• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TIME: Find Out If Trump Would Let You Immigrate To America

Apdiddy

I got a 24 and I'm an American.

There's a high degree of class-ism going on with Trump's proposal -- instead of helping people wanting to start life in America, he wants to help people who are already well off be able to say "Oh yeah, I got U.S. citizenship too" in addition to their millionaire lifestyles. So what exactly does this say to people who are lower to middle class in their own countries that want to immigrate here -- you aren't welcome here?

And he got elected by people dumber than dirt that wouldn't be able to be U.S. citizens either according to the RAISE Act. Next Trump supporter I see will get told "Thanks a lot for fucking up the country, idiot."

wrowa

LOL and I'm an American.

So basically, you have to be a millionaire, olympist, and Nobel Prize winner to make it here?

Got it.

Nah, of course not.

After all, no one gives a shit that you are an olympist if you won your gold medal more than 8 years ago! lol

MIMIC

Banned
I like how for the Olympic medal to count, you have to have won it in the last 8 years. Nevermind if you were a olympic gold medalist 12 years ago, Your medals are now worth zero in Trump currency

Heh, yeah the Olympic medal question is all kinds of ridiculous. Might as well limit it to silver of gold.

What skills does Trump require?

A nobel peace prize.
An olympic medal in the last 8 years.
Investing over a 1.3 million into commercial business.

But yet I can get into Germany with my stem bachelors degree and be happy. Supply/Demand sure, but this is too stringent.

Bolded correction

adj_noun

I officially offer all of GAF a job with a salary of at least $160,000.

None of you will get the job. It does not, strictly speaking, exist outside the heady bounds of my imagination.

But I am offering.

Soroc

I got a freaking 29. Seriously this has to be some kind of joke right? right??? This is a very clever way of enforcing a new "Ban" on all immigrants apparently.

Full Disclosure: American born Fluent Speaking English, 36 years old working in IT with a Bachelors degree

WTF does winning the Nobel or having an Olympic medal have to do with anything?? This shit is Crazy

do you have a Nobel Prize or Olympic Gold? No...those questions are fucking great, what a cunt for a President...

I got 19 lol...

shaowebb

Got 31. My wife wouldn't qualify though. Fuck this thing and fuck him for making something with such idiotic criteria for categorizing a person's worth.

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
Pasted on the back of your Olympic medal.
I already used that to get into Canada. Am I allowed to double dip?

In all seriousness, many countries have a points based system for immigration. And it really isn't unusual for "natives" to not qualify. Canada has a points based system that most Canadians wouldn't qualify for.

If you are gettling a job offer in San Fran with an MSc in Computer Engineering, after working for someone like IBM in Ontario for a couple of years, you can easily score low-40s with English Fluency. You just need to be under 36.

That scenario with a PhD at say 31 is 46.

That's almost literally the top end without winning a Nobel or a Gold Medal (in the last eight years), or investing more than a million bucks. Only place you could add more is be younger. It's not super common.

28/30 then the last 3 question is literally impossible to get any points for any average person.

Edit: I am already an US citizen btw.

kswiston

That's almost literally the top end without winning a Nobel or a Gold Medal (in the last eight years), or investing more than a million bucks. It's not super common.

Ya, but this is a nerd forum. I'd bet that over half the people responding are Americans who have jobs (and US degrees). Some will be making big bucks in tech fields.

WTF kind of qualifications are these! Holy shit. You arent given any points if you make less than $77,000 when the medium house hold income is in the $50,000?!

Olympic medals, Nobel Peace prize? Investing more than $1.3 million? Fuck off with this horseshit. Most Americans won't pass let alone immigrants.

Trump doesnt even qualify by his own standards

ClcXT0N.png

Imagine a 26-30 year old with a US doctorate, Nobel peace prize winning Olympic gold medalist in the last 4 years with foreing currency worth 1.8 mil.... would they even want to take a job offer over 155k in the USA? Would they even want to come here? I feel like the US would be begging them to come here when they would have better options.

also, does such a person even exist?

Ya, but this is a nerd forum. I'd bet that over half the people responding are Americans who have jobs (and US degrees). Some will be making big bucks in tech fields.

I'd say that's partially true, and I'd say that some are making decent bucks. I do see a lot of posts from people who are clearly IT guys or web developers. But young PHDs making over $155,000 a year are simply numerically rare. I don't see many GAF posts that give me an impression there's a disproportionate amount of people that fit that category here. When we get a flood of threads about what wine goes best with caviar or what options to get on luxury cars and less about $30 Italian meals I'll change my assessment.

Rodelero

I get 29 with no job offer as a fluent 26 year old MSc from England. So I'd need a job offer for $77,900 or more, before I'm 40, to get in. Good to know. Unfortunately for Donald, I'm not interested.

kswiston

I'd say that's partially true, and I'd say that some are making decent bucks. But young PHDs making over $155,000 a year are simply numerically rare. I don't see many GAF posts that give me an impression there's a disproportionate amount of people that fit that category here.

Some people lie. Some people post to brag. This thread is already self-selecting.

Top Bottom