-misconduct allegations against him.

Oh yeah Notaro was the comedian that was accusing Louis C.K. of stealing an idea for a sketch and using it on SNL. That probably helped cement why they aren't talking to each other anymore.

That would make sense! In which case this very well could be just some random statement on the part of Tig.

Feep

Banned
I've heard direct allegations matching these from a close comedian friend in Hollywood, about six years ago. It's a bit of an open secret.

He *is* funny, but I try not to support him with my dollars under any circumstances.

Fuchsdh

Yea possible victims of sexual assault, stop being cowards! wait what?

Exactly how do you stop rapists and harassers if people don't come forward, exactly?

At the end of the day, this "powerful man" is a damn comedian. If you're afraid of crossing him because of your career, you are tacitly accepting more victimization for the sake of your own job. That's cowardly, whether you're a victim or know someone who is and still say nothing.

How many more women were victimized by Cosby and others because it took years for someone to straight-up say what people were talking about in hushed tones?

I've heard direct allegations matching these from a close comedian friend in Hollywood, about six years ago. It's a bit of an open secret.

He *is* funny, but I try not to support him with my dollars under any circumstances.

Please share with the rest of us what you know.

besada

Banned

And if he'd contacted a moderator, rather than dragging it into the thread, there wouldn't have been a problem. Again, if you have a problem with a thread, or a poster, or a title -- contact a moderator via PM.

It's not that complicated.

I think one thing that is often overlooked in these situations is that it's not just about the power someone like Louis would have. It's pretty well known that sexual harassment of actresses and females in Hollywood is commonplace. The last thing these powerful men, who have much more power than Louis, want is a wave of women coming forward. They are the ones that are far more likely to ruin someone's career than a single comedian, regardless of how popular he is.

Feep

Banned
Please share with the rest of us what you know.
Matching stuff, basically. Inviting girls up to his room under innocent pretext, then locking the door and doing basically masturbating on them or some other weird shit while simultaneously preventing them from leaving. I didn't hear that it ever went as far as direct rape, but sexual assault would probably still apply.

I trust the friend in question quite strongly, and these stories aren't in a vacuum. I wouldn't bring the guy to trial over secondhand stories, but I'd say it's much more likely than not that at least some of the allegations are true.

Exactly how do you stop rapists and harassers if people don't come forward, exactly?

At the end of the day, this "powerful man" is a damn comedian. If you're afraid of crossing him because of your career, you are tacitly accepting more victimization for the sake of your own job. That's cowardly, whether you're a victim or know someone who is and still say nothing.

How many more women were victimized by Cosby and others because it took years for someone to straight-up say what people were talking about in hushed tones?

If you think the answer to this problem is to fucking call victims names and insults, then you're a real piece of work.

Blaming victims for not coming forward is shitty. Just stop. Your post is garbage. The entire reason people like louis Ck do what they do (if it's true) is because they have power over these people. These are fellow comedians who are trying to advance their careers, even though Louis is "just a damn comedian" he does hold power over them. And it's not easy for someone to step up and confront that.

I think one thing that is often overlooked in these situations is that it's not just about the power someone like Louis would have. It's pretty well known that sexual harassment of actresses and females in Hollywood is commonplace. The last thing these powerful men, who have much more power than Louis, want is a wave of women coming forward. They are the ones that are far more likely to ruin someone's career than a single comedian, regardless of how popular he is.

If I'm understanding this right, men in Hollywood, generally being regular sexual harassers, prefer to discourage public outing of sexual harassment in general for fear of having to be responsible for their actions down the line?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

is it possible that the victims fear professional retaliation because although he's a comedian, he's a powerful comedian?

is it possible they haven't pressed charges because there is a variety of behavior that is disgusting, offensive, violating, and not illegal or not easy to prove forensically?

Sexual assault is something that should NOT be taken with a grain of salt the way far too many do so. As such, Louis C.K. should be seen as a piece of shit based on all these allegations. It's like, to have not one but MULTIPLE people come up and accuse him just makes it all the more suspicious. It's the same ordeal with Bill Cosby or Donald Trump. There's not as much definitive physical PROOF but at the same time, I refuse to treat victims like immediate liars. Because of all this matching up with multiple accounts, I see no problem lumping Louis with the two people I just mentioned. He can fuck right off.

Sethista

CK is the one guy who I though would not do this kind of shit, just because he is so straightforward about how he feels about everything, but if he is assaulting women, he needs to be punished for it, as soon as possible.

Hopefully if this is indeed goiing on, someone can muster the courage to go to the police and be able to prove it.

I am reserving judgement until I see more concrete evidence of his behaviour. When I see these artists do something criminal, I tend to stop following them, watching their stuff, etc. They lose me compeltely. Heres hoping CK does not lose me too.

Top Bottom