• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titanfall has nearly 8m unique players, sequel will not be exclusive to any platform

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
Thread title is misleading.
I've already said future projects will not necessarily be exclusive.

call me when their next project is officially announced for something other than X1 or pc.
cG0JEML.gif

An Xbox One exclusive goes and moves 8 mil units. No wonder they jumped at the chance to focus their efforts on one next-gen platform. I wouldn't be surprised if they stick to this sweet deal they got going with Microsoft for another iteration, at this rate. Simply incredible.

They didn't sell 8 million copies. They had 8 million unique PLAYERS.

Used game copies and multiple accounts.

Congrats to respawn! I think it's the most fun mp shooter I've played this gen so far. The game as it is now with all the updates and levels feels like the complete game they should have released. What a blast!

Ombala

An Xbox One exclusive goes and moves 8 mil units. No wonder they jumped at the chance to focus their efforts on one next-gen platform. I wouldn't be surprised if they stick to this sweet deal they got going with Microsoft for another iteration, at this rate. Simply incredible.
Its not an exlusive how many times do ppl need too hear this?

Fox_Mulder

Rockefellers. Skull and Bones. Microsoft. Al Qaeda. A Cabal of Bankers. The melting point of steel. What do these things have in common? Wake up sheeple, the landfill wasn't even REAL!
so much bomba

That's great. Now when are they going to add in features that will keep more people actually playing this game?

I still think Titanfall is one of the best FPSes and multiplayer games of 2014 and does not deserve to have so few people playing compared to Call of Duty: AW.

TomShoe

Banned

Hey, you forgot Vita!

That was actually a possibility at one point. I think Sony asked them about making a Vita version. Sony didn't go with Respawn at the time, because they didn't want to release the PS4's specs at the time, as someone could have leaked them to Microsoft, prompting them to change their offering.

Funny how Sony said no, yet it wasn't because they weren't interested, it was just a case of "wrong place, wrong time."

cakely

I know you're a parody account but:

1. Titanfall is not an Xbox One exclusive

2. Titanfall didn't sell 8 million units.

Since when have you become a troll account?

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
while completely expected, nothing in the OP confirms that its coming to all platforms as the title indicates. i hate these sort of misleading threads.

Cmagus

I played this for awhile on PC (thinking about jumping back in) so if they decide to bring the next one to PS4 I'd gladly buy it the game is fun. Hopefully they take all the fan feedback and tweak the next game good and you'll have an amazing shooter.

Honestly for me at least the least interesting part if this game were the actual titans themselves. While it's cool jumping into the titans the out of mech stuff was so much better and could easily make a great game on its own.

while completely expected, nothing in the OP confirms that its coming to all platforms as the title indicates. i hate these sort of misleading threads.

They would be incredibly stupid not to. I'm curious to what the numbers could have been had it been on all platforms.

Ensirius

I played this for awhile on PC (thinking about jumping back in) so if they decide to bring the next one to PS4 I'd gladly buy it the game is fun. Hopefully they take all the fan feedback and tweak the next game good and you'll have an amazing shooter.

Honestly for me at least the least interesting part if this game were the actual titans themselves. While it's cool jumping into the titans the out of mech stuff was so much better and could easily make a great game on its own.

They would be incredibly stupid not to. I'm curious to what the numbers could have been had it been on all platforms.
Titanfall without mecs is basically CoD

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Please note that unique player count is not necessarily the same as sales.

There have been a couple of free weekends for the game on Origin, for example.

How many millions did it sell at $5? lately it seems like the game is on sale at Origin for $5 every damn week...This is just my opinion, but had the TF sold through the roof at $59.99 MS would have bought Respawn studios so they could own the game..

Edit:Another BS to respawn numbers, Origin also lets you try the game for 48 hours...

McLovin

Now they will have a shot at getting cod numbers. Even though many players dont play sp it might be a good idea to put one in the sequel. Its a good way to train people for online, get players invested in the universe, and a good source for trailers and reviews.

open_mouth_

insert_foot_
I know you're a parody account but:

1. Titanfall is not an Xbox One exclusive

2. Titanfall didn't sell 8 million units.

Get a grip. If it wasn't exclusive then why were people so up in arms that it wasn't releasing on the Playstation 4 and WiiU? Exclusive can also mean unavailable on your direct competitors' platforms. Update your definition library and open your mind.

jackdoe

Several thousand players on at non peak hours on PC is somehow zero population. God damn the hyperbole sometimes on here.
There are actually several thousand now? I stopped playing on the PC when population dropped to about a thousand, all playing Attrition. If the situation changed, then I'll re-install the game. Want to make use of that season pass I stupidly bought at launch.

Several thousand players on at non peak hours on PC is somehow zero population. God damn the hyperbole sometimes on here.

Im speaking from personal experience here. I reinstalled it like a week ago thinking I was going to get back into it and I literally couldn't get a single game of hard point after 3 nights of trying. If I can't get a single game going of what used to be one of the most popular modes it is functionally 'near zero' for me. I guess I should congratulate them on their 8 million players, though.

Oh wait, are you talking about grunts and spectres? Because they are ai controlled.

cakely

Get a grip. If it wasn't exclusive then why were people so up in arms that it wasn't releasing on the Playstation 4 and WiiU? Exclusive can also mean unavailable on your direct competitors' platforms. Update your definition library and open your mind.

Not exclusive.

Didn't sell 8 million units.

Yes, absolutely.

I already clarified what I meant by that. See here:

Destiny sold a lot of copies even if they didn't announce the exact amount of copies it sold and so did Titanfall. That is the point.
----

If the game actually had great sales, then Respawn would have announced those numbers, not unique players. I'm thinking a lot of people bought the game secondhand and it only sold 2-3 million total across 360/X1/PC. 2-3 million is not that impressive these days for a heavily marketed AAA game.

I also suspect that most of those 8m players only played the game once or twice and then shelved it.

I really doubt it only sold 2-3 million across all platforms unless it sold next to nothing on PC/360 considering its the best selling game on XB1*.

The NPD launch of Titanfall alone was 925k and that doesn't include the launch sales of the 360 version or sales digitally(who buys physical PC games in the US?) or bundles or sales anywhere else in the world.

IIRC the bundle did 290k in the first two months and that's also just in the US.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/e3...t-selling-xbox-one-game-to-date/1100-6420404/

I think it's pretty likely that Titanfall's combined launch across all 3 platforms worldwide did 2 over million.

All 3 versions of the game are on Amazon's bestsellers of the year list as well so it doesn't seem like any version sold really poorly as your 2-3 million figure would suggest.

Respawn has also said they think it's the best seling EA new IP ever so it also makes your figure seem unlikely.

I'd say it's probably closer to 5 million across all platforms.

Titanfall 2 probably won't come out until 2016 so it's possible that Titanfall might be able to gather another 1-2 million sales by then as well.

6-7 million for a new IP not on PS4 is pretty good I would think.

* I'm aware that it probably isn't anymore since Advanced Warfare has released.

Nocturno999

That doesn't mean much, since the first one wasn't exclusive either.

Very misleading wording, I can see MS signing checks as usual for the sequel.

Reset

You said Xbox One exclusive....
How could it be an Xbox One exclusive when it's on other platforms lol

Alric

I picked it up for the pc during black Friday and love the game. While the community isn't large it's also not hard to find a game at all. For all this comparison to AW, I wouldn't know because I've not played it but I think of the game like a mix between tribes and unreal tournament, love the game and hope for a sequel

RBK

Banned
Don't care either way.

Only benefit I get from it being a Xbox exclusive is that I can add it for future list wars.

brennok

Neo Member
If they go the COD route again on PC and don't offer a server browser and rentable servers that players can customize, I don't see this doing any better on the PC. I know I won't touch it.

Chris1

Of course they are not, but Respawn are only ~90 staff and considering they've already said Titanfall 2 is in development, it's extremely unlikely they have another game in development too.
In response to a question about Repsawn recently hiring longtime God of War developer Stig Asmussen, Zampella said, "There is a second team. Non-Titanfall related." Asmussen works at Respawn in the role of game director for an unspecified title, which could be Respawn's new game.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/non-titanfall-game-in-the-works-at-respawn/1100-6424328/

Top Bottom