• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titanfall has maximum player count of 12 (alongside AI) [Respawn comments post #558]

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Its mostly the consistency of firefights. Lower player counts and there starts to be too many lulls in the action, too many "Hrmm... where to go now..." thoughts going through your head. Higher than it and there's just too much. You lose the ability to "keep it all from spilling over", so to speak, in your brain. 6v6 hit upon the sweet spot of being able to keep track of everything you're seeing, all the information coming in from your POV, the mini map, the obituary scroll, your teammates chatter, etc. Most players are usually still feeling quite in control of what they're doing, where they're going, and what they want to accomplish. Beyond 6v6 and it quickly turned into much more of a random mosh pit of "How did I die?" and feeling like there was nothing that could have been done to NOT die. Thats an important distinction to make.

If that's true then why do go and clutter that up anyway with adding a bunch of bots to run around on top of those players? That's the main part that bothers me. What roll are these bots supposed to serve other than cannon fodder for people that suck at games?

If the game is truly designed for 6v6 there shouldn't be a need to throw in a bunch of bots that are designed to look and act like players.

Tyydal

Neo Member
Absolutely nothing wrong with 6v6. Works just fine in CoD - I just hope the maps are right for it, though the reply from the developer makes it sound so.

Nags

Banned
Drew in here mixing it up with us really shows the confidence he has in his and his team's project, and also the desire to take the contribution of the community to heart. Couldn't possibly be more excited. Respawn seems awesome.

texans-cheerleader-o.gif

I like your enthusiasm!

kitch9

Banned
Obviously never played 4v4 Gears of War. One of the most heart pounding games out there, and there was always a break at the end of the game with trash talking in the lobby.

@ DKo5

When do you think you guys will announce the resolution for XB1? I'm sure if it was 1080p already it would have been touted by now, but when do you think people can expect an announcement? The day the game releases by a tech site or a month before by the developer?
Also, dedicated servers?

The game looks amazing, truly. I doubt if you knew the answers (answer) that it would be wise in addressing it, so ignore it if you wish. But dedicated servers? Yay or nay? I don't want Halo or Killzone dedicated servers, I mean real ones.

Yes Gears of War was truly heart pounding.

In fact it's pounding now just thinking about it.

K.Sabot

Loooool

I used to know many peeps that played with arrowkeys, with right control as the "shoot" button (mouse1 as obviously forward)

I played all shooters until CS 1.5 with arrow keys because that's how my Father did it (he uses it because his buy scripts in CounterStrike were on the numpad).

I also put jump on right mouse button because ironsights weren't a thing back in those times.

Low numbers can be really good depending on the game.

People expected (myself included) COD with mechs, it seems they are at least trying to make things right.

Darmik

If that's true then why do go and clutter that up anyway with adding a bunch of bots to run around on top of those players? That's the main part that bothers me. What roll are these bots supposed to serve other than cannon fodder for people that suck at games?

If the game is truly designed for 6v6 there shouldn't be a need to throw in a bunch of bots that are designed to look and act like players.

Pretty sure the point is to feel like you're blowing away dozens of people In the titan without other players getting frustrated. Remember it's meant to feel like a campaign experience in multiplayer. Not a standard deathmatch game.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Absolutely nothing wrong with 6v6. Works just fine in CoD - I just hope the maps are right for it, though the reply from the developer makes it sound so.

No there's not anything wrong with 6v6 if the game is designed for it, but as of right now it seems like they designed a 12v12 game, and then forced player-like bots to take over half of your team, and I haven't heard a good explanation for why that is yet other than to make the game easier.

Unless I'm missing something that is...

Paz

Except the very person you are quoting has repeatedly said they are not designed to act like players, and the videos show they are clearly marked as Militia.

Edit - In response to the above post, they used the word 'dozens' when talking about the AI controlled character count, it's not a 12v12 game cut down to 6v6. It's a 6v6 game with a shitload of non player characters for you to destroy... Like a MOBA, or any other number of games that have NPC's to kill in multiplayer.

Ryan_IGN

Hmm, I think I'm going to go ahead and trust Vince and his team on this player-count thing. They're only the people that created a multiplayer game so successful that literally the entire industry has spent the past 5+ years trying to copy it. No big deal...

Also, I've played Titanfall and Drew's comment in this thread about a pounding heart during matches is not really an exaggeration. There's a lot of action searing your eyeballs at any given moment and it does feel pretty intense, in an awesome this-is-what-video-games-are-supposed-to-be kind of way.

NeoGash

Yes Gears of War was truly heart pounding.

In fact it's pounding now just thinking about it.

Lol it happens. When your team is dead and you are facing 4 other hulking aliens around a dark map it gets to you.
It's not a stretch to think that the guy who played Titanfall is telling the truth when he says it is heart pounding. Whatever though, I don't really care.

Lol it happens. When your team is dead and you are facing 4 other hulking aliens around a dark map it gets to you.
It's not a stretch to think that the guy who played Titanfall is telling the truth when he says it is heart pounding. Whatever though, I don't really care.
wasnt gears like that since it was round based with no respawn? titan has respawn i believe.

hao chi

I'm not interested in Titalfall (bored of shooters at this point) but 6v6 is fine. CoD4 felt great with 6v6, so I doubt it'll be an issue for Titanfall. I actually prefer smaller teams in shooters anyway, so this wouldn't deter me if I still played multiplayer shooters.

Horp

There's nothing wrong with 0v0 if the map is designed for it tbh. I get what they are saying; we are wrong to have an opinion on how many players we like to play versus in multiplayer games because we don't know jack shit and they are experts. No point having this discussion guys because they have already told us they are doing the right thing.

NeoGash

wasnt gears like that since it was round based with no respawn? titan has respawn i believe.

Yes, it has Respawn (bad joke lol). Any game can make your heart beat faster online, which is my main point. It's funny that the guy from Respawn said that, it read like PR lol, but to discount it as if a game with a low player count can't be taken seriously, well.... (someone did basically say that, which is when I replied).

There's nothing wrong with 0v0 if the map is designed for it tbh. I get what they are saying; we are wrong to have an opinion on how many players we like to play versus in multiplayer games because we don't know jack shit and they are experts. No point having this discussion guys because they have already told us they are doing the right thing.

Maybe you could explain why 6v6 is unacceptable and will be detrimental to the game, then?

Zemm

To the incredibly silly people suggesting a future version (PS4 or otherwise) would support 8v8 or whatever players: Dota 2 is 5v5 on PC where there are no limitations, what a terrible game right? Player counts are only relevant based on game design, sure they could design the game around 64v64, maybe a sequel will be, but clearly this game is designed around 6v6.

Holy crap I can't believe the reactions in this thread, just insanity left and right. Negative reactions ranging from claims of engine limitations, hardware limitations, enforced story elements in multiplayer, claims that the player count is 'trash' without any understanding of context.

I'll tell it to you straight: This thread is the reason why the gaming community is constantly bullshit by publishers PR, and to a large degree they are justified in doing so.

Agreed. I wonder if the people complaining even play fps games regularly. Certainly doesn't seem like it.

Horp

Maybe you could explain why 6v6 is unacceptable and will be detrimental to the game, then?

Cause I like playing versus lots of players?

I've played FPS:s since Doom. I'm no expert, but I know perfectly well what I like. Even considering the fact that this is a new game I haven't tried. I have tried lots of games I hadn't tried before. I've seen the videos, listened to the interviews, read the previews, and when I say I think 6v6 is too small I shouldn't have to be called an arm chair game designer that can't possibly be right (even when only talking about my opinion).

Hoo-doo

Banned
Don't give a fuck about the player count, but I do give a fuck about stuffing AI bots into online matches like this.

I'm going to MP to play against human enemies, who are unpredictable and clever, not AI just following routines.
Neither IW or Respawn have ever shown they can make AI worth a damn so I have my doubts on them being either unique or fun to play against.

Nafai1123

Banned
Cause I like playing versus lots of players?

I've played FPS:s since Doom. I'm no expert, but I know perfectly well what I like. Even considering the fact that this is a new game I haven't tried. I have tried lots of games I hadn't tried before. I've seen the videos, listened to the interviews, read the previews, and when I say I think 6v6 is too small I shouldn't have to be called an arm chair game designer that can't possibly be right (even when only talking about my opinion).

You do realize you don't have an opinion to make seeing as you haven't played the game right? You are making the assumption that a higher player count would be better. If you play the game and still think that's true then it's a valid opinion.

Don't give a fuck about the player count, but I do give a fuck about stuffing AI bots into online matches like this.

I'm going to MP to play against human enemies, who are unpredictable and clever, not AI just following routines.
Neither IW or Respawn have ever shown they can make AI worth a damn so I have my doubts on them being either unique or fun to play against.

Agreed, though maybe not with that harsh of language. Apparently having doubts makes us armchair developers though.

You do realize you don't have an opinion to make seeing as you haven't played the game right? You are making the assumption that a higher player count would be better. If you play the game and still think that's true then it's an valid opinion.

Really, opinions aren't even allowed unless we love Titanfall or something? Give it a rest.

12 pilots wall running around with 12 titans potentially also doing their thing at the same time, including AI, sounds pretty good to me. Beyond that, it isn't even about numbers. It's how it plays and feels. Games like Counter-Strike can handle upwards of about 32 or so players last I checked (been quite a while since I actually played), but the game, in my opinion, is at its best in 5v5 matches.

Horp

You do realize you don't have an opinion to make seeing as you haven't played the game right? You are making the assumption that a higher player count would be better. If you play the game and still think that's true then it's a valid opinion.

So if I tell you I have a fps game where all characters are swimming underwater all the time, you don't get to have an opinion about it; even if it sounds horrible? How about if you see tons of videos showing gameplay, and listening to interviews and previews about it. Still not entitled to an opinion?

Of course you are. You might be extremely surprised of course, just like I might, but I don't go around my life planning around being extremely surprised all the time.

Caayn

It's lower than I expected, I expected something closer to 8v8 or 10v10.
Still interesting to experience it. And reading the post from someone of Respawn in this thread gave me some confidence that, they seem to have put some thought and reasoning behind the decision, it'll work.

If people want higher caps go to the PC version and wait for server hacks that'll allow a higher player cap.

Nafai1123

Banned
So if I tell you I have a fps game where all characters are swimming underwater all the time, you don't get to have an opinion about it; even if it sounds horrible? How about if you see tons of videos showing gameplay, and listening to interviews and previews about it. Still not entitled to an opinion?

Of course you are. You might be extremely surprised of course, just like I might, but I don't go around my life planning around being extremely surprised all the time.

You mean all those positive previews about how fun it is or the limited amount of gameplay we've actually seen? I'm not one of those people going around hyping up Titanfall constantly as the next coming of Christ but I'm at least going to give the game a chance before I complain about design decisions.

Rayme

12 amped players.
12 giant mechs.
Dozens of infantry.
Wallrunning, speed boosting, double-jumping, ejecting, rodeo takedowns, hundreds of missiles, pilots ripped out of cockpits, anti-titan ordnance, dropships, droppods, enormous explosions, tons of stuff yet to be revealed, and... etc.

This is not a calm game.

Tell me honestly: Would Street Fighter be a better game if it was 128v128 because it had more human interactions at once? Or any number of other games with small player limits, such as all the MOBA's being talked about in this thread.

...I like you.

There are no bots.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Except the very person you are quoting has repeatedly said they are not designed to act like players, and the videos show they are clearly marked as Militia.

Edit - In response to the above post, they used the word 'dozens' when talking about the AI controlled character count, it's not a 12v12 game cut down to 6v6. It's a 6v6 game with a shitload of non player characters for you to destroy... Like a MOBA, or any other number of games that have NPC's to kill in multiplayer.

Well they could at least change the damn models or skins of the characters. If they're clearly meant to fill a different role than they should be clearly easily distinguished beyond just the name. The same way most single player games make enemy types look different or multiplayer games make classes look different.

Every multiplayer player replacing bot in nearly every game have names to distinguish them as bots so I don't see how their names being different changes my point or answers my question at all. But I guess my question is answered that it is only there to make the game easier.

Suite Pee

Willing to learn
As someone with a moderately powerful rig who doesn't plan to play this game because of Origin (that may change), I think 6 on 6 sounds pretty great. I've never been too keen on games where you feel like a piece of a horde rather than a small team with your own effect on a game. In fact, were I to play this game, I think I'd prefer 4 on 4 games.

Either way, congratulations to the developers on making a game that warrants so many people discussing it. I could tell from post #558 that they really care a lot about the final product.

Horp

You mean all those positive previews about how fun it is or the limited amount of gameplay we've actually seen? I'm not one of those people going around hyping up Titanfall constantly as the next coming of Christ but I'm at least going to give the game a chance before I complain about design decisions.

I'm not saying I won't give the game a chance, but what I'm saying is that I think 12 players is way too small for my taste when it comes to multiplayer fps games.

There were extensive playtesting during the development of Halo too, and the previews were positive, but from looking at videos and hearing about the game I knew before I played it what I wouldn't like about it. And voila I didn't like it. The playtesters somehow didn't know exactly what I like, how weird.

Same with virtually every other game out there. I like the open nature of Destiny, but I don't like some other things about it. Still going to try it, but if I starts explaining the aspects about it I'm not at all excited about, it's pretty childish for a developer to come tell me I'm wrong because their playtesters are obviously right. Playtesters are rarely right according to me, as it seems.

Top Bottom