• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Time Traveler spotted in 1928 movie!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
This short film is about a piece of footage I (George Clarke) found behind the scenes in Charlie Chaplins film 'The Circus'. Attending the premiere at Manns Chinese Theatre in Hollywood, CA - the scene shows a large woman dressed in black with a hat hiding most of her face, with what can only be described as a mobile phone device - talking as she walks alone.

I have studied this film for over a year now - showing it to over 100 people and at a film festival, yet no-one can give any explanation as to what she is doing.

My only theory - as well as many others - is simple... a time traveler on a mobile phone. See for yourself and feel free to leave a comment on your own explanation or thoughts about it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6a4T2tJaSU#t=2m36s

http://blogs.suntimes.com/ebert/strange-3/a-cell-phone-in-a-1928-movie.html

TIME TRAVEL CONFIRMED.

now the real question, who is she talking to? Aliens?

delleps

Neo Member
I mean, if you actually want to take this seriously, the first glaring flaw would be that there would be no phone service.

arab

if i remember correctly, she was making dinner plans with jesus but that guy was an asshole and backed out

Ferrio

Banned
delleps said:
I mean, if you actually want to take this seriously, the first glaring flaw would be that there would be no phone service.

That'd be a flaw if it wasn't someone TRAVELING THROUGH TIME.

delleps said:

That isn't a flaw. Obviously the phone works through time. If they have a time machine, that's completely plausible.

Deku

Banned
yeah, I was about to say, there's no coverage. Could be just some habit of holding her hand up to her ear as she mumbles random stuff.

People do that.

itxaka

Defeatist
delleps said:

is actually sending the phone signal trough the time machine of course. It's just the logical thing, duh.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Occam: Old lady holding face weird, or time traveling drag queen with anachronistically big cell phone?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Then who was phone?

Lijik

OuterWorldVoice said:
Occam: Old lady holding face weird, or time traveling drag queen with anachronistically big cell phone?
Well if you imagine the time traveler as Lady GaGa in her 90s, it all makes sense.

quantum_leap.jpg

Obviously that's Scott Bakula taking to Ziggy

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
OuterWorldVoice said:
It's big because it needs to be capable of cross-temporal transmission and reception of radio waves.

Duh!

/tinfoil hat

Medalion

Banned
Clearly her provider was not AT&T, they can barely get reception in this current time, let alone across dimensional time travel

Muerte_X

Could it have been a walkie talkie? I've seen people hold those like phones, though I'd imagine one would've been a bit bigger in 1928.

Pretty interesting find though.

ckohler

It took me less than 10 seconds to come up with at least five more rational reasons she would hold her hand like that.

Is the concept of using sub-atomic particles to send phone signals through time foreign to some of you???

ckohler said:
It took me less than 10 seconds to come up with at least five more rational reasons she would hold her hand like that.

But none as fun as - HOLY SHIT TIME TRAVELER!

A huge Chaplin fan is going to watch this and recognise herself and think "Holy shit, I must have built a time machine to go back and meet my idol. I better get on that". What we're watching is going to happen next week for her. We're seeing both the future and the past in a single video!

So let me get this straight. They can travel tens of thousands of years through time, but can't communicate on at least a Bluetooth or something? Okay.

Deku

Banned
Logical flaw #2
Why would someone using this device intentionally walk past a camera while walking down a busy street where they could be spotted and quesitoned.

The only reason there is even a debate is we only see her very briefly on screen. If the footage was longer with varying angles, it would be clear that it's not what we think it is.

Logical flaw #3
Why would someone with time travel tech still be using a handset ? It's purely something we only see in these few short decades when handsets are the norm.

Do this in 30 years when were all using hands free, and it would be like finding footage of a time traveller using a Commodore 64 in 1946

Guts Of Thor

Thorax of Odin
Lost Fragment said:
Someone point out this "mobile phone device," 'cause all I see is a hand and shadows.

I first thought she was talking into a shoe. You can kind of see what looks like the rear end of a shoe sticking out.

Deku said:
Logical flaw #2
Why would someone using this device intentionally walk past a camera while walking down a busy street where they could be spotted and quesitoned.

The only reason there is even a debate is we only see her very briefly on screen. If the footage was longer with varying angles, it would be clear that it's not what we think it is.

Logical flaw #3
Why would someone with time travel tech still be using a handset ? It's purely something we only see in these few short decades when handsets are the norm.

Do this in 30 years when were all using hands free, and it would be like finding footage of a time travel driving the Fort Model-T in 1776.

#2 isn't really a flaw. They simply didn't see the camera.

Ferrio

Banned
NaughtyCalibur said:
So let me get this straight. They can travel tens of thousands of years through time, but can't communicate on at least a Bluetooth or something? Okay.

She had limited knowledge of the time period, she thought she came with devices that she'd blend in win. Unfortunately she was quite a few decades off.

Poyunch

She's probably thinking hard and putting her hand to her head. Maybe she's mumbling to herself because she's lost and thinking hard trying to figure out where she is or what she's going to do.

Zombie James said:
If it's a hearing aid, then who was she talking to? She was walking by herself.
The phone that she has built into her fingernail. It is a hearing aid, but she's still a mother fucking time traveler!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom