• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TimeSplitters was so ahead of its time it is now more prevalent then ever before

TimeSplitters FuturePerfect actually had a surprisingly good single player game too. At a time when shooters were getting way too serious and trying to be these dark, serious-bro stories, TimeSplitters FP came out and just made fun of itself with over the top story, serious-looking but silly characters, and some interesting time manipulation mechanics. Plus it implemented a gravity gun before Half-Life 2 (which was obviously just tacked on after HL2's E3 demo, but still, it was clever).

The original TimeSplitters, though, was the predecessor to the CoD tacked on single player games that we get now. It basically put you into modified MP maps with bots, you'd rush through, grab a gem, the map would modify and enemies would change, and you'd rush out. It's not dissimilar from the modes in Star Wars Battlefront and other tacked on SP games with bots.

But still, TimeSplitters was always one of my favorite franchises. My dad and I used to play it split screen vs. and we'd have a blast.

tesqui

Time Splitters is a series I'd really like to see come back.

Recently replayed TS2 and it holds up extremely well. TS3 not as much though.

I loved the series. Never quite got over the aiming (it didnt stay centered when turning on the crosshairs), but it was great besides that

I LOVED Flame Tag. Remember flame tag? Oh man. I never got to play it online sadly

Surprisingly enjoyable single player with lots of replay value and MP characters were amazing.

KDC720

Future Perfect is one of my favorite shooters ever. I would do horrible things for TS2 and FP remake or HD collection.

Wiped89

I loved Timesplitters Future Perfect so much. It was the first FPS I ever played and it may be the only ome I have ever loved.

It was also the first game I ever played online.

Me and my friends used to play it in offline split screen all the time.

I'm so sad at what Haze did to Free Radical.

nynt9

If you want to champion TimeSplitters, that's great. It's a great game. (2 is my preference)

Trying to tie it up with the lootbox stuff...? Huh?

This. It was a different industry with different budgets and asset requirements.

And the franchise is dead, so clearly it didn’t work out.

Plus it implemented a gravity gun before Half-Life 2 (which was obviously just tacked on after HL2's E3 demo, but still, it was clever).

The gravity gun mechanic (well, telekinesis) was basically lifted from Second Sight, too. So that would've been 2004 if I remember correctly.

It sucked that you couldn't do too much with it on Future Perfect though. It was a clever idea that worked really well, but it was just a bit pointless.

Kill3r7

We need Timesplitters to come save us from this alternate loot box timeline.

The game had all these great features yet was resoundingly rejected by the market. Anyhow, a modern sequel would be full of lootboxes, DLC and good old microtransactions. The gaming industry is very different today.

the IP is with Crytek, who bought Free Radical and turned them into Crytek UK which was subsequently shut down. A lot of the team went on to form Dambuster Studio under Deep Silver which finished development on HOmefront Revolution.

Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't Free Radical make Haze prior to being bought by Crytek.

A franchise my friends and I still bring up from time to time. I wish these games could get ported AS THEY WERE to ps4/xb1/pc/switch. One of the only reasons I keep my wii hooked up.

JayDub

“Ahead if it’s time”? It was even keeping up with the times when it released. This game had the biggest case of floaty controls I’ve ever witnessed, combined with the muddy graphics contributed to motion sickness if played too long.

The graphics were crap even back than. I remember playing every iteration at my friends house and noticing how weird and flat the game looked. Even TS3 looked like crap, though admittedly better.

No jump button was a big WTF moment.

The options and bots for multiplayer was good. But the shooting mechanics was so shallow. The way the guns moved and didn’t stay static was so jarring. There’s a reason that no other shooter copied it.

Though, I know these were holdover from 64 Rare shooters, didn’t make it any less boring.

Never got the praise. Very overrated.

Timesplitters 2 and 3 are some of my favorite shooters ever. Also some of the best games of their generation IMO.

Loved the single player campaign and the multiplayer as well. I spent hundred of hours with my brother and friends.

I enjoy playing shooters against human players and bots by the way. I don't really go online a lot, so it's a great feature for me.

Hopefully we get a new entry or a remaster some day. I would buy it instantly.

Talk about it OP 👏🏾👏🏾👏🏾👏🏾👏🏾! The rest could never👏🏾👏🏾

TimeSplitters 2 is one of my favorite game of all time and the best game in the series👏🏾👏🏾👏🏾

Wiped89

This. It was a different industry with different budgets and asset requirements.

And the franchise is dead, so clearly it didn’t work out.

The franchise is only dead because Haze bombed and killed the company. A Timesplitters game instead probably would have performed okay.

I still play Timesplitters 2 with my best friends whenever we have the time to game together. We also play a lot of other games but Timesplitters is something special for us =)

The reason we don't talk about it is because we don't like reopening those old wounds.

It blows my mind to bits that during the generation where online shooters became overly abundant, this franchise never returned. TS2 is brilliant, it's aged in ways but that feature set, whew boy, they don't build them like that anymore.

TP-DK

The franchise is only dead because Haze bombed and killed the company. A Timesplitters game instead probably would have performed okay.

It wasnt just Haze that killed them but also, and probably more, Lucasarts when they cancelled Battlefront 3.

Synless

One of the greats that I put countless hours into as a kid. Why is your picture missing the iconic gingerbread man and the fishbowl head thing?

The weird floaty controls ruined TS1 & TS2 for me. It was always really awkward to make accurate aiming too because of the hard deadzone.

My friend and I kept screwing up the NeoTokyo mission. It was awesome when we finally were patient enough.

The multiplayer felt legendary, like running to the showers to stop being on fire from those damn monkeys.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Plus it implemented a gravity gun before Half-Life 2 (which was obviously just tacked on after HL2's E3 demo, but still, it was clever).

TimeSplitters FP was released five months after Half-Life 2 (March 2005 vs. November 2004).

It was one of the few games on GameCube I could use to pull my college friends (and myself) away from Halo 2. I feel more of a fondness for TS2 for some reason — I put way more time into designing single-player maps in TS2 — but FP was still really good, too.

wmlk

These were great games. Was an impulse buy, but man the co-op/single player campaign was really smooth and enjoyable. Now that I think about it, it's easily the most fun I had playing shooters.

Stencil

I remember getting into FPS with Timesplitters 1 & 2, and then my cousin got this fancy new game called Halo, and while it was fun to play as a group of 4, I never understood it's lack of inclusion of bots. Then, as FPS continued to evolve as a genre, bots only become more omitted. I suppose that's when I lost interest. I was too young to pay for a fledgling online service to play with other opponents.

Huh, so I just noticed something genuinely amazing in Future Perfect. The scope/laser sight has real-time real reflections in its lens.

Here's a comparison showing just that (click the pic to enlarge it), a decade of difference:

TimeSplitters: Future Perfect (2005)
47PgwFn.png

CoD: Black Ops 3 (2015)

If you look closely, the reflection in TS accurately reflects what you see on screen at a zoomed rate. Black Ops 3, as many other modern AAA games do, is put a fake reflection in.

mebizzle

Future Perfect is one of my favorite games of all time. The wackiness of it and the tons of characters were super fun, and the Assault game mode was really ahead of its time.

Like others have said, I'd do terrible things to get an HD version of it.

Top Bottom