• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titanfall 2 Multiplayer Technical Test Impressions (XB1/PS4)

Jarmel

Banned
6tpz0W8.jpg

Might as well have a thread now dedicated just for public impressions and feedback, since people are already playing.

Technical Test Info-
Dates: 19-21 August & 26-28 August
Platforms: Xbone/PS4 (No PC)
Modes: Bounty Hunter/Pilot vs Pilot/Amped Hardpoint
Maps: Homestead & Boomtown
Level Cap: 10

Storm360

Game is super fun, Pilot vs Pilot isn't working for me yet but if you played Titanfall 1 and liked it, you'll love this one.

Jarmel

Banned
I'm only a couple of matches in but I'll be frank, I don't like this as much as Titanfall 1. I need a few more matches to decide but the Titans feel even more useless than they did in Titanfall 1.

It feels a bit slower to me and one of the maps is open so there isn't a lot to wall run on in that map.

Besides that its growing on me. Theres better customization, more variety of gameplay, snipers feel more useful. I like how certain abilities and weapons will enhance your play style if combined correctly.

I feel like the titans, while slower with less dashing, are more versatile. More attacks, and the fact that I can regain health by picking up batteries or assist titans by stealing enemy batteries and giving them to frendly titans is neat and helps me to live longer in the titan. Also adds more ways for titans and pilots to interact.

A few matches in. First time with a TF game. Im still getting a hang of the bounty mode. Saving up a huge bounty just to get shot while its depositing the money is rage inducing. I actually prefer the pilot v pilot mode right now.

CTF or a TDM with titans would have been nice. Maybe the bounty mode will grow on me but so far the people camping at the banks is annoying.

Seems like it is much better suited for a full team in chat coordinating. That could be good. Just having a bunch of randos with no mics running not doing the objective is pretty weak this far.

Game controls like a dream though. Getting a real hang of the slide to jump to grapple hook to jump. Good stuff. The hovering in mid air to shoot a la destiny is good stuff.

RoKKeR

I like it so far, but I don't like how locked down the Titans seem. Maybe this is something exclusive to these tests, but I don't like that you can't change your primary weapon on the Titan.

Bsigg12

Really good video

I laughed when you took out another Titan with your own dropping in. So cool

Welcome to Titanfall.

Game looks great right now.

I like it so far, but I don't like how locked down the Titans seem. Maybe this is something exclusive to these tests, but I don't like that you can't change your primary weapon on the Titan.

You can't anymore. They're essentially hero characters. You can get some rad paint jobs though.

Bsigg12

Greatly dislike what they've done to Titans and stim is neutered.

I do wish we were able to outfit Titans rather than being stuck with the 6 (at launch, 2 for this test) builds. Setting up Titans for different situations in the first game was awesome.

Maps have too much dead space for pilots. The maps in T1 beta were a lot better at blending titan and pilot design

Then modes arent fun. Attrition, Hardpoint, and CTF are simpler and more enjoyable compared to the overly designed Bounty mode.

Gameplay is fun, I like the roping, and that you have to sacrifice other abilities that feel useful

antitrop

Game plays great on a controller, with bumper jumper. Within 30 minutes I was already pulling off cool maneuvers with with the grappling hook, which is a game changer itself.

The default aiming speed is both fast and precise, which is pretty impressive. Usually you have to trade off one or the other, but this feels fantastic. The assist is also extraordinarily generous, as it probably should be.

I feel like the time to kill is insanely fast. Was it similar to the previous Titanfall? I don't remember :lol but besides that, I like it so far. Not a fan of the open map.

RoKKeR

You can't anymore. They're essentially hero characters. You can get some rad paint jobs though.
Hmm, not big on this at all. I liked that you could tailor your Titan to your play style. This strips away some of that personalization.

Kaz42

Game plays great on a controller, with bumper jumper. Within 30 minutes I was already pulling off cool maneuvers with with the grappling hook, which is a game changer itself.

The default aiming speed is both fast and precise, which is pretty impressive. Usually you have to trade off one or the other, but this feels fantastic. The assist is also extraordinarily generous, as it probably should be.

Is bumper jumper a thing that is referring to the xbox one elite controller or is it a control scheme for regular controllers?

I feel like I disagree with some of the impressions here. I think the Titans are much more useful here than in the first game. They are more durable thanks to the rodeo changes, therefore they feel more formidable when you see them. And that precision laser is next level good.

Grappling hook is really good once you get a feel for it and what it's capable of.

As for the modes, I really like Bounty Hunt. It's something different from "shoot other team, get points" and I think it blends the AI in well. I'm not really seeing any of the faults that some are mentioning, such as it just becoming a "camp on the other team's vault" game. I feel like I rarely have a problem of people camping in those spots.

So far I am definitely enjoying it more than the first game, and I really enjoyed that one.

jacobs34

Played four matches tonight. It was fun. This is my first time playing Titanfall and I can tell it's going to take awhile to get used to the movement, especially when you add in the grapple hook. I actually thought this game would play a little faster than it does, perhaps it just the maps but I find it hard to get up to full speed all that often. I play a lot of Destiny and I'm used to flying around maps via Titan Skating, I figured that's how this game would play all the time, but there tends to be a lot of dead areas where you just kind of have to hoof it until you can find another grapple point to get going again.

Playing as a Titan is a really fun and there is a fair bit of strategy involved, both in which abilities you use and where you generally want to be on the map to avoid getting ambushed by pilots. I'm guessing they have two of the more vanilla Titans in this Test given what Ive seen in the the trailers and I'm interested to see how the different abilities changes up the general ebb and flow of a match.

It was fun seeing at least one or two Gaffers in every match I played. We are one of the only Networks up and running so far. I'm calling it a night, but I should be on tomorrow morning to get a few more matches in. Good stuff, Respawn.

f@luS

More than a member.
Got my code thanks to the their thread. Downloading. Can't wait my first titanfall

Velikost

Only played two matches so I can't say anything for certain yet. The sound is fucking meaty, first thing I noticed. Didn't like how the Training Grounds didn't touch on the new Titans or grappling hook at all; I would've skipped it had I known that.

Only used the laser Titan so far, but it feels super sluggish; one short ass boost that's super slow to recharge (haven't unlocked the two boost perk yet). Not super clear on the battery system; you use that to regain your health and get shields? Don't like that you have no recharging shield by default.

Only played two matches so I can't say anything for certain yet. The sound is fucking meaty, first thing I noticed. Didn't like how the Training Grounds didn't touch on the new Titans or grappling hook at all; I would've skipped it had I known that.

Only used the laser Titan so far, but it feels super sluggish; one short ass boost that's super slow to recharge (haven't unlocked the two boost perk yet). Not super clear on the battery system; you use that to regain your health and get shields? Don't like that you have no recharging shield by default.

When you rodeo a Titan the first time, you get the battery from that Titan. If you already have one, the battery goes on the ground. When you have a battery, any friendly Titan you get on (yours or a teammates') will be given a pretty hefty shield. It's not rechargeable, but it feels stronger than the shield in the original game.

dumb question- is there a risk/reward system in place for the cash/banking system in game? Seems like a good way to promote hanging on to it (and potentially losing it with death).

SwolBro

Banned
something felt off, switch look stick aiming to classic and BOOM. Played like 10 games now. So fucking fun.

i also switched.

pilot run always option separate from the titan was a nice addition. something i've been wanting since the launch of the original. now i can have my pilot always sprinting while my titan has to click to run.

Gonna go back to pc for this one? Never played with you But you're on My origins friends list. I remember you being obsessed with the 1st one

Jarmel

Banned
Rodeo doesn't do shit now. I rodeo'd one Titan roughly five times putting grenades in at least three to four times and it still didn't kill it.

BokehKing

Banned
Was only able to play one game of bounty hunter but plan on playing more tomorrow on my day off. Speed is still there.

Grappling hook is clutch once you learn how to use it properly.

Didn't even mean to and I hooked some dude and kicked him in the face, it was definitely a cool moment that I wish I had planned.

Guns fire and feel amazing. They got punch

BokehKing

Banned
Rodeo doesn't do shit now. I rodeo'd one Titan roughly five times putting grenades in at least three to four times and it still didn't kill it.
It's a technical test, pretty sure in one of those videos I watched yesterday it said you only have to do it twice. Grappling onto a Titan and pulling that shield out and placing it in your Titan is nerve wracking but worth it.

Anyone know what engine this game is running on? Is it Souce again?
Yes

RoKKeR

Uhh... how do you invite friends? When I click on "Invite Friends" nothing happens... XBO

Don't see an active roster anywhere.

BokehKing

Banned
dumb question- is there a risk/reward system in place for the cash/banking system in game? Seems like a good way to promote hanging on to it (and potentially losing it with death).
The risk is you lose half every time you get killed.

Uhh... how do you invite friends? When I click on "Invite Friends" nothing happens... XBO

Don't see an active roster anywhere.
First post in the code begging thread lists how.

Jarmel

Banned
It's a technical test, pretty sure in one of those videos I watched yesterday it said you only have to do it twice. Grappling onto a Titan and pulling that shield out and placing it in your Titan is nerve wracking but worth it.

Unless it was a bug, I call bullshit on that. It's taken a lot more than two grenades to take down a Titan.

Alright, been playing for about an hour now.

Base movement feels slightly slower., but ok.

Right now I'm having issues with the map design. Finding it really hard to navigate wall running. Either I run out of things to wall run or where I should be able to continue wall running, there are trees or something in the way and I can't see.

It may be because of lack of experience in the maps though.

Top Bottom