• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titanfall 2 Multiplayer Technical Test Impressions (XB1/PS4)

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
I got that same survey, it was fairly long too.

Took me about 20 minutes to complete and it sort of screamed

"OH GOD, PLEASE TELL US IT'S NOT AS BAD AS THE INTERNET SAYS"

I'm guessing pre-order numbers are soft or cancellations are high.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Is there a link to the survey like there was with the BF1 one or is this one more private? I like doing these sorts of surveys.

TheFlow

Banned
cancelled my preorder. Will rent it. if I like it sure I will pay the 60 bucks. Now that last guardian and FFXV are delayed I have more free time for other games.

Given the buzz around Titanfall 2 right now and the slate of big releases coming in the Fall, I will be really surprised if there is a Titanfall 3 at this point, which is a real shame.

I agree. Sadly, I can't feel too bad for the franchise if so. They went back on choices (batteries) that they already decided weren't fun in the original. I'm not worried about the studio though. They'll get jobs I'm sure, I know they've got that Star Wars game coming.

Newlove

I...liked what I played of Titanfall 2, and I was a fan of the first. I get some of the comments but I also think there is way too much negativity. It will be interesting to see if those vocal concerns are shared by reviewers. Interesting that we get such a outcry to return to the first games exact mechanics. Just as an observation but this is perhaps why Call of Duty hardly takes risks.

I...liked what I played of Titanfall 2, and I was a fan of the first. I get some of the comments but I also think there is way too much negativity. It will be interesting to see if those vocal concerns are shared by reviewers. Interesting that we get such a outcry to return to the first games exact mechanics. Just as an observation but this is perhaps why Call of Duty hardly takes risks.

Agree

I actually LOVED both weekends and probably put a dozen hours if not more into them

Yeah i dont get it at all. I played a load of TF1 maxed out everything in the Beta with maybe 30+ hours of game time over both weekends and i think TF2 plays great. The maps we played are pretty bad but everything else is rock fucking solid.

StoOgE

but I also think there is way too much negativity.

I think the negativity is well deserved. These are design decisions that Respawn specifically pointed out as being bad design decisions in the original game.

Which is absolutely not to say that the game can't be fun or that you were wrong to have fun with the game.

But, you can't fundamentally change the gameplay of a franchise in significant ways and not expect backlash.

Does the survey ask specific questions about what players liked/didn't like?

I'm guessing EA/Respawn probably has a pretty good handle on overall interest/beta reception from preorder numbers, so it makes more sense to me that they're querying players in order to determine what the biggest issues were so they can fix them before launch.

StoOgE

Does the survey ask specific questions about what players liked/didn't like?

I'm guessing EA/Respawn probably has a pretty good handle on overall interest/beta reception from preorder numbers, so it makes more sense to me that they're querying players in order to determine what the biggest issues were so they can fix them before launch.

Either that or someone in marketing is trying to figure out whats gone wrong, how bad the issue really is and if this means they need to nuke the franchise from orbit.

The fact that we are getting these sorts of questions without an announced delay tells me this could be a post mortem situation of what went wrong.

If the responses are in-line with what we expect given feedback here and Reddit and we don't see a delay it will mean:

1) Most people liked the game and it's a vocal minority who have an issue with it.
2) They know the feedback isn't good and are looking for an explanation as to why to figure out if the brand has any potential left.

Given the tone of this survey, 1 seems extremely unlikely. I'm guessing they have turned off most Titanfall players and are failing to pull away the CoD crowd they were aiming for.. now it's a question of if they intend to do anything about it.

Gator86

Either that or someone in marketing is trying to figure out whats gone wrong, how bad the issue really is and if this means they need to nuke the franchise from orbit.

The fact that we are getting these sorts of questions without an announced delay tells me this could be a post mortem situation of what went wrong.

If the responses are in-line with what we expect given feedback here and Reddit and we don't see a delay it will mean:

1) Most people liked the game and it's a vocal minority who have an issue with it.
2) They know the feedback isn't good and are looking for an explanation as to why to figure out if the brand has any potential left.

Given the tone of this survey, 1 seems extremely unlikely. I'm guessing they have turned off most Titanfall players and are failing to pull away the CoD crowd they were aiming for.. now it's a question of if they intend to do anything about it.

Simply astounding considering everyone just wanted them to take 1, add more stuff, smooth out performance, and launch that. They have stated their satisfaction with sales numbers on 1 before, even without the Playstation universe. Why would they reconfigure so much stuff not in need of fixing when it would have been easier, and better, to not?

Also got the survey. Took me around 30 mins to answer all the questions and I feel a bit crappy having to write so much negativity, but I had to be honest.

Has anyone ever received a survey like this so close to a release?

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
Also got the survey. Took me around 30 mins to answer all the questions and I feel a bit crappy having to write so much negativity, but I had to be honest.

I've never gotten one with such specific questions that were framed around many of the complaints from a demo, in this case the tech test.

Izuna

Banned
Man I'll feel so out of the loop if R2 somehow does very well in it's current state. I would accept that, it's R1 enough that I would appreciate being part of a popular game...

But it won't happen, will it?

Man Respawn has the most critical fans lol

:'( how did this happen to saint Titanfall. Why did we get a CoD clone?

I'm still likely getting the game, but in all the years I've been gaming (since '89) this stands as one if not the most disappointing sequel that I had expectations of. I'm not saying the R2 is a "bad" game, but just given how incredible the first one played, it boggles my mind even right now how they could have reasoned changing that incredible formula so much.

Alienous

Taking survey now.

Bad news for some one you i liked a lot about the tech test.

Bad news?

If you like it that's great, I hope you enjoy the game when it launches. I'd just like to be part of that group also.

There's every chance that improvements will mean that people who didn't like it might, and heck, you might even like it more. Win-win.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Bad news?

If you like it that's great, I hope you enjoy the game when it launches. I'd just like to be part of that group also.

There's every chance that improvements will mean that people who didn't like it might, and heck, you might even like it more. Win-win.
It's so weird for me giving feedback on this game without having played the first. I had a ton of fun with the tech test but almost every complaint is because something was different from a game I haven't played so I can't weigh in on that at all. I have also found that most of the suggestions for improvements are ones I wouldn't be opposed to.

E92 M3

Didn't get the survey :(

I am keeping my Deluxe edition to support Respawn, but yeah...no idea why they went with the 3-lane map design.

Their whole mantra of making Titanfall less overwhelming/exhausting wasn't grounded in reality. Only CoD fans were overwhelmed or confused lol.

The survery does ask you about the differences between Titanfall 1 and 2, so they know if you played the original or not.

It has lot of specific questions like if the maps provide enough wall running areas, and how you felt about titan survivability, etc

There was a survey of similar size released for Battlefield 1, so this isn't totally odd situation for TF2, EA is apparently randomly sending out surveys to the testers of their current games

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
The survery does ask you about the differences between Titanfall 1 and 2, so they know if you played the original or not.

It has lot of specific questions like if the maps provide enough wall running areas, and how you felt about titan survivability, etc

There was a survey of similar size released for Battlefield 1, so this isn't totally odd situation for TF2, EA is apparently randomly sending out surveys to the testers of their current games
I got one like this after the Mirror's Edge beta as well.

Finished the Survey and I gotta say that I appreciate that they would send me something so thorough

I was honest and am still super fucking hyped for next month :)

From those who have said they got it so far and replied as such, it kinda sounds like shits going to be quite divided..

They honestly need to earn some good will, so why not release an ACTUAL MP Demo/Beta with these supposedly more traditional Titanfall maps?

Put your money where your mouth is and shut up the naysayers!

Agree

I actually LOVED both weekends and probably put a dozen hours if not more into them

Yep it was great. They should just port the first game over to PS4 if people really want the first game again so bad.

I went back to titanfall 1 and found it more limited than titanfall 2. I actually missed the battery system and the variety of abilities in the non-customizable titans.

MrNelson

Banned
I did my part.

I'll probably still Redbox it to give it one last chance at release, but considering they were 0/3 with maps during the test, on top of all the issues I already have with the changes they made, I'm not going to buy it. Hopefully the Titanfall 1 community holds on for a few more years and they learn from their mistakes with Titanfall 3.

spannicus

Damn, I really wish a got an email for that survey.
Me too, would have been nice if they found out who played the first game and sent us all emails.

Not me, the First game was praised at game shows and won a ton of awards for how different it was. there seems to be very little hype for Titanfall 2 compared to the first. I really hope the game does well, but it feels like Respawn dropped the ball here by changing too much. Playing the first game gets my adrenaline pumping and I have to pull myself away. After playing the tech test I was immediately disappointed and had to go back to playing the first game to get that sense of satisfaction that came with the first game.
My only complaint with Titanfall 1 was too little content. I loved everything else about it. Biggest gripe I have with Titanfall 2 is the removal of 1st person animations and the rodeo which makes no damn sense. Best wishes Respawn, I am hoping that the game turns out awesome for everyone.

Wish I got the survey. I have the best feedback, tremendous feedback.

It feels like there's a black cloud over this game and that sucks. I really want it to be good.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
got the survey email, typed up my thoughtful impressions of the tech test (hint, very disappointed), then lost my connection mid completion and lost it all. not even motivated to redo it =(

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
Bumping because it looks like we're going to be getting new info on the game in the coming week based off this tweet :

https://twitter.com/Titanfallgame/status/778335896726712320
This Pilot is getting ready for a big week... #Titanfall2

Cs00E5zUMAAUaex.jpg:large

Revas

No survey for me :/

Turns out I did get the survey. Took me about 30-45 minutes to type up all my thoughts both positive and negative. Seems like they're open to changing some core aspects of the game based on some of the questions.

Bumping because it looks like we're going to be getting new info on the game in the coming week based off this tweet :

https://twitter.com/Titanfallgame/status/778335896726712320

I thought this was some batshit awesome Titanfall/Metroid mashups at first glance. Glad we're getting more info SOON.

Top Bottom