• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TLOU Remastered: 30 fps option gives better shadow quality [Up: Comparison GIF in OP]

d9b

Banned
Finally home :) I like how at the options screen (30/60 switch) you can notice the difference between fluidity vs shadows (curtains)... Quite clever from ND. I'll try both and we'll see how it goes. Great that we have a choice.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I agree, the PS3 shadows are evidently more inaccurate than the PS4 60 fps ones, but they look better, since they are softer. The 60 fps ones are so jaggy, that are even more noticeable. They should've been dithered or something like that. It's hard to unsee them.
It was not like that always on PS3. Most of the shadows cast by trees and stuff looked really bad on PS3, and are far better looking on PS4/60 mode. That particular screen I do like how the shadow blurs on PS3 though, but that's more of an exception than anything.

orochi91

Time for the 60fps crowd to accept the truth - people are better off with better graphics, rather then with higher fps.

my console games have looked ugly as all fuck for long enough. Jaggies all over the screen, blurry texturing, dull color pallets, slowdown, shimmering, you name it. Console developers are wizards for being able to do what they do with what they got, but still didnt stop the game from looking like ass half the time in motion.

On PC's, for the longest time they have had enough RAM and enough extra oomph even in mid-range systems to provide high levels of AA and AF and everything else to clean up the screen a ton.

Now this generation, finally, the systems have the RAM and the power to provide a clean screen. I want my games looking as good as possible on my living room television. I don't want my fucking screen looking like its shaking and moving around like it has ants or having a seizure along every border. Games like Infamous, so freakin good due to the screen being very clean and free of the usual horrors.

I'll play @ 30fps if it provides the better looking picture, without hesitation. Both 60 and 30 should provide a pleasant screen though, so, since I'm not at all bothered by 30, the better shadows is all I really need. Who knows, maybe I play at 60 and love it and never want to play at 30 again because the shadow difference in motion during gameplay isn't noticeable. We'll see.

In this case, I have to agree. I appreciate 60fps, but not when it comes at the expense
of visuals like it did in this port. You simply cannot unsee shoddy aspects of a game
when you notice them and this game has several (even in the 30fps mode!).

They look worse in a way, the PS3 ones were softer, more natural looking as it hid the jaggies better.

agree - I actually prefer the PS3 shadows. The PS4 ones are too contrasty, but also don't look much better resolution (maybe down to the also increased rendering resolution?)

Same with the self-shadowing - subtler on PS3 IMO.

It's true, I would have preferred if the shadows didn't contrast as much as they did.
Softer shadows would have been easier on the eyes, and would have hid the blocky
mess in the 60fps mode.

AO is still in. The radius has been dramatically shrunk, however (which is good. It was too big before). Their object space indirect occlusion trick they introduced in TLOU (wasn't in the Uncharted games, which used a purely image space AO) is one of its most important graphical effects, and its definitely still there.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Their object space indirect occlusion trick they introduced in TLOU (wasn't in the Uncharted games, which used a purely image space AO) is one of its most important graphical effects, and its definitely still there.
Thanks for confrming this. I thought that was probably the best thing about TLOU tech on PS3, and couldn't stop being impressed by it.

In this case, I have to agree. I appreciate 60fps, but not when it comes at the expense
of visuals like it did in this port. You simply cannot unsee shoddy aspects of a game
when you notice them
and this game has several (even in the 30fps mode!).

It's true, I would have preferred if the shadows didn't contrast as much as they did.
Softer shadows would have been easier on the eyes, and would have hid the blocky
mess in the 60fps mode.

True, but the same could be applied when going from 30fps, to 60fps, then trying to go back again. Once you experience that buttery smooth framerate, I imagine it would be pretty hard for some (most?) people to go back. You also have to take into account the fact that the shadows aren't all lower quality at 60fps. I guess you just have to decide if you want 60fps with "shoddy" shadows some of the time, or half the framerate all of the time (which affects gameplay and looks jittery in comparison) for the sharper shadows.

Hooray for options.

There is absolutely an argument to be made for consistency.

A consistent 30fps can be adapted to.

The shadow resolution is inconsistent, and sometimes shadows are low res, other times they aren't. It's the kind of thing that may repeatedly stick out because it's different from everything else.

I could understand why a person might choose 30fps.

Destiny Beta (with frame pacing fixed) and Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag are two locked 30 FPS games that I've thoroughly enjoyed recently without ever thinking to myself that I wish the game had ran at 60 FPS. I own a high-end PC too. 30 FPS is only an issue for me if the game has frame pacing issues and/or dips below 30 FPS to what I would call "unplayable" framerates, e.g. Thief, otherwise I'm perfectly fine with 30 FPS for console games. 60 FPS is better, obviously, but I'd generally take a locked framerate over an erratic one that is 30 FPS one second and 60 FPS the next.

That said, I want to experience TLOU at 60 FPS simply because the PS4 version can run at that framerate. I may try the 30 FPS lock too and even replay the game at that framerate as I'm absolutely confident that it would not bother me. However, the game runs above 45 FPS all the time from what I've read and that is the sweet spot for me for a playable 60 FPS experience so that is how I will be playing it for my first run through.

Beatrix

Maybe it really is preference, but for myself....I can't go back from 60 FPS. To me the benefit of 60 FPS outweighs graphics for the most part. I'm not gonna look around and be like "omg those shadows in the corner look awful!". What will stop me from playing a game is terrible FPS. Game play just feels too smooth and crisp at 60 FPS.

Artorias

Banned
Finally home :) I like how at the options screen (30/60 switch) you can notice the difference between fluidity vs shadows (curtains)... Quite clever from ND. I'll try both and we'll see how it goes. Great that we have a choice.

It looks like your perception has changed quite a bit in the last 3 hours.

Golly gee, I wonder what happened!

The game looks great at 60fps I assume people complaining about shadows haven't actually played the game yet. I see zero reason to lock it to 30fps at this point shadows looked fine in the first hour I played.

d9b

Banned
It appears you quit your pathetic trolling after being quoted by a mod. I guess you're not as dumb as you try to present yourself.
Pathetic trolling? Some of you guys/ girls are unbelievable. LoL!!!

Anyway, ignoring trolls (see what I did there Artorias) there's some funky things happening with shadows at the very beginning of the game (both 60 and 30 / are we ok to post screens? )
To go back to the topic, after playing for a bit there's no denying the sweet effect of fluidity at 60fps. Some shadows are jagged for sure, but I'm yet to encounter "the chainsaw" effect of some of the gifs posted here...again I'm at the very beginning of the game. We'll see how it goes.

dan2026

Guys you are being given the oppertunity to play this great game at 60fps!

Who gives a monkeys behind about a few shadows when you can play at TWICE the framerate!

Hell more than that considering the PS3 version ran between 20-30fps.

16BitNova

So i've played through the first 2 hours so far. And I must say that I was still not sure which FPS option I was going to choose even right before starting my play through. I started with the default (60), everything looks and feels great. Shadows look fine. They look like shadows. I switch to 30 fps about an hour in with a good section showcasing some shadows and I must say that there really isn't much of a difference. And then... I move. I walked around with joel and holy shit. The fluidity and even the crisp clean look of things is completely gone. I now honestly can say that this is one of those cases where if it wasn't for threads like these I wouldn't even notice or pay much attention to things like the slight difference in shadows (I know there are cases where its way more noticeable but, I feel these may be rare occurrences) or even that LOD problem with the flashlight and things looking lower res when not pointing directly at it.

There is no going back to 30 once I played with 60. The game just didn't feel right anymore. Nor in my opinion did it look as crisp and as good as before (with 60). Naughty Dog put 60 as default for a reason and I believe they were right in doing so. 60 fps honestly feels like the highlight of this Remaster.

JLeack

Banned
The game looks great at 60fps I assume people complaining about shadows haven't actually played the game yet. I see zero reason to lock it to 30fps at this point shadows looked fine in the first hour I played.

The first hour is dark. Wait until you arrive in the well lit areas.

What's your verdict then? Is that buttery smooth framerate too good to pass up, or did you decide to lock it at 30? I'm eager to know :p

So i've played through the first 2 hours so far. And I must say that I was still not sure which FPS option I was going to choose even right before starting my play through. I started with the default (60), everything looks and feels great. Shadows look fine. They look like shadows. I switch to 30 fps about an hour in with a good section showcasing some shadows and I must say that there really isn't much of a difference. And then... I move. I walked around with joel and holy shit. The fluidity and even the crisp clean look of things is completely gone. I now honestly can say that this is one of those cases where if it wasn't for threads like these I wouldn't even notice or pay much attention to things like the slight difference in shadows (I know there are cases where its way more noticeable but, I feel these may be rare occurrences) or even that LOD problem with the flashlight and things looking lower res when not pointing directly at it.

There is no going back to 30 once I played with 60. The game just didn't feel right anymore. Nor in my opinion did it look as crisp and as good as before (with 60). Naughty Dog put 60 as default for a reason and I believe they were right in doing so. 60 fps honestly feels like the highlight of this Remaster.

Good to see console gamers finally seeing the light. ;) This game will do a great job showcasing the beauty of 60fps.

JohngPR

Now that I've played the game for two hours, it's easy to see that 60fps > better shadows.

I don't know how much they plan to support this game via patches but I can see ND coming out with a 60fps shadow patch now that the game is out. Even then, it's not that big of a deal...it's only really noticeable if you are looking for it.

Please, if you are from ND, get out NOW!! You will thank me later.

I am in no way a graphical master, but wow, people miss some basic stuff. This is annoying.

1. a game tailored for a PS3 engine (and you know PS3 was some serious custom architecture), was ported to run in PS4 (pc based x86 architecture very different from said PS3)
2. said game is probably one of the best looking games on the PS3 next to Uncharted 3, so you bet there was a lot of PS3 optimization there.
3. now this applys to any computational HW: if shit runs at 60fps, shit needs resources to do 60fps properly and probably has to cut some graphical effects to achieve it, if shit has the option to run at 30, shit probably gets what was sacrificed for 60fps back and maybe add some other shit. Basic stuff, if sometime in your life you were a PC gamer you would understand this. Most PC gamers without a $3000 rig have to alter the settings in games to achieve a smooth 60fps.
4. I think it is a big mistake to use a Remaster game from a previous very different console to set the graphical capabilities of a new console, specially when you have Infamous SS and KZ SF already released.

This is just trolling at this point.

I love 60fps and I love MK8, even with aliasing, in motion looks great. Cannot wait for this game @60.

d9b

Banned
What's your verdict then? Is that buttery smooth framerate too good to pass up, or did you decide to lock it at 30? I'm eager to know :p
As annoying as you were ;) ... you were also right. Still not 100% happy about the shadows but by god there's no going back to 30 now.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
I bought the game today.

After work I'm going to go home and play the game at 60fps. I don't care about shadows, nor do I plan to sit there and analyze every bit of the game's visuals, because I'm not a loser. I bought the game because I want to play it.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
As annoying as you were ;) ... you were also right. Still not 100% happy about the shadows but by god there's no going back to 30 now.

beardedguyheadnod.gif

JohngPR

The 30fps shadows are factually better...I mean ND even said they were better in the patch notes for 1.01. They are not THAT much better though and in certain instances, the difference is negligible. This shouldn't really be an issue considering how consistently the game hits 60fps. It's no contest which is the better way to play. I put it on 30fps just to see the improved shadows and one quick pan of the camera had me going into the pause menu to set it back to off with the quickness.

:p

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I personally can't see a difference. Is this only for preset shadow effects in the game?
Enhancement applies to some shadows, not all. IMO, it's the kind of thing that's completely meaningless while playing, and only really noticeable if you stop close to some wall and start observing a shadow specifically.

Popup

Seen as people seem willing to cull FPS for a slightly better image quality, how about playing the entire game, frame by frame in Photo Mode? Surely this is the true definitive remastered and reloaded version?

terrible

Banned
Loaded the game with 30 FPS enabled for this one and switched to 60 FPS on the fly to get both screenshots.

30 FPS
60 FPS

Re-loaded the game with 60 FPS enabled and switched to 30 FPS.

30 FPS
60 FPS

For some reason the game looks way more jaggy for me than it does in the screenshots I've seen from other people. These are direct screenshots from a capture card too (Elgato Game Capture HD). No doubt I've got something messed up on my end somehow lol.

For the record you'd have to pay me to play in 30 FPS mode over 60 FPS mode. I don't even notice the shadow difference while I'm playing since I don't blankly stare at lamp posts or fire escapes all the time but I can feel the 60 frames a second when playing at all times.

Top Bottom