• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titanfall |OT2| Press X To Respawn

I played some Frontier Defense last night. That is a blast. I love popping the suicide spectres.

One thing I noticed. I don't know if it is a bug or if I don't understand, but I wasn't getting credit for the games we won on the challenges. I think it is the first one on the Frontier Defense challenge list and it is for winning games of FD. We won everyone of them that we played, but I didn't see any credit. Do you have to get three stars to have it count towards the challenge?

Just beating all the waves and finishing a map was adding a single win each time to my win X amount of matches goal for generation rank up, not sure if it was touching anything else.

I'm enjoying the horde mode so far. Played a bunch on Xbox last night but couldn't get any friends to join in. The matches felt really lonely with no one communicating and I ended up redoing a number of the same maps. Despite the lack of comms from people I don't think I was in any losing sessions.

Yeah, kind of strange the dev team lost during the stream. They half-blamed it on not being able to communicate but I haven't done any communication and have been playing with a couple Gen 1 players and have only had to use a "retry" once because someone left.

I've only played 4 of the maps though and none were the map they did.

Just beating all the waves and finishing a map was adding a single win each time to my win X amount of matches goal for generation rank up, not sure if it was touching anything else.

The one for finishing Gen 8? That's weird because I've been stuck at 87 wins even after the 4 matches of Frontier Defense that we won.

Yeah, kind of strange the dev team lost during the stream. They half-blamed it on not being able to communicate but I haven't done any communication and have been playing with a couple Gen 1 players and have only had to use a "retry" once because someone left.

The one for finishing Gen 8? That's weird because I've been stuck at 87 wins even after the 4 matches of Frontier Defense that we won.
yeah that one, let me boot the game up and check to see if it's gone above 71, which it was when I last looked (I saw it go from 70 to 71 last night)

yep, it's now 80/100 'all I do is win'

Izuna

Banned
Try doing Rise on FD, fucking scrubs! Calling all Titanbrehs!

We get to the final wave, I am singlehandedly covering the left and middle, and about 4 Nuke Titans appear from the right. After an hour of failing in the same spot, I switch to right side with a new team..

What do they do? Wait at the base! If one person drops Rise is impossible.

Respawn, add an estimated difficulty for each horde map please!

This is much harder to play with randoms than Vault of Glass on Hard. It is like carrying a team on attrition, but since you are playing with others, you can't win anyway. And I love it.

Special C

I need to hop back on Titanfall before Dragon Age consums my life next month. Been playing Destiny solely because that's what my friends are playing.

Enjoyed the one match of Frontier Defense I got into last night. Seems like a well realized mode. Gives a taste of what a sequel could bring in terms of new modes. :)

Loving the reduced screen tearing these recent updates have brought. Please don't make that compromise with the sequel Respawn.

Rayme

Really want to 3-star all the regular maps before halo is released, so far I have... two, and have yet to even see angel city appear in quick match.

You can create-a-match and specifically choose Angel City. As long as you leave the game open to the public, it should fill up with people. It'll even find other people who do their own create-a-match for Angel City, if there's any at that moment.

Works for DLC maps, too (though obviously might be slower to fill). =)

...speaking of which, if anyone has feedback for coop matchmaking, would love to hear it. Good or bad. It works much differently than MP matchmaking does. Well - same but different.

Try doing Rise on FD, fucking scrubs! Calling all Titanbrehs!

We get to the final wave, I am singlehandedly covering the left and middle, and about 4 Nuke Titans appear from the right. After an hour of failing in the same spot, I switch to right side with a new team..

What do they do? Wait at the base! If one person drops Rise is impossible.

Respawn, add an estimated difficulty for each horde map please!

This is much harder to play with randoms than Vault of Glass on Hard. It is like carrying a team on attrition, but since you are playing with others, you can't win anyway. And I love it.

I did Rise with one retry left, on a random team, I think a correct Titan loadout is way more important there, after some testing my setup is now Triple Threat Stryder, it kills Titans significantly faster than anything else because AIs can't dodge nades, my tactics are luring normal Titans to the base to preserve our own health and then push out to engage special Titans early, double Particle Wall helps A LOT because that can singlehandedly cover an entire lane. Of course you can alway cheat with Double Agent and ignore the preserve health part.

You can create-a-match and specifically choose Angel City. As long as you leave the game open to the public, it should fill up with people. It'll even find other people who do their own create-a-match for Angel City, if there's any at that moment.

...speaking of which, if anyone has feedback for coop matchmaking, would love to hear it. Good or bad. It works much differently than MP matchmaking does. Well - same but different.
Having the option to make an open lobby is really nice.

Sometimes with all the icons on the screen I find it hard to know exactly where my Titan is and it can take a few moments to figure it out, maybe make your personal titan icon clearer to see.

this co-op thing may be the perfect thing for me, now i only have to find the time, id is crowedman in origin, i´m from spain so i play mostly in the europe servers obviously, and seeing the population on pc now i understand the ping that i usually had and all the russian players that were kicking my ass when i tried the game, usually can´t play more than an hour or two because the FOV (even 90 is too low for me in this game) and the speed of the movement gives me headaches from time to time

KingV

Definitely some maps are harder than others.

Anyone want to play tonight or maybe tomorrow afternoon? Frontier Defense with randoms is so frustrating. I don't understand how some people can be so damn bad.

Send me a friendy: Digital Limit

More often then not people disconnect when you fail horde the first time because it's usually not enough to 3 star the map, annoying randoms.

yeah that one, let me boot the game up and check to see if it's gone above 71, which it was when I last looked (I saw it go from 70 to 71 last night)

yep, it's now 80/100 'all I do is win'

Maybe I misread mine or something. I'm going to give it another shot tonight, you give me hope that I can get through this last challenge. I've been stuck on it way longer than any other before.

Oh wow I am really glad you mentioned that, I've played Overlook 3 times out of the 5 matches I've played.

All of my games so far have had great matchmaking. I usually get thrown into a lobby of one or two other people and within about 10 seconds I see the "Connecting" message pop up for the fourth player. Southeast United States, if that matters.

turcy

anybody else noticing a crazy influx of hackers since update 8?

all of a sudden i'm bottom of every game i play as opposed to the top... maybe i've just started sucking inexplicably?

turcy

Not that I have seen (on PC US West), but maybe the ranking system is making people try harder?

yeah, that's my server.

i think it's a combination of people trying harder, and people partying up.

i wish it would warn you if you're playing against a party, shit is as unfair as hacking in this game it makes such a difference.

Izuna

Banned
yeah, that's my server.

i think it's a combination of people trying harder, and people partying up.

i wish it would warn you if you're playing against a party, shit is as unfair as hacking in this game it makes such a difference.

If you play attrition or Pilot Hunter, you only need 2 good players to basically win the server haha.

Befriend someone who scores similar to you.

turcy

If you play attrition or Pilot Hunter, you only need 2 good players to basically win the server haha.

Befriend someone who scores similar to you.

nah, i just won't do it.

i don't keep "online friends" in videogames [gives me bad memories of my heroine days, i mean mmorpg days] - i just want to play casually in a fair environment where nobody's got a supreme commander on voice chat organizing their squad.

Grunts and Spectres can really wreck you hard if you let 3 or more of them shoot you in the open while playing horde, I quite like their higher attack power.

It's also amazing to see 14 of them running at you as you mow them down with an automatic weapon, poor guys.

The little touches for the grunts in this game is still amazing to see after playing other games, one grunt crouched and covered his head when I approached him in my titan and I often see grunts fall over backwards and scamper to cover when I run around a corner and scare them.

I wonder if rodeo spectres will appear in attrition and other game modes, they are much more of a threat when you can't just crush them under a titan as easily as before.

Also sniper spectres.

Montresor

I launched the game the for time in about a month today. *hears the title screen music* It's still in, and it's still some of my favourite title music in gaming. Up there with Metroid Prime 1, god damn.

Immediately, two things I'm concerned about:

1) Yeesh at the ugly and repetitive wallpaper designs for the new achievements.

2) I have no idea what ranked play means.

But I'm glad to get back into Titanfall. I'm going to aim for 2000/2000. I will need a good group for the "Win 10 games in a row achievement" though. The most I've ever won is 6 wins in a row.

anybody else noticing a crazy influx of hackers since update 8?

all of a sudden i'm bottom of every game i play as opposed to the top... maybe i've just started sucking inexplicably?

I always want to blame aimbots for getting destroyed by some players, but the truth is usually that they are just way, way better than I am.

tauke

With the new population counter, I'm sad that my region just don't play MFD, Hardpoint Domination, Capture the Flag, Last Titan Standing and all the DLC map lol.

It's either Attrition or the new mode.

My thoughts on the new mode, it is fun! The turret placement is something I wish was implemented in regular game mode and also Spectre rodeo! That is a good way to warn players not to rush ahead on Spectres just to crush them but also the risk of getting rodeo.

Also hardly mentioned in the thread (well for PC players with Nvidia card) is TXAA. Titanfall looks great without the crawling flickering pixels on screen. HBAO+ is also long overdue but finally some depth to the game world.

Still the game engine occasionally dip in FPS for me compared to Update 6 which solves the performance issue on my system. Sucks but I just learn to live with it.

Some screenshots with TXAA 2x and HBAO+ enabled at 1080p. TXAA is something that has to be seen in motion although it does a great job cleaning up the jaggies on most of the thin wires or curves objects.

desktop_2014_10_25_13k5q43.jpg

desktop_2014_10_25_134zqk4.jpg

desktop_2014_10_25_14gsopr.jpg

tauke

Does the new co-op mode have matchmaking?

Well you don't fight against human players so I don't think the usual matchmaking works here.

It's pretty fast to get players to fill the lobby whether in group or solo since the coop mode is against bots only but it is fun since it introduce a lot of new mechanics not available in regular modes.

Rayme

Does the new co-op mode have matchmaking?
It does, yes, unless you specifically choose not to.

"Quick Match" will find you a game on any map, and three other people to play with (you can also bring your party members of course).

"Custom Match" (which unlocks after you've played three times) lets you choose a specific map, and by default will find three more people to play with, unless you specifically set it to private.

tauke

It does, yes, unless you specifically choose not to.

"Quick Match" will find you a game on any map, and three other people to play with (you can also bring your party members of course).

"Custom Match" (which unlocks after you've played three times) lets you choose a specific map, and by default will find three more people to play with, unless you specifically set it to private.

Ah that explains why Custom Match was initially gray out for me. Still the Quick Match is really quick and I'm not the type to simply quit unless my connection crap out on me.

Also nice touch that whenever a player disconnected, the difficulty will be lowered down.

Izuna

Banned
How the hell are you guys finding good groups with equal FD scores? Lol. It is always 350 - 90 - 50 etc.

I stopped playing FD unless I have friends playing because I am only getting matched up with Gen 1s.

I wish I could solo. It might be possible...

After about 5 attempts with an ace team - finally 3-starred Rise. You pretty much have to win without letting the harvester take more than a tiny fraction of damage.

Hell yeah.

Izuna

Banned
Please Respawn, do something about this awful team balancing. I win two games, then one person leaves. It puts me in a team of 5 of the lowest scorers. The other team of 6 with the highest gens. Then, as the match starts, one person in my team leaves. It is more 6-4... Had to leave because the score ended up being 52-100, when I had 47...

Izuna

Banned
Complaints

In FD, if someone leaves after first wave because 3 stars is not possible, it becomes impossible if at least one member isn't really good. I understand you don't want to put people in a game that is nearly over or something, but you need to balance the difficulty more so we are not screwed.

Training Ground has a wave that says Suicide Spectres even there aren't any haha. On Wave 3 orv4, I have a clip under Izuna Lasky

tauke

Woops kinda off topic but Origin is sure annoying that to chat with certain people, you need to opt in the beta version.

Also anyone who need invite for ranked match, just let me know. Although I haven't try playing ranked match because well I don't want to stress myself further.

Izuna

Banned
Played with one friend, we won all games of attrition. I have been MVP in all games since update 8 in all modes, but I think matchmaking is pretty much perfect. You still get those impossible matches, but they are kind rare now.

25 more days to get all achievements. I'm at 1880/2000 atm.

tauke

Backwater map for FD is so crazy especially the last wave. Non stop Nuke Titan and the map being so wide open for the harvester makes it harder for three players.

Also got my three stars at Demeter map. That one was pretty easy since no Mortar Titan to worry about.

Hope Respawn can add this crazy AI into regular playlist or maybe Pro playlist.

Top Bottom