• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TLOU Remastered: 30 fps option gives better shadow quality [Up: Comparison GIF in OP]

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
It's not all shadows that are affected, it's specific shadows, stuff like foliage like I had expected.

This image is a more accurate portrayal of what the difference is between the shadows which are affected.

EiavjN1.gif

For new page.

viveks86

To be clear, I don't think my friend was actively trying to make a bad representation of the game, so much as he wanted to find an example of where the patch in 30 FPS mode makes an improvement. I went on to share it because I knew GAF'ers were looking for a comparison, did it, then realized I should have checked with him to make sure it was OK and luckily he was OK with it and then he gave me some more pics to use. Again, he much prefers the 60 FPS and didn't think the 'improved' shadows was worth sacrificing framerate for.

Fair enough. My apologies, then, since I had no idea who made the first comparison shot.

More discussion from my friend with the game, the tree was moving, not static. Static shadows aren't as noticeably different, I'll be uploading em' in a few minutes.

I feel this should be quoted for the new page. It's in regards to this comparison

It's not all shadows that are affected, it's specific shadows, stuff like foliage like I had expected.

This image is a more accurate portrayal of what the difference is between the shadows which are affected.

EiavjN1.gif
Yes, moving foliage it seems, but static shadows like the previous comparisons should look almost the same. Definitely not a worthy tradeoff to 60fps mode.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Yes, moving foliage it seems, but static shadows like the previous comparisons should look almost the same. Definitely not a worthy tradeoff to 60fps mode.

Yeah I expected moving foliage would be the worst culprit. That is also something to keep in mind - those shadows may not seem severe in screenshots, but in motion it will be even more noticeable. It's up to the individual player to choose which is better for them, but I think a lot of people posting pictures of unaffected shadows as proof of there being very little difference in shadows is being disingenuous. Theres no need to try to mask or ignore the the actual real difference. It's better to have the info out there so people can make a more informed choice on what's better for them, 60fps or 30fps mode.

antitrop

I meant what I posted though. 31 pg thread about this..about shadows.

Personally, I'd much rather talk about the game, but conversation about the actual game itself in the OT has been rather lulled out of respect for first timers.

So, yeah, can't wait for Tuesday to actually talk about one of my favorite games ever, again.

Yeah I expected moving foliage would be the worst culprit. That is also something to keep in mind - those shadows may not seem severe in screenshots, but in motion it will be even more noticeable. It's up to the individual player to choose which is better for them, but I think a lot of people posting pictures of unaffected shadows as proof of there being very little difference in shadows is being disingenuous. Theres no need to try to mask or ignore the the actual real difference. It's better to have the info out there so people can make a more informed choice on what's better for them, 60fps or 30fps mode.
Moving foliage would make for an accurate comparison then. Hopefully we get them.

Sirim

They gave you an 30fps option, so that you can play it with the same framerate as the PS3 version. And with the extra juice left, they have improved some effects.
What exactly is your issue here?
I stated an observation that I knew there would be some drawbacks to the 60fps version of the game.

You seem a little touchy, friend.

Edit: Also, I never said any statement saying, "Man, how unfortunate."

Just a fact. Will buy game. Will be happy. Will always wish 60fps version was as pretty as 30 fps version.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Grounded 60 FPS, switch to 30 for screenshots if you take them.

Also, since this is a topic about shadows, here is this:

Original PS3
Original PS4 (I don't know which shadow mode it was)

No/lower AO on Ps4? Would be very disappointing. Os3 also seems to have nice softer shadows on Joel for the gun and the left side of his body (as we look at it) - Ps4 shadows are harsh and crisp by comparison

Also,may comparisons for character shadows? They should already be higher res than secondary shadows from trees etc, and so may not be noticably better at 30fps

93xfan

Banned
when you need to circle out the EMBARRASSING SHIT to show how this remaster is a cash in, it means that you are the embarrassing thing here.

I mean, they hyped about the better framerate, IQ, photomode, resolution, and WOW all of these thing are present and they show great enhancements in the new version.
14567497567_fff3177320_o.gif
[/QUOTE]

Circled or not, there are obvious cutbacks being made in this version. Lighting improvements have been touted again and again by this company. Now we're seeing many lighting effects from the last gen version are completely missing (such as wrinkles on clothing when moving and many shadows in the environment). Yes, we're pissed about this rush job and don't want to support this half done port. I wonder what else they left out.

decayedmatter

Neo Member
Textures on clothing look absolutely fabulous, the shadows are noticeable in certain areas on 60 fps mode, but not bad enough for me to sacrifice that framerate.

NBtoaster

No/lower AO on Ps4? Would be very disappointing. Os3 also seems to have nice softer shadows on Joel for the gun and the left side of his body (as we look at it) - Ps4 shadows are harsh and crisp by comparison

Also,may comparisons for character shadows? They should already be higher res than secondary shadows from trees etc, and so may not be noticably better at 30fps

Modern engines typically do not have different shadow quality for different objects.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I kind of wish ND could have made the character model self shadowing higher res even at 60. I'd have taken a little downgrade in environmental shadows as a trade. Blocky self shadows are the most noticeable to me. they're ok in 60fps but the 30fps looks a decent amount better.

I kind of wish ND could have made the character model self shadowing higher res even at 60. I'd have taken a little downgrade in environmental shadows as a trade. Blocky self shadows are the most noticeable to me. they're ok in 60fps but the 30fps looks a decent amount better.

From pics i have seen the self shadows not really that bad at 60fps IMO.

30 FPS

wPiffeH.jpg

60 FPS

PppPSmK.jpg

i2AW4cWshmSco.jpg

Seanspeed

Banned
Didn't even notice that until I looked carefully at the circled.. Even then it still took awhile
Some people are more sensitive to this stuff. I noticed the flatness of the foliage on the building due to its lack of shadows right away. The foliage there on the PS3 looks a lot better as a result.

I'm not saying they are lazy or its a bad port. But it does seem to have a couple niggling issues.

Dipz

Banned
Well, I guess that settles it then.

60FPS is an absolute failure and this somehow makes Xbox One just as good as PS4

Some people are more sensitive to this stuff. I noticed the flatness of the foliage on the building due to its lack of shadows right away. The foliage there on the PS3 looks a lot better as a result.

I'm not saying they are lazy or its a bad port. But it does seem to have a couple niggling issues.

In that pic it looks like lamp on wall not fully loaded to tell the truth so yeah looks like got some niggling issues .

Circled or not, there are obvious cutbacks being made in this version. Lighting improvements have been touted again and again by this company. Now we're seeing many lighting effects from the last gen version are completely missing (such as wrinkles on clothing when moving and many shadows in the environment). Yes, we're pissed about this rush job and don't want to support this half done port. I wonder what else they left out.

The brick work on the walls makes me think that the person who labelled these images got them the other way around.

Besides, even if for some reason the PS4 version looked every so slightly worse than the PS3 version at times, for people who didn't own a PS3 this is a definite day 1 purchase. I played this game the day it was released on PS3 and loved every minute of it. I honestly didn't notice frame drops, problems with the camera or anything like that. I'm not saying they're not there, but they certainly didn't limit my enjoyment of the game in anyway. People complaining about a couple of missing shadows are just actively looking for reasons to complain. Minor things like this will never in a million years actually affect your enjoyment of the game.

MrDenny

Rush Job?
I played the last of us, and although the game was beautiful, I thought it would of been perfect if there was less jaggies and muddy textures.
Naughty Dog has improved all of that and more.
What more do people want, a total remake?
Also your gif comparison is poor, just look at the clouds.

Thrakier

WOW, such an amazing difference!!!

It's something you see on PC everyday. And anyone who is sacrificing a higher shadow resolution for playability is a non-gamer in my book.

SexyFish

Banned
WOW, such an amazing difference!!!

It's something you see on PC everyday. And anyone who is sacrificing a higher shadow resolution for playability is a non-gamer in my book.

I...I really don't know about this thread anymore. I think I'm out until release. Its been good fun everyone!

Seanspeed

Banned
In that pic it looks like lamp on wall not fully loaded to tell the truth so yeah looks like got some niggling issues .
The lamp is loaded fine. The shadow is just not in the right place, just like it is with the guardrailing shadow.

The flatness of the foliage bothers me a lot more, though.

The brick work on the walls makes me think that the person who labelled these images got them the other way around.
No way. The pure IQ improvement in the PS4 version is super obvious. Pictures are definitely labelled correctly.

Also your gif comparison is poor, just look at the clouds.
What about them? They are completely irrelevant to what he's trying to point out.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
From pics i have seen the self shadows not really that bad at 60fps IMO.

30 FPS

wPiffeH.jpg

60 FPS

PppPSmK.jpg

i2AW4cWshmSco.jpg

Someone was saying that the shadows from flashlights are handled differently from the general world lighting, so the bottom pic should be good anyway - I think they were also good on PS3

Zakalwe

Banned
For new page.

Stand still in 30fps mode and you'll be able to wow at the better shadows here.

Make any kind if movement and te low frame count will prevent you from making out the difference detail well enough for it to matter.

As long as 60 doesn't dip below 50, and doesn't do that often, the trade off is definitely not worth it.

Really interests to read an analysis.

The lamp is loaded fine. The shadow is just not in the right place, just like it is with the guardrailing shadow.

The flatness of the foliage bothers me a lot more, though.

Yeah i was wrong .

Those aren't self shadows. Self shadowing refers to the shadows the character makes on itself. For example, the shadow of an arm made over the torso of the character

The first 2 pics have that unless i wrong again lol .

maneil99

Circled or not, there are obvious cutbacks being made in this version. Lighting improvements have been touted again and again by this company. Now we're seeing many lighting effects from the last gen version are completely missing (such as wrinkles on clothing when moving and many shadows in the environment). Yes, we're pissed about this rush job and don't want to support this half done port. I wonder what else they left out.[/QUOTE]

This gif is from the reveal like 5 months ago is it not?

OTIX

It's great that they're giving us these options. I really wish I could play Destiny in 60 fps with lower graphics.

93xfan

Banned

Besides, even if for some reason the PS4 version looked every so slightly worse than the PS3 version at times, for people who didn't own a PS3 this is a definite day 1 purchase. I played this game the day it was released on PS3 and loved every minute of it. I honestly didn't notice frame drops, problems with the camera or anything like that. I'm not saying they're not there, but they certainly didn't limit my enjoyment of the game in anyway. People complaining about a couple of missing shadows are just actively looking for reasons to complain. Minor things like this will never in a million years actually affect your enjoyment of the game.

First of all, not my gif, but the point remains.

Secondly, why has Naughty Dog been so secretive with showing us game play? They know it doesn't hold up to scrutiny so they give us some down sampled bullshots instead.

Third, the clothing wrinkle movement is gone as well. So the biggest thing you can take away from all this is that there may be plenty of other things missing that we haven't yet discovered.

maneil99

First of all, not my gif, but the point remains.

Secondly, why has Naughty Dog been so secretive with showing us game play? They know it doesn't hold up to scrutiny so they give us some down sampled bullshots instead.

Third, the clothing wrinkle movement is gone as well. So the biggest thing you can take away from all this is that there may be plenty of other things missing that we haven't yet discovered.

Source for clothing wrinkle being gone because the twitch stream right now has it. And that gif is from a reveal 3 months ago

Top Bottom