• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titanfall |OT| Titan Online. Signal When Ready.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vormund

Just got an X1 and this, and I'm having a bit of fun actually even though I'm shit.

Having the grunts as Cannon fodder makes you feel less shit. :D That said, I still seem to be near the middle or the top of the leader board even though my KDR is rubbish. But that doesn't bother me really.

tauke

Been looking for newbies to do my Brain Surgeon challenge and I guess I did overdid what I actually intended too:

jcgOlM9.jpg

Guess what the MVP of the opponent team is busy doing the plasma railgun challenge lol.

The point is many other people selfishly do, and it gets annoying when you have high gen players with low scores or who forego the objectives in favor of their regen challenges.

Yes, this multiplied by a very large number; It ruins the game. Players p*ss-a*sing about with challenges whilst other players have to take it upon themselves to carry the team.

I will let my post match numbers do the talking for me not some stupid icon next to my name.

1 out of 20 players will be able to shoulder the burden of their challenges while also playing the objectives. The other 19 will invariably bring your team down until it results in a loss.

I don't buy the "it forces you to use other weapons argument". I play how I want to play, with what I like playing with, in order to win. And I'm good at it. There are some weapons I have no wish in using. Ever. The DMR is one of them. All it is forcing you to do is "focus on the challenge while ignoring your objectives" at the expensive of the other people on your team busting their ass to win the game.

And I also tip my hat to this.

I did my experimenting early on in the game to see what loadouts I liked. I play the game to get a semblance of fun not to use weapons I don't like. I have tried all the weapons of my own volition not because a shoe-horned challenge 'made' me.

The game is so, so, so, so much fun and I would never want to ruin it for myself by getting involved in things that bring the game down.

The thing is that unlike, say, BF4 your stats are private to you. No one else can see them; my K/D and win ratios are hidden. Therefore an icon next to the name is something that you can 'show off'. I still don't see it as a mark of kill; just time spent although I do agree that at least some challenges must require some form of skill (?) rather than luck or grind.

A late edit as I only just saw this post:

Regen challenges were one of the final touches. They exist because of the variety of unlocks you have across pilots and titans.

Having access to a wide variety of gear is more important in TF due to that variety, so we wanted to get you to 50 faster, hence the increased leveling speed.

The regen challenges were added as a way to balance out the increased speed. They test you on various elements of the game, to make sure you give everything a fair shot.

It is a bit frustrating that the regen challenges have become such a point of contention.

Which challenge are you stuck on?

It is because regen challenges have introduced selfish play; players playing only for challenges and leaving the rest of the team (who are not) in the lurch. Being tested on all the facets of the game holds no water for me. I play how I want to play and I play well this way. I have enough experience without the game forcing my hand in a direction I do not wish to go.

Anybody here playing on pc with a controller? I remember reading somewhere that there was a form of aim assist to try and even it up against kb and mouse. Does it work?

bee

where's the 120hz patch? played a game for first time in a few weeks, still locked at 60fps, pfff alt/f4

tauke

Anybody here playing on pc with a controller? I remember reading somewhere that there was a form of aim assist to try and even it up against kb and mouse. Does it work?

Playing with controller does offer aim assist especially when you ADS but I can't master it. For me FPS means mouse and keyboard unless the game is only available on consoles...

I just regen to Gen 7 and so far the challenges seems doable if not daunting. Can't believe it takes only 3 matches to level up to 14.

E92 M3

Challenges don't take skill, they're just tedious time-sinks.

I just disagree completely. That's really all they say: How long you've been playing the game. They're no real indicator of skill.

I got to the Gooser on the second week or so and said fuck it. If Goosee didnt exist I would've played so much more. It kinda killed my TF momentum. And now with this new MM being more tedius. I just stick to Dark Souls :(

I hope they add mercenary mode for us that play solo.

I've posted my username a few times in here for Origin, but have never received a friend request. Am I posting in wrong place?

Seither2k

Add me so we can kill things! I love Atrition and Hardpoint.

I'll add you.

It works. I've never felt at a disadvantage, except perhaps when it comes to real precision aiming. I've missed a couple of kills because I couldn't quite aim where I wanted to.

Skidd

Aim assist or not, I'm not having any significant issues playing. I think it's a perfectly viable option, just learn to avoid head on confrontations because the odds are always against you.

Fuck, I'm so angry that something as simple and stupid as Regeneration Challenges can ruin the fucking game.

All I have left to say, is that for a game that holds the ideal of "Fun" as a core tenet, Regeneration Challenges are not fun. Just tedious.

Yup. I love having the leveling up carrot in front of me, and unfortunately I now have to choose. Do I want to continue leveling up, or do I want to continue having fun? Because I'm not having fun at all when I'm forced to use a sniper rifle. I've never enjoyed using a sniper rifle in any game.

Prestige and generations, etc should be an indicator of skill in different areas of the game and the game in general.

Not just "hey look I have too much time on my hands".

You know, when the game launched I tried adopting this thought process, but as soon as I was forced to use a weapon I didn't enjoy using for hours and hours, my opinion changed.

The bottom line is that the Prestige system was something that wasn't broken, but they decided to fix it anyway.

Agreed.

It's fucking infuriating. Who the fuck thought challenges that force you play selfishly in a fucking team game in where cooperation is really important was a good idea? The game needs a chatwheel like in DOTA 2 and GET RID OF THE FUCKING REGEN CHALLENGES. It literally ruins matches so some dipshit can hang back and just use satchels the entire game or some shit titan weapon.

Agreed.

Respawn, it's not too late to fix this. You could just patch out the challenge requirements all together, and offer 20 regens instead. You could offer people the option of skipping one challenge each regen. That way people like me can avoid the sniper rifles, as I despise them in all fps. You could also just lower the requirements for them. Get 50 total kills with a sniper? I could do that. But 200? No thanks.

Any of these things would be better than how it is currently.

gzero

Just got an X1 and this, and I'm having a bit of fun actually even though I'm shit.

Having the grunts as Cannon fodder makes you feel less shit. :D That said, I still seem to be near the middle or the top of the leader board even though my KDR is rubbish. But that doesn't bother me really.

I picked up the XB1 Titanfall bundle a few weeks ago and I'm in the same boat. Keep expecting to see my name in one of the shame screencaps in this thread, but I don't care -- having a blast.

First multiplayer FPS I've spent any significant time playing since Quake in the late 90s. Respawn really nailed this game.

RazorUK

Pilot, your Titan is ready, prepare for Titanbombs
I agree with those who say that the current regeneration challenge system isn't fun and causes people to become a detriment to their team.
The challenges don't even show that you have skill, just that you were prepared to grind out and do poorly to get challenges done.

I feel the regen challenges should have been more like 'Win X amount of games in a row', 'Kill 20 Pilots in a match' and so on.
These types of challenges would have no negative effect on people's play-styles as they would be focusing on winning/doing well and they would be able to play with their best loadout.

I think a happy medium with the regen challenges is if they gave lets say 10 different challenges and you only had to complete 5 out of the 10 to qualify for regen. Also throwing in some easier ones that are grindable without forcing people to use specific weapons (for ex. play 20 matches of pilot hunter, call down 50 strider titans, kill 200 pilots) would go a long way in reducing some of the more annoying aspects of having teammates only going for challenges.

Nivane

Plasma Railgun kills are nothing compared to Charge Rifle Criticals. I've been at Gen 4 Level 50 for over a month now, it's completely killed my will to play the game.

I think I exclusively queued up Colony on the campaign for that challenge. It was arduous, but I set up shop in the sniper tower. Since it gives you views of the entire map, I was able to get a few critical hits per game. I'd set my own titan on auto near the base so it'd kill anyone trying to come up the tower. Or I'd just keep my situational awareness high and do 360 scans every few seconds. A few arc mines up the tower aren't bad, either.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
Regen challenges were one of the final touches. They exist because of the variety of unlocks you have across pilots and titans.

Having access to a wide variety of gear is more important in TF due to that variety, so we wanted to get you to 50 faster, hence the increased leveling speed.

The regen challenges were added as a way to balance out the increased speed. They test you on various elements of the game, to make sure you give everything a fair shot.

It is a bit frustrating that the regen challenges have become such a point of contention.

I think Regen challenges were a good idea, but in execution they don't help the game's flow when some require HUGE time sinks. I think a better option would be challenges that are purely skill based and maybe also dynamic challenges that focus on weapons and load outs the player most uses and gives options based on that (the player can pick which weapon across, say, 3 different weapons to do the challenge with).

Also, win based challenges and team focused challenges are better than challenges focusing on the individual player. Stuff like get most pilot kills in Pilot Hunter, etc. since challenges like that would bolster teamwork. Perhaps regen challenges could even be unique to the generation and player and regular challenges could be as they are now?

hoyalawya

I am frustrated by the gooser challenge too. Have already played 150 matches in gen 5. I got 2 gooser in one match last night bringing the total to 4. Will keep playing LTS until I get the last one. Grinding in LTS is no fun.

One question, I also want the Xbox achievement for unlocking all weapon mods. Will I need to unlock everything once I get to gen 10? Or will it be given once I finished the weapon challenges in gen 9 since I would have unlocked every mods in all the weapons at least once.

tauke

Right now I'm doing the G4A2 Rifle challenge and I'm suck with it. I think it is more worse than the Longbow Sniper since the damage is not that great...

Keep getting owned whenever I'm face to face with a SMG, Shotgun or Carbine users...

Argonomic

Respawn, it's not too late to fix this. You could just patch out the challenge requirements all together, and offer 20 regens instead. You could offer people the option of skipping one challenge each regen. That way people like me can avoid the sniper rifles, as I despise them in all fps. You could also just lower the requirements for them. Get 50 total kills with a sniper? I could do that. But 200? No thanks.

Any of these things would be better than how it is currently.

Better than new content or other improvements? We defanged Gooser but there hasn't been the same level of outcry about the other regen requirements. There are some players that enjoy them, so I think the real issue is the lack of alternatives for players that don't enjoy them.

E92 M3

Better than new content or other improvements? We defanged Gooser but there hasn't been the same level of outcry about the other regen requirements. There are some players that enjoy them, so I think the real issue is the lack of alternatives for players that don't enjoy them.

I promise that if you guys include a Mercenary mode and change the matchmaking back to being quick people will be happy. If the solo players know they are not facing parties, then the experience will be a lot of better. We both know that population management is an important aspect of this game, and that's why matchmaking has to be as appealing as possible. Meaning quick, snappy, and nearly instant. Just give us a Variety Pack Mercenary mode and everything will be good.

People need to stop hating regen requirements because they don't like them or can't do them. Gooser was changed because it affected the gameplay so much and was as good as random. Yes OK, taking out the pilots is good but I always hit them when they land. Easy. Heck, it could have been "50 ejected pilots"

The rest of them? Its doing exactly as they intended, it wants you to try other weapons and stuff.

I hate snipers too, I just got enough kills to give it a smaller scope and used it like a DMR.

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
I promise that if you guys include a Mercenary mode and change the matchmaking back to being quick people will be happy. If the solo players know they are not facing parties, then the experience will be a lot of better. We both know that population management is an important aspect of this game, and that's why matchmaking has to be as appealing as possible. Meaning quick, snappy, and nearly instant. Just give us a Variety Pack Mercenary mode and everything will be good.

This please.

Shrennin

I definitely don't think the regen challenges should be "fixed" for TitanFall. I wouldn't mind seeing more team oriented and skill based regen challenges in TitanFall 2 but if you were to ask me to choose between more content and other, more significant improvements or fixing the inconvenient, optional regen challenges then that's no question: more content/other improvements please!

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist

Giving the option to skip one regen challenge each time sounds like a really good workaround for allowing people to skip one that's totally unappealing but still requiring investment in other aspects.

Shrennin

Giving the option to skip one regen challenge each time sounds like a really good workaround for allowing people to skip one that's totally unappealing but still requiring investment in other aspects.

Although I think if that's an option, then perhaps there should be an extra benefit for people who opt to complete every challenge?

100% agree with this. I won't stay in a lobby if I'm not in a party and going up against another party.

Jito

Banned
I'm stuck on the rodeo challenge requirement at the moment, having to stay on the titans and deal the final killing blow every time makes it really hard. Another that could do with some tweaking I think.

wrongway

Was there another patch recently? I haven't played in a few days, and suddenly my framerate's down. Running around outside on Boneyard would take me to the 40s, and with lots of action going on it was down to 30 fps. I don't think I've ever seen sub-60 fps on that map. I hope my GPU isn't dying or something. D:

Regarding the regen challenges, I'm only about to flip over to Gen6, but so far I think they've been pretty 'organic.' Some have pushed me towards loadouts that I don't typically gravitate to of course, but once I got a handle on them I did just fine. I really haven't felt like I've been forced to hunt for or create situations specifically to complete any challenges so far. Gooser probably would've been a huge exception pre-nerf, but the new requirement of 5 turned out to be pretty easy, especially with the Arc Cannon that I was already using for the other challenges.

That said, Brain Surgeon sounds like it'll force unnatural play out of me. I feel like such an easy target when I rodeo that I rarely go for it, and when I do, I don't stick around for long.

antitrop

Was there another patch recently? I haven't played in a few days, and suddenly my framerate's down. Running around outside on Boneyard would take me to the 40s, and with lots of action going on it was down to 30 fps. I don't think I've ever seen sub-60 fps on that map. I hope my GPU isn't dying or something. D:

I have just accepted that the PC version will never run at a level of performance I deem adequate. Even after fixing SLI, the game still runs like shit for me at 1080p.

fozzy

I've just hit gen 4. Think it's dmr and pistol kills now. Sigh. Think this maybe the gen I stop at.

I love the levelling and that may just kill the game for me

Roflobear

Just got to Gen 7. The regen requirements all seem pretty easy. Should be a quick gen.

Also I think I had a weird glitch last night. I had 3 amped LMG burn cards and I picked two of them. As soon as I picked the second one, the game stuttered for a second and all of a sudden I had the same 3 amped LMG cards in my deck plus the two I had just picked. Kind of a nice glitch ending up with 5 instead of 3 I guess

I've just hit gen 4. Think it's dmr and pistol kills now. Sigh. Think this maybe the gen I stop at.

I love the levelling and that may just kill the game for me

The dmr gets slightly less terrible once you unlock the AOG scope

fozzy

Just got to Gen 7. The regen requirements all seem pretty easy. Should be a quick gen.

Also I think I had a weird glitch last night. I had 3 amped LMG burn cards and I picked two of them. As soon as I picked the second one, the game stuttered for a second and all of a sudden I had the same 3 amped LMG cards in my deck plus the two I had just picked. Kind of a nice glitch ending up with 5 instead of 3 I guess

The dmr gets slightly less terrible once you unlock the AOG scope

I only play Hardpoint, and play the objective very hard so going to have to adjust my play style quite a bit.

Daemul

I hit Gen 3 earlier this afternoon then took a break to watch the football. I needed the rest Tbh, I've been playing this game a lot since I got it, not as much as some people mind you, those people who are already Gen 7 when the game has barely been out more than a week on the 360 lol. At a pace of 2 Gens a week, depending on how well I do the challenges of course, I should hit Gen 10 by mid May, which will probably be the time the first DLC comes out, though I may reach it quicker since levelling up to 50 will get ridiculously easy at higher Gens due to the multiplier.

On the current debate I agree, a player doing challenges can end up bringing down an entire team, it's even worse when it's a party doing it, which is just BS. That's why when I want to do a particular challenge, I play a mode where doing that particular challenge won't handicap me or the team, then I go back and play other modes when I want to just play properly. It makes it easier for everyone involved.

Atkison04

Greetings folks. Just wanted to drop in to say that I finished the goosers today! Got 4 of them today and 2 of those were back to back in the same game. Used the machine gun with accelerator. I must say that it felt amazing getting thru that challenge. Happy easter everyone! Catch up with everyone from work tomorrow...Mondays :'(

I can't think of any improvements right now I'd rather have than a fix to Regen challenges. I haven't played a game in years as much as I've played Titanfall, and I honestly can't think of many aspects of it I don't enjoy---except a melee kick to the face while gunning someone. There has to be a way to improve the system. If you weigh the pros and cons between those upset of Regen challenges going away compared to those happy it is gone, I bet it pays off in the end. I'm serious and begging---release a poll on your site. I would not be surprised how many would love to see Regen challenges go.

Again, I completely understand the idea on paper. But the negatives easily outweigh the positives at this point. I challenge someone to start listing positives of Regen challenges.

TrueGrime

Just got put into a game where my team immediately lost :(

Didn't even have time to get to the drop ship lol

I don't think I've ever been put into a lobby when I am playing along. 90% of the time, it's a losing team. But damn, son.. you got put it during the end. LoL.

The idea of challenges is good. The numbers just need cut down across the board. Cut down a LOT. I'm a Gen 3 level 35 and I'm not done with my Plasma Titan Killer yet (getting close). I started using it the second I unlocked it. That's way too long.

It flat-out kills team play. That's all there is to it. People running around just focusing on completing their challenges kills the competition. And I'm guilty of it myself. I haven't given a fuck about winning or anything. I'm essentially finishing my challenges so I can get back to actually playing the game, until I hit level 50 and start over again.

Just got put into a game where my team immediately lost :(

Didn't even have time to get to the drop ship lol

Yeah, that happens. Fucking annoying.

The Lamp

The game doesn't seem well optimized on PC. I have two GTX 460 GPUs and I can't seem to get a stable framerate except at mediocre settings. Is it just me?

The game doesn't seem well optimized on PC. I have two GTX 460 GPUs and I can't seem to get a stable framerate except at mediocre settings. Is it just me?
I had to turn down shadows to medium (which I think I almost prefer now, they look softer) and AA to 2x to keep the framerate from dipping into the 30s on some maps on my GTX 760. After the patch it got worse, and more unpredictable. Like I've never had problems on Lagoon like some people, but Nexus randomly shits itself about 50% of the time.

It is kinda ridiculous since the game will still occasionally drop frames for no reason at all, but yeah I think it could use some work.

Yeah, it really isn't well-optimized. The game shouldn't be hogging all the resources it does, especially with the way it looks with everything on the highest settings.

Oh well, I guess it's a console port, could've seen it coming.

I'm playing on Xone and the graphics look good to me, the screen tearing is bad though, can they fix that???

They couldn't get the game to run at 1080p, so I doubt they could fix their tearing and still have the game run at 60 fps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom