• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Times when cover is as good as original song? (Black Sheep by Metric)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I heard an interesting Metallica cover on a Gears of War 4 commercial the other day, but I can't remember which song. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Judas Priest - The Green Manalishi (With the Two Pronged Crown)

Way better than the original Fleetwood Mac version.

While I like Priest's cover, I still gotta go with Fleetwood Mac's version. There is something I like about heavy-sounding 60s rock.

One of the most literal examples of this is Blinded By The Light. The famous version is a cover of Bruce Springsteen.

Bruce Springsteen never had a #1, but the Manfred Mann cover hit #1.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rpq35wyDi7I - cover

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Iaca30QbOo - original

I also prefer Manfred Mann's cover of "For You" over Bruce's original.

Dali

Wow. This is really really bad. Not just one kind of bad but different layers of bad like your wife writing a dear John letter and crumbling it up with a medical report from your doctor on top saying you have testicular cancer and a turd on the inside so you have to unravel the wadded up shit bomb to fully appreciate how bad it is.

norm9

Lissie's Pursuit of Happiness cover is better than Kid Cudi's original
Love Rollercoaster by RHCP (this is a close one, as the Ohio Players original is dope)
Rivers of Babylon by Sublime (this one is also a close one as the Melodians original is fantastic)

When I was younger, I thought the Hendrix version was the original version of all along the watchtower...

That's all that needs to be said about that

Skelter

Banned

Vee_One

Dillinger Escape Plan - Plagiarism EP:
NIN - Wish
Massive Attack - Angel
Soundgarden - Jesus Christ Pose
Justin Timberlake - Like I Love You

Not sure I would classify them as "better" but they are damn good covers and very listenable. The track order on these just work for me as well.

Calvero

Banned
The plethora of songs Joan Baez covered of Bob Dylan are top notch.

Also The Airborne Toxic Event's cover of Book of Love by The Magnetic Fields is amazing. You should all check it out.

So was there ever a time when the cover of a song was more popular and well known than the actual original song?

Ones off the top of my head that haven't already been mentioned:

This Mortal Coil's cover of Tim Buckley's Song To The Siren
Elvis Costello cover of Sam & Dave's I Can't Stand Up For Falling Down
Happy Mondays cover of John Kongos' He's Gonna Step On You Again

Also The Airborne Toxic Event's cover of Book of Love by The Magnetic Fields is amazing. You should all check it out.

I'd like it a lot if it wasn't for those damn drums. It's also going up against Peter Gabriel's version which is probably another cover that's better known than the original.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom