• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titan X Launch / Review / Tears Thread

I would sell and get a Titan X. That way you have better single card performance when SLI doesn't work, is buggy, or doesn't scale well.

At first glance I was sure getting a second 980 was the way to go, but after seeing the overclock at 4k (which I'm planning to get a 4k gsync monitor) at a couple of sites

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9059/the-nvidia-geforce-gtx-titan-x-review/17

I'm leaning towards selling the 980 to my brother and getting the Titan X, it's crazy how it keeps up with a 980 sli. Titan X sli though would be a dream.

riflen

Well played.

I'll be picking up two as well. It'll actually be my first time running SLI - I've been sticking with the single cards all along. Has anyone done water cooling on their video cards? Wondering if might be worth it for a dual card setup (or the fans are still able to keep up somehow).

I have my 780 Tis on water. I have to really try hard to get them near 60 degrees.
My next GPUs will also have water blocks added.

A full custom water loop is not trivial or cheap though.

Yeah, gotta find a way to test out those new Titan X' s :D

Yeah, benches have turned my head around on it somewhat, especially @ 1440p. 4K is still a graveyard for GPUs though.

what has turned your head? its right around the 30 to 35% faster we were predicting. the card would be much more appealing if there were custom versions available

LordOfChaos

value-fps.gif

value-99th.gif

Winning on frame times, losing on framerates. More steady/less hiccups, but less total performance in other words. Pick your poison.

So according to:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2015-nvidia-geforce-gtx-titan-x-review

The Titan x overclocked at 4k matches or beats up a 980 sli in most tests. If so that's impressive and makes me confused on what to do. Get another 980 or sell and get Titan X.

Those SLI'd 980's can be overclocked, too. No matter how you slice it, the 980's will get you notably more performance in the majority of situations.

Conversely, no matter how you slice it, SLI does not come without occasional headaches in the form of waiting for good profiles and/or scaling issues.

You might want to wait just a nip and see what's up with the rumored cut-down card from Nvidia. Could well be a 6GB piece with performance close to the Titan X at a ~$650 to $700 price point.

48GB system RAM to use a GPU? I think not.

Lies. Several of the reviews/benchmarks released today were performed on systems with 16GB system RAM.

Why on earth would this graphics card need a minimum of 24 GB of system RAM?

I mean, the chances of someone splurging on this beast and not having at least that much RAM are pretty low, but still.

Sell 970s, Xbox One, and PS4 for Titan X SLI OC or keep?

KEEP.

That's way too much to give up, all for the opportunity to lose some performance over your 770's a lot of the time.

EDIT: oh, you said Titan X SLI. I still think that's too much to give up. Wait a few months and see what they do for the cut-down card (GTX 980Ti, or whatever they wind up calling it). You may well be able to get into an SLI setup of those for $700 less, and not give up much of anything in performance.

A thousand dollars? How much is the profit margin on this thing?

Not as high as you might think at 50% more die size vs 980 at 550 sq mm

I remember when a CPU over 200 sq mm was considered large back in the athlon days

Yields become worse as die size increases since a single silicon defect will make that entire chip defective (or have to be binned down to a less capable chip eg with cores disabled)

Compsiox

Banned
KEEP.

That's way too much to give up, all for the opportunity to lose some performance over your 770's a lot of the time.

Okay thanks. I was talking about Overclocking them but if its still the same answer, then just making sure. If it were a bigger leap I would probably do it.

Hawk269

Well played.

I'll be picking up two as well. It'll actually be my first time running SLI - I've been sticking with the single cards all along. Has anyone done water cooling on their video cards? Wondering if might be worth it for a dual card setup (or the fans are still able to keep up somehow).

Yeah, I have my original Titans currently under H20. I love it. Cards run way cooler, better Overclocks cause the less heat and quieter as well. Rumors are that EK will have blocks within a month or so. Evga will also sell a Titan X with their EK made water blocks as well, not sure if they will make the Evga EK blocks available by themselves or not.

Sell 970s, Xbox One, and PS4 for Titan X SLI OC or keep?

You would lose a TON of exclusive games doing that over the years if you like the console exclusives.

Eg bloodborne comes out soon, and personally I would really miss Destiny, Sunset Overdrive even niche kind of games like Final Fantasy 0

Perhaps get SLI board with 1 titan x then buy another when can afford without selling the consoles?

Compsiox

Banned
You would lose a TON of exclusive games doing that over the years if you like the console exclusives.

Eg bloodborne comes out soon, and personally I would really miss Destiny, Sunset Overdrive even niche kind of games like Final Fantasy 0

Perhaps get SLI board with 1 titan x then buy another when can afford without selling the consoles?

I'll just wait a couple months and decide then. Thanks for your input. I may sell my PS4 no matter what though. The exclusives don't interest me as much as the Xbox ones.

Yeah okay. Ill wait and see.

When do we expect the 980ti/1080 to be announced?

Just tales from my ass, but I'd say late spring/early summer. I'd expect the timing of release to be at least partially tied to what AMD does with the release of the 390X. The 980Ti/1080 will be their counter to it.

Hawk269

This will be my first time in a long time I haven't gone with EVGA...

Same here Smokey.

Do you realize man that for the last few years we have been getting the same tech at the same time and in the same quantity when it comes to GPU's? Remember our Lightnings? Lol. It is funny to think back over the years where one of us would make the move first with the other right behind or almost at the same time. Here we are both ordering 2 Titan X's right after each other! Too funny!!! :)

I'll just wait a couple months and decide then. Thanks for your input. I may sell my PS4 no matter what though. The exclusives don't interest me as much as the Xbox ones.

Yeah that gives you most of the games on the market, best version of most games (PC), a version of console exclusives like Destiny + Xbox One exclusives.

The main thing you give up with PS4 is japanese games like Dragon Quest Heroes, Deep down, Persona 5, Disgaea 5, potentially blood borne (this may be sony funded and thus never comes to PC - not sure)

It can go toe to toe with the PS4, but the XB1 wins it with the extra cloud performance it is getting and the extra DX12 secret sauce smeared all on the motherboard.

About three times the performance or more I think?

You're probably right with the 3x theoretical computational power.

I just bought the 8gb version of the 290x, will likely upgrade to the 390x when it comes out.

what has turned your head? its right around the 30 to 35% faster we were predicting. the card would be much more appealing if there were custom versions available
I was actually expeccting mediocre overclocking. And the overclocking results are great. And yes, will get much nicer with the custom versions.

Hawk269

Zonked out on the sofa, my bad :)

- Don't know when the cards will be available from EVGA and others. That's a completely different department and I don't have visibility on those decisions
- Custom coolers are in the works from various people
- GeForce.co.uk direct sale availability date TBC, so won't speculate at this time
- The real Smokey has clearly been replaced by an imposter. Real Smokey would have bought 4.
- Anything else I miss?

Another question...for those that ordered today *basically right after they were available to order*, when will they begin shipping out? My CC was charged already, but no email confirmation of the order and nothing in relation to when they will ship.

trh

Nifty AND saffron-colored!
I'm always a bit surprised at the second hand market for gpus, I could get more than a 50% return on my GTX 780. Not that I have the cash to spend on a Titan X, but it severely lessens the blow of making any sort of upgrade. Hmm.

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
Same here Smokey.

Do you realize man that for the last few years we have been getting the same tech at the same time and in the same quantity when it comes to GPU's? Remember our Lightnings? Lol. It is funny to think back over the years where one of us would make the move first with the other right behind or almost at the same time. Here we are both ordering 2 Titan X's right after each other! Too funny!!! :)

This will be my first time in a long time I haven't gone with EVGA...

same I usually buy EVGA
I'm not as cool as yall though lol.

Compsiox

Banned
Yeah that gives you most of the games on the market, best version of most games (PC), a version of console exclusives like Destiny + Xbox One exclusives.

The main thing you give up with PS4 is japanese games like Dragon Quest Heroes, Deep down, Persona 5, Disgaea 5, potentially blood borne (this may be sony funded and thus never comes to PC - not sure)

Buy Bloodborne, beat it, and sell it along with PS4. Got it.

Dmented

Banned
This makes me sad. I'm broke and I need a new GPU. I RMA'd my r9 290 with XFX due to it black screening from once every cold boot to it black screening every 10 minutes even while idle. (a common problem with launch r9 290s I've read) They apparently couldn't find anything wrong with it so they're sending it back to me with no replacement. That really sucks.

Anyone else have XFX claim no issues with their RMAs?

iceatcs

Titan X will be mine whenever UK is ready.

Upgrade 570 to Titan X is godsend. Glad I went to upgrading without GPU for while

viveks86

Another question...for those that ordered today *basically right after they were available to order*, when will they begin shipping out? My CC was charged already, but no email confirmation of the order and nothing in relation to when they will ship.

Same situation here. I talked to customer service and they said the order needs to be verified before they initiate shipment. Kinda bullshit, given that they charged the card already.

Top Bottom