• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tim Sweeney: Not sure why Steam is still taking 30%

Everyone that's excusing it because "it's the same as every other store" would be ok with Steam suddenly charging for MP because all the other services do too right?

Uh, this is pretty standard and a complete non-issue.
They invested in their staff and infrastructure and went with the standard rate that all the other platforms have as well.

Everyone that's excusing it because "it's the same as every other store" would be ok with Steam suddenly charging for MP because all the other services do too right?

Paid Online-MP isnt the industry standard on PC though unlike a 30% cut.

Now just imagine Valve says "15%". Then Valve gets an even bigger monopoly because everyone would want their games on there even more and competitors who still charge 30% will get mad.

What...? This is more about why bother singling out Steam for this, not a statement of whether or not 30% is bad or good.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Might've skimmed over it, but something else about cuts.

Humble used to take about 5% (not sure if they still do, as that was a couple of years ago). Assuminng they still do (or at least, charge less than Valve): What developers could easily do, is sell more Steam keys through Humble. They pay less of a cut, but the consumer still ends up with a Steam key.

Humble takes 15% for themselves, and another 10% for charity for every Humble Store purchase. Developer cut is 75%. Humble claims that 15% is to cover hosting costs, and they have a fraction of the featureset that Valve has with the entire Steam ecosystem. Kinda helps put into perspective how much money is sunk into just providing the user with the products they purchase.

Because it's a monopoly, it's also why the other storefronts charge the same rate, because they know that devs have no choice no matter what even if they seek alternatives.

Because Steam is the monopoly, so they define the standard.

Steam werent always a monopoly.
And back in 2007-2008, Apple already took 30%. At the time, Steam was nothing. Google took 30%. Sony and Microsoft took 30%.

GHG

This is why I'm selling my gaming PC for an Xbox One X.

They can't keep getting away with it.

The costs to a storefront owner are not only the credit card fees and hosting.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey

This article is 4 years old. See my post for more recent information:

Humble takes 15% for themselves, and another 10% for charity for every Humble Store purchase. Developer cut is 75%. Humble claims that 15% is to cover hosting costs, and they have a fraction of the featureset that Valve has with the entire Steam ecosystem. Kinda helps put into perspective how much money is sunk into just providing the user with the products they purchase.

Humble's just barely better, and they can't opt out of the charity costs.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Virtually every digital game store takes the same cut. PC, console, mobile.

Steam is different though. Apple, MS and Sony sell and market the devices you launch on - they arguably charge more to cover the investment and costs involved in that.

Steam exists on a platform that is already there - they don't sell PCs they don't sell the operating system installed on them. Their only investment is the storefront software

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Steam is different though. Apple, MS and Sony sell and market the devices you launch on - they arguably charge more to cover the investment and costs involved in that.

Valve has had multiple hardware initiatives that would give them the same reasoning, then? Steam Boxes were done through partnerships, but they still had to R&D for the Steam Controller, SteamOS, and splitting whatever costs were required to develop the Vive with HTC. Valve and Steam are not just a storefront.

OKK

This article is 4 years old. See my post for more recent information:

Humble's just barely better, and they can't opt out of the charity costs.

Ah, thanks for the updated info. It's unfortunate that HB has raised their cut because this was/is the main reason why I like to support them.

Steam already basically has all the computer games it could want. The only major holdouts are stuff like Blizzard and Valve can't beat the 100% revenue those companies get by selling on their own storefront. No reason for Valve to deviate from the industry standard revenue split.

Griss

Totally agree that 30% is an outrageous cut for what the digital storefront actually offers, considering they don't actually build the devices that the store is on like Apple, Sony, Nintendo etc do - they don't create the market.

I'm surprised, though, that all of the publishers are setting up their own stores. They have to understand that that kind of fragmentation will ultimately keep people on Steam for usability reasons alone.

What they should have done is come together and create a non-profit company backed by all of the big boys (every major publisher of PC games) that would create a digital storefront to compete with steam and only take whatever cut it needs to provide a competitive service, 10 or 15% or whatever the numbers work out to be. If you had that kind of competition you'd see Steam shape up real quick.

Can you imagine the value of an extra 20% of all game sales on PC for these publishers? You're talking major money here. But each having their own store... I can't see it working out.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Ah, thanks for the updated info. It's unfortunate that HB has raised their cut because this was/is the main reason why I like to support them.

They still do good work! I think this sort of thing was in part due to evaluating operating costs as the PC space bloomed and they became an even larger player than they ever dreamed of back when they just ran bundles.

KHarvey16

Totally agree that 30% is an outrageous cut for what the digital storefront actually offers, considering they don't actually build the devices that the store is on like Apple, Sony, Nintendo etc do - they don't create the market.

Why would making the devices and only selling to them justify a 30% cut on its own?

I'm surprised, though, that all of the publishers are setting up their own stores. They have to understand that that kind of fragmentation will ultimately keep people on Steam for usability reasons alone.

What they should have done is come together and create a non-profit company backed by all of the big boys (every major publisher of PC games) that would create a digital storefront to compete with steam and only take whatever cut it needs to provide a competitive service, 10 or 15% or whatever the numbers work out to be. If you had that kind of competition you'd see Steam shape up real quick.

Can you imagine the value of an extra 20% of all game sales on PC for these publishers? You're talking major money here. But each having their own store... I can't see it working out.

It's not only a storefront though. It's also an API with Steamworks.

I also fail to see the benefit of your initiative ? Having the worst publishers force even more stuff on us ? Not sure it's a clever idea.

As I have stated many times on here, Valves advantage was:

1. They signed a deal with Activision for MW2 and WB for FEAR2, 2 first major games to be PC exclusive*. You would be kidding yourself if they think they paid 30%, this caused a ton of retail issues as these and others messed up return policies and most likely cause the publishers a headache. Australia for example had stickers on every retail PC game warning of Steam DRM.

2. Vocal fans forced ISP to mirror early steam releases, remember when you could pick ISP from download mirror list? now you can only choose your state/country.

*steampowered, my mistake

1. They signed a deal with Activision for MW2 and WB for FEAR2, 2 first major games to be PC exclusive. You would be kidding yourself if they think they paid 30%

2. Vocal fans forced ISP to mirror early steam releases, remember when you could pick ISP from download mirror list? now you can only choose your state.

Uhhh, Modern Warfare 2 and FEAR 2 were never PC exclusive.

Pheace

Let's not forget that the 30% digital cut was already quite an improvement over the cuts they lost going physical retail, and on top of that they get the money earned way quicker than retail as well.

Kind of surprised the 30% cut is coming as a surprise to so many here, this has been standard for well over a decade.

c0de

Oh he's well aware of all this.

I like Tim Sweeney, but all he's doing here is simply using his influence to try and generate a push against one of his competitors, to his own advantage. It's fine - he's free to do it. But the act of ignorance is fairly transparent from someone as clever and experienced as he is.

Then this tweet is hurting him more than it serves.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
What games are available on Mastercard and Visa?

AQRdbUJ.jpg

Memento

What does that % represents?

They take 30% of every sale in their stores?

Sony takes 30% of every game bought on PSN? Like, a 60 dollars game purchase on PSN means they are getting 18 dollars just because they are distributing it in their store???

If that is it... holy shit. That is insane.

What does that % represents?

They take 30% of every sale in their stores?

Sony takes 30% of every game bought on PSN? Like, a 60 dollars game purchase on PSN means they are getting 18 dollars just because they are distributing it in their store???

If that is it... holy shit. That is insane.

It was mostly always like that for digital, because it was based on a retail system that has around 20-30%.

Big Blue

Posts about Steam not being a monopoly always make me laugh.

It's like saying Microsoft isn't a monopoly in the PC OS space when Linux and Mac OS exist. As though the majority of people give a shit about the other two.

Yup, just because you like the product, doesn't mean it's not a monopoly. It checks every box.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
No one is stopping Sweeney from offering a competitor for less percentage who offers the same or more than Steam for devs. Good luck bro.

And now they want to limit the amount of keys publishers can generate.

It was clarified that it was almost like that. They always had a "limit" and checked that.

Its just that lately there are bundle-sites that give away keys for 5 cent, so devs of shovelware generated thousands of keys in a short span of time.

Pixieking

Banned
And now they want to limit the amount of keys publishers can generate.

Oh my god lets stop this fallacy right now

Valve says it's cracking down on big key requests to combat Steam skulduggery
"While our changes did impact the economics of trading card farming for new products coming to Steam, there are still a lot of games and game-shaped objects using Steam keys as a way to manipulate Steam systems. As a result, we're trying to look more closely at extreme examples of products on Steam that don't seem to be providing actual value as playable games-for instance, when a game has sold 100 units, has mostly negative reviews, but requests 500,000 Steam keys. We're not interested in supporting trading card farming or bot networks at the expense of being able to provide value and service for players."

99Luffy

Banned
Im not sure Steam is to blame for this, I'll even go as far to say that if they said 'Ok we'll just take a 1% cut so the games are cheaper' the big publishers will just be like 'lol the msrp aint changing.''

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

1. They signed a deal with Activision for MW2 and WB for FEAR2, 2 first major games to be PC exclusive*. You would be kidding yourself if they think they paid 30%, this caused a ton of retail issues as these and others messed up return policies and most likely cause the publishers a headache. Australia for example had stickers on every retail PC game warning of Steam DRM.

2. Vocal fans forced ISP to mirror early steam releases, remember when you could pick ISP from download mirror list? now you can only choose your state/country.

*steampowered, my mistake

There is absolutely zero evidence suggesting Valve financially incentivised the uptake of Steamworks, and there are still a lot of third-party content servers (not all of them are hosted by ISPs). I generally connect to the one my ISP has been hosting for over a decade now.

Im not sure Steam is to blame for this, I'll even go as far to say that if they said 'Ok we'll just take a 1% cut so the games are cheaper' the big publishers will just be like 'lol the msrp aint changing.''

I remember EA adding real life ads in some games (Burnout, Battlefield 2142) and saying "Well. Like that games can get cheaper!"

Memento

It was mostly always like that for digital, because it was based on a retail system that has around 20-30%.

I imagine store distribution are by far the biggest revenue generators for both the PlayStation division and the Xbox division for Sony/Microsoft, right?

Pixieking

Banned
Im not sure Steam is to blame for this, I'll go as far to say that if they said 'Ok we'll just take a 1% cut so the games are cheaper' publishers will just be like 'lol the msrp aint changing.''

Yeah, this too. AAA game prices haven't decreased in the 12 years since Steam was introduced, even though digital sales are (probably) at this point the majority of game sales. The industry has shifted from majority sales where the (physical) storefront takes 70% to majority sales where the storefront takes 30%, yet that increase in revenue has been eaten by the publishers either as costs rise, or as genuine profit.

Decreasing Valve's take only strengthens their position as the place to sell, and increases the revenue margins for publishers. It would not lower prices.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch

What does building own hardwares has to do with anything?

Amazon and Google most probably takes 30% too. Even Tim Sweeney's own UE4 market has a 30% cut.

Top Bottom