• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titanfall has maximum player count of 12 (alongside AI) [Respawn comments post #558]

NeoGash

ROTFLMAO!

Heart Pounding 6 vs 6 multiplayer action confirmed!

Obviously never played 4v4 Gears of War. One of the most heart pounding games out there, and there was always a break at the end of the game with trash talking in the lobby.

@ DKo5

When do you think you guys will announce the resolution for XB1? I'm sure if it was 1080p already it would have been touted by now, but when do you think people can expect an announcement? The day the game releases by a tech site or a month before by the developer?
Also, dedicated servers?

The game looks amazing, truly. I doubt if you knew the answers (answer) that it would be wise in addressing it, so ignore it if you wish. But dedicated servers? Yay or nay? I don't want Halo or Killzone dedicated servers, I mean real ones.

Bsigg12

So the default multiplayer option will force people to fight CPU AI via the mechs? That sounds undesirable.

Huh? The mechs are controllable by players but you can hop and set them to AI follow mode.

Maybe I just don't understand what you're asking.

Paz

It's not an all or nothing situation. There are happy mediums for every genre and every game. What works in one doesn't work in others. Nowhere have I said Titanfall must be 32v32 or it will fail. I am simply saying that, in my experience, I like online shooters that have larger player counts. Why? Because they tend to have less reliance on each individual player and more chances for interactions with other human players. Some people like the really well done atmosphere of previous 4v4 or 5v5 titles. I don't. What is so confusing about that?

What's confusing is you inferring that these games offer the same experience with varying player count, but Titan Fall is clearly not offering a n Unreal Tournament style team DM with 12 characters on the map, so discussing it as if you know that 12v12 would be a better experience because you enjoy that more in Unreal Tournament is a fairly irrelevant point. There's absolutely nothing there that someone working on Titan Fall can take away, since they are making a different style of game.

I'd say it's equally as irrelevant as those in this thread saying that 6v6 is perfect because that's how they liked to play game X. they might find Titan Fall a horrendous experience just as you might love it. People should be putting in more effort to understand what this game is, rather than imagining it as a sci fi/modern version of whatever their favorite FPS of the past was.

antitrop

Drew in here mixing it up with us really shows the confidence he has in his and his team's project, and also the desire to take the contribution of the community to heart. Couldn't possibly be more excited. Respawn seems awesome.

Bsigg12

Drew in here mixing it up with us really shows the confidence he has in his and his team's project. Couldn't possibly be more excited.

Wait until the next trailer drops and we'll have to see how excited you are then! I'm pretty pumped myself.

crazyprac

I appreciate insiders/developers commenting on GAF before releases to explain/answer questions but it would be amazing if they come back after the release and answer new questions/concerns...

I just wanted to say DKo5, I really appreciate and respect the hell out of you guys at Respawn.

I'm disappointed to not be playing this game on my console of choice, but I wish you great success with it. It sounds like you guys have put a lot of thought and effort into it and it looks like a fantastic game.
Same here. I won't be getting this first outing but the game looks fantastic. The gameplay speaks for itself.

Where's the variety, Titanfall? The value.... You've already cut out any SP mode...
This might be the most reasonable criticism I've read in this thread so far. Variety and breadth and value are some big unanswered questions for this title.

Bluth54

6v6 is fine if that's what the game is designed for.

When I first started playing Team Fortress 2 I would play on 32 player instant or fast respawn servers and I eventually realized how awful that was.

The game was designed for 24 players max and to have longer respawn times. That's all I play now.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Not yet talking about specific PC stuff. That time will come...

t5ZSTA6.gif

Can't wait :)

Grief.exe

ROTFLMAO!

Small tinsy tiny maps have 3 vs 3 or 6 vs 6. Medium sized map have 8 vs 8 or 12 vs 12. Big maps have 16 vs 16 or 24 vs 24.

If the maps in TitanFall are big, but only has 6 v 6, then this is a dealbreaker.

All of the maps probably have the same size.

Forgot you guys have said that before, my apologies.

Maybe we will get the Steam release announcement during that time period.

Obviously never played 4v4 Gears of War. One of the most heart pounding games out there, and there was always a break at the end of the game with trash talking in the lobby.

@ DKo5

When do you think you guys will announce the resolution for XB1? I'm sure if it was 1080p already it would have been touted by now, but when do you think people can expect an announcement? The day the game releases by a tech site or a month before by the developer?
Also, dedicated servers?

The game looks amazing, truly. I doubt if you knew the answers (answer) that it would be wise in addressing it, so ignore it if you wish. But dedicated servers? Yay or nay? I don't want Halo or Killzone dedicated servers, I mean real ones.

It was revealed to be 720p and 60fps a while back.

K.Sabot

We've got other games (by other games I mean 1 game) that do large battles, which is probably why people are upset.

IW knows their shit when it come to small player battles, so I'm going to let them do their thing. That speed of gameplay is not very conducive to large player battles, the Quake series, for example is probably best played with 2-4 players. The only high speed gameplay with large player counts I can stand by is the Tribes series, but those aren't as focused on hitscan weapons and are less emphasized on cover and buildings.

If IW thinks their game's rhythm works best at 6v6, by all means I believe them.

DocSeuss

People like me get really big headaches without an FOV of 95-110, so, um, if you guys don't do thaaaaaaaaaaat... I will be sad.

You wouldn't want to make me sad, do you?

bunbun777

Some off you clowns just had to express your opinion on how bad MAG was huh? Well here's another clown saying it might not have been the most popular shooter but it was great with a dynamic not seen in other games. Sorry for the off topic remark but you really don't need to bring up big match sizes to make yourself feel better about TF, or maybe you do idk.

Having not played the game, I assume?, you probably shouldn't yet say they don't add to your experience. You very well might not like them in the game, but again - save judgements until playtime! That said, they do provide more than just "cannon fodder". Thats one thing they do provide for newer players, but they are a source of earning XP, earning your Titan faster, and other things that we haven't yet talked about. They aren't some huge "OMG GUYS WE FOUND THE ANSWER", but they do add flavor and a unique angle to the game that aren't currently available in other games; at least none that I've been playing.

Maybe this is a dumb question, but how does the ai contribute to your enjoyment with the nuts and bolts gunplay of the game? The reason I ask is because in every multiplayer shooter I've played playing against bots is nothing but a disappointment. I can see how they can contribute to the game in these other ways, but I can't help but feel like running around and killing ai in this intense action packed game is going to be underwhelming.

DocGaf

Neo Member
Damn 20 pages of back and forth over player count?
There's been plenty of great shooters with similar player counts. Games that have higher player counts tend to play differently and lose the team play aspect that games with lower counts have.
If you have 6 players on your side you're going to depend more on each other in order to win. In games like BF where you have 32/64 players it becomes almost a free for all. Some people play to win but most are simply out to gain for themselves whatever they are looking for be it exp, unlocks, or achievements.

Like the man said if high player count is your thing there are other games for you to play. I'd say 90% of the people bitching about player count have never played a shooter with a low count before and don't realize what they've missed with games like SOCOM and CS.

On a side note, maybe this "outrage" will be a good thing for those of us who like to play and win as a team. All the out for themselves types can keep on playing BF and CoD leaving TF for us. It could cut down on the number of knuckleheads we get matched with.

hwateber

I thought there would at least be an option for higher player counts but I do prefer the tight gameplay of smaller teams. Fond memory of cs 1.6 5v5 scrims

Some off you clowns just had to express your opinion on how bad MAG was huh? Well here's another clown saying it might not have been the most popular shooter but it was great with a dynamic not seen in other games. Sorry for the off topic remark but you really don't need to bring up big match sizes to make yourself feel better about TF, or maybe you do idk.

All I remember about MAG was that it had the misfortune of releasing on the same day as ME2.

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
This actually makes me more excited.
Me too. I was only mildly interested in Titanfall before. When design decisions are made to reinforce one another, rather than simply being tacked on to boost a feature list, the results tend to be great. And player count is a design decision--it fundamentally changes so many things about the game. Obvious stuff like the level layout and pacing of the game, but subtler stuff too.

No wonder so many multiplayer shooters feel so cookie-cutter. A big segment of the audience will rail against totally reasonable design decisions and prefer a safe, homogenized sort of design. I'm glad Respawn is resisting that route.

HariKari

We have dedicated servers for all platforms, hosted on Microsoft's cloud. Here's an article Jon Shiring wrote after E3 to explain it a bit. Your response still makes the assumption that big player counts = community servers. Having been a part of quite a few PC FPS communities, I know exactly what you like about them, why they're good, and why they're different than the average P2P matchmaking system.

I'm not sure why you are trying to explain what dedicated servers are or what they do to me. Suffice to say I'll take matchmaking to Azure servers over what we got in MW2. ;)

You tease.

Its mostly the consistency of firefights. Lower player counts and there starts to be too many lulls in the action, too many "Hrmm... where to go now..." thoughts going through your head. Higher than it and there's just too much. You lose the ability to "keep it all from spilling over", so to speak, in your brain. 6v6 hit upon the sweet spot of being able to keep track of everything you're seeing, all the information coming in from your POV, the mini map, the obituary scroll, your teammates chatter, etc. Most players are usually still feeling quite in control of what they're doing, where they're going, and what they want to accomplish. Beyond 6v6 and it quickly turned into much more of a random mosh pit of "How did I die?" and feeling like there was nothing that could have been done to NOT die. Thats an important distinction to make.

A driving mantra for this game, as cheesy as it sounds, is what we dubbed MLLM. Minute to Learn, Lifetime to Master. Like Chess, or Go. Players quickly feel like they can get in and have fun. Thats not the "hard" part to accomplish with this. The hard part is, after 5, 10, 20, 100 hours - what is the player learning? Are they feeling like they have the ability to increase their skill at the game, or have they hit a ceiling? Are their wins and losses based on something they have control over, or is it purely luck/chance? Higher than 6v6 was really fast ruining this goal.

Thank you for sharing and helping ease the concerns of many people reading this thread. I disagree with the notion that (some) players are incapable of tracking more info, but it seems you are aiming for a certain experience which is commendable. From the sounds of it, the game seems built around the new player experience and possibly appealing to people who have disliked shooters in the past. Is that a stretch? I'm not a new player. I've been playing shooters for well over ten years now. What is there for those of us who are experienced players?

And, just because I should ask it: Why not give players the option for larger matches? Beyond the understandable concerns that a new player might play it and hate it, why not allow for those of us who prefer a little chaos to have at it?

God damn this game is a lightening rod. I wonder why?
Its the Fulda Gap of the console wars. EA. Microsoft. A moneyhat exclusive. Takes advantage of the cloud. From the makers of COD. The biggest reason to buy an Xbox. Multiplayer only. Hyped by the big names in gaming press. And now its 6 v 6 max with a strong AI component.

Its a perfect storm of divisiveness. A potent recipe for knee-jerk vitriol, and sometimes even batshit fucking madness by the look of things.

But God damn does it look amazing in motion in terms of moment to moment action. Letting the gameplay do all the talking ala "Battlefield moments" was a great idea.

Huh? The mechs are controllable by players but you can hop and set them to AI follow mode.

Maybe I just don't understand what you're asking.
Right, so in multiplayer, you will be facing CPU mechs a lot, right? Because players will have set them to autopilot?

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
This is the first I've heard anyone classify and flesh out the FPS/MOBA idea. Even if I do think our obsessive need to classify things is a huge weakness. I'm a bit excited now. I'll be sure to get my gaming laptop going again. Dial down the resolution a bit an we're good to go.

12 players is just bueno. Absolutely top for any competitive online FPS (and 6v6 is the best mode as Enemy Territory already proved 10 years ago).

Don't worry people, I am sure that there will be 64 vs 64 friendly fire off servers up in no time.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.

Origin-only
FOV capped at 20
Framerate capped at 25 to be more cinematic
Player movement locked to up-down-left-right arrows
Crouch is locked to k for krouch. Toggle only.
Every single weapon is hitscan including weapons that are otherwise projectiles in the console version
Symmetrically encrypted read-only config.ini
Menus are made of really big buttons you have to scroll through
Resolution capped at 480p
Tressfx only available on AMD cards
Uplay, Konami, and Square Enix proprietary accounts also required to play game. Must sign in every 30 minutes.
No server browser
Xbox One gets $20 map packs two months before pc
TF2 hat preorder bonus
Preorder at gamestop to receive exclusive gold bling weapons camo (power to the players)
No items fox only

HariKari

Right, so in multiplayer, you will be facing CPU mechs a lot, right? Because players will have set them to autopilot?

DKo5 explained that they will be less lethal in AI mode. So it's probably something you only want to do when you need to get to an objective your Titan can't reach.

Willy Wanka

my god this avatar owns
Obviously I can't judge the Titan AI until I play it but the player count is a complete non-issue if the game is designed around that number. My favourite game/mod of all time was designed around 6v6 (Natural Selection) so consider me unperturbed.

xJavonta

Banned
I hope that controller players are forced on their own servers, I doubt K&M players would be too happy about someone that can not hit the broadside of a barn on their team.
Not all controller players are incompetent. I know a few people that I can run laps around when I'm on a controller and they're using a M/KB (granted they're terrible players)

I would rather hear about adjustable FOV.
If no one else tweets at them I will
Edit: Nvm, just saw his post.

Bsigg12

From what it sounds like, they don't become crazy killing machines and are more vulnerable if you opt to set it to autopilot. It'll definitely be an interesting risk/reward because you do have to get kills to get the ability to call down a Titan so if you call one down, set it to autopilot, and it gets destroyed, you are suddenly set back.

Azriell

6v6 does seem pretty low at first glance, but after reading some of the thread I feel pretty good about it. I do tend to prefer slightly larger player counts (although I'm also starting to come around to the idea that super large isn't always great either), but I see no reason to doubt Respawn so far and otherwise the game looks pretty fun so I'm excited to see how it turns out.

Origin-only
FOV capped at 20
Framerate capped at 25 to be more cinematic
Player movement locked to up-down-left-right arrows
Crouch is locked to k for krouch. Toggle only.
Every single weapon is hitscan including weapons that are otherwise projectiles in the console version
Symmetrically encrypted read-only config.ini
Menus are made of really big buttons you have to scroll through
Resolution capped at 480p
Tressfx only available on AMD cards
Uplay, Konami, and Square Enix proprietary accounts also required to play game. Must sign in every 30 minutes.
No server browser
Xbox One gets $20 map packs two months before pc
TF2 hat preorder bonus
Preorder at gamestop to receive exclusive gold bling weapons camo (power to the players)
No items fox only

Loooool

I used to know many peeps that played with arrowkeys, with right control as the "shoot" button (mouse1 as obviously forward)

Top Bottom