• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TLOU Remastered: 30 fps option gives better shadow quality [Up: Comparison GIF in OP]

Again, for like the 3rd time in this thread, what you are seeing in that pic is present in the PS3 version of the game. What you are seeing happens in some certain locations when you use your flashlight, the light causes an environmental bounce that lights up surrounding objects. The shadows in that bounced light have a relatively low sampling size, causing the "aliasing" you are seeing. The objects are still being rendered at full resolution, and if you look at that pic closely you can see that. It's the shadow in the bounced light that is "lower resolution." And because it is tied to the light/character's position, it is constantly in motion and shifting, thereby making it less noticeable in motion than in still form. And in most cases it isn't as noticeable as the pic constantly being posted in this thread. That is a very unique situation captured.

To see the same effect on both versions of the game, look at 1:15 in this IGN comparison, at the shelving in the upper left. You can see the lower res bounce shadow causing noticeable stair-stepping on the edge of the shelving, and you can also see the effect is noticeably lower resolution on PS3 than the PS4 version.

I don't get it? Where have I questioned that this was in the PS3 version as well? The whole point of my post was "It was like this in the PS3 version but so was a bunch of other stuff they fixed".
They should have increased the sampling size on PS4 if that's how it looks.

Really don't get why you explained the technique behind this again.

-griffy-

Banned
I don't get it? Where have I questioned that this was in the PS3 version as well? The whole point of my post was "It was like this in the PS3 version but so was a bunch of other stuff they fixed".

Because your questioning seemed like you needed to understand. And, as I pointed out, you can see the effect is improved over what's in the PS3 version. It appears to be about 2x the resolution, in line with what they have said about the shadows all along. They probably can't improve it more without the effect becoming too costly unless they rewrote things heavily. I think virtually all of us posting in this thread have little to no qualifications for saying what they could have and should have done.

I'm so glad that I'm able to play a game and not get hung up on some very minor mishaps. Most of the time I miss most of what some of you hyper critical people are seeing. It must suck to play games if you catch every little thing.

nOoblet16

They can't just increase it and get it to work.
That's about 60-70 lights intersecting to give the illusion of bounce lights there are limitations to the engine and the renderer even if the hardware itself is capable of doing it. Changing the way the engine handles few things means messing about with some things that could affect the entire renderer in a negative way considering the amount of rewrites it would involve. Having a ton of full resolution point lights on screen at a time could cause even the PS4 to chug, or maybe it was the engine that would cause the chugging. To get over this they would have required to come up with a different implementation to mimic bounce lighting from the flashlight.

What they improved in Remastered edition over the original is the texture resolution (they already had access to high quality textures), shadow resolution, framerate and rendering resolution...they didn't need to change the way the engine works for that. If you think it would be easy to just change the way they implement such a complex feature or just increase its sampling size by changing the value of the resolution of the samples then you ought to wonder why they couldn't just replace the lighting engine to make it like cutscenes or add other graphical features.

FairFight

Banned
I'm going to weigh in on all of this and keep in mind this is just my opinion. That being said I'm sure there are others out there that feel the same. First it has to be stated that I'm in my mid 30s and have always been a console gamer. As a result I have no experience on the PC side of things. Being a console gamer I've become very accustomed to games operating around the 30 fps mark. To me 60 fps just looks and feels unnatural. I strongly fall into the 30 fps feels more cinematic camp. Now I'm sure this is just a result of conditioning as I strongly prefer 24 fps in movies as well. Now here's where I take issue with TLOU remastered. To me it's clear that the priority in this 'remaster' was to make the game run at 60 fps in 1080p. They accomplished this however it's apparent some things had to be scaled back or removed completely. And yes I know it's a PS3 game and there's crazy architecture to contend with etc. I just don't understand the push this generation to make games 60 fps for the sake of saying "look it runs at 60 fps". If the push is in regards to console war nonsense it needs to stop. Give me finished great looking games at whatever stable framerate sees the developers vision through. I would have much rather had a 30 fps TLOU with upgraded everything rather than a game which sacrifices graphical fidelity to hit 60 fps. Just imagine what this game could have looked like if all those long hours and overnight coding sessions were used to enhance a game already running at a rock solid 30fps. Again just my opinion.

pushBAK

Atleast 'shadowgate' sounds kind of cool.

I'd prefer a smooth 60 frames per second vs slightly better shadows. I'm playing a game, not watching the game.

orochi91

I'm going to weigh in on all of this and keep in mind this is just my opinion. That being said I'm sure there are others out there that feel the same. First it has to be stated that I'm in my mid 30s and have always been a console gamer. As a result I have no experience on the PC side of things. Being a console gamer I've become very accustomed to games operating around the 30 fps mark. To me 60 fps just looks and feels unnatural. I strongly fall into the 30 fps feels more cinematic camp. Now I'm sure this is just a result of conditioning as I strongly prefer 24 fps in movies as well. Now here's where I take issue with TLOU remastered. To me it's clear that the priority in this 'remaster' was to make the game run at 60 fps in 1080p. They accomplished this however it's apparent some things had to be scaled back or removed completely. And yes I know it's a PS3 game and there's crazy architecture to contend with etc. I just don't understand the push this generation to make games 60 fps for the sake of saying "look it runs at 60 fps". If the push is in regards to console war nonsense it needs to stop. Give me finished great looking games at whatever stable framerate sees the developers vision through. I would have much rather had a 30 fps TLOU with upgraded everything rather than a game which sacrifices graphical fidelity to hit 60 fps. Just imagine what this game could have looked like if all those long hours and overnight coding sessions were used to enhance a game already running at a rock solid 30fps. Again just my opinion.

I agree. It's my main gripe with this remaster as well. This could have looked much
better than what is currently presented to us.

I'd have to agree. Good post.

They can't just increase it and get it to work.
That's about 60-70 lights intersecting to give the illusion of bounce lights there are limitations to the engine and the renderer even if the hardware itself is capable of doing it. Changing the way the engine handles few things means messing about with some things that could affect the entire renderer in a negative way considering the amount of rewrites it would involve. Having a ton of full resolution point lights on screen at a time could cause even the PS4 to chug, or maybe it was the engine that would cause the chugging. To get over this they would have required to come up with a different implementation to mimic bounce lighting from the flashlight.

What they improved in Remastered edition over the original is the texture resolution (they already had access to high quality textures), shadow resolution, framerate and rendering resolution...they didn't need to change the way the engine works for that. If you think it would be easy to just change the way they implement such a complex feature or just increase its sampling size by changing the value of the resolution of the samples then you ought to wonder why they couldn't just replace the lighting engine to make it like cutscenes or add other graphical features.
are there tech papers I can read or where are you getting this info from? Seems highly specific for a small part of the game.
But I'm guessing these are just assumptions.

Historically this kinda thing could be improved pretty easily, especially at 30 fps and in scenes where barely anything is going on.

I'm still waiting on confirmation that this wasn't just a glitch that was fixed with the day one patch lol.

scitek

It probably feels unnatural because video games aren't naturally made.

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
There's something ironic about people getting worked up on shadow environmental details, when they belittle the technical advance between 30 and 60fps. And vice versa. Especially when the option for both exist ingame. Whats the point of arguing? You're all getting what you want in the end.

N30RYU

Gold Member
I really feel ashamed... but seeing how bad some shadows look at 60fps... and i hadn't any problem with the PS3 framerate... I'll give a try locking it at 30fps.

I'm on your side in regards to this game, but a lot of people here feel like the "upgraded everything" is just a sacrifice on the frame rate. I think for this specific case it was a lot easier for ND to upgrade frame rate and resolution instead of adding more effects because, like many people have said, those are tied to the code that was painstakingly optimized for PS3.

nOoblet16

are there tech papers I can read or where are you getting this info from? Seems highly specific for a small part of the game.
But I'm guessing these are just assumptions.

Historically this kinda thing could be improved pretty easily, especially at 30 fps and in scenes where barely anything is going on.

I'm still waiting on confirmation that this wasn't just a glitch that was fixed with the day one patch lol.
It's just an educated guess just like I presumed that they are doing a VPL based GI works (and all of this is pretty logical considering the hardware, and how the effect looks)

Gestault

I disagree.

The concerns where shadow offsets give the appearance of completely missing lighting, or where lighting in some areas produces the blocky, roughly quarter-resolution appearance to the environments seem well outside of easily excused shortcomings, when the whole basis of the release is its technical optimizations. Those seem apparent enough to have been worth the effort to address.

-griffy-

Banned
The concerns where shadow offsets give the appearance of completely missing lighting, or where lighting in some areas produces the blocky, roughly quarter-resolution appearance to the environments seem well outside of easily excused shortcomings, when the whole basis of the release is its technical optimizations. Those seem apparent enough to have been worth the effort to address.

One of those seems like a bug that will hopefully be patched (offset/missing shadows in 60fps), the other seems like a limitation of the engine that may simply not be fixable in this release.

Kyoufu

I really feel ashamed... but seeing how bad some shadows look at 60fps... and i hadn't any problem with the PS3 framerate... I'll give a try locking it at 30fps.

I wonder what you'll notice more during gameplay. The quality of a shadow or that constantly higher frame rate.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I wonder what you'll notice more during gameplay. The quality of a shadow or that constantly higher frame rate.

There is absolutely an argument to be made for consistency.

A consistent 30fps can be adapted to.

The shadow resolution is inconsistent, and sometimes shadows are low res, other times they aren't. It's the kind of thing that may repeatedly stick out because it's different from everything else.

I could understand why a person might choose 30fps.

hawk2025

I agree. It's my main gripe with this remaster as well. This could have looked much
better than what is currently presented to us.

I'd have to agree. Good post.

I'm very, very glad you folks weren't the ones calling the shots.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Don't really see much of a difference when it comes to the shadows, personally

As has been mentioned elsewhere, it isn't all shadows that are affected, only some.

Example:

I think the images are up:
http://www.craveonline.com/gaming/articles/732969-30-vs-60-fps-a-the-last-of-us-remastered-shadows-comparison?slideshow=3429#/slide/1
7x.jpg

7b.jpg

Stuff like shadows from foliage and fences will be lower quality.

hawk2025

By the way, I'd like to tip my hat to JLeack for all his coverage of this.

I'm always (perhaps annoyingly) jumping on websites and previewers when they don't do it well, but I feel like this has been a professional and objective approach to the info.

Well done.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops

I'm always (perhaps annoyingly) jumping on websites and previewers when they don't do it well, but I feel like this has been a professional and objective approach to the info.

Well done.
TLOU truly is a story of redemption

nOoblet16

There is absolutely an argument to be made for consistency.

A consistent 30fps can be adapted to.

The shadow resolution is inconsistent, and sometimes shadows are low res, other times they aren't. It's the kind of thing that may repeatedly stick out because it's different from everything else.

I could understand why a person might choose 30fps.

But shadows and framerate are two different things.
Adapting to 30FPS is harder than adapting to lower quality shadows at 60FPS.

You also have to consider the benefits of temporal anti-aliasing you get from 60FPS when compared to 30FPS. The jagged edges of shadows will be less noticeable due to high framerate than it would in a still image.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

You're a brave man in this thread. Interesting point though. Arguably a remaster of TLoU should have kept the original framerate too (so 30). That would have allowed better shadows, or AA. They could have then chosen to dial back some settings to offer a 60fps mode. You'd perhaps end up with something similar to what we have, but the slightly different focus might have improved things at 30fps.

I wonder if part of the choice to go with 60fps was to experiment for their upcoming games?

nOoblet16

You're a brave man in this thread. Interesting point though. Arguably a remaster of TLoU should have kept the original framerate too (so 30). That would have allowed better shadows, or AA. They could have then chosen to dial back some settings to offer a 60fps mode. You'd perhaps end up with something similar to what we have, but the slightly different focus might have improved things at 30fps.

I wonder if part of the choice to go with 60fps was to experiment for their upcoming games?

But that's exactly what we have right now. -_-
And the reason they even have a 30FPS mode is for the "purists" (as said by the developer) who want to play at framerate similar to the original.

1. Learn how to use paragraphs

2. Cognitive dissonance

JLeack

Banned

Well done.

I appreciate that more than you know.

And to be clear, I still prefer the game at 60 FPS. My goal wasn't to make the game look ugly, but just to find out what the difference between the two settings are and share that with others.

Thrakier

Why so much words for a simple fact? To you it's more important how a game looks than how it plays. Legit opinion, just state it as what it is. Don't hide behind your age though, 60fps is a thing of the early 90s if anything.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
But shadows and framerate are two different things.
Adapting to 30FPS is harder than adapting to lower quality shadows at 60FPS.

You also have to consider the benefits of temporal anti-aliasing you get from 60FPS when compared to 30FPS. The jagged edges of shadows will be less noticeable due to high framerate than it would in a still image.

I definitely disagree that adapting to 30fps is harder than adapting to lower quality shadows, in terms of consistency.

My point is that if the game holds a constant 30, there is nothing out of place. The game runs at a consistent resolution, the shadows stay a relatively consistent quality throughout, and there aren't those additional technical hiccups that interrupt during gameplay and take your attention away from the gameplay or action at hand.

In 60fps mode, there is absolutely that huge benefit of increased framerate, but along with that comes some technical quirks like missing shadows, and lower resolution shadows. That alone wouldn't really be too noticeable, if it wasn't accompanied by much higher quality shadows (the prebaked ones) alongside it. It means that the player will see these crisp, high quality shadows directly alongside these pixellated, shimmery ones and that is inconsistent with the rest of the world. Because it's inconsistent it draws your attention and you'll notice it more regularly.

Playing in a lower frame rate (for most people) is something they will be able to consciously acknowledge once they start playing, but if it's solid never have to think about again.

icespide

Banned
I definitely disagree that adapting to 30fps is harder than adapting to lower quality shadows, in terms of consistency.

My point is that if the game holds a constant 30, there is nothing out of place. The game runs at a consistent resolution, the shadows stay a relatively consistent quality throughout, and there aren't those additional technical hiccups that interrupt during gameplay and take your attention away from the gameplay or action at hand.

In 60fps mode, there is absolutely that huge benefit of increased framerate, but along with that comes some technical quirks like missing shadows, and lower resolution shadows. That alone wouldn't really be too noticeable, if it wasn't accompanied by much higher quality shadows (the prebaked ones) alongside it. It means that the player will see these crisp, high quality shadows directly alongside these pixellated, shimmery ones and that is inconsistent with the rest of the world. Because it's inconsistent it draws your attention and you'll notice it more regularly.

Playing in a lower frame rate (for most people) is something they will be able to consciously acknowledge once they start playing, but if it's solid never have to think about again.

I feel like you really need to actually see the PS4 version in person before making grand sweeping statements like this based on screenshots.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I feel like you really need to actually see the PS4 version in person before making grand sweeping statements like this based on screenshots.

I think it's pretty apparent that the statements I'm making are based on the reasonable assumption that the screenshots available are representative of the game. Obviously if they find ways to improve the quality of these things in 60fps mode someone would have to reevaluate their decision.

And for emphasis, I haven't said "I am going to play on 30fps." I have said that I can understand why someone would play in 30fps mode, assuming that all of the information we have right now on the game is true.

Top Bottom