• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titanfall PC: Pilot Hunter/CTF gone as separate modes: "not widely used, long waits"

hawk2025

I didnt like playing those modes, but I completely understand the frustration and anger of the people who did. I would imagine that just having servers idling to some extent cost them money, or the long wait times deterred players even more.
Thanks again, consoles. Keep fucking that chicken.

There are no servers idling.

That's the whole point of using Azure in the first place!

Microsoft's servers? What the hell are you talking about?

The game is hosted on Azure.

spookyfish

There is a point. The community is really small.

You really think they wanted to take out modes? They were forced to by the small community.

Should have had a server browser.

But why take out modes and remove choice at all?

"We noticed most people don't pick Dry Bones in Mario Kart 8, so we're just patching it out."

Does it boost performance? If not, what a stupid response.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
This was never a problem in PC games until lobby systems came along.

It's not a problem because of wait times and lobbies.

It's a problem because maps are designed to work with 10 different modes in mind.

A good rush, conquest, ctf, or air superiority map should all be separate things, or at least 2 modes per map. No map can fulfill every roll.

That's why bfbc2 still has some of the best rush maps. Because they were designed for rush, not designed for conquest then later tweaked for rush.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Taking modes out of a game 2 months after release and not replacing it with anything is ok with you? What if someone bought the game to play CTF? The game now has less content than when it released lol

Then they would never get into a game because no one else was queue up for it.

Nibel

Despite their seemingly good intentions: what a incredibly dumb decision.. like, damn. How is this even legal?

The only thing I can think of is that they want people, that were queuing for these modes separately, to end up queuing in the Variety pack where you will get the occasional Pilot Hunter and CTF game. Still sucks as you have to play Attrition and Hard Point.

Qassim

This game had been out for what, 2 months?

Christ, the PC crowd moves on fast.

On the contrary, the PC crowd doesn't move on fast if it's not a crippled game with no longevity. Counter-Strike (1999) is still in the top 10 most played games on steam.

Deadbeat

Banned
It's not a problem because of wait times and lobbies.

It's a problem because maps are designed to work with 10 different modes in mind.

A good rush, conquest, ctf, or air superiority map should all be separate things, or at least 2 modes per map. No map can fulfill every roll.

That's why bfbc2 still has some of the best rush maps. Because they were designed for rush, not designed for conquest then later tweaked for rush.
Maybe if they let the community host servers those modes might still be alive. Kind of like how in cod 4 you can still play whatever you want when going through the server browser.

Jito

Banned
Then they would never get into a game because no one else was queue up for it.

Well let people make there own mind and I'll quote myself again seeing as you decided to only responded to part of my comment.

Taking modes out of a game 2 months after release and not replacing it with anything is ok with you? What if someone bought the game to play CTF? The game now has less content than when it released lol

I love EA

Banned
Uh guys, the modes will still be playable. They'll be mixed in with the other modes. You just won't be able to pick them from the menu anymore.

Uh guys, the modes will still be playable. They'll be mixed in with the other modes. You just won't be able to pick them from the menu anymore.

Thank you [I love EA], but a game mode lotto is not how I would like to play CTF.

Doing this at all is sad and maddening.

Doing this the weekend if a DLC map pack launch is insanity.

BokehKing

Banned
I can see removing pilot Hunter, because it's basically only attrition anyway (What? You're not going to shoot at the bots firing at you?) but Ctf makes all sorts of no sense

I stopped playing the game due to lack of variety and game modes

But ctf was probably the best game mode they haf

Sad to read this, I'll wait to see what they add next.

EGM1966

Well this stinks. They're removing modes people paid money for when they bought the game - does this mean if you play an online only game you could find most of the content stripped away eventually? This is not something i see as good from a consumer perspective - if the wait was long it was long but at least people could chose to wait to play a mode they wanted to.

hawk2025

Here are just some of the better solutions to what was done:

- Change the rules a bit. Make it so Titans can't cap flags, change the locations, etc. Make it so people will want to give CTF another chance and people that like the mode will enjoy having new blood playing it.

- Keep it as is. Assuming the pitch of using Azure was correct, there is zero cost to letting people wait for a match. It's the PC, let 'em multitask as needed if they want to wait. If Respawn really wants to, they can add a note to the CTF playlist saying "wait times may be longer than usual".

By the way, I hope no one here bought the Season Pass on PC.

If there are so few people that 2 out of 5 game modes are being removed, I'm worried about just how active these new maps will be.

Kade

This was never a problem when games had community dedicated servers. Now that everything has forced lobbies, we have to wait for everyone who wants to play the same modes to be on at the same time so a matchmaking algorithm can fail to match us together because we are 10 levels apart and my KDR is 0.36 lower than yours. Even if I was the only one running around a 1/12 server alone, I knew the server was at least there and it was going to have enough players to do a full match at some point in the day.

I really hate this trend of publishers and developers having 100% control over server infrastructure and management.

_hekk05

Banned
I can still play MW3 now and find many servers with many of the game modes to play with, all because there's a server browser.

I understand that the lobby system and the cloud is helping to free up resources etc, but the PC crowd wants customisations and are willing to purchase their own servers to make their own rules. If the game has inadequate matchmaking, having a server browser can alliviate the problem by letting us simply settle the problem ourselves.

I will say this now. The cloud is killing off MP games in PC.

How weird, especially since I'm watching Danny O'Dwyer play UT99 on Giant Bomb now. PC games can have extremely long legs, but it seems the industry is increasingly unwilling to take advantage of that. It would have been nice to have a new long term shooter that is not made by Valve.

BokehKing

Banned
On the contrary, the PC crowd doesn't move on fast if it's not a crippled game with no longevity. Counter-Strike (1999) is still in the top 10 most played games on steam.

Yeah but Counter Strike is still enjoyable, they just took away a game mode that offered an objective outside of cap a flag and run to the next flag... They are crippling their own game.

How many people are actually playing this on PC as opposed to xbox one and 360?

Could be you can't find matches because not enoug people play it perhaps?

hawk2025

No this is what the solution should be:

-Let the community host its own servers.
-Bring back server browser.

Well, of course, that would be ideal.
But the way the game was designed makes this very unlikely, unfortunately. I was pointing out some simpler solutions that seem very feasible.

_hekk05

Banned
Welp, sorry there. Completely forgot that, as most of other EA games seem to have their own servers.

Interestingly enough, if EA used their own servers, then there would at least be a server browser and we can at least rent our own servers ala BF4

The cloud is killing off MP games for PC

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
No one plays it -> patch it out -> people complain -> patch it back in -> people still don't play it

denzelboom.gif
I think that's what we're looking at, actually.

So what's the good reason for this? What harm were the people looking for ctf matches doing to the other modes?

Hip Hop

But why take out modes and remove choice at all?

"We noticed most people don't pick Dry Bones in Mario Kart 8, so we're just patching it out."

Does it boost performance? If not, what a stupid response.

They went to a playlist together, they are not removed.

Call of Duty does this too on PC because it also gets a small community. This is nothing new.

That's what happens when there is no server browser. This isn't no defence force.

red731

Fuck...and again. I voted with my wallet...
I should've really wait like 6 months to see what EA and developers will do with their games...

I've never heard a game do this before. Wow. So a game criticized for lacking content removes matchmaking options, but will still charge for DLC that will have a smaller base to add game modes? Who would buy this DLC if they can just flip a switch and patch it out later if not popular.

I'm now glad I waited even more. This is ridiculous.

Qassim

Yeah but Counter Strike is still enjoyable, they just took away a game mode that offered an objective outside of cap a flag and run to the next flag... They are crippling their own game.

That's what I'm saying - the PC crowd doesn't move on 'quickly' as per what I replied to if the game is meets what is expected of it.

Titanfall is like all the other games that'll segregate players based off DLC, will see frequent new releases yearly or bi-yearly. You'll notice those types of games don't really gain much popularity on the PC.

CSGO came out in 2011 is #2 on the most played games on Steam, and will probably remain in the top 10 for another 5 - 10 years unless a new Counter-Strike comes out.

hawk2025

They went to a playlist together, they are not removed.

Call of Duty does this too on PC because it also gets a small community. This is nothing new.

That's what happens when there is no server browser. This isn't no defence force.

Again, you keep saying this.

But if they are using servers that are spun up as needed, what is the point?

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'

NuKERxyz

Killing the PC version already?

I was about to buy it for PC with the Origin Promotion, not anymore... (I have it on X1 but i wanted to play on PC).

Meh

Top Bottom