• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TIL Canada is less multi-cultural than the United States

L Thammy

On the discussion about natives above:

Wasn't there the start of a fledgling multi-tribe Native American state under Tecumseh, which then fell apart when he was killed by American forces in the Battle of Thames? And then further downtrodden when they violated the Treaty of Ghent to expand into Native American territory?

I'm not an expert by any means, but that's how I understood the question of whether Native Americans would have formed a nation. They tried, but they were forcibly shut down.

It depends on your definition of multicultural. I consider many African countries to be very multicultural, even though they're almost 100% black. I grew up in a city that was 85% white, but the foreign born population makes up about 25% of the population. I felt more entrenched in mainstream Canadian culture than a lot of the recent arrivals from Italy and Eastern Europe who had difficulty speaking the language, even though they were the racial majority and I was the minority. But this would not count as diversity in that chart (which is inaccurate btw, Canada is not anywhere near 90% white).

Right now I live in a Toronto suburb that's 50% white and around 55% foreign born, meaning people born in Canada are the minority. I don't think there's a city in the US that comes close in terms of that many foreign born residents. Every other person comes from a different country and has some unique insights and life experiences to share. It's always fascinating.

Matt

It depends on your definition of multicultural. I consider many African countries to be very multicultural, even though they're almost 100% black. I grew up in a city that was 85% white, but the foreign born population makes up about 25% of the population. I felt more entrenched in mainstream Canadian culture than a lot of the recent arrivals from Italy and Eastern Europe who had difficulty speaking the language, even though they were the racial majority and I was the minority. But this would not count as diversity in that chart (which is inaccurate btw, Canada is not anywhere near 90% white).

Right now I live in a Toronto suburb that's 50% white and around 55% foreign born, meaning people born in Canada are the minority. I don't think there's a city in the US that comes close in terms of that many foreign born residents. Every other person comes from a different country and has some unique insights and life experiences to share. It's always fascinating.
That's the same foreign born percentage as the entire city of Miami, FL (~450,000 people live there).

Matt

Well the US Census does use ancestry which is the closest the US has for ethnicity like in some other countries. It is from the 2000 US census.

This is how the US Census describes ancestry.

From this link: https://www.census.gov/content/dam/Census/library/publications/2004/dec/c2kbr-35.pdf
92 ancestries are over 100,000 and 500 were reported.

This is different I think.
https://www2.census.gov/programs-surveys/decennial/2000/phc/phc-t-43/tab01.p
Right, but that info is from 2000. I don't think it's available from the 2010 census, and we don't know what data that study used.

Matt

On the discussion about natives above:

Wasn't there the start of a fledgling multi-tribe Native American state under Tecumseh, which then fell apart when he was killed by American forces in the Battle of Thames? And then further downtrodden when they violated the Treaty of Ghent to expand into Native American territory?

I'm not an expert by any means, but that's how I understood the question of whether Native Americans would have formed a nation. They tried, but they were forcibly shut down.
Well, A) Tecumseh operated in the original territory of the United States, so he's not really involved in a discussion about American colonialism. And B) there is really no way a lose tribal confederation inside another state would have lead to an independent free Native American nation.

A large majority are white. Curiously the second largest group of Hispanics don't identify with any of the 'standard' races.
But you are right, I guess what I meant was people forget that Hispanic/Latino isn't a race.

I'm white now? Eli5 (Mexican dude from Mexico)

I think that graph, adding to how outdated it is, is pretty awful for how much it assumes culture is tied to race. Since when is "White" a culture?

I grew up in Toronto, and there was a huge difference in culture between the different ethnic groups. You had the Danforth, which was considered Greektown, which was completely different from a place like Parkdale, which was primarily Polish. Add in Italians and you have a bunch of different cultures that this graph just lumps together because they're "white". I don't think anybody who's lived in Toronto would argue that the type of culture you get from "A Taste of the Danforth" is the same as the "Corso Italia Street Fest".

So yeah, this graph is bullshit.

Onemic

The graph is probably true because outside of the greater Vancouver/Toronto area and Montreal, Canada is pretty damn white.

That's the same foreign born percentage as the entire city of Miami, FL (~450,000 people live there).

Oh yeah, that's true, I forgot about Miami. Both Toronto and Miami are around 50% foreign born.

There's an interesting case of the suburb next to me (Markham, population 350,000). It's 40% East Asian, 28% White, 19% South Asian, 5% Southeast Asian, 3% Black, 3% Arab/Middle Eastern, 2% other/mixed, and around 55% born foreign born. In that chart, it would have simply been 65% Asian and 30% white, and not very diverse. I don't think US definition of diversity translates well over here.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
If he's talking about Scarborough, it has a population close to 700k. Additionally, it's diversity is extremely high, as in, those foreign born are from all over:

hjMS9zv.jpg

That 'white' is also a simplification.

The Lamp

um, duh?

we have one super multicural city here, Toronto, other than that.... bunch of white folks [except Vancouver, where there's plenty of Chinese, but that's about it].

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
Do they send you to school in Canada?
If so, you should have learned that the US is a melting pot of cultures, immigrants, and descendants of slaves.

I grew up in a city that beats that pie chart. Most diverse city in the US
http://statisticalatlas.com/county/Texas/Harris-County/Race-and-Ethnicity

lol
You may want to ask someone from a minority group what they think of that crock of shit before dropping the mic with some propaganda your elementary school teacher brainwashed you into believing.

Matt said:
What he's saying is true for the entirety of the GTA (population 6 million), not just one suburb.

This is an old statistic but keep in mind:

1. People would always prefer to go to the US due to better opportunities for professionals.
2. It's cold as hell.
3. Canada is significantly smaller in terms of population, with only about 2-3 cities that are extremely diverse, (Toronto, Vancouver, Montreal).

Once you go outside of the main cities, Canadian's aren't as liberal as you might think. That's where the hardcore conservatives dwell. Don't believe me? Drive an hour in any direction from Montreal and see for yourself as a colored person.

Best wishes.
Thats not entirely true. KW/Cambridge, London, Ottawa, Hamilton/Burlington are all very diverse too. University's help bring in alot of diverse people and with the amount of immigrants coming into the province makes Ontario very diverse.

CazTGG

Do they send you to school in Canada?
If so, you should have learned that the US is a melting pot of cultures, immigrants, and descendants of slaves.

I grew up in a city that beats that pie chart. Most diverse city in the US
http://statisticalatlas.com/county/Texas/Harris-County/Race-and-Ethnicity

Got to love that American education system propping up that lie.

Real talk: America and Canada are not post-colonial societies; both have issues pertaining to the assimilation of non-white, non-European immigrants and face issues related to their respective country's colonial roots. I say this as a Canadian who sees that there's major work to be done on our end i.e. our relationship to the various indigenous groups, our structural issues that consequently affect a disproportionate amount of a given ethnic group such as carding/the toxicity of police culture, and so on.

what about the Aboriginal peoples of canada

National Household Survey (NHS) show that 1,400,685 people had an Aboriginal identity in 2011, representing 4.3% of the total Canadian population. Aboriginal people accounted for 3.8% of the population enumerated in the 2006 Census, 3.3% in the 2001 Census and 2.8% in the 1996 Census.

http://www12.statcan.gc.ca/nhs-enm/2011/as-sa/99-011-x/99-011-x2011001-eng.cfm

Aboriginal heritage is one specific collective group in that census statistic. Said group also has no way to actually increase in numbers outside of reproducing. Meanwhile every other group brings in around a quarter million immigrants a year on top of birth rates. When you factor in Immigration, birth rates and some other things such as the problems facing aboriginals in Canada... It makes complete sense that the aboriginal total as a percentage of the population is going down.

Schattenjäger;243581428 said:
Queens NY is the most diverse place on the planet

Amen brother....as a man born and raised in Queens NYC, I am ABSOLUTELY proud of my borough. Brooklyn can take a back seat homie, hehe. Now I'm Florida and man, culturally? Its like white rice with some cuban bread topped with hatian beef stew.

But seriously, this man is right. I'm only 26, but man I loved being around other cultures. Dunno about the rest of you Americans + other countries, but hearing another person talking on their cell in another language on a train or bus? Business as usual.

Neighborhoods littered with "authentic" restaurants catered to their respective country? No biggie. Find food in your grocery store in a different language? So what! But be aware, not everyone mingled in each others customs/food/culture. Also EVERYONE thinks their COUNTRY is the BEST. It's hilarious.

My parents emigrated from Jamaica, and although I grew up on Jamaican food, we still had chinese food(like go to grocery and buy actual imported noodles products etc), Italian, German, Polish, Nigerian, the list goes on.

Yet although I thought I was a cultural "hotshot", I was STILL ignorant. How? Flew to England for a HS trip and I was ligit blown away by an Indian kid speaking with a British accent. So we as people still have alot to learn.

jstripes

Banned
Thats pretty awesome , i've always wondered if my people lived there!

There's not as many as in Florida, because that's where many fled to during the revolution, but they are here. They have a much larger presence in Montreal than in Toronto.

DiscoJer

I'm white now? Eli5 (Mexican dude from Mexico)

The US census separates race from ethnicity. It asks if you are White, black, Asian, American Indian/Alaskan native, or "Other"

It then has a separate question asking if you are Hispanic.

About half the Hispanics in the US call themselves "white", the other half "other" (with a scattering of the rest, I had an Asian-Hspanic Spanish teacher in high school)

My mother's family is from San Diego, 3 of her sisters married Mexican-Americans. All of their child are as white as I am, hell one of my cousins is a natural blonde. One of my cousins married a Mexican-American and their daughter is somewhat brown skinned, but basically looks like Jessica Alba

ST2K

Eskimo is a pejorative, the correct term is Inuit

Nah.

Although the name "Eskimo" is commonly used in Alaska to refer to all Inuit and Yupik people of the world, this name is considered derogatory in many other places because it was given by non-Inuit people and was said to mean "eater of raw meat."

Linguists now believe that "Eskimo" is derived from an Ojibwa word meaning "to net snowshoes." However, the people of Canada and Greenland prefer other names. "Inuit," meaning "people," is used in most of Canada, and the language is called "Inuktitut" in eastern Canada although other local designations are used also. The Inuit people of Greenland refer to themselves as "Greenlanders" or "Kalaallit" in their language, which they call "Greenlandic" or "Kalaallisut."

Most Alaskans continue to accept the name "Eskimo," particularly because "Inuit" refers only to the Inupiat of northern Alaska, the Inuit of Canada, and the Kalaallit of Greenland, and it is not a word in the Yupik languages of Alaska and Siberia.

Jakten

This thread is sad as fuck. I can't believe how many people are falling for that bullshit made-up graph in the OP.

Even worse is the number of Canadians who are revealed to know jack shit about their own country with all this Canada is near totally white outside of Vancouver/Toronto/Montreal crap.

When you compare that to some places in Ontario though that's super white. Like Scarborough has almost the same population of Winnipeg and the white population is below %30. Mind you I'm not saying I know the demographics entirely in most of the other provinces. Toronto in its entirety is only ~%50 white people though. An almost %15-%20 difference is pretty large.

zou

I said the United States engaged in a greater degree of colonialism than most other European powers (the exceptions being the United Kingdom, Spain, and Russia; and it's a very close-run matter between Russia and the United States, so I'm being generous). I stand by this. Consider how populated the United States is today, and suppose that United States colonialism had never occured. Where the United States mostly is now, there would have been (a) thriving nation-state(s) of the indigenous American communities, with all of their traditions and customs and history and culture. Instead, they were massacred, and the justification you're using to say 'there wasn't much colonialism' is 'because we made sure they could never recover enough for anyone to see the ramifications'.

I think it's hilarious you left out Portugal and Spain, considering between the two of them they divided up most of South and Central America.

And I don't see how you can claim with a straight face that the US was what prevented some hypothetical thriving state of indigenous Americans, when the French and Spanish had settled virtually all of the West, South and Mid-West.

A large majority are white. Curiously the second largest group of Hispanics don't identify with any of the 'standard' races.
But you are right, I guess what I meant was people forget that Hispanic/Latino isn't a race.

Not really curious at all in most Latin countries their leaders tried their hardest to erase the idea of race completely. Some places it worked, other places it's coming undone, point in case Brazil.

Many fools default to "white" because both the color and ppl are seen as amazing and the standard of many things (beauty, intelligence, etc).

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
If he's talking about Scarborough, it has a population close to 700k. Additionally, it's diversity is extremely high, as in, those foreign born are from all over:

That 'white' is also a simplification.

Miami population is 5.5 million. Not 450 k.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miami

Also note: non-Hispanic white is 11.9% and the Hispanic population is very diverse, not just Cuba.

In 2010, 58.1% of the county's population was foreign born

In 2004, the United Nations Development Program (UNDP) reported that Miami had the highest proportion of foreign-born residents of any major city worldwide (59%), followed by Toronto (50%).

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
If you want to include all 3 counties in that metro statistical region.

Well, that's the city. If you want to not actually count the whole city, only Miami-Dade county is 2.7 million. Or are we only going to count the downtown area? Miami as a city is more spread out than Toronto so you can really compare metro city areas as far as population masses. The city is just built differently.

Looking at these graphs, it strikes me how "Filipino" gets its own slice of the pie. Mexicans get lumped under "Hispanic" and Indians/Pakistanis/Nepalese get lumped under "South Asians" but a small insignificant archipelago with 100 million inhabitants (not counting diaspora) gets its own designation. Filipinos are South-East Asian btw, but they don't get to join that party. "Chinese" at least makes sense since they make up like 1/5 of the world population.

Disclosure: am Filipino.

Looking at these graphs, it strikes me how "Filipino" gets its own slice of the pie. Mexicans get lumped under "Hispanic" and Indians/Pakistanis/Nepalese get lumped under "South Asians" but a small insignificant archipelago with 100 million inhabitants (not counting diaspora) gets its own designation. Filipinos are South-East Asian btw, but they don't get to join that party. "Chinese" at least makes sense since they make up like 1/5 of the world population.

Disclosure: am Filipino.

it's so true LOL

Top Bottom